Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill
2414 University Blvd
Houston, TX 77005Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kubos-sushi.com/
- Phone: 7135287878
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Eigo Yamaguchi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room
- Catering: Contact us to cater your next event – we will even provide your very own Sushi Chef!
A word from Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill
Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill is an authentic Japanese restaurant that has been dong business for more than 11 years in Houston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- barapplepieDined on 8/23/2014The food was decent, the waitress we had was polite but maybe she was new because we waited for a very long time for her to take our orders. It was a good experience but nothing really stood out. Very hard to find parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placejazzkkyulDined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the food and the service! They were very friendly and I would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/3/2014We (my wife and I) are among Kubo's most frequent customers. The fish, both cooked and raw, is unfailingly fresh and well-prepared. The service is attentive and the staff well-informed about the menu, including the seasonal specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just OKcamilleDined on 6/28/2014I was pretty underwhelmed. We were seated and received water from the server...and then waited 20 minutes for him to come take our order. And that only happened when my husband asked for the manager. I thought the food was just OK and the prices were too high for the quality we got. An $18 rainbow roll?? If you're in the area and craving overpriced sushi, then sure, why not. But I would not make a special trip.
- Excellent SushiDinerHLMVIPDined on 6/26/2014Creative specialty rolls w/ great flavor combinations. Great service! The restaurant was a bit quiet when we went, but we ate an early dinner after missing lunch. I would def eat here again. Parking is a bit hectic, so you pretty much have to park in the garage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Rice village sushilucykDined on 5/21/2014Service was super friendly and knowledgeable about recommending different dishes for the various tastes in our party. Quality of the food was good but not spectacular.Special Features:
- Excellent Sushi in the Village!relaxedPaxDined on 5/18/2014Great sushi, great service! Located upstairs in the Village Arcade, it's a great place to dine. There is limited outdoor seating, so reserve in advance if you want to ensure a spot. The lunch specials run 7 days a week, so skip brunch on Sunday and head over here instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and Chirashi bowlCampmaVIPDined on 5/11/2014The sushi is fresh and at a very good price if you get items off the happy hour menu. Two in our group had the Chirashi bowl and it was very good and a nice presentation. They said it was very good and nice serving of sashimi.Special Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Nice selectionsEatBigVIPDined on 4/7/2014We enjoyed a quick meal here. Some of the fish was not as fresh as preferred, but the menu had a nice selection and the service was fairly prompt.Special Features:
- Best Nigiri in HoustonMPACDined on 4/4/2014If you love nigiri sushi, you must try this place. I travel and dine in Tokyo, Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York. I have consistently been disappointed by the quality of nigiri sushi in Houston. Other reviewers rave about places like Uchi and Katsuya. Those places are fine for Kaiseki ( small plates ) but serve low quality nigiri despite their prices. The quality and variety of the nigiri sushi at Kubo was outstanding. From the chef made Tamago to the quality of the O Toro, every offering was outstanding. To my knowledge this is the only Japanese restaurant to offer real wasabi in Houston. We also loved the tofu appetizer. The flavor could only be the result of the chef's efforts and was clearly not purchased like other restaurants doSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great OptionLucianaVIPDined on 3/27/2014We are staying at the medical center. What a great alternative to the options at the hospitals! Friendly service at the sushi bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Gyoza of my liferumnDined on 3/7/2014I had read about Kubo on the internet from the Houston Sushi Club. I wasn't sure what to make of it as the reviews on Yelp were mixed. My experience: The first server was slow to get us our drinks. The server who took over after him was amazing. Very attentive, very accommodating. We ordered Gyoza to start and then a couple of rolls and the Spicy Tuna Hot Bowl. The Gyoza tasted SO fresh. Both my husband and I agreed it was the best gyoza we've ever had (and we've both been to Japan). The rolls were no frills, basic rolls. They also tasted fairly fresh. The Spicy Tuna Hot Bowl dish was very interesting. My husband described it perfectly when he said it tasted like the base used for Ramen Noodles without the soup and noodles.Special Features:
- Word of mouth recommndtn delivered!attagrrl87Dined on 3/7/2014I got the recommendation from a co-worker after I lamented about a sushi craving. He concluded it was one of the best and most authentic sushi in the city. I made reservations for 7 but when we arrived early at 6 we only had to wait 15 minutes to be seated. The ambience is very elegant, low lighting like a typical date night. There was a sushi bar in the back packed with patrons happily munching and watching the sushi chef make the creations. We ordered the hand rolls and spicy tuna and both were delicious. Not your typical sushi franchise like Ra. You could tell it was authentic based on the customers, how full the restaurant was and the delicate taste. Unlike at sushi chains, you could taste the fish over the spices. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully authentic and deliciousTDhattrick1022Dined on 3/5/2014Tip: Ask for the private room. It's small and can accommodate up to four people, perfect for an intimate meal. Also, take advantage of happy hour food and drink specials from 4-7. Houston isn't a great sushi city but a visit to Kubo's just might make up for that. They focus on traditional roles with some clever adaptations and they don't chase trends. It is refreshing to look through their menu and not have to worry about how your food is going to taste. Everything sounds delicious and when it is served you discover that the food is even more delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi at reasonable pricesCampmaVIPDined on 3/2/2014I love Kubos for lunch or dinner. Service and food are always good. Sushi is fresh and if you can hit their happy hour it is a great deal.Special Features:
- This is my second time toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014This is my second time to eat at this restaurant and it's as good as I remembered it. I love that they have Happy Hour until 7 pm! Not many places offer that and it works with my work schedule. My boyfriend and I shared the seabass and a few happy hour items that were really good. Our server was also really polite and did a good job at bringing out the food in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKanDaDined on 2/8/2014I made reservations for 7:00pm and I was late a few minutes due tot hat I couldn't find th place. The staff was nice, they took as right in. Food was great and service was excellent. I would highly recommend this place. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New and excitingKittygogrrDined on 1/31/2014It was my first time there and everything was perfect from the staff to the food. I went with my husband and daughter and another couple for a triple birthday celebration and our waitress gave us a lighter for the candles :) they interacted with us minimally to give us our privacy but took care of our needs swiftly at the same time. We never ran low on drinks or had a dirty table for long. LOVE ABD RECOMMEND!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional SushiEmmanuelVIPDined on 1/17/2014Not a bad spot for straight forward, traditional sushi. You won't find crazy modern fanciful sushi here, but they do traditional sushi very well. The slow cooked kakuni (pork belly) was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScallopSorrelDined on 12/28/2013Amazing large sliced sushi scallop, lobster roll was very large and just plain great! We will return for the spider rainbow roll, as it was very good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent,MichaelVIPDined on 9/21/2013Food and service were excellent, as always. The manager would not accept our Open Table dining check.Special Features:
- goodLocalgalDined on 9/20/2013Overall Kubo's is good. It was very busy at dinner rush but dies down by 9pm and is quiet. Service was not as attentive as it could hav been. Food was good.
- Happy Hour everyday - howluv2eatDined on 8/30/2013Happy Hour everyday - how can you go wrong? Food was served quickly, correctly and fresh. We dined early and took part in the daily specials - all were fabulous. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderful. The restaurantFoodaDined on 8/20/2013Food was wonderful. The restaurant week menu was superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodDavidDined on 7/5/2013Kubo's is one of the best sushi restaurants in Houston. It is normally our first choice when we are willing to make the drive in from the 'burbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2013This restaurant was recommended to me by my hotel. The server was very attentive. The wine list was above average. My sushi roll was very tasty with a nice set of flavors. My salmon/ shrimp entrée was outstanding. I would recommend to all. And the next trip to Houston will hopefully include a dinner at Kubo's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made reservation at 18:30OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013We made reservation at 18:30 and the restaurant told us they will cancel the reservation if we cannnot come by 18:40, even if we give them a call. It will be difficult to use for important opportunities.Special Features:
- Used to better. Felt likeMKEatsDined on 2/8/2013Used to better. Felt like it was under new ownership. Good happy hour but that's about it.
- BAD EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2012It took 17 minutes to have the waitress get water. However once we got it, the water server never missed a beat. The ordering process was painful, that took anohter 20 minutes plus. Another couple came in after us ordered, got thier food, and paid their bill before we received our full dinner. My son had never had Sushi so I wanted him to go there on his 18th birthday and learn on his own and ask quesitons. That was terrible. There was a total lack of dining experience. The waitress could have cared less, rushed the answers and basically ruined the dinner. The food came out in shifts. Terrible experience for my son on his birthday.
- Authentic SushiEndosamVIPDined on 11/4/2012If you like fresh, authentic sushi, this is the place to go. Just ask the many Japanese diners here every night. Fresh, unusual fish is flown in on Thursday night from Japan so if you want different dishes, go on the weekend before they sell out.Special Features: