Kurah Mediterranean Tapas
1355 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Kurah Mediterranean Tapas
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kurahchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 624-8611
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dan Sarkiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Catering: Catering options available. Please contact General Manager.
A word from Kurah Mediterranean Tapas
Mediterranean tapas in the South Loop offers wonderful, traditional Mediterranean dishes as well as unique and exotic twists on staple Mediterranean dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kurah Mediterranean Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (19)romantic (16)good for groups (14)special occasion (12)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Service!MellyDined on 11/12/2014I love this place, it's the second time I've been and it doesn't disappoint. Food is wonderful, and of course great to share. It has been added to my must eat at restaurants when I'm in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine at your own risk.DeNeceBVIPDined on 11/9/2014A horrible experience at this restaurant. They refuse to serve rice until 4:00. And this is suppose to be a Mediterranean restaurant? People, dine at your own risk!
- Great food!EmilychicagoDined on 11/8/2014We live in the South Loop and have been meaning to visit Kurah for a while. When we saw that it had just made the Bib Gourmand list, we went and it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date spotSaraDinesChiDined on 11/7/2014Between the two of us, we split falafel, pomegranate tabouli, stuffed grape leaves (beef) and the kebbeh tripoli. Plus chocolate walnut baklava for dessert. The tabouli was a bit sweet for my tastes, but a nice alternative to the traditional. The falafel was amazingly creamy on the inside, crunchy on the outside. Perfectly spiced. Stuffed grape leaves were good but not to my tastes. The kebbeh tripoli were incredibly flavorful. Atmosphere was hip without being obnoxious, buzzing but not too loud. Good date spot. Can't wait to go back and try the bacon wrapped dates and hummus! Definitely make a reservation on the weekend though. We did and still had a brief wait (Friday night), but it was well worth it and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, fairly priced.cmacalusoDined on 11/7/2014The highlight of the night was the roasted quail, which I totally recommend. The other things we ordered were less impressive: the malmoud was comforting but slightly bland, the lamb shank was too sweet and orangey and the initial fried dumplings were tasty but not as crispy as I hoped. Dessert was a supposedly rose-scented flan but really tasted like a store-bought creme caramel. Finally, I had a Lebanese rose' wine that was good value (8$/glass) and went well with the dishes. My boyfriend's martini and red wine were also good, but not to die for. Service was very good, though. All in all, this place is good value for money. The food is good and the ambiance is very romantic and cozy, perfect for date night.
- Good could be GreatshaneVIPDined on 11/5/2014The tapas and soup is delicious and the portions are fair for a small plates spot. Three tapas selections and a soup to split would be sufficient for two people. Food is flavorful and appealingly presented. There is a reasonable selection of red and white wine offerings by the glass and the restaurant has a cozy feel to it. Unfortunately service is poor. Over 15 minutes waiting for drinks left a somewhat unpleasant undertone to the service that persisted throughout the meal. Sadly this does seem to be a theme at this establishment. In our case the poor service was not enough to spoil the experience and we'll give it another try but a repeat will probably cause us to look elsewhere in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Mediterranean evolved.AnthemBirdyDined on 10/25/2014Kurah continues to be one of my favorite restaurants. The food takes mediterranean up a notch with exquisite seasoning and luscious presentation. The atmosphere is pleasing and warm. The noise level is acceptable and it is easy to hold a conversation while tasting all the yummy tapas. It is consistently delicious and appealing to meat eaters and non meat eaters alike.Special Features:
- Good but could use some workNew2southloopDined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful server, Lindsey. She took great care of us. As did the hostess and bar manager. My main qualms are that the dishes were a bit underwhelming for their price range for my wife, and the sauce on my braised lamb basically ruined the dish it was so strong, along with a poorly prepared Moscow mule, but my wife's fig martini was delicious. Basically everything was great except the food/drinks, exceptions being the fig martini and the bacon wrapped figs. I hope they can get some new chef talent in to make their higher end dishes more reflective of their price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theklevVIPDined on 10/9/2014My friends and I went there last night prior to going to a performance at The Dance Center of Columbia College and were pleasantly surprised. Loved the ambiance, service was great and the food was extraordinary. My favorite dish was the Lamb Flatbread, but all the Tapas Items were great. And, the larger sharing plates were excellent too. We shared the Duck Shwarma platter. It was my first time there, but not my last.Special Features:
- so excitedSusanVIPDined on 10/1/2014We just moved into the South Loop and had dinner here on a whim-- how wonderful! The space is small yet inviting and the open areas and upstairs gave it a warm feeling. We were greeted promptly by friendly wait staff and seated right on time. The food arrived quickly and was very tasty. I especially liked the spaghetti squash. The hummus had a good amount of tahini (which I enjoy) and the portions were very generous for tapas. The large basket of warm pita was enough for 5 dishes. We also had a soda and a glass of really good Pinot Noir, all for under $50 before tip. We'll definitely be back, maybe next time with another couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, tasty, relaxingOptimisticVIPDined on 9/20/2014Kurah is a great blend of accessible eating for the unadventurous and interesting eating for the consumers who are delighted by slightly different and delicious versions of meditterannean food. I just wish they had whole grain pita or crackers rather than endless white bread.Special Features:
- What a jewel!chicagotimes2Dined on 9/20/2014I recently had a fantastic dinner here and can't wait to come back. Everything we ordered had unique, delicious flavors - from the appetizers to dessert. This has definitely made my list of favorite spots in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will dine there again!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014I really enjoyed the food and ambiance at Kurah. Also had very good falafels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service!BigDaveDined on 9/1/2014Try the kabob plate! The bacon wrapped dates are great! Looking forward to our next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific TapasKit123Dined on 8/2/2014Four of us dined here recently while on vacation to Chicago. What a lovely little restaurant! Our server, Lindsay, was excellent and allowed us to sample a sparkling wine, since the one we wanted wasn't available. We shared the spicy potatoes with aoli (excellent), falafels (good), spinach, feta and caramelized pies (fabulous) and the deep fried dumplings (very good). For our entrees, two shared the lamb shank (excellent), biryani (very good) but the stand out was the Kifta (ground beef/lamb) platter. Reasonably priced and a very fun evening.Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Kurah Mediterranean Tapas reviews archive.
- sodium chlorideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014If you want a salt fix this is the place. Has great potential but the food was way over seasoned.Special Features:
- Nice experienceJimmyDined on 7/14/2014First time experience very nice. Unique dishes without pretense. Everything fresh and nice size. Waitstaff very nice. Will look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid addition to the South LoopolivesDined on 7/11/2014This is my second visit to Kurah and I am not disappointed. I recommend the spicy potatoes and falafel as an appetizer, chicken kabob platter, salmon and grilled shrimp as entree choices. I doubt you will be disappointed. Service was attentive, but my only qualm was that we were a table of 5, and had gratuity automatically added on - although it clearly stated on the menu that gratuity was automatically added for parties of 6 or more. It would have also been nice if the server would have taken it upon himself to bring our a birthday dessert for our guest because he was well aware it was a birthday celebration. Maybe then the automatic gratuity would have been justified. Just saying....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If u r in a real hurry try Kurah!EatfastwhyenjoyDined on 7/5/2014The food was excellent but not enjoyable because it was all served so quickly. They never gave u any time to savor the tastes of each choice. We ordered two cold tapas appetizers and a beef and lamb skewer combination. The first two appetizers were served while the bottle of wine was being opened. We had not finished half of the first appetizer when the beef and lamb skewers were served. There were at least four or five open tables so the rushed service could not have been because of a desire to turn tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun mix of Arab and SpanishGregVIPDined on 7/5/2014Tapas with a Lebanese flourish. A nice dining experience. We are very happy to have this dining option in our neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in the south loop.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/21/2014I have been serveral times and have not had a bad experience. Service is attentive and the Food is fresh and flavorful. I highly recommend brining friends so you can try everything. Mussels are not to be missed, every small and share plate is great and the humus as well. Its very tasty and worth the small charge, dont skip it just beacuse its "just humus". Finally if you go and dont have the Bacon wrapped dates....you must be a vegitarian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too authentic mediterraneanOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/18/2014Went with a group of three- the service was fine- the portions were small especially the salads which really did not taste authentic mediterranean or lebanese e.g. The tabbouleh did not taste anything like the real one and was so tiny portion which was ok as it was not tasty- the meat dishes were acceptable
- BChicagoDined on 6/13/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Kurah. I was surprised to arrive at 7pm on Friday and when I was told that I did not have a reservation. Luckily, I had made the reservation on Open Table several days prior. I showed the confirmation email to the hostess. She was very apologetic and friendly, and found a table for us quickly.Special Features:
- Good Mediterranean Food n AmbianceEpiphanyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Nice restaurant In the South Loop...odd was good especially their version of pita... it was probably 100 .calories a chip... that's how good it was...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014We were pleasantly surprised with how delicious the food was here. The pita chips were addictive and the food was refreshingly delicious. I would recommend the spaghetti squash. The mussels were cooked well, but some of them were stinky.Special Features:
- Girls' night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014This place was perfect for catching up with friends that have not been together in awhile. The food was delicious and the ambience was perfect. I would highly recommend for a date/double date night or a outing with a small group (3-5) friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceaps420Dined on 5/16/2014We were a group of 9. We were tucked in a quiet alcove. It was a little cramped. The server helped us choose an appropriate number of plates to share. She was quick to add more when my 19 yr old, hockey player son was still hungry. Definitely recommend the beef kabob.Special Features:
- everything was so good except riceCarlaVZVIPDined on 5/13/2014Tried hummus, kubbeh, chicken kabobs and salmon and all were very high quality and delicious but they put so much seasoning (I think it may be saffron?) that it tastes like perfume...if they offered plain rice it would be my favorite Mediterranean place.Special Features:
- kurahwendyDined on 5/10/2014We've been there at least four times and had a great meal each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern middle eastern foodbuttercupDined on 5/3/2014Great food, nice atmosphere, very cozy, I have been to msny middle eastern restaurants but Kurah add a modern twist to traditional middle eastern food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We arrived on time for our reservation but had to wait 20-30min for our table. Furthermore when filling out the reservation request on open table it asked for any special accomadations- to which I listed it was our wedding anniversary. Nothing was mentioned by kurah staff. Great food however, especially the lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Make ReservationsEFSloopVIPDined on 4/25/2014Kurah is a small spot, so reservations are a definite plus! Definitely recommend the hummus and bacon wrapped dates to try. The goat cheese in the bacon wrapped dates were a bit overpowered by the other flavors, but still good. My boyfriend really enjoyed the spinach and onion pie, though I found it to be too crusty for my liking. The lamb/beef shawarma was good, not great. The food came out at a faster pace than we expected for tapas, so it didn't feel as leisurely. Service was attentive in the beginning but wane towards the end. Overall, good place for the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas goodksnickelVIPDined on 4/25/2014Loved the Bacon Wrapped dates; will go back just for those. Just had tapas and will go back to try more. Shared the Bacon Wrapped Dates, Cerviche, Falafals; and another dish... plus had the Rose flavored Flan with Pistachios.. good wine list - tried a portuguese white that went great with the tapas. Coffee was great and had a really nice sherry after.. Will go backSpecial Features:
- Another great mealHurrah4KurahDined on 4/25/2014We went for our anniversary. Our waiter recognized us and even remembered what kind of wine my wife likes. They always put a basket of warm pita bread accompanied by a tray of olives, olive oil and spices on the table. We ordered the vegetarian grape leaves, lamb shank and flan and split everything. This has become our favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Went to Kurah a week ago and just went back again. The small plates are superb and the charming ambience is perfect for dinner and conversation. They ran out of a couple of dishes fairly early in the evening, but the alternatives were not disappointing. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Excellent!JesseDined on 4/4/2014Loved the food, atmosphere, and service. I actually really loved being able to sit upstairs. I still felt like I was in the same room as the other guests downstairs (can look over and see them), but loved the idea of being upstairs so it felt a little bit private!Special Features:
- Last call!CLECHIVIPDined on 3/21/2014We had theater tix that had us pushing dinner reservations to the final half hour (10:30). Service remained top-notch while we did feel a bit of pressure from the kitchen to finish up. Small plates came out in rapid succession, desserts outpacing main courses in some instances which was a bit frustrating. Not a deal-breaker, however - with every bite still as delicious as the one the one that came before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South loop gemluvtheshrimpcocktail5Dined on 3/15/2014Fantastic food and service. We had a group of 7 they sat us in a private room. Enjoyed the entire evening and we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted Tapas....SAJAVIPDined on 3/15/2014In Chicago for a weekend and were interested in eating Tapas near our hotel. Found Kurah on OpenTable and weren't disappointed. We had the Stuffed Grape Leaves, Pomegranate Tabouli, Rosemary Infused Baba Gannoush and the Grilled Shrimp --all were delicious, flavorful and more than enough for two people. We also had a specialty drink recommended by our server--vodka, lemon juice and ginger beer--that was refreshing. Overall a very pleasant experience. Our bartender/server Hector was very accomodating and attentive. For those who need gluten free dishes, they are clearly marked on the menu.Special Features:
- Menu not all that excitingMyHeavensDined on 3/14/2014Ambience is nice, particularly the upstairs but none of the menu items I tried were particularly good. Oysters have a strange brown soy-sauce thing on them, hummus has too much liquid on the top, they were out of the ceviche the night I was there (which was the only item I was particularly interested in trying), $12 martini was more like a $8 martini. I might go back just to do the bar, but then again maybe not because their drinks are not cheap.Special Features: