Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse
3295 Dunes Road
Marina, CA 93933Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kula-ranch.com/
- Phone: 8318839479
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Darrell Rose
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We Offer On-Site and Off-Site Catering - Build your own Menu - No Room Charge - No Setup or Breakdown Charge - Accomodate up to 130 Guests - Ocean Views - Excellent Service
- Private Party Facilities: On-Site Catering: - Build your own Menu - No Room Charge - No Setup or Breakdown Charge - Accomodate up to 130 Guests - Ocean Views - Excellent Service
- Private Party Contact: Darroll Newton 8318839479
A word from Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse
Restaurant Description: Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse (in the former AJ Spurs Location) is located at the Sanctuary Beach Resort, next to the Marina State Beach, just off Highway One at Reservation Road. As you drive up the brick-paved entry of the Resort, and circle around to the palmtree lined entry to Kula Ranch, you will begin to feel the Hawaiian Paniolo feeling of the Islands. The beautifully remodeled Kula Ranch, brainchild of popular local restaurateur Joe Loeffler (former General Manager of Baja Cantina)features a soothing Island feel, mixed with a little up-Country Western Maui! Executive Chef Darroll Rose (formerly of Fresh Cream Restaurant) has developed an enticing menu of Pacific Rim inspired fresh seafood, steaks, prime rib, exciting Sushi Bar creations, exotic salads and fabulous appetizers and desserts. We look forward to seeing you soon….and often!! Mahalo!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Marina ›
Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Steak and a ViewFormerChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 9/25/2014I have been wanting to try Kula's for a long time - so glad I took the opportunity on my birthday. A great view of the Bay from our outside table and the sushi appetizer was great - the hawaiian miso was delicious (almost beefy) and the wedge salad, huge! We loved our steaks - the flavor of my skirt steak was layers of citrus, garlic and sesame - and the coconut rice was like dessert! We will be back soon and again!Special Features:
- Good but....Haardrock1141VIPDined on 9/24/2014My comment is that the restaurant and the experience were good but not great. Service was very good and the Bisque was very well done. The end cut of Prime Rib that I ordered was dry and lacked taste (needed more spices like salt and pepper.) The restaurant is convenient if you are on the north side of Monterey as it relatively easy to get to via the freeway. If it were 350 feet further west, the views of the Pacific Ocean would be spectacular.
- Great ServiceEscobloomsDined on 9/11/2014The waiter was very good. He made sure that we were satisfied and enjoying our meal. It's very cute inside. There is no view for being so close to the ocean. The bar may have a view, however, we were there for dinner, so not sure. The ambiance is fun, loved the private booths. I do recommend that you give it a try. Excellent steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dry fish, dark boothFishFoodVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a reservation for seven people and had asked for a quiet table with a view. We got a booth (set for six) in a dark corner. We all got fish dishes and everyone said their fish was dry. I had the macadamia crusted mahi mahi and it was super dry. We all passed on dessert because the dinner was so poor. Definitely won't go back.
- A taste of Hawaii near MontereyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014What a fabulous meal we had at Kula Grill. For appetizers we tried the potstickers and the pupu (appetizer) platter for two. The potstickers were great, as was everything on the pupu platter - teriyaki steak skewers, roasted artichoke, spring rolls and chicken wings. Each item in the platter came with its own sauce, which paired well with the food. For entrees we tried the ribeye and the skirt steak and both were great. The restaurant was accommodating in letting us substitute fries for the stuffed potato. We don't live in Marina, but can't wait to return to the Kula Grill. It is worth the trip!Special Features:
- very pleasantpalomineDined on 8/26/2014Sister and I met for lunch. Staff was kind and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great Place to Dine!shelmibelDined on 8/17/2014Great staff and wonderful service. The food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...JengleVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our server was great, chefs very accommodating, kids meals were good, adult meals were not so good....Special Features:
- familygettogetherDined on 7/13/2014This was a great place for our family get together. We had our wedding reception there several years ago and it has always been a special place for us.Special Features:
- No View KulaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Had the rib eye and it was perfectly prepared and flavorful. The veggie's that accompanied were fresh, but the carrots were not cooked at all. Too bad I love carrots, just not raw. The Hawaiian Sushi and Steakjouse theme is fun and the bar area was lively with the Worldcup leftover crowd from earlier. The big drawback and I mean big is that this is an ocean front restaurant set in the dunes and we were seated in the middle of the building with absolutely no view and no windows! This seems to be the "main" dining area. Apparently the ocean facing area is for groups. What?! I used open table for reservation, but I would recommend calling ahead to ask if that area was available.
- The following 215 reviews are from the Kula Ranch Island Steakhouse reviews archive.
- AwesomeMauiDined on 6/14/2014Thank you to everyone who made my and my husbands dinner there an awesome evening. We were there 6/14/2014 @5:45pm for my husbands early birthday dinner surprise. We Thank you again! It was awesome! Sara n' Matt BriscoeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodHard2impressDined on 5/29/2014The early dinner menu has a great selection and great prices. The service was great. When I was served the prime rib they asked me to check to see if it was cooked to my liking. The prime rib was good, but was not as rare as I like it. I had to send back the first one. I ordered medium rare and it came out medium. I should have ordered rare. My wife ordered the kola pork and it was great. The cocktails were strong. The food came out fast. This restaurant has no views, too bad since it is located in a great area in the Marina Dunes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a friend from NY...MyTwoCentsWorthDined on 5/24/2014For dinner. I live in Marina and have enjoyed outdoor seating for appetizers and great strawberry mojitos earlier when weather inspired a walk about by the beach. We made a reservation via Open Table ( great app ) and arrived to be seated in a cool booth. He had the Skirt Steak with rice and steamed broccoli and I had special, Pork chops, with rice pilaf and steamed asparagus. He really enjoyed his meal, commenting skirt steak was tender. I myself found the pork chop done right and was tasty, asparagus was done to perfection and rice pilaf was also done right. Service was really great this evening as well. Ambience strives for more atmosphere and not there is no view of the bay. But I knew my friend would enjoy this place and he did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedJerryWVIPDined on 5/17/2014I was really hoping for an Island experience and a little Aloha; having been to Hawaii many times, but this was not even close. The atmosphere was kind of cheesy Hawaiian; the food was fair at best (I had the Macadamia Mahi Mahi), and the service I got was terrible (the guy practically ignored me and forgot about me) until a nice young lady noticed me sitting there waiting to pay, and took care of it for the waiter. Just not a good first impression; especially since it was the only restaurant on the property where I was staying (would make me think twice about staying there again)...
- poor dining experience!Eat2liveVIPDined on 5/11/2014Granted it was Mother's Day BUT restaurant is mismanaged & understaffed, food is mediocre, floors were littered; vegetables way overcooked; some staff tried to be accommodating but it's not pleasant to be served by someone who's rushing so much that sweat is streaming down their face! Dining here was the only negative part of a beautiful weekend at The Santuary. No matter how convenient, we will never eat here again.
- KULA RANCHHERMANDined on 4/26/2014NICE RESTAURANT, FRIENDLY STAFF, LOVE THE SINGER, FOOD TASTE GOOD!!! :)Special Features:
- nice findJoeMDined on 4/25/2014a co-worker told me about this hidden place and we went there for my birthday. very nice location near the ocean, good food: we had the fried artichokes, grilled swordfish and kalua pork with panna cotta for dessert. excellent and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Fabulous Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/15/2014We had dinner at Kula Ranch on our way to Monterey and we can't wait to go back. The food was really great. We tried the appetizer platter which had teriyaki chicken wings, beef skewers, spring rolls and roasted artichoke. For entrees we had the salmon and the ribeye steak. All the food was outstanding. Reasonable wine list. And the Hawaiian décor was just the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and serviceRicemanDined on 4/15/2014The food was delicious and the service was friendly. I already recommended Kula Ranch to 2 diffferent friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTraveler2dineDined on 4/6/2014I rather eat something else then for the chef try to compromise the food to meet your order. The steak was terrible and not for human consumption:-(
- Nothing notable....SadHawaiianVIPDined on 4/3/2014Sadly our expectations for our dining experience were not fulfilled. Hawaiian atmosphere but no Aloha. Forgettable food, distracted waitstaff, the only saving grace were the drinks. I guess if you had enough alcohol you would not remember the rest of the experience. It is sad because we had high expectations for the restaurant, but again nothing notable to recommend to anyone.
- Great food and service. TheSpagehtisFriendVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great food and service. The menu has got much better over the years. Nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service and foodTedWDined on 2/23/2014Waitress shorted us on change and did not apologize. Food was poor, and none of the 3 people in our party finished our meals and the waitress did not even ask how it was. Awesome atmosphere, nice vibe. If I owned the place firing the staff would be the first thing on the list. Then replace the chef.
- Bad, bad, bad...FoodmanDined on 2/22/2014I went there on a business dinner. We were sat at an extremely dark table, and I had to use my phones light to read the menu...This was not the prize of the night however. There was obnoxiously loud music playing at a wedding reception, in a connecting room to the restaurants eating area, closed off with a sheet! We literally could not have a conversation. We got to see the groom do the electric slide though, cool!! Very bad form for a business.
- Top Shelf FoodSparks4184Dined on 2/16/2014We went on a Sunday night to celebrate a couple of birthdays with friends. The food was GREAT ! No problems there. Fish and beef, were quite good. Sides were quite good too. The noise level was robust but tolerable. It's good to see a local spot that busy on a Sunday night and people were having a good time. The atmosphere was ok and might seem to offer better ambiance in the daylight. But in the evening, I think they could overhaul the lighting, add some additional paint colors and bring in more green plants and flowers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!!MaddyDined on 2/14/2014I was a first timer and was greatly pleased with my experience. I made a reservation for valentines day and they went all out. They gave all the woman in the restaurant a beautiful rose once seated, they had a young man come around and sing love-songs with a ukulele (I got a Bruno Mars song and it was fantastic!), and at the end of your meal you and your date received complementary chocolate roses perfect touch to the delicious meal! The steak was on point, best steak I've had in a while. Would defiantly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fooddschneid0Dined on 2/14/2014Food was great, good service, nice restaurant slightly pricy but worth it. My wife has food allergies and they made her meal just the way she likes it and the food quality was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meet up place forCoppertopVIPDined on 1/25/2014This restaurant is pretty good. For the area it is probably the best option. I think it is best to get here for the sunset because the deck has an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean. They have outdoor seating and if you have a dog they allow you to sit out there with your dog. Nice. The bar is great and the snacks on the bar menu I have found to be a better value than the entree menu. I really like the bar area the best here. The drinks are usually pretty strong, especially the rum drinks. Its island casual and can accommodate large parties.Special Features:
- Luke WarmGrinch1Dined on 1/18/2014Food quality was ok. Didn't care for the coconut flavored rice. Would like to have server give options to go with the entree. Food portions too small. One small slice of skirt steak just not enough. Menu should expand some for vegetarians. Very relaxed atmosphere. I didn't feel rushed. Drinks were good and the server was friendly and provided service with a smile. There is just enough good to bring me back again, but if my next experience isn't better I may not go back.Special Features:
- so tastybinaDined on 1/1/2014Great survive, food was wonderful. Drinks were great and they didn't skimp on anything.Special Features:
- LackingsmoothmanDined on 12/25/2013This was our choice for a Christmas holiday dinner. It definitely was a bad choice. At first, when we arrived for our reservation the host was outside hanging around with someone. She ran inside when she noticed us. The host just blurted out "Hi" just two? It felt like we were disturbing her free time. Then the server was worse. I really do not want to fully itemize all the service errors. This place is overpriced for what is being doled out.
- mmmmCD13Dined on 12/14/2013i like to sit in the booths away from the bar. setting feels romantic and comfortable. everyone loved their dishes- rib eye well seasoned, macadamia nut mahi-mahi is delicious, and sushi good as well. there's a little bit of everything for everyone- not just a steakhouse. service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, but no heatColddinerDined on 12/5/2013Food was good. Service was okay, but overall factor is that we were freezing. We never took off our coats, scarves, etc.Special Features:
- First off Kula Ranch has gonehilldwellerDined on 12/4/2013First off Kula Ranch has gone thru several changes in ownership.. We can tell the current owner is trying to work on the quality of the overall experience at the restaurant . The food is not quite there yet but our server, George, was excellent, attentive yet not overwhelming knowledgeable about the menu. The meal that we had was about the quality you would expect for a ‘group’ event.. steak.. over done tough,, potatoes warm.. you get the picture. Our guest had the salmon and said it was ‘ok’.. the Fillet and Lobster passable. There are many wonderful choices in the Monterey Peninsula for fine dining. Kula Ranch would be a moderate choice.Special Features:
- Steak way overcooked ChargedmsprDined on 11/24/2013Steak way overcooked Charged a different price for sushi than was on the menu Restaurant was too cold Ferns were too large and blocked tv
- Sushi Yum!MuzakgirlieVIPDined on 11/14/2013This was one of the main reasons we came here and it was so good we went back the next night!Special Features:
- Sunset DinnerJohnMDined on 10/23/2013Went here for an early dinner--had one of the Sunset Dinners. Started with a crab bisque--presentation was beautiful, but it didn't have enough crab flavor for me. Then had the sand dabs. The fish was a little dry, but the vegetables (carrots and zucchini) were perfectly cooked and full of flavor. And the coconut rice was divine! Service was very friendly, but it took a while for my soup to appear. Then the entree was brought out when I was only part way through the soup. There were only two other parties dining in the restaurant at the time, so didn't understand the timing issue. Overall, I really enjoyed the meal and thought it was a great value on the Sunset Dinner ( $12.95).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less Than Hoped ForMitchGDined on 10/19/2013From the information on Opentable.com and the restaraunt website, I expected something with an island atmosphere...decor, layout, perhaps with menu or drink selections keyed to specific islands. Alas, too much to hope for. The decore seemed to be a quick redesign from a previous theme. The was a "palm tree", and some tacky "bamboo" along the walls, but the atmosphere was decidedly not island-like. Service was satisfactory. I ordered a Bloody Mary, which turned out to be the absolute worst tasting drink I have ever been served. The food however, was prepared well and tasted good. The NY strip was juicy and prepared to the level of doneness I requested. Overall, I would probably not return.Special Features:
- Happy HourCreekcrewVIPDined on 10/18/2013Dined during Happy Hour, Sliders were amazing, really good sweet potato fries, beer selection was great. My Girlfriend really enjoyed the fish tacos especially the mango salsa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland steakUnsatisfiedcustomerDined on 10/5/20131 out of 4 steaks at our table was cooked as requested. Steak was bland and not seasoned at all.