Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge
Houston, TX 77022Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.krisbistro.com/
- Phone: 7133585079
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: TUES - THURS 5:30-9; FRI & SAT 5:30-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Kristopher Jakob
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant can hold 70
Banquet Room holds 40
Private Lounge - Wine Bar and Table for 12
- Private Party Contact: Jerry Arguelles 713-358-5068
- Entertainment: Dining Room is surrounded by 150 Feet of glass looking into three operating kitchens to provide visual interest for Foodies and Dining Room movement.
A word from Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge
Located 7 minutes North of Downtown this North Village Modern French Bistro supports and showcases local growers, local artists, French wines and aspiring chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (61)special occasion (49)romantic (36)notable wine list (35)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food & service staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014This was our 3rd time here, and we continue to be impressed with the quality of food, wine, and service. It's fun to watch the student chefs learning and practicing food prep techniques in 1/2 of the kitchen, while the experienced chefs are in the other 1/2 of the kitchen preparing customers' food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as alwaysObnoxDined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent as always. Raymond, our waiter was unobtrusive but had wine and other beverages filled and refilled at precisely the right moments. CJ, the manager handled a packed restaurant with aplomb. And Beverly, bless her heart, made an especially beautiful dessert plate for our eight year old grandson's birthday. Thanks to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ValueFoodieJackDined on 9/12/2014The meal was OK. I can't say exactly what it was lacking, but I wasn't blown away, either. The caveat would be the nice custom dessert plate they brought to our table for my padtner's birthday (don't worry, the don't sing and clap).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014The food and service was amazing. It was our first time there and we went on a Wednesday. Not many people The entrance was through the c Culinary institute. The restaurant was veri nice, well decorated and had good ambiance. The waiter was very knowledgable and gave great recommendations. We both had three courses and all was amazing. I can highly recommend this for people that appreciate good food vs the most in style restaurant.Special Features:
- Diamond in a rough neigborhoodrowkevinVIPDined on 9/9/2014Although this is a culinary institute restaurant, we were a bit concerned when we drove into a fenced in parking lot with a security guard during our first visit to Kris Bistro. However, our initial trepedation quickly abated after we entered the dining area and found an intriguing menu and wine list. There were large windows to watch the sous chefs prepare the evening meal. The noise level was conducive to having a nice conversation without having to raise our voices. Service was excellent with recommendations and explanations about the food provided to those who inquired. And yes, the food was terrific!Special Features:
- AnniversaryOuchDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our 51st. wedding anniversary there and it was our first visit.... I couldn't be more pleased with the evening.... the dessert they made for us was a work of art. These are really nice people....Special Features:
- Great experience!CDoanDined on 9/5/2014We were a large party celebrating a recent engagement and my husband's birthday. The food was delicious and the service was amazing. Our waiter was very attentive! We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cocoDined on 9/4/2014Kris Bistro was recommended by a friend. The food...the staff... EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- Excellent service, delicious foodeagletDined on 8/30/2014Service was excellent. Wait staff knowledgeable. The wine list has wines to fit every budget and the wait staff know which wine will complement your dinning experience. The menu is seasonal, therefore the food is very fresh, prepared with love. This was our anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed, neither in the food nor the service. Kris Bistro always strives to make their patrons feel very special and they succeed.Special Features:
- Thanks, comming back!PiterDined on 8/29/2014Best restaurant in Houston, interesting, creative food, changing for all seasons. Thank you Kris for all what you doing here!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!LakeGirlDined on 8/29/2014We visit Kris Bistro often on nights we are headed to performances downtown. The ambiance is unique in that you have a view of the working kitchen; the servers are wonderfully attentive; and the food is unsurpassed! AND you get all this for an absolute bargain. It is a dining spot not to be missed!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Will definitely go back. The food was outstanding. This is one of the best kept secrets in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodluvgoodfoodDined on 8/28/2014Great neighbor gem. Real gourmet food and the desserts were wonderful. Will return.Special Features:
- Lovely Lunch!HoustonBuyersVIPDined on 8/27/2014We went there to taste the menu for a school event and I'm very glad we did. The Lobster salad was delicious and the dessert to die for. The waiter described our dishes and history in such of entertaining way, the lunch was a nice experience. We didn't get a wine list, however staff brought me their recommended Sauvignon Blanc and it was right on the spot. I just wish I had more time to enjoy a second glass. Overall, a great experience for the money.Special Features:
- New Discovery!lggnd95VIPDined on 8/26/2014I had no idea that this place existed until I used my app to look for a place for dinner! Excellent food and wine!Special Features:
- Hidden gem!jimminycricketDined on 8/26/2014Ten minutes from my Heights neighborhood! (Stay off I45 and go up Airline.) I don't give out 5 stars often but the lavender glazed Scottish Salmon that night was transcendent. The pickled veggies on the side, not so much but they weren't bad either. The Chicken Walewska was also good. I will admit the food was a little uneven but write that off to students who haven't yet fully developed their chops: the Tuna Poke appetizer had too much dressing and the Oysters Martinique had just too much other stuff. The gravlax looked good but did not taste. The desserts were better: the sorbet was creamy (without cream) and delicious...raspberry, strawberry, cherry and champagne berry scoops. Beware the caffeine in the darkly chocolate Opera!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vljfDined on 8/26/2014The combination of food, ambiance, service and price and value make the restaurant outstanding and probably the best in the city of Houston.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseLSWilliamsDined on 8/23/2014We joined another couple for dinner during HRW. The restaurant's location is a bit out of the way. The decor is nice with pops of color. You can actually have a conversation here. We ordered the tuna poke off the regular menu for a slight up charge. It was worth it - super fresh and in a great marinade. I then had a perfectly cooked salmon. I ordered the lemon tart which was fine but I liked the mouse with ganache much better. We brought our own wine. The corkage is only $10. Our waiter was friendly, knew the menu and appeared when needed.Special Features:
- More than Worth the DriveDaleVIPDined on 8/23/2014Although it's a bit of a drive, Kris's is well worth it. We love the care that's taken with the menu, the food, the wine and the service from the minute you arrive (in the parking lot, to the hostess, and throughout the meal) until you leave. It all comes together in a wonderful evening and food & wine event. The food is scumptous and the very reasonably priced wine list provides a terrific (but not over-powering) selection. We suggest trying as many different dishes and apriongs as possible, allowing your expert server to be your guide. Raymond was our guide and very appreciated. Wathcing the work in the kitchen is a nice and added bonus. Go to Kris's and take your family & friends. The kudos will be yours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savory foodsMACCDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed the beef tartare, chicken walewska chocolate mousse and wine pairings. This restaurant is located in a culinary school which was neat. You could see some of the classrooms while walking to the bathroom. The outside of the building could use a new design. Surprising find! Go eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foundJTTaylorDined on 8/19/2014Would never find it or stop by or even guess there is a restaurant there if it wasn't for Restaurant week but pleased we did. Very nice food, reasonable prices, posh menu, great service.Special Features:
- Great food, wine and serviceQuickstepDined on 8/16/2014Great value! The food is exceptional and the restaurant itself is lovely once you get inside and beyond the front desk. The location may be off-putting to some but considering it is a culinary institute the experience is well worth it. The culinary students go out of their way to serve you.Special Features:
- AMAZING!biancaamadorDined on 8/15/2014The food was amazing! I will definitely be coming back for more =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdEd24Dined on 8/14/2014Always great. I've never had a bad meal and the people are very gracious. Will tell as many people as possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Kriss Houstontrevnoc2Dined on 8/14/2014I visited with my wife for lunch Kriss during HRW Location: It is not the most desirable location for a restaurant. Ambiance : not to many people where the day of our visit, you can see through window glass the kitchen with people working especially students. Food: Our appetizer was Gravlax, it was OK, but not something to remember, The entrée was three pieces of chicken with kind of fish stock as cream,it was a very fishy taste, I am not sure it was the roe of salmon added or a mistake during the preparation, it was a very fishy taste, and two pieces of chicken will be enough Dessert very good lemon tart with very nice presentation. Bread very good.. Service: Very good Price Good
- Diamond in the roughOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014Kris Bistro was a complete surprise. The food is fantastic (especially the beef tartare), the atmosphere is great. It's warm and cozy without the need to use a flashlight to read the menu. The noise level was perfect - not too loud; not too quiet. A great place for romantic dinner for 2, a business dinner or group function. Being able to watch the chefs work as you dine was a treat as the well. If I had to choose one thing to improve on - expand the wine by the glass list and offer more local beers.Special Features:
- Quite the find!SKBinConroeDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner during Houston Dining Week, and although there were several menu items not available due to supply issues, we had a great experience! CJ, our server and a student in the program, did an excellent job taking care of us, making recommendations on food and wine, and explaining their program and their food. The charcuterie is unique, and a treat for Houston - take advantage of this opportunity! Our meal was prepared by student alumni, and was excellent. Around the table, we had fish, chicken, and steak, and it was all excellently executed and presented beautifully. We made the trip from Conroe, and will definitely be returning! The $10 corkage fee is really reasonable, and we shared a special bottle for the occasion!Special Features:
- What a surprise!guestDined on 8/5/2014When we drove up to the building it looked questionable, BUT, please don't let that put you off. Once you are led into the restaurant, WOW, what a nice place. Amazing food and service, plus you can watch the students at work. We will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed New Summer MenuJencatDined on 8/2/2014We went to Kris this time for Restaurant Weeks and to try out the new summer menu. For appetizers my husband had The Wedge and I had the Gravlax. The Gravlax I'd had before and it was still great. Unfortunately the Tuna Poke wasn't on the Restaurant Weeks menu because I really wanted to try it. The Wedge was surprising good. I'm not a fan of iceberg lettuce, but they really managed to elevate it. DH's Striped Bass was amazing and my Chicken Walewska was rich and creamy. The wine that was recommended was a perfect accompaniment to everything. For dessert I got the Opera, which was as good as it always is and DH got the Lemon Tart, which is a great summery addition to the menu. Can't wait to go back and explore more of the new menu!Special Features:
- When to eat at a culinary schoolThourotluvsfoodDined on 8/2/2014This is a great destination on a normal night. My wife and I enjoyed our meal and the entire experience. The staff was friendly and attentive without being invasive. The entire experience was one to remember. I read bad reviews about valentines night. Never go to a culinary school restaurant on a night like that. Pick a normal quiet night and watch the new chefs shine. Enjoy what they have to offer on a less stressful evening and save the stressful nights for Brenner's. I work at a competitor culinary school and we couldnt have done as well as these talented persons did. I say come and enjoy what they have but dont do it on a holiday or high traffic night if you really want to experience their talents.Special Features:
- A rare treat on the northsideChrisTVIPDined on 8/1/2014A fun wine list. Perfectly seasoned beef tartar with layers of flavor. Sweet, savory, and creamy foie. Perfectly cooked shrimp. And a lovely succulent ribeye, highlighted with just S&P, the essence of beef! We had ours with one the hardest to find red wine varietals, Pinot Meunier. The rich dark, red fruit presence of a Pinot with a tantalizing muskiness like a late summer rose. It's like nothing you've drunk before. The chocolate desserts were wonderfully intense with well controlled sweetness. Extremely satisfying. Throughout the meal our waiter was attentative and informative, but not at all intrusive, a combination too uncommon in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlmostJenFerDiegoDined on 8/1/2014Located at the Culinary Institute, this place is a secret gem for sure. The menu is interesting and trendy, but on our Friday night there, there seemed to be no kitchen mnager, so of our party of 8, 3 of them had food wrong, cold, or not cooked enough. And by 8:00, they had run out of the 2 most popular dishes, which of course most of us wanted to order! Our waiter was nice, and they did give us a bottle of wine at no charge for the inconvenience. Overall, it was a nice environment, and our large party had a great time, so the food didnt matter. But its worth mentioning.Special Features:
- Beautiful, tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Everything was lovingly prepared and tasted great. The service was friendly and just right. The wine list is nice, and the wine is very fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First Experience Eating hereAmalina52VIPDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I tried Kris Bistro on a recommendation from a friend. We were pleasantly surprised. We both ordered the crab cakes to start. Although they were small they were very delicious ! I wish there had been 2 of them. I got the grilled salmon which was very tasty and my husband got the scallops. All very good! Then for dessert he got the chocolate hazelnut mousse and I got the lemon tart. All very good. We were very satisfied with our meal, it's presentation, and the wines we chose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ad always a pleasurecduwaertsDined on 7/23/2014I've now been to Kris twice and it has been fantastic each time! The dishes are fresh and surprising!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star restaurant at 3 star priceChuckDined on 7/18/2014I've been here a couple of times and both times have been awesome. Food is fantastic and the student chefs do a great job of passionately explaining the meal. I recommend this place without a doubt. I can't wait to try it for lunch. It's an odd place but well worth the five minute drive from downtown. The beer (bottle) selection is great. Not a ton of beers but all top notch. The parking is free and there is a security guard to watch the cars. Everybody there is super friendly. And the bread is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille Day Brunchshelley18Dined on 7/12/2014Have been here previously for other events and "just" for dinner. The quality of food is outstanding. Events are often with an interactive kitchen that is quite informative and fun. Also gives you an opportunity to try food that you have not had previously.Special Features:
- Always Great!PamelaVIPDined on 7/8/2014As a teaching school/restaurant, you have to expect some glitches. The waiters and staff are always friendly. The food is always superb. On this visit one member of our party ordered a menu item that was a recommendation from the waiter. About 10 min later, the waiter. An out and said it was not available that evening. The waiter should have been apprised of this upon arrival that evening. As I said, it is a teaching restaurant and you Have to expect some glitches. Everything we ordered was fabulous.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodLindaVIPDined on 6/26/2014I have been here for lunch twice and super once. It has never disappointed. The food is fantastic - interesting flavours and combinations. Service is always friendly and professional. Love this place.Special Features:
- Our favorite in The Heights areaChrisDined on 6/21/2014Limited menu suits us very well. Great care with the food. Nice and quiet. Not freezing cold like many Houston restaurants. Thoughtful house wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.