508 West 42nd St.
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ktchnnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 868-2999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm (late night menu from 11pm to 1am)
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:30am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 10:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dale Schnell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Let us cater your next event. For more information, please contact our Director of Catering and Events, Tonya Sanchez, via phone or email (email@example.com).
- Special Events: Looking to host a special event? We have several options with spaces varying in size, both indoor and outdoor. For more information, please contact our Director of Catering and Events, Tonya Sanchez, via phone or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A word from KTCHN (KITCHEN)
Great crowds. Great food. Great service. Come for brunch, lunch, dinner and late-night dining at KTCHN, where our Executive Chef serves modern American cuisine, fixed in tradition and inspired by the seasons. Brought to you by the founders of the famed Eatery in Hell's Kitchen, we have the perfect setting for the perfect occasion. Get social with our large communal table and our spacious luxurious banquettes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
KTCHN (KITCHEN) reviews from OpenTable diners
231 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (97)fit for foodies (70)good for groups (64)great for brunch (59)hot spot (49)vibrant bar scene (45)great for lunch (38)special occasion (36)late-night find (31)romantic (26)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Used to love itUNplazagirlVIPDined on 11/18/2014This used to be our "go-to" place pre-theater at Signature but it changed its terrific menu. While the service is very friendly, the staff did not seem on top of things. Repeatedly had to ask for items or the wrong items were brought. Too bad--was such a great place.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Brunch was bland and basic. Would not be my future choice for brunch.
- Great find for 42nd St TheatersJervVIPDined on 11/14/2014We were so surprised by everything. It was just a perfect dinner and a pre theater price fix at $29.95 it is a great value gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KTCHN Worth The Trip WestGrammy521VIPDined on 11/13/2014KTCHN is cheerful, both in decor and service, and the menu has something tasty for everyone. In its location on 42nd Street it is an excellent spot if you are going to Signature Theater or to any of the Theater Row small theaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanNYCDined on 11/11/2014Great restaurant for pre-theater meal. Enjoyed small plate selections. Wedge salad surprisingly good. Ambiance lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, wine and puddings!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Credit to the helpful staff at this establishment. A joy to experience. A pre-theatre dinner and it was delicious, I would recommend this place to any of my friend travelling from the UK to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible servicevondrismVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our waiter was very friendly but services was very, very slow. There we're only four table filled in the restaurant when we went, and it took us over two hours to finish our dinner because food was served so slowly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!AsapDined on 11/8/2014After not being able to get a reservation at a few places I remembered seeing the sign for Ktchn earlier walking by so I took a shot in the dark and got a reservation...totally satisfied! The service was great, didn't wait very long to be seated at all. The food came out quickly. And not to mention I had the best steak with asparagus and smashed potatoes ever!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Food order took 45 minutes to arrive and it was wrong. Server was gracious but helpless against an obviously overwhelmed kitchen. Manager reduced the bill to compensate.
- Come here if you have 2.5 hours!SolutionsGroupVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food was delish. Waitstaff was ok though she seemed she needed help - drink order came in 20 minutes late (yes we counted - we arrived at 557pm and got our drinks at 619pm). The food delivery had a 30 minute delay in between our three courses! Soup and salad at 650pm. Salmon at 745pm and dessert at 833pm. This is unacceptable.
- Decent food in the areaWeezieVIPDined on 11/7/2014In an area of few restaurants, this one is pretty good. However, the wait-staff is very lackadaisical. When we finished dinner, no one asked if we wanted dessert; when we asked for a dessert menu no one came to see if we were interested in ordering!Special Features:
- a place for keepinga reservationjhenieDined on 11/7/2014we made it.. late but they accommodate us seated us right away. Sort of happy hour buy one get free drink its not that bad deal. Its not expensive restaurant just right on your pocket reasonable price good location good ambiance the food is good but service was sooo slow terrible service but we made it to our show just on time.. Neighborhood gem. If i am in New York city again i will try different restaurant.Special Features:
- Bait and SwitchWestLoopGuyVIPDined on 11/6/2014the menu posted online is more expansive and interesting than the actual menu. when I raised the difference the server stated that others had made the same comment.Special Features:
- Hurriedly AnnoyingannoyedDined on 11/1/2014WHY does KTCHN allow for reservation til 11:30, when their ktchn closes @11? We arrived for our 10:45 reservation right on time & were not allowed to sit in the formal dinning rm, but rather at the window seats in the bar w/the annoying line of people watching us eat as they waited for a club. As we were hurried by our hostess she told us the ktchn closed in 15 mins so we had to order very fast in the next few mins. Our waitress came by & said hi & also rushed us to tell us we needed to choose asap. WHY HAVE RESERVATIONS AVAILABLE THAT LATE IF YOU'RE GOING TO RUSH PEOPLE? We sat waiting & at 5 mins to 11 our waitress still never came back so we had to stop the manager to order before it hit 11. The waitress never did came back to our table.
- On point and friendly!AlanKVIPDined on 11/1/2014I was checked in by Jenna...who is amazing! Sweet, genuine, and professional. Thanks, Jenna. James Stress was on point, and I would recommend working with him. The Manager Jared Cross ALWAYS goes above and beyond, in fact, tonight they ran out of an ingredient I ordered in one of my appetizers, and instead of saying...we don't have it. Went out and got the ingredient needed, thanks Jared...wow, excellent customer service. Kudos.... AlanSpecial Features:
- more entrees please.FeedMeDined on 11/1/2014Service, attentive - but not overly. Menu needs work, not very expansive. Grilled lettuce salad surprisingly good. For my entree I opted for Fish & chips..too many soggy chips, but overall acceptable. Limited but ok wine list. Some tasty apps. I was with a fun table, so left with good memories. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/29/2014My husband and I arrived 30 minutes later than our original reservation time due to very bad traffic, the host did not give us a look at all and he quickly seated us. The waiter are very attentive , they know we were in a hurry since we had a show to catch , we only have 45 mins to dine, they took our order right away after we seated, the food came quick and they taste good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre mealFeasterVIPDined on 10/29/2014It was quick and good and did the trick. The tempura green beans were a particular favorite at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2014I viewed the menu on the hotel's website prior to selecting the restaurant. Upon arrival I discovered the menu had recently been changed and the website not yet updated. None of my possible selections were still offered. The decor intends to be contemporary, but it feels more institutional. A high school cafeteria gone wrong.
- Perfect Saturday NightNYCgoodguyDined on 10/25/2014I am so glad I found this restaurant since I go to the Pearl Theater often which is right across the street. I loved this place so much that I actually went TWICE Saturday (once before the show and again afterwards). My date had the chicken tajine which was outstanding and I had the meatloaf. We went back for dessert later and the apple crumble was awesome. The server was so thoughtful and really welcoming. Even the host checked in to make sure we were on time for our show. We will probably return next week!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieNYCCoupleVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great and friendly service, favorite neighborhood restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glorified Airplane FoodSatisfiedVIPDined on 10/24/2014We sat near the window, so weren't in the back dining room. Our server was friendly and helpful. We both had the meatloaf which felt more like a salisbury steak than a piece of meatloaf...plopped on top of some mashed potatoes with 5 or 6 string beans. It was a bit over-salted. The dessert...a brownie with ice cream took forever to come because they were heating it...it seemed like it was pre-prepared in it's own little bowl and popped in a microwave to cook. The only plus was that it was under $50 per person...cocktail, main course and dessert, which in hindsight was not such a bargain for what we ate.
- AmazingBrackettBDined on 10/22/2014KTCHN really went above and beyond for me. I was planning a friends surprise engagement there and all of the staff was beyond helpful and excited to help make this night special for them. They happily answered all of my crazy questions, and accommodated any bump in the road. They made it a magical night for their engagement. They were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theaterBeanieVIPDined on 10/22/2014Ate here due to proximity to New Group Theater, just down the block. Place was pretty, very sleek atmosphere. Not a huge menu, but covered all bases. Tempura green beans were delicious. Most people in my party had burgers. They were large, fresh and well appointed. Service was attentive and friendly. Excellent find in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so at bestchrismm1978VIPDined on 10/17/2014Arrived for 10p reservation to wait 15 minutes before any server acknowledgement even though there were only about 8 tables full. Once we did finally get service, it was friendly, but from the long wait I have to rate service as 'fair'. Food was not impressive, I can make better food in my own kitchen. The restaurant is modern and hip inside, too bad the food isn't as equally impressive.
- Excellent food!floridadiamondgirlVIPDined on 10/17/2014We dined here prior to Broadway show and couldn't have been happier with the quality and service. A quick walk to theaters. Loved the cocktails !Special Features:
- cag0716Dined on 10/16/2014limited menu but tasty. waiter was quite nice about letting me sample a wine before i committed to it.Special Features:
- vivaitalianycVIPDined on 10/13/2014The poor server, he tried the impossible mission. WHERE IS MANAGEMENT, NONSTOP BREAK??
- NotgoingbackVIPDined on 10/12/2014We must have hit them on an off day as the service was horrible and completely mistimed and the food was barely average.
- Cool and CasualGeoffLDined on 10/10/2014Ktchn is a great place to sit at the bar with a great cocktail and meet people, grab a table in the front to enjoy great casual dining and wattch the crowds wander by, or sit in the more elegant dining room. The staff are always super-friendly and welcoming, the food is fresh and interesting with a few American classics thrown in for good measure, and the cocktails are reliably excellent. The music matches the time of day and is never so loud you cant enjoy good conversation. We're local and this is the perfect place for us but we also highly recommend you make the trek to enjoy a great night at Ktchn.Special Features:
- runforfoodDined on 10/10/2014Lovely looking place, nice reception. But the rest of the service was lackluster and slow …. 13 minutes to get a cocktail? And when I mentioned to the server that we had an 8P curtain, he sort of shrugged it off. I told him I like to chew my food before I swallow it!!! The portions were also "small but cute". I run marathons; I need to eat!!!
- Fantastic! Great location!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014This was a hit in every way! Location to The Pearl Theatre makes it convenient for pre-theatre dinner. The staff was friendly and accommodating and a very comfortable atmosphere. The food was innovative and tasty -- with three very different palates, there was something for all of us. We were each thrilled with what we ordered. And we came back for dessert and coffee after the play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot off the beaten path!!RubyVIPDined on 10/10/2014We love this restaurant and this was my 3rd or 4th time here. As we were headed to the theater near the restaurant, we had an early dinner at 545pm. Both ordered the dinner consisting of a wonderful grilled romaine caesar salad, and for my main course I had the salmon with lentils which was exceptional and my sister loved the meatloaf. The dessert was wonderful too- hot caramel brownies in a bake dish with strawberries and ice-cream. Great wines by the glass and many beers on tap. You must go even if you are not going to the theater!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quietly deliciousAC33VIPDined on 10/10/2014Had a midweek business lunch here and despite the short lunch menu, it was a perfect place to do business and enjoy a well-served meal. Our waiter could not have been more solicitous, the food came promptly, and while there weren't a lot of choices, everyone did find something they liked. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- My favourite place in the hoodArtlyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great impoundment since my last visit for brunch! Service warm, friendly and discreet. We all had three different entrees, which arrived together, warm and tasty, the food fish and Turkey, well cooked, dides fitting perfectly. Happy to have this place nex doors,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good...if you receive it!MicBeth3Dined on 10/9/2014Went 10/9 for a late lunch with my BFF, 2:30 PM-ish. We wondered if this place could be a front?? Odd people in and out, very hush, hush and TERRIBLE service!! The worst I've ever experienced...the waiter was barely audible. Fortunately, our food was very good...but the wait and service was soo terrible. We'd never go back. The woman behind us agreed...everyone was kind of looking around.. Too bad...this restaurant has a lot of potential.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Love coming to KTCHN! The drag show on Sunday is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in NYCAlanKVIPDined on 10/5/2014As always....amazing! The food, customer service, and of course the show :). Thank you Miranda for being personable and if you have the chance to work with Diego Quintero....highly recommended! You all do so well!! Thanks again, AlanSpecial Features:
- New Menu--Very Bad Ideamanger123VIPDined on 10/4/2014I have eaten here quite often--my biggest complaint had been the service--staff were always too busy socializing with each other to pay attentio0n to customers. Between my last visit two weeks ago and my most recent, the menu has been completely overhauled. It is now basically the hotel room service menu--burgers, steak, salmon, tacos, pasta dish. In the past, the food choices were greater and more varied--and the food was much better--the chicken, the risotto, and the pork chop were especially good. We both had the fish 'n chips--both our servings were soggy--the fish breading and the fries. I'm moving KTCHN off my list of usual NY restaurants--despite how inexpensive it is to eat there.
- Price vs qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014I didn't think the food was worth the price. Had I not had the groupon I would have been disappointed to have paid the menu price that for an entree. For what they were chargng for an entree the quality of the meal should have been better.