Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay
3950 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, NV 89119Neighborhood:
Mandalay Bay Resort
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kumilasvegas.com/
- Phone: 7026938300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Akira Back
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay
Modern Japanese Cuisine with a Korean American Twist by Chef Akira BackContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay - Best Restaurants in Mandalay Bay Resort ›
Kumi Japanese Restaurant + Bar- Mandalay Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (24)good for groups (23)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (13)romantic (12)late-night find (9)notable wine list (8)neighborhood gem (4)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very disappointing!TBBestDishesVIPDined on 12/21/2013Kumi promised high- end American Korean fusion. Having lived in both countries, I can say it delivered neither. $33 salmon was average, no Asian flair, small 4-6 ounces at best with literally 5-6 leaves of spinach. Colorado rack of lamb was Unseasoned! As in no salt/pepper before grilling. The sauce, while decent, was southwestern chili...no Asian flavors at all. Bill for 2 entrees, ONE glass of wine and cup of tea? $100!!!! With so many better choices for that pricepoint....skip this albatross. Oh and service was abysmal. If you're going there before MJ The One give yourself an hour and a half if you want to make it.
- Good food, attentive staff,WillKDined on 12/16/2013Good food, attentive staff, reasonable pricing. Restaurant is in the back of the casino with no particular view. The "Hot Mess" was tasty. The eggplant was also good.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!NattyPeaVIPDined on 12/11/2013My husband and I went there for our anniversary and we could not believe how amazing everything was! Our waiter was very knowledgeable and provided great service. The food was incredible! We ordered the Yellowtail, Rock Shrimp Tempura and the Toban Filet. Everything was mouth watering! The Toban Filet was by far our favorite thing we have ever eaten! We will be going back for sure! I've been sending my hotel guests there for an outstanding experience!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceFLTravelerDined on 12/5/2013This was the first time at this restaurant. The service was outstanding, and the food (sushi) was some of the best I have had. If you like sushi this is the place to go in Las Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLaurenDined on 12/1/2013Kumi was absolutely amazing. Great food, great atmosphere, I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, mediocre foodEatWritePlayDined on 11/30/2013I'll start by saying that we have spent this much or more on dining experiences at other establishments and have left satisfied-glorified even. But not at Kumi. The first disappointment was a beef appetizer of 6 1"x2" paper thin slices of what tasted like deli meat, albeit with a super delicious sauce. I believe it was 29 bucks and was less than an ounce of "meh" meat. Next was a miso cod appetizer with another delicious sauce. But the fish tasted like it was brought in earlier in the week. Far from fresh. If it was fresh, then it ought to be handled differently because it tasted like fresh fish never should. My husband claimed the sashimi was not the freshest tasting fish he's eaten. A positive note...the service here is impeccable.
- Small and expensive but worth it!ZobearDined on 11/25/2013Made a last minute reservation here and was very pleasantly surprised! Had drinks and appetizers at Rx boiler room before coming here so we only ordered drinks and 4 small plates to share. I have to admit that it is pricey, given the size of each dish. If we hadn't already eaten half our meal at the boiler room, I think we would have had to either spend an extra hundred dollars here on food or leave still hungry. Dishes were very unique though-I wouldn't normally think of eating sushi here but I loved what we got-whitefish carpaccio, crispy rice, octopus roll, and one roll that had pop rock candy in it! Sounds gimmicky (that's what made us order it) but it was surprisingly good! Even with the high prices, I would definitely come again!Special Features:
- Pop Rockin'hslover728VIPDined on 11/19/2013I came here for dinner on the evening I was in Vegas alone. I ordered the Rock Shrimp Tempura and the Pop Rockin roll. Yep, I ate all of it! I also ordered some drink with blueberry Stoli and blueberry red bull. It was refreshing but after 1, I switched to Stoli blueberry with club soda. Food was delicious, server wasn't breathing down my neck to remove my plate as I set my chopsticks down between each bite. Some places are so excited to take it away from you. The roll was good but the rock shrimp tempura was delicious! I definitely recommend you get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant was not handicapluv2eatDined on 11/13/2013restaurant was not handicap friendly, way too noisy. sushi was good, other food so so. very unorganized staff. would not return or recommend
- Over pricedfoodsnobjimDined on 11/11/2013Service was extremely slow. We had to ask for refills on drinks and still had to wait. Sat down at 5; 15 to eat so they were not that busy. Waited 20 minutes for check which would not be badif you had a drink at the table.
