L&W Oyster Co
254 5th Ave.
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
L&W Oyster Co
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.landwoyster.com/
- Phone: 212-203-7772x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon: 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
Tue - Fri: 11:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Sat: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jason Weiner and David Belknap (Chef de Cuisine)
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from L&W Oyster Co
Located steps from Madison Square Park and the Empire State Building, L&W Oyster Co. features an array of the finest East and West coast oysters, as well as classic clam shack fare -- like Lobster BLTs, Oyster Po' Boys -- and beautiful fish entrees that showcase sustainable seafood and local produce. L&W Oyster Co. is a fun, accessible place where people can grab a fish sandwich and some pickles at lunch, then oysters and martinis after dark.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L&W Oyster Co reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (10)good for groups (7)romantic (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Very attentive serviceCyradVIPDined on 10/16/2014Kobe sliders and crab cakes were great. Tuna wrap appetizers were just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good was really disappointingEel09Dined on 10/10/2014Service was fine. After being sat nr the exit and complaining about a draft, the hostess closed the door for is. Really just had a problem with the food - deviled eggs, paella, kale salad were all underwhelming.
- Good EnergyDonLDined on 10/7/2014Busy with a varied crowd from after work drinkers to groups of friends and a fair number of couples on dates. The seafood is fresh and there are some original options like the lobster deviled eggs and lobster BLT. Good beer list.Special Features:
- Great little spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014Lovely little spot with excellent oysters and an array of small plates and mains. Our server was wonderful, and don't miss the burnt toffee cake with creme fraiche ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow. I loved this place!SavorsomeDined on 10/3/2014Perfect find. From my first cocktail (a twist on a Cosmo) I knew I'd love this place. Super cool looking with friendly staff and the food was to die for. Can't wait to come back for the lobster club. It looked amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrendous food!JuliaDined on 9/19/2014The quality of the food was so bad I couldn't believe this was New York. Sand in the raw oysters, though staff nicely replaced them. Hideous paella with over-cooked shellfish, a grossly immense prawn or fish, soggy, leaden rice, no flavor, not a trace of saffron. Had the cook never seen a recipe nor ever tasted a paella? House salads' vinaigrette was all black pepper, no olive oil or vinegar. The only good thing was clams casino. It cost $81.00 for two with no drinks. We could have had a delicious and beautiful dinner at The Breslin for less. Disgusted and will never return.
- Thumbs up for the Lobster BLTNedstandDined on 9/12/2014I'm always on the lookout for another great lobster roll, or variation. Found L&W via a Yelp search and was not disappointed. Started with an Asparagus and Scallop appetizer that was very good. Lobster BLT hit the spot. Casual spot for lunch was just right for me and a buddy.Special Features:
- Very creative seafood!!DeniseVIPDined on 8/26/2014I love this place!! The menu creatively changes so there is always something new to try. I was not a true oyster fan until I ate here. The service is fast and efficient. The drink menu is great. But key is that you get great food at a fairly reasonable price!!!Special Features:
- Excellent oysters, relaxed settingalkinnycVIPDined on 8/23/2014I went here with my boyfriend rather late on a Saturday night. We started off with a dozen oysters (2 of each on the menu), so we each got to try all the 6 different kinds they offered, which came with a little receipt printout of which were which, so we could note our favorites (a nice touch). We also had the ceviche (perfect!) and the salmon tartare (not so much), as well as the grilled asparagus/calamari (exceptionally delicious!) and the crabcake (average). The casual atmosphere was relaxed, but far from boring. The decor is nautically themed, without being kitschy. The mason jar/candle light fixture in the front was cool, and the booths have magnetic word poetry, so you can have a creative outlet in between courses.Special Features:
- Strong effortJasonVIPDined on 8/21/2014Excellent menu, creative twists...and unique cocktails to match. Fun, vibrant scene. The house-made goldfish, oyster crackers are a must. As are the lobster deviled eggs and the shrimp corn dogs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findFeedmeVIPDined on 8/20/2014A great restaurant. The cocktails are superb and the food delicious.Special Features:
- Hip, casual and funHappycamper1VIPDined on 8/20/2014L&W has great informal food (not just seafood), a fun atmosphere and decor, is great for lunch (with sunny windows on Fifth Avenue) and happening in the evening (both at the bar and the tables). The staff are friendly and informal but efficient. And it is not that hard to get a table (always a plus in my mind). So I recommend highly if you are looking in the Madison Square/NoMad area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumhduckieDined on 8/17/2014Love the mix of foods presented in a way I wouldn't think. Lobster Deviled Eggs..........amazing!!!!!!!! Jalapeno Sangria - awesome. As much as I loved the entrees it was the homemade peanut butter ice cream that really made my tummy happy.Special Features:
- Dissapointment. Wont be back.GlobalDined on 8/16/2014Oyster co was recommended by my brother in law, someone whoes opinion I always value, especially when it comes to restaurants and bars. Unfortunately, this one turned out to be dissapointing.. Our waitress only seemed interested in trying to sell us the most expensive wine on the menu, one which didnt fit our dishes at all, and the dishes thenselves werent pretty good either.. We irder the tuna ceviche and salmon tartare as started and the ceviche was basically a tartare and the salmon tartare was a horrible tasting salmon salade that had an overkill of creme fraiche.. Our mains (lobster blt and the burger) were alright but way to overpriced. I only had a couple of tiny pieces of lobster on the blt but they asked the grand prize for it.
- Great Food AmbienceEliz881VIPDined on 8/7/2014Great Food- Great Ambience- Great NEW spot!!! Lobster Deviled Eggs, Amazing Fish Tacos, Nice Wine, Great GREAT OYSTERS!Special Features:
- Great seafoodFoodie123456Dined on 8/2/2014Great seafood and ambience. Perfect for dinner with friends or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun, lively, delicious, easyHappycamper1VIPDined on 7/23/2014L&W is bright, informal, lively with delicious and simple sea food and related items. Usually easy to get a table but plenty full. Reasonably priced. Engaging staff. A great find for lunch or dinner (when it gets more crowded)Special Features:
- Ceviche is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014The salmon ceviche was excellent along with the crackers they served with it. The jumbo shrimp were crisp and full of flavor. Sometimes they can be mealy and tasteless. The Lobster roll was good and most would rave, but having spent many summers in Maine, eating the best lobstah rolls out there, I'm prejudice. I just prefer the old hot dog roll over the the bready challah roll it is served on at L&W, but it was good. Very professional and friendly staff. There was a troubled woman sitting at the bar and I mean mentally unstable. They handled her with compassion and looked out for the comfort of their patrons. Very impressed on how they handled it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodmavenVIPDined on 7/20/2014Went there with a friend at 3:30 in the afternoon. The restaurant was fairly empty. Waitress told us that the Lobster BLT was large eough to share. We decided to order both a lobster roll and a lobster BLT and we shared half of each. They were served with chips. BLT was $26 and lobster roll $17. Aside from the fact that they were simply regular size sandwiches, they had very little lobster. Had we shared one, we would have been starving. Would not return to this overpriced sandwich shop.
- The following 177 reviews are from the L&W Oyster Co reviews archive.
- Bring back the knuckle sandwich!scottyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Food was awesome though slightly disappointed because my favorite was taken off the menu; the knuckle sandwich. One of the best lobster rolls I have had! That said everyone in my party loved their food. Lobster omelette was outstanding. Wait service needed to be tightened up a bit as they were very friendly and welcoming however orders were not accurately taken. Still I will come back. Food is spot on! But PLEASE bring back the knuckle sandwich!Special Features:
- Great little neighborhood placeSusanDined on 6/15/2014Great food and blood Mary's made with tequila are fantastic. But, beware, this is a very expensive place. For the 5 of us, the meal was over $350!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day Brunchtinman2ironmanDined on 6/15/2014Good food and drinks. Service was perfect, gave us space when necessary allowing our party to catch up yet provided timely refills, food orders and desert options. We sat at the best table of the house, right up front with the doors open!Special Features:
- Great SeafoodjennDined on 6/14/2014What a fantastic night at L$W. The only downside was there was only 1 beer on the menu. They ran out of the other 2? Limited list on alcohol but food and ambience is fantastic!Special Features:
- Cool, Cool, Cool!NutterbutterDined on 6/12/2014I had lunch on a hot muggy Tuesday. We sat in the cool room in the rear. We tried all the oyster which were fresh and delicious! I went there because I've heard the best Lobster Roll in New York is there. i was not disappointed! It's served with arugula, sriracha aioli and bacon. How can you go wrong? We also had a Salad Nicoise Salad with perfectly seared tuna. Service was on point. The staff is friendly and sexy. I'm looking forward to my next meal at L & W!Special Features:
- BEST Creative Lobster DishesscottyVIPDined on 6/7/2014I was a little late to this place but i can say Ed's Lobster bar has a new rival for best Lobster Roll! My guest had an amazing Lobster BLT…. Even the pickles and home made chips were exceptional…. Also try the Deviled egg with lobster… pretty awesome… Service was friendly and spot on… Can't wait to get back here with friends from out of town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for OystersEsclownVIPDined on 6/6/2014The oysters were very good the rest of the menu is limited. We had a good time great drinks and a nice wine list help but the service while friendly was too slow and a bit confused.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L&WPATEEATSVIPDined on 6/5/2014The food was excellent and creative. Who doesn't love homemade goldfish crackers and a whack at depp-fried olives?? The service was so insanely off that it became comical. But out group of 9 had a great time. We were not rushed. We truly loved our night there -- an evening out should always be about the people you're with, everything else follows, so we had a great time and i would go back.Special Features:
- Clj0215VIPDined on 5/30/2014Found a blonde strand of hair BAKED into our homemade goldfish "snack" dish. Food is mediocre at best (tuna salad was decent, lobster was overcooked and mussels were eh) and overpriced. Service was decent and there's a great ambience here but unfortunately I would not return.
- Unique FoodrachelDined on 5/23/2014I have been to L&W Oyster several times and it is consistently great. The food is unique without being foreign. Great wine too.Special Features:
- Midtown Oyster HavenSEMGuruVIPDined on 5/23/2014For anything oyster, this is the place. The rest of the menu is great too, both oyster based and otherwise.Special Features:
- Oyster Heaven!TipsfromTerranceDined on 5/16/2014We love this great little gem we found in our neighborhood serving some of the freshest oysters in town! The rest of the menu is pretty great too with a special shoutout to an awesome brunch selection. The staff is friendly, laid back and helpful. L&W has a great selection of oysters, some we've never had before which is a fun plus. We'll continue to patronize this great spot with hopes that not too many others discover it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingBeskevDined on 5/9/2014Aside from the service being very inattentive and borderline disdainful, nothing we had made me feel like I had to come back again. The mussels were ok, the flTbread was fair, but you barely tasted the squid. But the best part were the oysters, which I credit them only with catching a fresh variety and opening them, something g I could do if I go to Chelsea fish market first.Special Features:
- Highly recommend!SaJ1VIPDined on 5/2/2014After having a first visit to this restuarant in which I was very disappointed with their service, I received an incredibly thoughtful note from the owners apologizing and asking for the opportunity to give the restuarant another chance. I'm so delighted we did!! The service was excellent and as experienced my first time the food is consistently outstanding, too. It is an adorable inviting restuarant that has an energetic vibe. We were joined by out of town visitors who are huge foodies who thoroughly enjoyed the experience as much as we did. Cheers to L&W for sincerely caring so much about their customers' satisfaction!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great group mealnewyorkerVIPDined on 5/1/2014went on a thursday night for a special birthday dinner with a large group (8). big long table excellent for that. service was great - always ready with a drink replacement, some water or to check in. oysters are of course delicious (plenty of choices) - other standouts are the mussles, the salads, the burger and the homemade goldfish crackers. delightful!Special Features:
- KistyNYCVIPDined on 4/30/2014Another awesome meal at L&W. It's my go to spot for the best oysters in NYC. Thanks very much!Special Features:
- love this placeemilVIPDined on 4/25/2014have been here twice in the past couple of months, and the oysters are delicious! I don't always like oysters, but they serve them with good accompaniments. Also, a good wine selection, a couple of good beers available too. We also got the lobster bacon blt's which were awesome and also the fish tacos. Everything was incredible.Special Features:
- Fun seafoodMemlouiseVIPDined on 4/18/2014Visiting from SF, we loved this off the main path seafood place with creative cuisine, good wine and fun magnet boards. Service was friendly and helpful. Loved the mini oyster tacos and broccoli caesar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2014Pulpo, baked oysters, paella all really good. Raw bar fresh, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, distracted serviceFriendlyFoodFanDined on 4/12/2014Great oysters. Good drinks. But our server was distracted and forgetful. We had to ask repeatedly for simple things. It felt like he was trying to do everything without ever finishing one thing.
- Still Flying Under the Radar...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/9/2014...But it shouldn't! This is a stand-out seafood (read: OYSTER) joint on an increasingly busy strip of 5th ave. Go! They have the best east coast oysters (especially Long Island/Montauk oysters) in the city: bright, saline and bracingly fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.