Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge
Houston, TX 77022Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.krisbistro.com/
- Phone: (713) 358-5079
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: TUES - THURS 5:30-9; FRI & SAT 5:30-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Kristopher Jakob
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant can hold 70
Banquet Room holds 40
Private Lounge - Wine Bar and Table for 12
- Private Party Contact: Jerry Arguelles 713-358-5068
- Entertainment: Dining Room is surrounded by 150 Feet of glass looking into three operating kitchens to provide visual interest for Foodies and Dining Room movement.
A word from Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge
Located 7 minutes North of Downtown this North Village Modern French Bistro supports and showcases local growers, local artists, French wines and aspiring chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Kris Bistro & Wine Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)special occasion (55)romantic (48)notable wine list (38)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Amazing food in a relaxed atmosphere. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Being tied to the culinary school, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was incredible. The food was better than I have had at fine dining restaurants around the world. The service was equally great. I hope more people find Kris Bistro & Wine because it deserves the attention. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable fine diningLaurenNicole23Dined on 11/21/2014Kris's food has a local heartbeat and unbeatable flavor. The menu is constantly evolving to reflect seasonal availability. Because it is a part of the culinary school, it is incredibly affordable. Do not let the low prices fool you! This food easily competes, and even surpasses, any of Houston's other fine dining establishments. You owe it to yourself to go ASAP :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service for Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/18/2014I have always raved about the food and service at Kris Bistro, however, last night's dinner was absolutely terrible. Our server was quite rude, and when we ordered a second bottle of wine, he brought it to the table and didn't even pour it. We were a party of three, and each of us ordered appetizers, entrees and desserts. Thirty minutes after we placed our orders, the server brought us our entrees, before our appetizers! When we reminded him that we had ordered appetizers, he took back the entrees and we waited for another 20 minutes for our appetizers. Our entrees were later brought back out, after having sat in the kitchen for the entire time it took for our appetizers to be prepared and eaten. This was supposed to be a special occasion dinner that was ruined by poor service and cold food. We didn't even get an apology nor were we provided with a review card.
- Dinner and a showJohnJDined on 11/18/2014Have been twice now and both times outstanding. Best chicken picatta I have had anywhere. Excellent list of european beers and great/reasonable wine list. On Tuesdays (and maybe other days), the cooking class is in session and you get a view of the class while eating. Not quite "Chopped", but added to the overall nice atmosphere. Service was excellent - friendly, attentive, and helpful. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite innovative restaurantgustatoryDined on 11/8/2014I simply love the earnest efforts of true culinary devotees who cook and serve and perfect their craft in doing so. Even more polished and professional than well located commercial establishments, this restaurant has it all: A changing menu with no dish that appears tired or prepared without love. The portions are ample and the presentations lovely. Kris has his act together and his instincts are impeccable. Try the unbelievable lobstah salad when in season. I could go on and on about the appetizers like oysters on plaintain chips and entrees like the divine sirloin or the lamb shank. Did I mention that the bread is warm and oh so crusty?Special Features:
- SherryDined on 11/7/2014The food and presentation were a pleasant surprise and definitely a treat, especially since it was prepared by the culinary students. It was a little hard to find but next time won't be a problem. We definitely will go back and enjoy this restaurant.Special Features:
- Culinary Institute mostly good!sjriley95Dined on 11/1/2014Kris Bistro is Houston's culinary school restaurant and mostly delivers! Other than a bland wedge salad dressing, we were delighted with our meal. Steak, ahi poke, and more all very well executed.Special Features:
- houtexDined on 11/1/2014The new menu has several items. The ones we tried were quite good including a very tasty sauce with the dover sole. Some of the others we will look forward to trying on the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night out at Krist BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014I ooked a table for a family gathering. we ordered several appetizers that we shared, along with main courses and dessert. Wine list is great and well priced. We really enjoyed it. It was my second time, but I know my foodie relatives will be back. I love it that Chef Kris walks around and talks to the guests. They also have ongoing demonstrations-behind a glass wall you can see the work going on in the kitchen. The mixed charcuterie always a pleasure. The presentation very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food with great serviceLSConcoitVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had a lovely dinner there and enjoyed our time tremendously! Food was amazing and will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!troseDined on 10/25/2014I love Kris's Bistro...on this occasion however, our