535 South Lindbergh Blvd
St. Louis, MO 63131Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://kreisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3149930735
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kevin Green
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and group dining available from 10-70 guests. Please call for details.
A word from Kreis' Restaurant
Kreis' has been a St. Louis favorite for over 60 years. Famous for our world renowned Prime Rib.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Kreis' Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Frontenac ›
Kreis' Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (10)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Best steak and Prime rib houseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Kreis consistently delivers top quality meat and food. You can spend way more at 801 or Mortons but receive similar quality foodSpecial Features:
- Excellent FoodNanoVIPDined on 8/25/2014The service was very slow to start. Once we finally got our order taken everything was fine. The waiter had too many tables that needed his attention before he could get to us and take our order. the other waiter in the room had nothing to do. The food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great serviceDavidDined on 8/23/2014Kreis' is a classic, and we always seek out its festive atmosphere and fine food for a special occasion. Our service was wonderful. Very attentive, always within a glance when we needed something. Wonderful meal!Special Features:
- Superb SteaksskaetsttamDined on 8/21/2014This restaurant is a long time gem in the St Louis area. They have never lost their their touch in providing superb food (especially prime rib & steaks) & service. When anyone asks me from out of town where to go for a steakhouse I never hesitate to recommend Kreis' Restaurant. Take my advice, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialHere4thefoodDined on 8/15/2014This was our first time at Kreis. The crab cake was average. Prime rib was very good. Waiter seemed disinterested and did nothing to add to the experience. There was music playing too loudly and it was big band type music from the 50's. Overall disappointed based on expectations.
- Birthday Celebration FavoriteFamilyFavDined on 8/10/2014The food is good, the service exceptional. We have never had a bad experience here. It is a family favorite.Special Features:
- Extraordinary SteakMarkVIPDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I split the Cowboy rib eye with a side of shrooms. Cooked perfectly. It was one of the best steaks I have had in St. Louis. Even though we split it, we have about a third of it left. Huge steak and very, very tasty.
- Been eating at Kreis for 38 yearsCSUFDanmanDined on 8/3/2014I have enjoyed eating at Kreis since I moved to St. Louis. The quality of their food is always consistent. If you have never been there, you must give it try and believe me you will go back again.Special Features:
- Continues to be a FavoritesusiejcDined on 8/2/2014We love Kreis' Restaurant. It is one of our favorite place to dine and the food and service is always spot on. We had Kirk and he is just the best server they have. My husband ordered the large fillet and it was cooked perfectly with a little Vienna sauce on the side. I ordered the prime rib and of course it never disappoints. We started with the garlic shrimp and the ravioli and they were both wonderful. The shrimp sauce was juicy and not overly garlicky. A nice bottle of wine topped off a wonderful birthday day. They never disappoint on quality of food or service.Special Features:
- A bit offldgaffVIPDined on 7/31/2014My wife and I have eaten at Kreis's many times over the years with nary a hiccup. However, in our latest visit my wife's entree was not up to par. She usually get halibut and it historically is excellent,. Tonights version was no where close. It looked and tasted more like something you would get at a casual restaurant rather than a fine dining place. I would have sent it back but my wife didn't want to. My steak special as well as everything else we had were in thye usual Kreis's quality. Probably won't get halibut again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, great steak!LBStLouisVIPDined on 7/30/2014Steaks here are always the way to go. Very busy for a Wednesday night. Service is very good but not warm and friendly.Special Features:
- donnaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Steaks are the best here. I know they are really known for their prime rib but we go for their great steaks and wonderful service. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place!RockDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed the food and the service. The prime rib was very good. We enjoyed drinks before and after dinner. Our waiter did a fine job. This is not a cheap place to eat but we like it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really goodmarkDined on 6/24/2014really good steaks. i have been to Kreis's 4 or 5 times. every time was good. steaks are the specialty. I had a 32 OZ cowboy ribeye that was as good as i have had in STL. Steak prices are very reasonable for the quality. Apps, sides, salads are more reasonable than other high end steakhouses. dinning room is a little crowded but ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kreis', delicious as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014Food was great and the service was exceptional. Only disappointment was Pat, the Maître d' and a very nice man, was on vacation. Glad to see they replaced the flooring as the old tiles were very slippery. Nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GussieTDined on 6/14/2014If someone is looking for a restaurant recommendation, Kreis should be the first suggestion. Cost an extra buck, but well worth it and they'll leave wanting to come back. Great Food, Great Service!Special Features:
- donnaVIPDined on 6/12/2014The food is always beyond what we expect. It is one of our favorite places. You can not find a better steak anywhere. We had Kirk last night and he was super. He anticipated all our needs and service was excellent. (But don't say anything you don't want him to hear he has some great hearing. I didn't even have to tell him what wine I wanted he heard me tell my husband and....there it was!) Love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3GuysDined on 6/6/2014Classic "old school" meat-and-potatoes longstanding favorite with German influences. Setting offers upscale tavern appeal with experienced staff, great cocktails, and high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Wife's favorite spotGreatfulDinerDined on 5/31/2014We tend to go to Kreis' for special occasions. They have never disappointed us. The service was impeccable. The waiters and staff were there always at the right time. It was a well choreographed dinner. My wife and I both had steaks. She had a strip with blue cheese on top, while I had a filet with a burgundy-mushroom reduction. Both steaks were cooked to order and they were tender and tasty. I would highly recommend a trip to Kreis'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/Average ServiceCandKinSTLDined on 5/24/2014Our second time to Kreis' and still left wondering if we will ever leave with a great overall experience. It is certainly a hidden gem off 67; however, slight missteps with the service have been costly in our opinion to a restaurant that could be great. I will keep this short by saying, love the scallops. Hands down, best my wife and I have EVER had. My wife's Sliced Tenderloin Oscar was served lukewarm and ruined would should have been a great meal. Our biggest complaint is the service. Jerry, who tried to make an effort at the end, was just not very warm; in fact, came across as a bit snobbish. It was our anniversary, and we clearly stated it at the start of dinner. It was a special occasion which unfortunately fell flat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating Out with EotaEota4dinnerDined on 5/12/2014The reaturant did what I asked, to have a table that was removed from the main stream as it was after a corporate meeting and we all wanted to be able to talk and visit. The food was excellent and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal and would love to come back next year. The roast beef, steak and veal parmesgan were cooked perfectly as well as everything else we ate. Delicious Key Lime pie! We had a very nice waiter the service was wonderful, Thank you for taking care of us .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2014Go here for wonderful prime rib and steaks, even the seafood and sides are excellent. Be prepared for an old world look and dated atmosphere, but the food really shinesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for adults and childrenKyleSTLDined on 5/6/2014The food is excellent. For the kids, there are chicken strips off the menu that we have everytime we go. Keeps everyone happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 180 reviews are from the Kreis' Restaurant reviews archive.
- EatoitVIPDined on 4/24/2014We had a Kreis coupon that they did not take off our bill, charged us for three glasses of wine when we only had twoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014The ambiance of the restaurant is old fashioned and dated. While the prices are upscale the food is not. Steaks were grisly and and not tender. Salads were basic cafeteria. Would not go back.
- Kreis's is always fantastic *******Racepro55Dined on 4/18/2014We try to get to Kreis's when ever we can, also when we have a group of folks, they always please with service, food and atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Frozen in Time...ArbyDined on 4/12/2014Our friends said it was great prime rib, so decided to give it a try while traveling to St Louis for the weekend. It was good, but the real enjoyment was that the experience took me back to the early 1980's when I was waiter at a supper club in Wisconsin! The nautical decor in the middle of the Midwest, the hushed semi-formal service, sesame bread sticks with frozen butter patties, a sprig of parsley set next to the prime rib, wine glass printed with Kreis' name on it... All of this was a deja vu moment for me! It's actually kind of nice to experience the classics done well, instead of the trend of the moment that many restaurants take a stab at, only to jump to something else the next month. Just don't sit in the basement...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceJoeSDined on 4/11/2014Very good experience, will return on occasional basis. Service a "little" slow on the little things--getting dirty dishes cleared--a little slow on cocktail service--but overall VERY satisfied. A few cocktails, a lower priced bottle of wine and two VERY good steaks $250.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Expectations Not MetJdpfifDined on 4/10/2014A friend highly recommended this restaurant and me and my guests were excited to take part in what was billed as the best prime rib in the U.S. The service from Frank was Ok. He seemed preoccupied and not overly helpful. The prime rib was not fork tender as I was lead to believe. Two others at my table also experienced tough cuts of prime rib associated with cold vegetable sides. I would not consider this anywhere near the best prime rib in the U.S.
- Excess of fat on steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I wasn't impressed and the waiter also got my order wrong. Steak was covered in fat.
- Great Prime RibAliBDined on 4/5/2014Even though there were some issues at check-in due to many parties arriving at once, the prime rib was the best I have had in St. Louis. It was tender, perfectly cooked, and delicious. Baked potatoes, bread, seasonal salad, and dessert (all desserts are made in-house) were also excellent. It has that old-school steakhouse vibe, but I couldn't argue with the food. The only downside was the garlic shrimp, which didn't have a lot of flavor and were a bit overcooked. Didn't mar the experience, though - 5/5, would recommend to anyone looking for an excellent prime rib dinner.Special Features:
- Great expereince! My steakCerrisaDined on 4/4/2014Great expereince! My steak was prepared perfectly, just the way I like it. The service was awseome as well. The staff were very attentive to all our needs. I never had to look for someone or wait to be acknowledged. I visited this restaurant after it was suggested by a co-worker. I was accompanied by a client and it was absolutley great! I would highly recommend this place and would definitely return for future dining outings/experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The steak was excellent, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2014The steak was excellent, but the sides were nothing to rave about. My double baked potato was dry / a little burnt and the side of creamed spinach was too small for the price tag. I also had the spinach salad that was a special for the evening which was delicious.Special Features:
- Came back after a long absenceJeffDined on 3/28/2014My wife, daughter and boyfriend came for dinner for my birthday. The food was good, but not excellent as it had been in the past. We came on a Friday and the restaurant was only about half full which surprised me, maybe Lent? Our waiter was quite slow and was a bit rude. However, the other waitress did a superb job of keeping the table clean and drinks full throughout the evening. My wife and I have not been here in a few years and had enjoyed ourselves (always looking forward to a return visit), but have to question the cost of the meal for quality of the meal and services provided. The used to be a gem but is a bit tarnished. The vent above our table was held together by duct tape.Special Features:
- Loved the steakDanielDined on 3/21/2014As always, the steak was flavorful and cooked to perfection. Staff was friendly and efficient. Apple strudel was a great way the finish the meal!Special Features:
- Memorable ExperienceRetirementPartyofEightDined on 3/20/2014Awesome and memorable place, staff and food to celebrate any major event, for me my retirement after 41+ years. Joined with family, peers and long time friends. We'll be back and we will be recommending. Thanks a million!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DestinationjuniorsmomDined on 3/16/2014Prime rib. One of the best in St. Louis makes Kreis' Restaurant a destination worthy of review. The attention given by all the staff makes your evening a special treat in every aspect from the moment you enter the door. The presentation of dishes, as well as their taste, marks this venue as one to visit for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as everldgaffVIPDined on 3/4/2014Excellent food,great service. Hard to best for a great steak or seafood. A little on the pricey dude but you get what you pay forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGreenhillDined on 3/1/2014The service was slow. The waiter appeared disinterested. The crab cakes were excellent. The Caprese salad was quite good. The prime rib which is supposed to be their specialty was not that good. Portion sizes were more than adequate. My wife had a New York strip steak. She prefers to the New York strip at Fleming's. You can hold a conversation though.
- Same ole GREATNESSOldSchoolRulesDined on 2/28/2014Kreis' (pronounced Chris's) is the second oldest restaurant in St. Louis at 76 years old. It's known for perhaps the best prime rib on the planet with its smallest cut at 16 oz. and largest at 64oz with a "melt in your mouth" texture and decadent flavor. Their steaks are prime, aged and wonderfully seasoned and always to the exact temperature. The veal dishes are fantastic (I especially like Schnitzel a la Holstein) and they DON'T CHANGE. Haven't we leaned since 2008 that "change" isn't always good? Kreis' is a "prime" (pardon the pun) example why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.