Kurah Mediterranean Tapas
1355 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Kurah Mediterranean Tapas
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kurahchicago.com/
- Phone: 3126248611x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dan Sarkiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Catering: Catering options available. Please contact General Manager.
A word from Kurah Mediterranean Tapas
Mediterranean tapas in the South Loop offers wonderful, traditional Mediterranean dishes as well as unique and exotic twists on staple Mediterranean dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kurah Mediterranean Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (16)romantic (13)special occasion (9)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great, tasty, relaxingOptimisticVIPDined on 9/20/2014Kurah is a great blend of accessible eating for the unadventurous and interesting eating for the consumers who are delighted by slightly different and delicious versions of meditterannean food. I just wish they had whole grain pita or crackers rather than endless white bread.Special Features:
- What a jewel!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014I recently had a fantastic dinner here and can't wait to come back. Everything we ordered had unique, delicious flavors - from the appetizers to dessert. This has definitely made my list of favorite spots in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will dine there again!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014I really enjoyed the food and ambiance at Kurah. Also had very good falafels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service!BigDaveDined on 9/1/2014Try the kabob plate! The bacon wrapped dates are great! Looking forward to our next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific TapasKit123Dined on 8/2/2014Four of us dined here recently while on vacation to Chicago. What a lovely little restaurant! Our server, Lindsay, was excellent and allowed us to sample a sparkling wine, since the one we wanted wasn't available. We shared the spicy potatoes with aoli (excellent), falafels (good), spinach, feta and caramelized pies (fabulous) and the deep fried dumplings (very good). For our entrees, two shared the lamb shank (excellent), biryani (very good) but the stand out was the Kifta (ground beef/lamb) platter. Reasonably priced and a very fun evening.Special Features:
- sodium chlorideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014If you want a salt fix this is the place. Has great potential but the food was way over seasoned.Special Features:
- Nice experienceJimmyDined on 7/14/2014First time experience very nice. Unique dishes without pretense. Everything fresh and nice size. Waitstaff very nice. Will look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid addition to the South LoopolivesDined on 7/11/2014This is my second visit to Kurah and I am not disappointed. I recommend the spicy potatoes and falafel as an appetizer, chicken kabob platter, salmon and grilled shrimp as entree choices. I doubt you will be disappointed. Service was attentive, but my only qualm was that we were a table of 5, and had gratuity automatically added on - although it clearly stated on the menu that gratuity was automatically added for parties of 6 or more. It would have also been nice if the server would have taken it upon himself to bring our a birthday dessert for our guest because he was well aware it was a birthday celebration. Maybe then the automatic gratuity would have been justified. Just saying....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If u r in a real hurry try Kurah!EatfastwhyenjoyDined on 7/5/2014The food was excellent but not enjoyable because it was all served so quickly. They never gave u any time to savor the tastes of each choice. We ordered two cold tapas appetizers and a beef and lamb skewer combination. The first two appetizers were served while the bottle of wine was being opened. We had not finished half of the first appetizer when the beef and lamb skewers were served. There were at least four or five open tables so the rushed service could not have been because of a desire to turn tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun mix of Arab and SpanishGregVIPDined on 7/5/2014Tapas with a Lebanese flourish. A nice dining experience. We are very happy to have this dining option in our neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in the south loop.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/21/2014I have been serveral times and have not had a bad experience. Service is attentive and the Food is fresh and flavorful. I highly recommend brining friends so you can try everything. Mussels are not to be missed, every small and share plate is great and the humus as well. Its very tasty and worth the small charge, dont skip it just beacuse its "just humus". Finally if you go and dont have the Bacon wrapped dates....you must be a vegitarian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too authentic mediterraneanOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/18/2014Went with a group of three- the service was fine- the portions were small especially the salads which really did not taste authentic mediterranean or lebanese e.g. The tabbouleh did not taste anything like the real one and was so tiny portion which was ok as it was not tasty- the meat dishes were acceptable
- BChicagoDined on 6/13/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Kurah. I was surprised to arrive at 7pm on Friday and when I was told that I did not have a reservation. Luckily, I had made the reservation on Open Table several days prior. I showed the confirmation email to the hostess. She was very apologetic and friendly, and found a table for us quickly.Special Features:
- Good Mediterranean Food n AmbianceEpiphanyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Nice restaurant In the South Loop...odd was good especially their version of pita... it was probably 100 .calories a chip... that's how good it was...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014We were pleasantly surprised with how delicious the food was here. The pita chips were addictive and the food was refreshingly delicious. I would recommend the spaghetti squash. The mussels were cooked well, but some of them were stinky.Special Features:
- The following 88 reviews are from the Kurah Mediterranean Tapas reviews archive.