waiter started being very attentive and friendly. As time wore on and the restaurant got busier, he completely blanked us and focused on other tables altogether. He never poured our wine anymore and did not even look our way when we tried to get his attention to get our bill. The other staff did fill in for him and we appreciate that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly amazingZebugDined on 10/25/2014Just happened upon this place surfing the internet for a night on the town with my lady. The food was unreal and the service was perfect. Such a cool little place that is totally hidden inside the cooking school. Even got to meet the chef in the kitchen so felt like they really cared about what we thought. We never right reviews, just usually don't care enough to do so, but while we were eating my date and I agreed that we need to say something positive about Kris Bistro. What a way to start off an incredible evening on the town.Special Features:
- Great dinning placehoneygina8Dined on 10/24/2014My Family and I spend a pleasant dinner at this restaurant. I recommend it to everyone. Cheers, VirginiaSpecial Features:
- Great service, gorgeous foodFoodfanVIPDined on 10/24/2014So many places, you can't get a waiter to provide advice - our waiter at Kris actually had opinions and recommendations that were really helpful! All of the staff are welcoming, friendly and professional. The food is gorgeous and reasonably priced, too. A great opportunity to support the next generation of restaurant professionals for our foodie city!Special Features:
- fun for foodiesFoodontheBayouDined on 10/14/2014The restaurant is located inside a cooking school. When you pull up to the building the outside could be a bit questionable. Once inside and seated it feels just like any other nice restaurant in town, except that there are large glass windows that let you see the culinary students at work. If you're in to food and appreciate food network, this place where s for you. One of the French teachers came out with the students to talk to a couple of tables about the duck patte they were making. The menu had the classic choices and some very creative unique choices. All of the food we ordered was excellent. Service was good and everyone was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to try new things.CiryxDined on 10/11/2014Chef Kris has a very interesting menu with creative takes on classic ingredients. Prepare to be amazed by the combinations of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best eat in HoustonKSNashvegasDined on 10/3/2014Fab service, food, ambience My daughter had an amazing steak w homemade French fries that came with 3 dipping sauces and a fresh arugula salad I had bass that was incredible along with a salad w amazing homemade dressing Dessert was the best-creme brûlée and a toffee bar As a final touch they brought out a tray of homemade chocolates I will definitely return to this gem located in the culinary institute Bravo !!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let location scare youIKnowWhatILikeDined on 10/3/2014Gated area with active friendly guard. This is part of an active culinary school. If you are a foodie...don't pass this one by!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemvgmodugnoDined on 9/30/2014Although a bit odd when you drive up, don't be deterred! There is a wonderful restaurant in the heart of this culinary school. We were a bit confused walking in, it looked more like an office entry than a restaurant foyer. We were greeted by a gentleman and asked to have a seat. He was sad to say he would not be around for service this evening. We later found out that he was Mr. NeNôtre, owner of the cooking school. Our hostess walked us down a hall with pictures, maps, and awards. Then we were pleasantly surprised by a beautifully designed restaurant. The menu changes seasonally but has something for everyone. Our entire meal was delicious. The staff was lovely and made us feel very welcome. Did I mention they have cooking classes!Special Features:
- Great food & service staffRisky77Dined on 9/17/2014This was our 3rd time here, and we continue to be impressed with the quality of food, wine, and service. It's fun to watch the student chefs learning and practicing food prep techniques in 1/2 of the kitchen, while the experienced chefs are in the other 1/2 of the kitchen preparing customers' food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super great foodlawcatDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant is a hidden gem. We love the food and service was excellent. Will recommend and come back soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysObnoxDined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent as always. Raymond, our waiter was unobtrusive but had wine and other beverages filled and refilled at precisely the right moments. CJ, the manager handled a packed restaurant with aplomb. And Beverly, bless her heart, made an especially beautiful dessert plate for our eight year old grandson's birthday. Thanks to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ValueFoodieJackDined on 9/12/2014The meal was OK. I can't say exactly what it was lacking, but I wasn't blown away, either. The caveat would be the nice custom dessert plate they brought to our table for my padtner's birthday (don't worry, the don't sing and clap).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014The food and service was amazing. It was our first time there and we went on a Wednesday. Not many people The entrance was through the c Culinary institute. The restaurant was veri nice, well decorated and had good ambiance. The waiter was very knowledgable and gave great recommendations. We both had three courses and all was amazing. I can highly recommend this for people that appreciate good food vs the most in style restaurant.Special Features:
- Diamond in a rough neigborhoodrowkevinVIPDined on 9/9/2014Although this is a culinary institute restaurant, we were a bit concerned when we drove into a fenced in parking lot with a security guard during our first visit to Kris Bistro. However, our initial trepedation quickly abated after we entered the dining area and found an intriguing menu and wine list. There were large windows to watch the sous chefs prepare the evening meal. The noise level was conducive to having a nice conversation without having to raise our voices. Service was excellent with recommendations and explanations about the food provided to those who inquired. And yes, the food was terrific!Special Features:
- AnniversaryOuchDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our 51st. wedding anniversary there and it was our first visit.... I couldn't be more pleased with the evening.... the dessert they made for us was a work of art. These are really nice people....Special Features:
- Great experience!CDoanDined on 9/5/2014We were a large party celebrating a recent engagement and my husband's birthday. The food was delicious and the service was amazing. Our waiter was very attentive! We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cocoDined on 9/4/2014Kris Bistro was recommended by a friend. The food...the staff... EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- Excellent service, delicious foodeagletDined on 8/30/2014Service was excellent. Wait staff knowledgeable. The wine list has wines to fit every budget and the wait staff know which wine will complement your dinning experience. The menu is seasonal, therefore the food is very fresh, prepared with love. This was our anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed, neither in the food nor the service. Kris Bistro always strives to make their patrons feel very special and they succeed.Special Features:
- Thanks, comming back!PiterDined on 8/29/2014Best restaurant in Houston, interesting, creative food, changing for all seasons. Thank you Kris for all what you doing here!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!LakeGirlDined on 8/29/2014We visit Kris Bistro often on nights we are headed to performances downtown. The ambiance is unique in that you have a view of the working kitchen; the servers are wonderfully attentive; and the food is unsurpassed! AND you get all this for an absolute bargain. It is a dining spot not to be missed!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Will definitely go back. The food was outstanding. This is one of the best kept secrets in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodluvgoodfoodDined on 8/28/2014Great neighbor gem. Real gourmet food and the desserts were wonderful. Will return.Special Features:
- Lovely Lunch!HoustonBuyersVIPDined on 8/27/2014We went there to taste the menu for a school event and I'm very glad we did. The Lobster salad was delicious and the dessert to die for. The waiter described our dishes and history in such of entertaining way, the lunch was a nice experience. We didn't get a wine list, however staff brought me their recommended Sauvignon Blanc and it was right on the spot. I just wish I had more time to enjoy a second glass. Overall, a great experience for the money.Special Features:
- New Discovery!lggnd95VIPDined on 8/26/2014I had no idea that this place existed until I used my app to look for a place for dinner! Excellent food and wine!Special Features:
- Hidden gem!jimminycricketDined on 8/26/2014Ten minutes from my Heights neighborhood! (Stay off I45 and go up Airline.) I don't give out 5 stars often but the lavender glazed Scottish Salmon that night was transcendent. The pickled veggies on the side, not so much but they weren't bad either. The Chicken Walewska was also good. I will admit the food was a little uneven but write that off to students who haven't yet fully developed their chops: the Tuna Poke appetizer had too much dressing and the Oysters Martinique had just too much other stuff. The gravlax looked good but did not taste. The desserts were better: the sorbet was creamy (without cream) and delicious...raspberry, strawberry, cherry and champagne berry scoops. Beware the caffeine in the darkly chocolate Opera!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vljfDined on 8/26/2014The combination of food, ambiance, service and price and value make the restaurant outstanding and probably the best in the city of Houston.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseLSWilliamsDined on 8/23/2014We joined another couple for dinner during HRW. The restaurant's location is a bit out of the way. The decor is nice with pops of color. You can actually have a conversation here. We ordered the tuna poke off the regular menu for a slight up charge. It was worth it - super fresh and in a great marinade. I then had a perfectly cooked salmon. I ordered the lemon tart which was fine but I liked the mouse with ganache much better. We brought our own wine. The corkage is only $10. Our waiter was friendly, knew the menu and appeared when needed.Special Features:
- More than Worth the DriveDaleVIPDined on 8/23/2014Although it's a bit of a drive, Kris's is well worth it. We love the care that's taken with the menu, the food, the wine and the service from the minute you arrive (in the parking lot, to the hostess, and throughout the meal) until you leave. It all comes together in a wonderful evening and food & wine event. The food is scumptous and the very reasonably priced wine list provides a terrific (but not over-powering) selection. We suggest trying as many different dishes and apriongs as possible, allowing your expert server to be your guide. Raymond was our guide and very appreciated. Wathcing the work in the kitchen is a nice and added bonus. Go to Kris's and take your family & friends. The kudos will be yours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.