- Short Review of KumiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2013We dined at the restaurant for the first time and while the food was prepared nicely, we'd likely would never go back because the noise level was just unbearable. Both high volume music and background noise were blarring so loudly that dinner conversation was all but impossible. In addition, we were seated at a large table at the back of the restaurant and it was so dark that none of us could read the menu without using the flashlight feature on our IPhones. The menu was just "OK". We found it to be difficult and confusing to order for our large group (9-persons). I would wholeheartedly recommend adding some glass doors or similar structures for those that prefer a more moderate noise level.Special Features:
- Extraordinary food-incredibly noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2013Food was amazing, We waited a long time but was worth it. Service was terrific. Just INCREDIBLY noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive, good but not excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2013In general the restaurant was nice, the staff was friendly and the food was good, but not excellent. The portions were small, which meant ordering a lot to not leave hungry. The overall taste of the food didn't measure up to the final pricey bill. Overall, I won't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- FABULOUSNonnie55Dined on 10/28/2013We were in Las Vegas for a conference and enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Kumi. The service was exceptional and every dish we tried left the table completely with not a morsel remaining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in Mandalay BayOpenTableFanDined on 10/28/2013Sushi with a Korean influence. I recommend sharing dishes so you can try more. The rib cap Was the special and it was incredible! Top all this off with really good service and you have Kumi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place "rocks"!perkydanDined on 10/26/2013Everything was outstanding. Highlights were the Black Cod warm plate and the Pop Rockin' roll. The roll actually contains watermelon pop rocks candy. Sounds strange, but it perfectly complements the fish and makes for quite an interesting experience of flavor explosions. I will most certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodWendyDined on 10/22/2013The service was outstanding, with as much attention paid to our table as if we were the only table in the restaurant, without being overly attentive. The food was good - we had the Hussy Roll, Spider Roll, and Spicy Tuna roll. It's fairly pricy...be prepared to spend about $30-40 a person. The noise level was ridiculously loud (music). NOT a good place for kids or conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Environment and MusicKC88Dined on 10/20/2013Overall, food and services are good but very expensive. The music were way too loud and not relaxing for dinner time. We have to eat quickly and leave to another restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Good! Super Expensive!PMashDined on 10/12/2013Best sashimi we have had in Las Vegas so far. We are local, so we have been to many places. Super pricy though...3 persons with 3 rolls, 3 x 6 piece order of sashimi, 2 (6 total) glasses of wine each... $500 dinner!!! Most strip restaurant are a rip, but at least at Kumi you get great food, service and ambiance. In Los Angeles this would have been about $300 for comparable....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food before the showRomanticCoupleDined on 10/12/2013We wanted a place with good Asian food before seeing the Michael Jackson One show. Kumi's is right nearby and fit the bill perfectly. It has a romantic atmosphere for couples. We didn't like that it wasn't closed off from the crowded walkway at Mandalay Bay, but that was a minor inconvenience. The tapas dishes were excellent, as was the sushi and sashimi. Very innovative dishes. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpendykoalaVIPDined on 10/4/2013Went here since it was new and by the same chef that owns the best rated sushi restaurant on the strip. Prices were a bit outrageous, but the food and drinks were very creative and tasty. I ordered the pork belly roll, which was great with a little crispiness from the pork inside and a sweet type of slaw on top. The miso black cod was also fantastic! Plenty of creative and tasty cocktails too. It felt very busy as servers raced around in a bit of chaos, but we all food and drink in a very timely fashion. Some of our special requests regarding allergies were lost in translation, perhaps due to multiple servers, but they did correct those mistakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey...but worth itCorexDined on 10/3/2013Crispy Rice and Pop Rockin' were truly exceptional!!! Relaxed ambiance around the corner from casino, makes for nice dining ambience Knowledgeable waitress At par with NOBUI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi at Mandalay baymagnolia10Dined on 10/2/2013A great sushi place at the Mandalay bay! Some great tips from our waiter - we really enjoyed our meal!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The pork belly sushi was amazing.Eating42VIPDined on 9/30/2013The pork belly sushi was amazing. Sat at the sushi bar so had the pleasure of watching them make the food. Chefs talk to you and take your order. Service from the waitress was ok. Cool atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rip OffRuthieDined on 9/29/2013Restaurant (Kumi) was overly expensive and the portions were very small. Black Cod dish was overpriced and skimpy to say the least. Although everything tasted good, I would not recommend this restaurant. It cost over $200.00 for two people and we walked out hungry.
- The food was amazing. SometimesIndySoDined on 9/28/2013The food was amazing. Sometimes it was difficult to locate the waiter.Special Features:
- Still working things outBigAl1138VIPDined on 9/24/2013We had a large group and things started out well with an attentive wait staff. At some point things took a turn for the worse and our drink orders got mixed up, delayed to the point we couldn't wait to leave. They severely lacked an owner of the table, sent managers over and yet no one ever acknowledged that they had a problem.
- Fab Sushi Bar in Mandalay BayLuxuryQuestDined on 9/21/2013We ate here on Saturday night before the Odd Ball Comedy Festival. It is located right near the Mandalay Bay event center so perfect for dinner before an event. The meal was wonderful. The fish was super fresh and the rice on the rolls was the best I've had since returning from Japan. The service was top-notch and the manager checked in with us several times. She wanted us to try a particular desert and we opted for a different one, but she brought us both and comped the one she recommended. Highly recommend the Pop Rocks Roll and highly recommend Kumi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!DinerDined on 9/17/2013Best meal we have had in a long time! My favorite roll was the "Hot Mess". YUM!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and delicious!TravelingGal234Dined on 9/12/2013Not your usual sushi place - the food was vibrant and creative. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Nice PlaceRichardVIPDined on 9/7/2013While visiting Vegas we came across Kumi it was great food nice bar and music on Friday night. Came back twice during our visit staff was always nice and food is very freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love sushiDanielDined on 9/7/2013Many interesting selections. The 4 of us tried ten different selections on the menu. All fresh all good all interesting. I live in NYC so I am not easy to please. This is place I would return to. My only irritation was the selection of music and the noise level. But....it's las vegas so I guess it goest with the territory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMStewartDined on 8/30/2013We had the amazing egg plant appetizer and sushi. Both very good and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much to talk about andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2013Not much to talk about and terribly overrated. Food way marginal at best. We had several octopus based plates that were all VERY rubbery. Pretty much everything was over-cooked. Nowhere that we would return to or recommend. I don't mind paying for quality and even just for atmosphere but the prices were outrageous, compared to the quality and the atmosphere was comparable to a mall sidewalk restaurant. VERY disappointing. However, the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2013Food was very good and fast (ordered drinks before food and got food first...!), service was knowledgeable and polite, manager Christian provided friendly and accomodating service. A job well done by Light group and Chef Back.Special Features:
- Very Poor Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2013We had reservations and arrived on time. The hostess informed us that they were running at least 12 tables behind schedule and that we'd have a wait, but that they would inform us as soon as our table was ready. Technically, we are STILL waiting to be seated, because they never came to get us! She said to wait at the bar, so we waited there and informed the hostess where we could be found. Eventually, we got chairs at the bar and ordered appetizers/sushi through the bartender because we were starving. We also received poor, inefficient service there, including having to ask repeatedly where our food was, but were served excuses instead of our order (obviously they did not put everything in).The hostess never came. We were never seated. Rude
- Expectations were High basedcefoodVIPDined on 8/15/2013Expectations were High based on past experiences at Yellow Tail - Kumi did not disappoint! It also is NOT Yellow Tail which is great. The menu is original with new sauces and item. Great Service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushiTp777Dined on 8/15/2013Hands down best Sushi in Vegas. I love Nobu and Shebuya but Kumi is my new go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2013Sushi was mediocre. Lamb Chops were very tough--needed a very sharp steak knife.
- Service seemed rushed andddpage17VIPDined on 8/12/2013Service seemed rushed and ingenuine, class and ambiance weren't good enough to justify high prices