Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay
3950 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, NV 89119Neighborhood:
Mandalay Bay Resort
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kumilasvegas.com/
- Phone: 7026938300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Akira Back
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay
Modern Japanese Cuisine with a Korean American Twist by Chef Akira BackContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay - Best Restaurants in Mandalay Bay Resort ›
Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (25)hot spot (23)good for groups (20)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (7)notable wine list (7)neighborhood gem (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Terrific!KelleyDined on 8/19/2014We found out at the end of the dinner that our server, Britney, was new. She was terrific, attentive, great suggestions, and everything was delicious. We had someone who is not keen on sushi/sashimi and she enjoyed it as well. Their cold sake menu had a nice variety of flavors/pricings and we had several people who had not tried cold sake before become converts. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014One of the best meals I've ever had. It's the perfect sushi experience with a Korean influence. I would recommend to anyone who wants to have an incredible meal/experience...Special Features:
- ExcellentExcellenSushiDined on 8/14/2014The food and environment were EXCELLENT! The service was outstanding! I plan on going back, and I recommend the Hot N Messy Roll! OUTSTANDING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Night OutNightOutDined on 8/10/2014Often we go to nice restaurants we already are well aware of, but Las Vegas isn't your standard local home town with the usual home town scene. It's a joy to find places such as this that simply take care of you. Makes the Dining "Out" experience a joy.Special Features:
- Pricey!WalkedawayhungryDined on 8/4/2014The food is good, ambience was nice but over $200 later we walked away hungry (there was two of us.)
- One of the BestBDub1Dined on 8/2/2014We have been eating throughout Vegas over 20 years or so, and this, hard to believe, was our first time at KUMI. All I can say is "What the hell took us do long?!" The service seas outstanding, the ambience and decode beautiful and the food was some of the best Japanese we have ever had. It is in the "food" court-ish of the Mandalay, but don't let that dissuade you. It is adjacent to Strip Steak and is set a bit back. The music was great and you didn't feel you were in the middle of a casino. All I can say is try it, you will not regret it!Special Features:
- Great food and service!!susie549Dined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent and service just as good from start to finish..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot mess!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/28/2014Fab dinner from start to finish. Loved the hot mess roll the most.Special Features:
- Excellent Asian FushionBerkeleyBobDined on 7/13/2014Enjoyed a nice meal here with clients though be be warned: the restaurant is EXTREMELY loud and noisy and we had to strain to carry on an audible conversation. Also, check your bill as I was presented with a $600 bill when in fact charges we incurred were slightly more than $200 before tip! On average, 20% of all restaurant bills are WRONG! Overall, though, a good choice if you csn handle the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions, high pricesWndrbabeVIPDined on 7/13/2014Kumi was just "ok". The sushi rolls looked similar to those that come out of a black plastic covered tray at the grocery store and did not taste much different. The appetizers were slightly better but the portion size on all dishes, sushi included, is miniature in scale. The spicy tuna on crispy rice was literally the size of a Starburst candy. I had higher expectations given the price point.Special Features:
- Prepped AheadIanWVIPDined on 7/12/2014I ate at the sushi bar as I enjoy watching the chefs prepare the food. Sadly I noted that many of the sushimi plates and others were prepped ahead of time and wrapped in plastic. That would account for my food not being as fresh as I would expect.Special Features:
- nibbler62nibbler62Dined on 7/10/2014Great find. Food was outstanding with beautiful presentations. Waiter knew his stuff and recommended a wonderful sake to accompany our meal. His service was great. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good good but loudTommyDined on 7/6/2014There is a live DJ. If you like that kind of thing you'll love this. If you don't you'll find it hard to converse. Food and service are great.Special Features:
- yummyDined on 7/5/2014My only complaint was I was charged an extra $350 on my credit card. I am still waiting for credit to appear. The food was great, so were the drinks, although a little pricey. Service was good, everyone was very nice. RCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic eveningfoodheavenDined on 6/28/2014Our server Chris was absolutely charming and very intuitive. Using his perceptiveness he guided us through the menu and wine list with impeccable taste and knowledge. The ambience was very nice, with a mixed clientele. We were not rushed at all and they were more than happy for us to sit and relax even after we'd paid the bill which was very reasonable.Special Features:
- reliably excellent foodjagirlDined on 6/21/2014Pre-show quick order process and they will speed up for you. Tell them it is a pre-show. Excellent cooked food on the menu. Salmon best I have had in years. Really great. Good cocktails.Special Features:
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/4/2014We went to Kumi as part of our Vegas vacation, and we weren't disappointed. From start to finish, the whole dining experience was great. The Hot Mess, Crispy Pork Belly, and Kumikaze Rolls were all fantastic. No complaints about the service, although it was maybe a tad too attentive: we had an early dinner, and the restaurant was not even half full. All the servers seemed to be moving in a constant lap around the dining room, and we had one waiter (not even our own) asking us several times if we needed anything. My only other quibble was that the restaurant was pretty dark, and I had to strain my eyes to read the menu. Overall, well worth the money spent; we'll go back some day.Special Features:
- Great Find!IanWVIPDined on 5/30/2014I noticed several mentions of Kumi on Twitter by sushi junkies. Decided that if they recommended it I wanted to try it too. They were right. The food was outstanding. Great specialty plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodDeirdraDined on 5/29/2014This restaurant has a good drink menu. The sushi was totally great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Wino949Dined on 5/28/2014We had a great dinner at Kumi last weekend. The sushi was incredible, and we are new to experimenting with sushi. Service and ambience were also impeccable.Special Features:
- BEST Sushi!!!SushiLoverDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I stay at Mandalay Bay every time we go to Vegas and eating at Kumi is always a must. BESAT SUSHI EVER! There is one with watermelon flavored pop rocks in it, sounds strange I know, but it is delicious! Great atmosphere and service, too. FIVE STARSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's VegasSolODined on 5/15/2014The food was good but pricey. I realize it's Vegas and restaurants cost more, but you can find as good if not better sushi/Japanese fund in most neighborhood sushi restaurants in LA albeit at 1/2 or 2/3 of the cost. We shared the rock shrimp and two rolls and it none of the dishes were anything special.Special Features:
- Good if not in rushGFdinerDined on 5/13/2014It was my first time at Kumi. The food was good, especially the pop'in rocks and crispy shrimp. The service however was very slow even with them not being very busy and they got our wines wrong 2 times.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!AdyMeyerDined on 5/8/2014Service was great, waitress was helpful and so friendly. Food was TO DIE FOR!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightMissyDined on 5/4/2014The service was great. The food tasted good but I didn't know that entrees were a la cart.Special Features:
- Small food portionsBarbDined on 5/2/2014Very small food portions. Spent 700 dlls. And ended up going somewhere else to eat.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay reviews archive.
- Kumi on a convention nightrrcruiseDined on 4/22/2014My wife and I had dinner at Kumi the night before she spoke at a convention. The restaurant was full of business people having business dinners, so I'm sure that impacted the ambiance. It was kind of noisy and crowded. In fact getting out was a challenge weaving through tables. Again, I'm sure they had more groups than usual that night. The food was overall very good. We had something called a Spider Roll that my wife liked but I didn't. Otherwise it was good, nicely presented sushi. There was a wind blowing through that really bothered my wife. The waiter said that always happened when the hotel hosted a convention because a certain set of doors was open only during conventions. The service was extremely fast, maybe too fast.
- Best Meal of Our Lives!Eliza0207Dined on 4/11/2014Hands down THE BEST meal of our lives. Excellent service and top notch quality made this experience 5 star! They provided a chefs tasting menu that showed off the best of the best at Kumi. The fish was amazingly fresh and delicious. Your glasses never got empty. The wait staff made you feel like you were their only priority. Best of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced but BeautifulLVKatDined on 4/10/2014The pro's of Kumi - the space is lovely, and the menu sounds interesting (rock shrimp is divine). But oh my gosh, if you come here for sushi, be forewarned; it is insanely expensive for insanely average fish. We had hamachi and sake sashimi - $6 per piece - and there were VERY small pieces of painfully average fish. I do better at hole in the walls for $2 a piece. The Seoul Garden roll, all vegetarian, was AWFUL. And our service was friendly but slow. All in all, not a horrible experience, but not worth half of what we paid.Special Features:
- Awesome!skimontanaDined on 4/9/2014We tried Kumi after a recommendation from a friend, and it was really awesome. The food is spectacular and the service was very friendly and helpful. I am not an expert on sushi, and our waiter was more than happy to help us pick the perfect menu. He explained the different choices and asked our preferences, ie spicy, etc. It was superb and every dish he brought was better than the previous and they were all fabulous! There are so many great places to dine in Vegas, but when I visit again I will definitely go back to Kumi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodLaurenDined on 3/29/2014The food was awesome and our server Travis was great :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Invite your friendsstagingstarVIPDined on 3/27/2014Our Asian foodie friend loved this place. Much better for dinner than it was for lunch. Portions are on the small side. You may have to order more dishes than anticipated but it's a great way to enjoy lots of variety at a restaurant with a very good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected better for a $$$$$ placeKenshinDined on 3/24/2014We ordered appetizers, which came quickly. It took a while till we finally were able to order our main courses since we couldn't find our 1st server, so another one came - by the end of dinner, we had 2-3 servers, so it was very confusing. The main courses came on different times for each of us - mine, I finally had to ask where it was, as the rest of the people in my party was halfway through their dinner and I was still there waiting for it; and on top of that one of us ordered a saba sashimi, and they sent out salmon - since we are foodies from NYC, we knew the mistake. All in all, the food was ok - definitely had better for the prices. The service was disappointing for such an expensive restaurant. I would not go back to this place.Special Features:
- Must visitKarloDined on 3/22/2014Kumi is definitely a must! Very friendly staff, great food, great atmosphere. I would and will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014Sometimes when you order a "special" drink from a restaurant you worry it was a bad choice by the bartender….However Kumi's drinks were AMAZING!! Delicious! And the food was to die for. I would definitely return in the future! Great ambiance too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/21/2014Food was awesome. Service for the most part okay. The bus staff removed my drink before I was able to finish. But got a pleasant 'bump' to compensate, but it did take a while for the waiter to ask if I would like another cocktail. Asked for a booth on arriving. The said there was not one available. Two booths were just being seated when we left. It appeared that the couple behind us, no reservation, received a booth. We may go again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess made us stand at doorJem89129VIPDined on 3/21/2014Hostess made us stand at door for 15 mins while tables were wide open for a 6pm reservation ....manager and other employees walked by us without ever asking...finally we asked what was going on?....the prices are exorbitant for what you get.....our local sushi restaurant food is better at 1/3 of the cost.....only 4 very mediocre desserts on menu... Service was attentive and friendly
- Nice new spot in Mandalay BayJmacDined on 3/17/2014Had dinner there with co-workers after working a tradeshow at Mandalay Bay. Food quality and presentation were very good, portions were small considering the prices. Service was very good, attentive, informed but not overbearing. Ambiance was nice if not a bit stark, noise level was ok, we were able to carry on conversations without too much trouble but it was early so the place wasn't full. If it were, I suspect it would be a different story. Overall, a nice meal but typical Vegas pricing., ie. high for what you get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantKoltVIPDined on 3/13/2014This was a new restaurant to us - we love Japanese food so we were eager to try it. The food is delicious - probably the best vegetable tempura we've had anywhere. The service is very nice - only problem is that at times there are gaps in time, especially at the end of the meal, when servers could come by more often. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Everything was delicious !MissPiggyDined on 3/12/2014Everything was delicious ! Great location and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.