3510 Loop Rd
Tuscaloosa, AL 35404Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://killionrestaurants.com/kozys
- Phone: 2055564112x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Beau Burroughs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Tim Kiilion (205) 556-4112x
- Entertainment: Kozy's has a piano bar with live music provided on designated days.
A word from Kozy's Restaurant
Kozy's has been a Tuscaloosa landmark for nearly thirty years. Begun in 1986 by a University Of Alabama French Professor and his wife, Kozy's focused on bringing Tuscaloosa an experience it hadn't seen. The focus on unique dishes and an extensive selection of fine wines from around the world quickly set it apart. Framed pictures, many of them signed, of classic movie stars cover the walls. The fireplace in the front dining room provides a marvelous atmosphere. It is, as the name suggests, cozy and intimate. The food is new American with French influences. Along with the great wine selection, there is a large selection of beers. It is the ideal place in West Alabama for anniversary celebrations, birthdays, and other special occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kozy's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Tuscaloosa ›
Kozy's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)romantic (34)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (29)notable wine list (26)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great ExperienceBamaBandFanDined on 9/6/2014We had a great experience at Kozy's. We were in town to visit a friend's daughter who plays in the band and took her to dinner. We all had wonderful food and a great time. Service was great. Because it was parent weekend I had tried to get reservations at a couple of other restaurants and couldn't. Next time I'm in town I don't think I'll even bother with the other restaurants.Special Features:
- WonderfulBamaFoodieDined on 9/6/2014So glad they are back. Better than ever. Great meal. Will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You need to experience this!Rolltide32Dined on 9/2/2014If you haven't made it to this quaint little house off the beaten path, you really need to! They do a fantastic job here. From start to finish, from the service to the food, from the cocktails to the wine, it's all simply amazing. What a great place to have in Tuscaloosa, the new owners do a great job. Keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Had a wonderful dining experience on Tuesday. We started out with the carpaccio then moved on to the fish, red snapper, and the veal chop. All of it was delicious! And not to mention the service, it was wonderful. Great with recommendations and pairings. Very prompt and knowledgable. She never made us feel rushed but made sure everything was perfect. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificKtcpianoDined on 8/30/2014We had an amazing meal! Great service and beautifully prepared cocktails, appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Wine list is also quite nice. I can't recommend highly enough!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I've been going to Kozy's for over 10 years now. For me, it's one of those "special occasion" places that you know you're about to spend a car payment but the service and food have always been worth it. The food fell short this time. Appetizers were very tasty but small portions (ex. Fried green tomatoes (2 slices for $8, 6 mushrooms for $10). Salads were outstanding. Entrée (Ribeyes) beef was cooked to correct temp. but really lacked in flavor and cut. You shouldn't have a pile of gristle and fat left when eating a ribeye. Not sure what was with the cornbread stuffing underneath but it was fluff at best. Sorry folks but keep it simple, great ingredients prepared well in healthy portions makes people want to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing ServiceCuzzDined on 8/29/2014We were seated as soon as we got to the restaurant, Our drink and appetizer orders were promptly taken. The waitress was very nice, the appetizers were good.and then.nothing.No one came to take out dinner order. When our drinks were empty and we had finished our appetizers, the waitress came back to ask what we wanted for dinner. We declined, left and finished our dinner at Longhorns Steakhouse where our service was awesome. I hope we just caught them on a bad night. I use to love Kozy's for both their food and service. If the new owner doesn't do a better job on the service, I am afraid it will not make a come back. This is the only FINE DINING in Tuscaloosa but you expect the FINE DINING service to go along with the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu and food.TroutGuideDined on 8/23/2014The menu and food were very good. Lots of fresh and local items to choose from. The chef did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DishesposttheaterDined on 8/20/2014Menu items selected for the Restaurant Week special were delicious. Fresh, locally-sourced, and prepared perfectly. One of the best meals I have ever eaten. Each course was even better than the one before. You know it was good, when you're still thinking about it the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKTroyDined on 8/16/2014Took my wife to Kozy's hoping that we were finding another nice dining option in the Tuscaloosa area. My impression of the place was that it had a fairly neat ambience inside. The food that we both ate was unimpressive and I would describe it as being "what happens when a chef is trying to hard to put his/her twist on everything that comes out of the kitchen.
- A 40th To RememberFalstaffandFriendsDined on 8/16/2014When my sister and I were considering places that we could take our parents out to eat for their 40th wedding anniversary, a few places came to mind (kozy's among them). We had been to many of the places on our list but had never been to kozy's. Making a reservation was so easy and when we arrived the table we were seated at was perfect. The prices might have been a little steep on my sister's and my usual budget, but for a special occasion the prices were very reasonable. And, my god, the food made even the tiniest bit of trepidation fly out the window. The food was amazing. I can't think of the last time I had a better steak. The delicious food combined with the wonderfully chill ambiance and great service made for a night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in townRolltide32Dined on 8/12/2014I got the filet oscar last Tuesday night, hands down the best steak I have ever had. It was so tender and juicy, cooked perfectly. The service was great, paired our wine perfectly with our meals. The cocktails were creative and so tasty! Everything about this place is perfect! They management and owners and doing great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great innovative foodHschlesiVIPDined on 8/8/2014We get to Kozy's often and really love this 3rd iteration of the restaurant. The wine list, setting and the service are great, but I want to focus on the food. Beau is a fantastic chef to have here in Tuscaloosa. He can often be seen checking out the tables, to be sure everyone likes their food. What's not to like? While another reviewer bemoaned the changing menu, we take advantage of it. Two of our earlier favorites (duck two ways and flat iron steak) are gone, but we find new favorites. The quail is awesome as is the pork chop. The quail is cooked and spiced just right on a bed of some fantastic succotash. The pork chop is decked out with an innovative use of Chilton County peaches. Thanks Beau for the great job, as always!Special Features:
- DinnerWhiteHouse2Dined on 8/2/2014The menu was well planned and locally sourced, the server was available for every request and the vibe was low key and elegant. Even with a party of six we did not 'wait' for our food. This is my top recommendation for fine dinning in Tuscaloosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must placeBnLreviewVIPDined on 7/31/2014My wife and are so glad it is back in Tuscaloosa! You must experience it for dinner.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Enjoyed everything (food, service, decor, etc.) Not quick, but wasn't what we were looking for. We had an appetizer, main course, and dessert and all were great. The manager also noted that it was my wife's birthday from a note on my open table reservation and he came to the table to wish her a happy birthday. No doubt will be back and I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old Gem RevitalizedTuskaloosafoodieDined on 7/11/2014We were very pleased vith our recent visit back to Kozy's. This was an old favirite but is now under new managment/ownership. We wre very please to see the the charm and atmosphere was still there. The food however, Has received a much needed revilalization. I had the snapper special and it was fantastic, Fresh fish, fresh ingredients wounderful flavor without overpowering the fish. WE WILL BE BACK. And a big thankyou for removing the tree that was in the middle of the parking lot!Special Features:
- AmazingStephani6598Dined on 7/5/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we were both presently surprised. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is a true gem when you get inside. Everyone is so friendly and we really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secluded special occasionThetaTauRollTideDined on 6/21/2014I wanted to take my boyfriend somewhere special before he moved to Atlanta, so I brought him here. I must say that Kozy's is the paragon of more than meets the eye. An unembellished exterior gives way to a personal and tasteful interior where the music from the pianist fills the small restaurant with a warm mood. The food and wine are hands down the best in the city; this is one restaurant I can take someone and be confident that the evening will be perfect. Many thanks to the waiters and waitresses, who are both promptly attentive as well as appropriately composed. And many thanks to the restaurant which has returned true fine dining to a vibrant and historic city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will go backmh1158Dined on 6/21/2014Food was excellent, romantic. Waitress very good. Great desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again amazingRolltide32Dined on 6/13/2014I've been here several times now, and the summer menu is AMAZING. Scallops are back! And I love that they are using the local farms now. Absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightNumNum1882Dined on 6/7/2014We had a great time, our waitress was great, very accommodating and knowledgable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014The dinner I ate other night with my girlfriend, was one of the best meals I have had. We started out with the mushrooms then we both got the fresh fish, blackened Amber jack. We also had a wonderful bottle of Pinot Blanc. We will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best aroundRolltide32Dined on 5/28/2014I've been to Kozys several times and it has never failed me. From the cocktails to the entrees everything was absolutely wonderful. Great service with a romantic atmosphere. Definitely a must try in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014If you really want a treat, go to Kozy's! The ambience is superb and the food is truly outstanding! Cannot recommend it enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Kozy's Restaurant reviews archive.
- First Time Back Since Mgt ChangeTuskDinerDined on 5/17/2014This was our first visit back to Kozy's since the change in management. The service was great and friendly. Being on Open Table was a real plus and much better than the old format where you had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back. Wine list was improved. The dinner was high quality. The negative: the atmosphere. They had a piano player playing bad background music. It wasn't the performer, it was the playlist. Honestly, paying Pandora in the background would be more pleasant than a piano version of "Oh Susanna" during cocktails and dinner.Special Features:
- Fine Dining in TuscaloosaoutmwayDined on 5/14/2014We were pleased with our anniversary dinner at Kozy's. I had the stuffed mushrooms and filet mignon which were both excellent. My wife ha the soup of the day, mint/pea, which she enjoyed. she also had the rainbow trout which was way over-salted. She ate about half of it, but politely whispered about the saltiness to the waitress, who very graciously carried it back to the chef. The chef agreed that it was way too salty as well (evidently an intern had prepared the fish). He cooked another, which was perfect! All in all we were very pleased with our visit and will return for other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary a hitBruisereatsDined on 5/14/2014This was our third anniversary and we have spent them all at Kozy's. This was the first under the new owners. The food was delicious. Seasoned perfectly, cooked to right temperature and atmosphere was great. This establishment is an excellent place for a cozy, quite and romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this time around...TNnativeDined on 5/3/2014Kozy's is a favorite romantic, special occasion indulgence for my husband and me. He'd surprised me with reservations for my birthday last Saturday night, not realizing that it was the same day as the UA graduation ceremonies. As a result, our romantic evening was spent at a tiny table with large, loud groups less than two feet of us on either side and we couldn't hear each other well enough to carry on a conversation. Also, my favorite items weren't on the menu so I was disappointed with my meal, though the spinach salad was phenomenal. We'll probably come back because previous experiences have been great, but this one was a bust.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulkozysfanDined on 5/2/2014I ordered the chicken breast-best I've had!!! It was cooked perfectly. The restaurant is quaint and small, can get loud, but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed again.ilovegoodrestarauntsDined on 4/26/2014After going back to Kozy's, I was once again very impressed. The grouper was fantastic! The piano player made for great ambiance, and the bartender did a great job helping me find the right wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best filet Oscar everEnjoyfoodDined on 4/26/2014Perfectly cooked and seasoned filet Oscar. My wife had the snapper special and it was delicious. She raved about the fresh peas that came with it. Attention to detail and Conner, our server, was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodHschlesiVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were here on opening day for the 3rd generation Kozy's and it is consistently good. This was our 7th visit since then. Tim is a great host with a nice list of wines to offer. Beau does an excellent job with food preparation and presentation. In response to another reviewer, yes a few nice dishes are gone, but the new ones are also always worth a try. The flat iron steak is done wonderfully. The fish specialty (what my wife always gets) has been good so far - this time it was a nicely done fresh red snapper. It might be nice to add another fish alternative to the offerings for those who prefer fish. Our only "bad experience" was to see the 2 beautiful trees removed from the parking lot. Sad. Maybe plant a new tree or two in front?Special Features:
- Great Food!DaveDined on 4/25/2014Absolutely delicious. The Shrimp and Grits were the best I've ever had. The cocktail menu is very unusual and fun. Really enjoyed the piano player. That was a real treat you just can't find anymore. Delightful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't like the new menufoodieDined on 4/16/2014I love Kozy's but I was not impressed with the new menu. I really liked the filet mignon with broccoli rabe they had but it was gone. So I tried the braised lamb. It was just OK. And for $25 it needs to be excellent. Plus I loved the lamb chops they used to have. But it is also no longer on the menu. Also, the desserts have changed. So nothing I liked was on the new menu. I will not be returning until they get a better menu. Please bring back the filet mignon with broccoli rabe and the herb crusted lamb chops! They were delicious and worth the money.Special Features:
- Fantastic food. Glad theyWoodlandsDined on 4/11/2014Fantastic food. Glad they are back! Perfect place for a great outing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kozy's is a "WOW!"IgougoVIPDined on 4/11/2014First time to drive to this "off the beaten path" restaurant whose reputation is stellar. I will agree that it is one of the best the area has to offer and delectable!! Just loved it from cocktails to dessert! The halibut was divine and fresh tasting and we had limoncello and a shot of a "buttery nipple." These were chosen by our senior collegiates for the parents to experience and loved them both!! Great, special evening with fabulous food!Special Features:
- 1st time - will go backTHR1959Dined on 4/4/2014We were in town for our youngest son's honor's day at U of A (Roll Tide!) and wanted a nice dinner to cap off the celebration. Very good service and the food was nicely done. Lots of old movie star pictures on the wall take away from some of the charm but we enjoyed it and will return when back in Tuscaloosa. BTW the mushroom appetizer was excellent.Special Features:
- ExcellentKimmieDined on 3/22/2014six of us went to dinner really not knowing what to expect and we were pleasantly surprised ! The small quaint white house was so inviting! We entered to a piano player who was warm and inviting and immediately we felt Welcome ! We were pleasantly surprised by the attention we received immediately ordering cocktails and wine to Celebrate a Saturday evening out together ! We had a delicious cheese plate with our drinks followed by salads, bread and a very kind and helpful waitress. Our dinner of tuna, steak and fish were perfectly prepared and delicious! We will go again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & great servicejojoDined on 3/21/2014Food was really good and the service was fantastic. Very pleased with the experience.Special Features: