Krazy Kat's at The Inn at Montchanin Village
Rt 100 & Kirk Road
Montchanin, DE 19710Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Krazy Kat's at The Inn at Montchanin Village
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.krazykatsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (302) 888-4200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast. Monday-Friday. 7am-10am
Breakfast-Brunch Sunday 8am- 2pm
Lunch Monday-Friday 11.30am-2pm
Dinner Monday-Sunday 5.30pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Crow's Nest located above Krazy Kat's Restaurant can accommodate up to 40 guest for social or business reception. Its private entrance gives privacy & is fully accessible. The room has a "home like feel" with fire place, arm chairs & warm decor. Serving Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Dinner provides a-la-carte selection of appetizer, entree & dessert. Foods are prepared & serviced from the Krazy Kat's kitchen. Parking is adjacent to Krazy Kat's & the Crow's Nest & guests enjoy strolling through the gardens & the Village. The Village Horticulturist & his team take great pride in maintaining the grounds & gardens. In early May all the plants & perennials are taken out the well-kept green houses to adorn the gardens. December Holidays are always festive & the Village is decorated accordingly with many lights & trees.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Braune 3028884204x
- Cross Street: Rockland Road
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There are three well lit Parking areas around the Village, all very close to gardens & the Restaurant. Guests with physical difficulties may park just across the restaurant. This private setting gives the guests an opportunity to stroll around the gardens. Parking for the Restaurant patrons & house guests is free.
A word from Krazy Kat's at The Inn at Montchanin Village
Krazy Kat's Restaurant is within the ground of the Inn at Montchanin Village thus located 4 miles N.W. of Wilmington, Delaware. It was once the village blacksmith shop an you still may see the hooks on the walls as well as the forge which is now a fire place. The whimsical decor features tiger print chairs & portraits of military-garbed felines. It offers modern American Cuisine & our Chef always uses seasonal & regional products to maintain freshness & creativity. The wine list contains wines around the world with emphasis on domestic wines especially Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc. Crow's Nest above the Restaurant provides total privacy up to 40 guests with its own entrance & features a-la- -carte menu in a home like setting with fire place. Our guests like to stroll through the grounds & gardens that are all meticulously kept by our horticulturist & his team. The Krazy Kat's restaurant has receive many accolades locally & regionally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Krazy Kat's at The Inn at Montchanin Village - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Krazy Kat's at The Inn at Montchanin Village reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (70)fit for foodies (66)romantic (60)great for lunch (27)neighborhood gem (27)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (25)good for groups (9)scenic view (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2014What a surprise! After visiting Winterthur we stayed at the Inn. We made dinner and brunch reservations at Krazy Kat's. This turned out to be one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at. The crab bisque was fabulous. My wife had the short rib and kept talking about how good it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale comfort food at it's bestDoRaymeDined on 11/21/2014We had dinner for the first time at Krazy Kats recently and left wondering what had taken us so long to go. The executive chef, Joe Johnson really knows how to do delicious comfort foods with an upscale twist. The flavors were amazing and we loved that he gives you the option to get nearly every entree in a small portion which allows you to try a few different entrees vs having to decide on one which is hard to do with so many wonderful options. We had an amazing sever, Barbara, who took such good care of us and gave us lots of feedback as to what her recommendations were and they were all spot on. After being so full from dinner we didn't think we had any room left for dessert but we tried two desserts and they were equally as good and flavorful as dinner. We can't wait to go back and try the winter seasonal menu that Joe comes up with. We know it will be amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and InvitingCatCamDined on 11/19/2014On a cold night we were delighted with a warm fireplace and very comfortable chairs. The decor is quirky and delightful. The food was absolutely wonderful. Crab cakes were among the best I have ever had. The steak was tender and cooked perfectly. We shared a cheese plate that was excellent. Entrees come in two sizes which make it possible to try two different plates. I combined the crab cakes with the Decker steak and I was was very pleased with my meal. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not up to normal standardsAnnieBVIPDined on 11/16/2014Brunch on Sunday. Speedy service, delightful ambience as always. But when I asked for specifics about one dish, it was clear the waitress had no clue about distinctions in a primary ingredient. I decided to order the dish anyway, and it really was NOT good. The "smoked salmon" crepes had bland sauce with NO hint of brie, woody asparagus stalks and not very good crepes. The salmon was baked salmon, with nary a hint of smoking. I was hoping it was lox-style salmon; would not have ordered it otherwise. OTOH, my two guests, who had never visited before, loved the place and the atmosphere. They were both very happy with their meals -- Eggs Benedict and pumpkin pancakes. So, since it was a huge success for them, and I know Krazy Kat's can do a whole lot better, I'm giving this four stars overall. Normally, I think of KK as a five-star place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- XXXXXXXXXXXXXVIPDined on 11/15/2014HAVE DINED HERE MANY TIMES ALWAYS EXCEPTIIONAL FRIENDLY ATFF EXCELLENT FOODSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeaterKateDined on 11/12/2014So great! I had the half sandwich/soup and it was delicious, and not one of those wimpy "ladies lunches", a real portion. Splitting the smores brownie was a good idea because we were too full to finish it. The menu is varied, and offers really unexpected choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experiencebernDined on 11/7/2014Food was outstanding. Presentation was beautiful -drinks or bar service was exceptional. Whole dining experience was one to remember. Such ambiance in such a little out of the way village. ***** for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAmieduvinDined on 11/3/2014We got the soup and sandwich combo. They both were outstanding.Special Features:
- Crab cakes disappointedWilmingtonDined on 11/2/2014Krazy Kats is one of our "special occasion" spots. Great atmosphere and service. My wife's antelope was perfect. I was disappointed by the crab cakes, which should be good in this area. Too much breading. Restaurant should do better at these prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and great foodAMKMVDined on 11/2/2014We ha dinner and brunch year during a stay at montchanin village... Both meals were amazing! This has quickly become one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Krazy Katz Good DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014My husband, daughter and I went there Saturday night for dinner. The food was very good and the staff very accommodating. The ambiance was delightful with the tasteful "Katz" theme and very well done. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- DeliciousKateDined on 10/28/2014Food was excellent. Server - not so much. Always the disappearing wait staff. Maybe not enough, but ended waiting for the check, the change, had to go find the server. Wish the efforts were as good at the end of the meal, as they are in the beginning.Special Features:
- extraordinarily bad servicepataDined on 10/22/2014I could not recommend this restaurant at this time. I have been here many times but this time it was awful. Service was as bad as it could be. no spoons. only brought two things for thee people, ice cold coffee, no cream and no checking to see that it was empty and more. Waitress was very off putting. When I tried to report this to the person behind the bar (only available person) she turned her back to me and wouldn't listen. I don't think I'll be going there again.
- Sunday Seafood Quiche Special1wrongchoiceDined on 10/19/2014The muffin shape was difficult to cut with a fork because the crust was so tough and dry ----could be compared to a bouncing ball. The seafood filling was super salty.
- Lovely settingtopspotDined on 10/19/2014Whimsical atmosphere with the cat portraits. We had brunch in their sunroom, which was perfect for an autumn Sunday morning. Wait for food was a little long, but the results were worth it. We tried seafood quiche with a nice side salad, Belgian waffle and pumpkin pancakes. Piping hot orange muffins were brought to the table while we waited. Wait staff polite and friendly. We would go again if in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicGardenLoverDined on 10/15/2014Old school charm. Warm & inviting. Delicious food cooked perfectly. Amazing service. Nice slow paced enjoyable evening. Good cocktails & wine list. Beautiful setting. Great birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place, Great food, Weak DrinkswindyDined on 10/15/2014Upon arriving, the parking was a little odd in relation to the restaurant, but found a space. The restaurant was nicely decorated, but a little to dark for my liking. The food was wonderful. Loved the crab imperial. I ordered a margarita and the waitress seemed surprised, turns out it was the worst margarita I have ever had. Weak with no taste except the salt on the rim! Dessert was wonderful but the coffee was also weak. Great food, but stick with water to drink because that's what you'll get otherwise and pay full price.Special Features:
- A disappointmenteaterouterVIPDined on 10/13/2014Based on reviews, we looked forward to our dinner at Krazy Kats while in Wilmington, however we were very disappointed in the food and the service. We overheard members of the waitstaff describing the menu to other diners, but we did not get the same level of attention. Most of the food was underseasoned and bland. My chicken breast stuffed with mushrooms was ok, but rather dry, and the mac and cheese that came with it was tasteless. The worst was the dessert, billed as a cannoli. The shell was thick and soggy, and the cream filling was not good at all! All in all, a big disappointment.
- Not badLionelVIPDined on 10/12/2014Adventurous menu, not well trained wait staff, some entries great and some notSpecial Features:
- DisappointingJJPDDined on 10/12/2014We have dined at Krazy Kat's several times in the past and have been satisfied. We decided to go there for our anniversary. Unfortunately the meal did not turn out as we would have hoped. The coffee was cold and I asked to replace they just refilled the cup with additional cold coffee. our food arrived and my wife's eggs were undercooked even though she asked for firm eggs. Again both meals were cold. My wife sent her meal back and it took 15 minutes to get a new meal. The server or hostess seemed disinterested and did nothing to resolve our complaints.
- AwesomeFoodie58Dined on 10/11/2014The ambiance, the service and especially the food were outstanding. This was our first time here and we are definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charmDined on 10/8/2014Very pleased! Food was excellent and service was commendable! A nice place to get away - very relaxing and enjoyable!Special Features:
- You won't be disappointed here.RoninBearDined on 10/5/2014My first time here at Krazy Cats, for brunch on a Sunday. What a treat! We ate in the what I would call the "side room." Service was top-notch and the food was even better.Special Features:
- Great food, service and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014took my wife there for no particular reason then we needed some time for ourselves. greeat enue to just relax talk enjoy great food service and the price was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth repeatingLadyQDined on 9/26/2014This was my first visit. Overall, it was a lovely evening. My beef was undercooked, but that was rectified quickly. The rest of the food was wonderful and creative. It is worth a repeat visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting. Ridiculous name!PR618Dined on 9/25/2014Why the owners chose this name is a mystery, but the food is certainly worth the visit, especially if you are a guest at the Village of Montchanin. We had breakfast and dinner there on two different days and enjoyed both. It was Delaware Dines week and the specials were delicious with the portions good sized but not overwhelming. Service in the evening was quite attentive and pleasant, while breakfast service was slow but friendly. Both times the food was above average.Special Features:
- Great Treat!blueroxVIPDined on 9/24/2014Delaware Dines Out was a great opportunity to try a restaurant that would ordinarily be beyond my purse. The food and service were excellent, but I was a bit disappointed with the size of the entree portions. I had the Poached Pear and Root Vegetable Salad, Herb Gremoulata Crusted Diver Scallops and the Brownie “Smores”. The salad was a good size, but the entree had five sea scallops about a half dollar size -- not what I would consider normal size for a sea scallop. The veg with the entree was also on the skimpy side. The S'more was good but I would have preferred a "cake" brownie instead of a fudge brownie -- a matter of personal taste. The servers were very attentive. Had a great evening with my good friend and college roommate!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- :)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Much older crowd, as expected. Went during restaurant week, had never been before. It was a good way to try it for a little less $$. All of the food was great, especially the pork belly to start and the french toast for dessert. Attentive service and perfectly timed as well. Will definitely be going back to try the fall menu in a few weeks.Special Features:
- Just okayLikeGoodFoodDined on 9/23/2014Our experience was mediocre. At the last minute we added one to our party. The hostess came across very annoyed. She informed us we would have to wait as they hadn't set the table for 3 (our reservation was for 2). A woman sitting there said they also has changed their party size and were waiting as well. We didn't mind waiting at all, just didn't appreciate being treated as we were. There were no other people around and only 3 or 4 tables of diners. After we were seated our server was lovely. The soup was excellent, the sandwich was fine. There are 2 dining areas. One is very dark and we were thankful to not be eating there. It was nice and quiet making it easy to talk however we will not be in a hurry to go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014Food was prepared as ordered, steak was served perfect medium rare as ordered. Service was very good. Portions were larger than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dineFun2dineDined on 9/22/2014Enjoyed the squash soup, pork belly app. and scallops. French toast dessert was unfortunately dry. Dined early Monday nite, only one other couple there. Service was slow to deliver each dish, but food was worth the wait. The staff for clean up and water were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adorable and deliciousKristinaDined on 9/21/2014The decor inside and out is beautiful and whimsical, so many places to take pictures. Especially great for bridal and baby showers. Can't wait to bring my daughter and husband who are both crazy about cats. The food was incredible too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsmarkdimoDined on 9/20/2014Seated promptly. Dinner service was very good; informed server and just the right amount of personality. Food quality was outstanding; tasty, creative and great value. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Top shelf dininglockestepDined on 9/20/2014Elegant dining room sets the tone for the attentive service and outstanding cuisine. The wine list is extensive, but the real plus for me was the quality of the by-the-glass pours. We were dealing with mismatched entrees and ended up ordering a good quality Pinot and high quality white Burgundy. Both suited the food well. We are adding this to our regular rotation and hope to visit again for the fall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast satisfiesfoodtasterDined on 9/20/2014Saturday breakfast was very good - breakfasters were presented with a single small quickbread/muffin apiece, butter, and apricot spread, all delicious. I ordered two eggs ($3), which came cooked as ordered, and although an a la carte item, were filling. Eggs Benedict with spinach ($12) didn't disappoint. Coffee was OK, nothing exceptional here. (Etiquette instruction is needed for those clearing tables ... it should be done differently in a restaurant than at home.) Tap water sometimes tastes fine, other times like it should have been filtered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changes... not improvementsfoodtasterDined on 9/19/2014Came for a special anniversary dinner. Cream of Crab soup was delicious. Steak and rock fish entrees were fine, but nothing extraordinary - better can be had. Rockfish was cooked more than described (translucent in center) - other diners had asked to have it cooked more, so mine was served that way. Dessert, peach "ice cream" was icy and despite an abundance of fruit, not peachy in flavor. Later explained as being gelato. Not. Returned it and they took it off the bill. After dinner, we found their former chef left May, 2013. Rats. It had been our favorite special-occasion spot, but has fallen a notch. Gone were many of the game dishes and variety. Before, 5 stars all the way; now, 3.5 stars.Special Features:
- Simply spectacularFormerChescoCommishVIPDined on 9/16/2014Don't miss the crab bisque! It is velvety smooth with generous chucnks of sweet backfin crabmeat. Everything else is good too -- but the crab bisque is somethng truly special.Special Features:
- Krazy Kat's Not Really CrazysmallplateloverDined on 9/11/2014Don't let the name and "unusual" decor lead you astray. This is an elegant restaurant with upscale food. There are two prices on the menu -- for a small portion and a large portion. We found the small portions perfect for us, but many would find them too skimpy. If you take the small portion, it's not expensive, but the large portion doubles the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5QreviewDined on 9/11/2014There were five of us for lunch. This is a good place to go if you are at Winterthur. The atmosphere is whimsical and the food was quite good. However, the experience was diminished by very poor service. After waiting at least five minutes we were offered drinks. They came out slowly. Our lunch was even slower. Our waitress then disappeared and we never saw her again. We were never offered coffee or dessert. I finally asked a passing woman for a check, which was wrong. We were charged $8.00 for a tomato juice cocktail. I would give the restaurant another try and hope for better service next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Initially disappointed.TinkDined on 9/10/2014Ambiance, food, service all very appealing. We had chosen Krazy Kats because we thought it was included on the week long Brandywine Restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.