- Girls' night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014This place was perfect for catching up with friends that have not been together in awhile. The food was delicious and the ambience was perfect. I would highly recommend for a date/double date night or a outing with a small group (3-5) friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceaps420Dined on 5/16/2014We were a group of 9. We were tucked in a quiet alcove. It was a little cramped. The server helped us choose an appropriate number of plates to share. She was quick to add more when my 19 yr old, hockey player son was still hungry. Definitely recommend the beef kabob.Special Features:
- everything was so good except riceCarlaVZVIPDined on 5/13/2014Tried hummus, kubbeh, chicken kabobs and salmon and all were very high quality and delicious but they put so much seasoning (I think it may be saffron?) that it tastes like perfume...if they offered plain rice it would be my favorite Mediterranean place.Special Features:
- kurahwendyDined on 5/10/2014We've been there at least four times and had a great meal each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- modern middle eastern foodbuttercupDined on 5/3/2014Great food, nice atmosphere, very cozy, I have been to msny middle eastern restaurants but Kurah add a modern twist to traditional middle eastern food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We arrived on time for our reservation but had to wait 20-30min for our table. Furthermore when filling out the reservation request on open table it asked for any special accomadations- to which I listed it was our wedding anniversary. Nothing was mentioned by kurah staff. Great food however, especially the lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Make ReservationsEFSloopVIPDined on 4/25/2014Kurah is a small spot, so reservations are a definite plus! Definitely recommend the hummus and bacon wrapped dates to try. The goat cheese in the bacon wrapped dates were a bit overpowered by the other flavors, but still good. My boyfriend really enjoyed the spinach and onion pie, though I found it to be too crusty for my liking. The lamb/beef shawarma was good, not great. The food came out at a faster pace than we expected for tapas, so it didn't feel as leisurely. Service was attentive in the beginning but wane towards the end. Overall, good place for the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas goodksnickelDined on 4/25/2014Loved the Bacon Wrapped dates; will go back just for those. Just had tapas and will go back to try more. Shared the Bacon Wrapped Dates, Cerviche, Falafals; and another dish... plus had the Rose flavored Flan with Pistachios.. good wine list - tried a portuguese white that went great with the tapas. Coffee was great and had a really nice sherry after.. Will go backSpecial Features:
- Another great mealHurrah4KurahDined on 4/25/2014We went for our anniversary. Our waiter recognized us and even remembered what kind of wine my wife likes. They always put a basket of warm pita bread accompanied by a tray of olives, olive oil and spices on the table. We ordered the vegetarian grape leaves, lamb shank and flan and split everything. This has become our favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Went to Kurah a week ago and just went back again. The small plates are superb and the charming ambience is perfect for dinner and conversation. They ran out of a couple of dishes fairly early in the evening, but the alternatives were not disappointing. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Excellent!JesseDined on 4/4/2014Loved the food, atmosphere, and service. I actually really loved being able to sit upstairs. I still felt like I was in the same room as the other guests downstairs (can look over and see them), but loved the idea of being upstairs so it felt a little bit private!Special Features:
- Last call!CLECHIVIPDined on 3/21/2014We had theater tix that had us pushing dinner reservations to the final half hour (10:30). Service remained top-notch while we did feel a bit of pressure from the kitchen to finish up. Small plates came out in rapid succession, desserts outpacing main courses in some instances which was a bit frustrating. Not a deal-breaker, however - with every bite still as delicious as the one the one that came before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South loop gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014Fantastic food and service. We had a group of 7 they sat us in a private room. Enjoyed the entire evening and we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted Tapas....SAJAVIPDined on 3/15/2014In Chicago for a weekend and were interested in eating Tapas near our hotel. Found Kurah on OpenTable and weren't disappointed. We had the Stuffed Grape Leaves, Pomegranate Tabouli, Rosemary Infused Baba Gannoush and the Grilled Shrimp --all were delicious, flavorful and more than enough for two people. We also had a specialty drink recommended by our server--vodka, lemon juice and ginger beer--that was refreshing. Overall a very pleasant experience. Our bartender/server Hector was very accomodating and attentive. For those who need gluten free dishes, they are clearly marked on the menu.Special Features:
- Menu not all that excitingMyHeavensDined on 3/14/2014Ambience is nice, particularly the upstairs but none of the menu items I tried were particularly good. Oysters have a strange brown soy-sauce thing on them, hummus has too much liquid on the top, they were out of the ceviche the night I was there (which was the only item I was particularly interested in trying), $12 martini was more like a $8 martini. I might go back just to do the bar, but then again maybe not because their drinks are not cheap.Special Features:
- good choice for lunch or dinnerlovetoeatDined on 3/9/2014Casual and relaxed atmosphere. Friendly staff. good service. Tasty food. I will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service. Great food.LovetheGyuVIPDined on 3/8/2014Best service in Chicago. Waitress made great recommendations, timed our tapas style selections and even volunteered to cancel out our final dishes in case our eyes were bigger than our bellies. Best Mediterranean food in the south loop and a welcomed addition to the neighborhood. Worth the visit and ample parking to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool atmosphereCaradoranDined on 3/7/2014My friend and I went for drinks and apps. The service was really good and the decor was cool. We only ordered the hummus and the falafel. Both were awesome! I also like how they automatically bring out olives, olive oil and spices along with warm pita bread when you first sit down. I'll definitely be back to try the entree tapas along with a few other hot/cold ones I wanted to try. Happy the south loop landed another good restaurant!Special Features:
- Delicious & Casually ElegantAlisonDined on 3/7/2014The menu took traditional tapas favorites and added a fresh or contemporary twist - like the taboleh pomegranate salad or warm stuffed grape leaves and sweet peppers. Excellent falafel. The staff were very nice and eager to please. The decor was very tasteful, warm, and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trouble with Tapas3lPieVIPDined on 3/2/2014We thought Kurah and the tapas experience would be great for a large business group from around the world. But, although the restaurant was virtually empty, we were served by one waiter, who was also the sommelier, bartender and maitre 'd. Poor chap, he could not keep up with it. Cardinal sin for business gatherings, drinks took forever and when they finally arrived, wine was not served. It even took a while to get the bottles opened. We tried to pre-order the main courses, so that they would flow smoothly following two rounds of tapas, but there was still a long lag, making for a slow meal. Portions were so small, I had to eat something back at the room to compensate. One good point -- folks who had the rose flan, loved it.Special Features:
- Great in South Loop!SuzzyVIPDined on 2/22/2014Wonderful lunch at Kurah. Great food and a nice sit down spot away from the hustle of the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food not good serverSnarfDined on 2/15/2014We were in Chicago for a romantic Valentine's weekend & had found Kurah online. We had reservations which was good as even though it was a snowy Saturday night, the place was packed. Foodwise we went for 3 of the tapas dishes - hummus & maldoum (both v good) & bacon wrapped dates (absolutely delicious). If you order nothing else here you have to have the bacon wrapped dates. Ambience was excellent. Seating is a bit tight. Downside was the server - took our order then had to come back because he'd forgotten over half of it, tried to give us the wrong drinks twice, tried to bill us for one of those drinks, forgot to order the next tables food and got their drinks order wrong. Think just an issue with our server - all others were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hassle freeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014A group of us went to Kurah's and we got great service. We sat and talked a long time. Fortunately, it wasn't a busy time for them. Food was very tastey and the waiter was very helpful for items we didn't recognize. Drinks were yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Spot!DanWDined on 2/12/2014Service was fast, friendly, efficient, professional. Food was terrific. A very easy, pleasant, comfortable and delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful...been there severaldiningqueenDined on 2/7/2014wonderful...been there several times and plan on going back many times more.Special Features: