939 N. Ashland
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kyusushi.com/
- Phone: 7737725985
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Kyu Sushi
Kyu Sushi is located in Ukrainian Village/ Bucktown area. We are a BYOB sushi spot serving up traditional and signature maki, nigiri and sashimi. Come try some of our favorite appetizers such as teriyaki beef-wrapped asparagus, shumai and gyoza. Or try our extensive sushi menu ranges from delicious California rolls to the more inventive (the Dark Knight, a spicy tuna, mango and avocado roll topped with black tobiko and mango sauce). For variety, try our sashimi or assorted sushi box, available in large and small sizes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kyu Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
- yum!KenjVIPDined on 7/25/2013Sushi was yummy! Would give higher ranking but the server was terrible. She ignored us when we were asking questions and was more interested in her coke and her phoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2013I don't know if something changed since we were last at Kyu, but our overall experience was not as good as previous ones. The 3 musketeers roll was delicious, but the crunch roll was over done. The other rolls and nigiri was good, but not as good as the last time we were there. I did appreciate that our water glasses were refilled regularly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2013I was not impressed with this place at all. When we got there no one was in the restaurant. They were rude, not accommodating, and wouldn't cook the food to my liking. I would never go back. My boyfriend did say his sushi was fresh.
- The restaurant has a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013The restaurant has a very appealing atmosphere, although a little small. The menu has a wide selection of sushi. The wasabi shumai were delicious and had a kick. The food tasted good but the price seemed a bit high for the amount of food given. There are other sushi places in the area that offer a good selection with larger portions as well as dipping sauces for the roll for an equal or cheaper price.Special Features:
- Honestly everything was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2013Honestly everything was great, I think we were just there on a bad night. We were literally the only people on the whole place for a large portion of the meal.
- A hidden gem for sure. FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/18/2013A hidden gem for sure. Fresh fish, creative rolls and byob is the ideal combo for a sushi spot in the city.
- Bad English, Great Everything ElseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Took the girlfriend here and we were surprised at how busy it was, how city like the music and decor was, the food was great and we really enjoyed ourselves. Could not understand any one member of the staff's English on the phone or in person though.Special Features:
- the rolls are inventive andGoodEatzVIPDined on 10/9/2012the rolls are inventive and the fish is pretty fresh. if you're looking for simple maki rolls, go elsewhere as most everything is covered in sauce. try the Caramel Crunch (if you have a sweet tooth), Pro Best, Triple A and the Drunken Master. Skip the spicy miso soup...Special Features:
- Excellent sushi and more!PRudnickVIPDined on 9/25/2012Fantastic! Make sure to ask the server for their recommendations - you'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the fun rolls you may pass up that are excellent. Favorites include the caramel crunch, the dark knight and the red dragon. Make sure to try an appetizer - the buns are amazing and save room for dessert.Special Features:
- Good at being GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/21/2012If you want good sushi and pan-asian food without all the hype this is a spot for you.Special Features:
- After reading several reviewsFoodAnonVIPDined on 7/13/2012After reading several reviews on various sites, I expected Kyu to be much, much better than it was. After literally tripping in the front door because of the uneven flooring at the entrance, we were greeted by a somewhat sullen staff, a dank smell, and a generally depressing atmosphere. We were tempted to just leave, but decided to give it a chance. We tried several items, including several "test" pieces of nigiri and the scallop creme brulee. None of it was terrible (although some of the nigiri was practically frozen), but there is much, much better sushi available at any number of sushi spots around the city. In fact, we left Kyu and went to Arami, which was amazing.
- The rolls here were outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012The rolls here were outstanding - very unique and flavorful. They also had ice buckets ready to keep our beverages cold on an hot night(BYOB). Will definately be back.Special Features:
- A perfect sushi place in the hood!PRudnickVIPDined on 6/29/2012Can't say enough good things about Kyu Sushi. This is a true neighborhood gem and we'll keep on going back for more. Tried the rainbow roll this time and it was divine, the perfect mix of fresh salmon, tuna and avocado. There was also this very refreshing watermelon, jalapeno and red onion salad that came on the house that was the perfect appetizer on a hot day. Also, if you haven't tried it, their calamari is some of the best I've tasted! Run, don't walk to Kyu!Special Features:
- EXCELLENT sushi! My husbandJoannaDined on 6/22/2012EXCELLENT sushi! My husband & I drive past about 30 sushi places to get to this one. So worth it!Special Features:
- Best Sushi, Best ServicePRudnickVIPDined on 4/28/2012Hands down the best sushi in the city. The rolls are fresh, creative and always made to order. But what really sets this place apart is the service. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to always be greeted with a smile and to always have your favorite table reserved, no matter how busy the restaurant is. My boyfriend and I love Kyu and we will continue to go there, and only there, for our weekly sushi fix...yes, sometimes it's twice a week!Special Features:
- Really enjoyed Kyu. Laid back,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/14/2012Really enjoyed Kyu. Laid back, no sushi snobbery, just really good food. Service was good. Atmosohere was cool, the crowd drew all different kinds if people, mosrly young. Would reccomend.Special Features:
- Small little restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2012Small little restaurant with maybe 10 tables, but they also have some outdoor tables in the summer. Nice and elegant decor, the food is great, and staff are very polite. Such a fun and interesting menu with delicious special maki rolls. The red dragon rolls are amazing. They also deliver which is a plus since weekend nights can have longer wait times due to the restaurant's size. I wish they had other locations as my new neighborhood is lacking in good quality affordable sushi. Plus it's BYO.Special Features:
- Great little BYOB sushi spot!angelalynn28Dined on 4/2/2012All of the seafood was very fresh and they have some fun, interesting Maki (roll) recipes. Of the sushi places we've been to in the area, I'd rate this second behind SeaDog. My husband thought they were tied. The atmosphere is a strange, a little modern, a little funky, but cozy and nice at the same time. Prices were very fair and it's byob, which is always a plus!Special Features:
- One of my neighborhood favorites!allisonrDined on 3/23/2012This is my go-to sushi place in Noble Square. I LOVE this place and order regularly. The staff is very accommodating and the value is perfect - great price and good food to match!Special Features:
- Fresh and spicyOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/3/2012Each dish was really good. We had the poki which was fresh and spicy, the cucumber salad which was nice and the gomai which had a great peanut sauce. I also lIke that it is a byob, to keep cost down. This place can get really loud though because its small with concrete floors. It was Friday night and lots of places had long waits, so I made a reservation on opentable 15 minutes prior and was able to get a able. I've been to tons of sushi places and this one is good. I'll come back.
- Fun With Friends!NOLASteeladyDined on 11/11/2011The food was amazing. The have some very interesting combinations -- have fun with the menu, mix, match and share among your table -- we did and it was such fun to see how each person reacted to the different dishes we ordered. I am not a big sushi eater but thoroughly enjoyed everything and will definitely return. Great location -- easy street parking, very intimate. Overall, a fun evening with great food and friends!Special Features:
- This place is a great localOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2011This place is a great local sushi place! The service is always great and the sushi is creative and great tasting!Special Features:
- Kyu Sushi is amazing. ThisallisonrDined on 9/23/2011Kyu Sushi is amazing. This is my go-to sushi place since moving into this neighborhood over a year ago. The sushi is delicious and it's very affordable - it is such a good value!Special Features: