685 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kouzanny.com/
- Phone: 2122808099
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Yamada Tony
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is able to accommodate parties of 15 to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Arthur Shi 2122808099
A word from Kouzan
Kouzan, located on the Upper West Side, is a Japanese restaurant that prides itself on quality food and service. Opened in 2007, Kouzan offers both traditional and inventive Japanese cuisine in an inviting and warm atmosphere. We welcome you to stop by for lunch and dinner. We also offer take-out and delivery services.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kouzan reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)romantic (8)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Just Bad!KpmvVIPDined on 9/6/2014It looked good from the outside and the interior was pretty, but that was it.. Its really a Chinese restaurant, attempting to serve Japanese ..I asked for well done and received a piece of fish that was a soupy raw mess, I sent it back but returned the same way.. Just bad! The server told me it was because the fish is to thick! Thats odd? Didnt look thick to me! The attempt at steamed vegatables was hard, like raw! Dipped in hot water. I can continue but i'd rather forget my dining experience here.. Add to this one of the hottest days of the year, they had the air conditioning so uncomfortably low, eat this mess and sweat! Just bad!
- Good, Quick JapaneseUWSdadVIPDined on 9/5/2014We had a good meal at Kouzan - Edamame, Shumai, Chicken Terriyaki and Sushi. They were very friendly. The service was quick - almost too quick. Our only complaint was that it was really noisy.
- our standard japanese placeSaxmanVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is our go-to sushi restaurant in the neighborhood. Nice dining room,good service and excellent food quality. I always get seated next to some very loud old lady which is annoying. Only me, it won't happen to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A findCharlesDined on 7/5/2014A true neighborhood find that even transcends a "neighborhood restaurant". Sophisticated but subdued atmosphere, reasonable prices, creative rolls, very fresh fish, an extraordinarily wide selection of sakes and good service. What more could you ask of a restaurant, neighborhood or otherwise?Special Features:
- solid fresh JapaneseFoodfanVIPDined on 7/2/2014I find the food at Kouzan to be consistently good - the fish is fresh, the dumplings are delicate, the eggplant is made at just the right level of mushy. There is nothing spectacular or innovative - it is just plain good food. Never a disappointment - always satisfying.Special Features:
- The following 201 reviews are from the Kouzan reviews archive.
- liketoeatVIPDined on 5/19/2014Had a early dinner here before a show. The service was somewhat slow (the server explained that they had just started a new batch of oil to cook my wife's tempura), but the food was excellent. The roasted honey duck appetizer was fantastic. This is a great restaurant, and we will certainly eat here again when we are in the neighborhood.
- Solid SushiFoodfanVIPDined on 5/1/2014This is a fine neighborhood sushi destination...good, fresh fish...reasonably attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceAnthonyDined on 5/1/2014I went here with a new friend with the hopes of finding a quiet resturant so we can talk and enjoy. It was great on both counts. Perfect lunch spot.Special Features:
- L8DinerL8DinerVIPDined on 4/19/2014Made a reservation for 11:15 pm; 11:30 pm was also listed on the OpenTable site as available. Arrived @ Kouzan @ 11:10, were seated and were promptly told by server that we had to put in our order right away as the kitchen was closing in 3 minutes. When we ordered appetizers, we were told they would arrive with our main course because the kitchen was closing in 3 minutes. What would have happened if we took the 11:30 reservation? We've eaten here many times at this late hour because I get off of work late. In the past, we've had a nice, relaxing, unrushed dining experience. We skipped the appetizers and probably will not return to this restaurant.
- Reliable as alwaysBobreitanoDined on 4/19/2014Our go to sushi restaurant and on every level, food and drink, it is always first rate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service wrecks a great eveninguwsdinerVIPDined on 4/18/2014The restaurant is pretty,the food is quite good and the manager is charming once you get his attention. However our dinner experience was marred by indifferent and thoughtless service. While everything else can be great if the service is awful, the experience is awful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated and DeliciousLuv2EatOutDined on 3/25/2014Food was excellent. Might be the best sushi I ever had. Unique combinations. The reservation was at 5 but the place was empty. Looking for something before a 7 PM curtain. Train station from mid town was two blocks away. 6 train from Times Square. Great bar selection. Friendly server. Would definitely go again. Four drinks. Two appetizers. Four special rolls to share. One desert to share. Our total was 109.75. Very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a SmileMazikVIPDined on 3/21/2014Sushi was fresh and flavorful, precisely cut, as good as any I've had outside the places sushi-pilgrims worship. My wife's tempura was excellent. One of my companions had "the best vegetarian udon I've ever had." At this huge restaurant on a crowded Friday night, service was attentive and swift. It's not a special occasion place, though, decor is clean and pleasant but unremarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJoeFordsDined on 3/1/2014Had a great dinner with another couple. Food was excellent and served quickly by a friendly people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Enjoyed the pork dumplings and the sushi for 2 here. Unfortunately the service was terrible. After being hurried into a very cramped table not a foot from the tables on each side, our wine order was wrong. We had clearly pointed to and ordered a red wine off the wine special list, but were brought a white wine. When we notified our server, she adamantly defended herself and refused to admit to the miscommunication, saying she had somehow clarified that we wanted a white wine. We left feeling under-served and mistreated throughout the evening.
- Kouzan is a very solid sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/13/2014Kouzan is a very solid sushi restaurant on the UWS, providing consistently fresh and well prepared fish. I have been visiting and ordering delivery from Kouzan for 5+ years and have always been satisfied with the product and customer service. Additionally, the restaurant will supply gluten-free soy sauce, which is important for folks with gluten intolerance, and will cater to customer requests regarding substitutions and sushi/roll preparation. One of the better places for sushi on UWS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good fineFoodiegalorzDined on 2/9/2014Needed to fine a great place for a hot first date.. Wanted really good sushi and also the ambience was key.. Enjoyed it and agreed with other reviewers that the peanut roll was something special. We got the Sushi/Sashimi for two and was all fab.. Came with two great rolls!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemJohnDined on 1/24/2014We've been to Kouzan a few times. The staff is always very friendly and accommodating. The service is great, but not smothering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful sushiMickeyDined on 12/25/2013My husband ordered sushi delux and I had Chirashi sushi. The fish was fresh and very tasty. Miso soup which came with our dishes was also good. It was very satisfying dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese on Upper WestsideDoubleffsVIPDined on 12/9/2013Having just returned from a trip to Japan where we ate the best food, we are now leery of Japanese restaurants in general. We were going to Symphony Space and wanted to eat nearby and Kouzan presented itself. We loved it. Lovely people who are there to cook and serve, mostly young but very caring. Food was delicious. Had spicy scallop hand roll which was excellent, very fresh fist. Then we mostly ate cooked food, a tempura appetizer which was better than standard. My husband had soba noodles with seafood which was loaded with seafood. I had the best thing, broiled eel over rice in a laquer box. Not as great as the eel restaurant we ate in in Tokyo, but very, very, good. We'd go out of our way to go back.Special Features:
- You will feel very welcomeAnaBananaVIPDined on 11/26/2013I love the way I was treated by the restaurant associates. They are very professional and sweet – the price is good and the quality is great.Special Features:
- delicious!Courtlov1Dined on 11/15/2013The food was exquisite! I highly recommend this restaurant for an after work dinner or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very dependableGretaAMDined on 11/8/2013Enjoyed our meals. Wine just OK- tasted a touch stale, maybe? Sashimi was really fresh. Big thumbs up on the seaweed salad. Will go again.Special Features:
- Great food. Large menu withmitchelkaplnDined on 10/5/2013Great food. Large menu with many many choices and a large bar selection. great service. Great food. Upper West Side Japanese Gem!Special Features:
- We made a reservation forL8DinerVIPDined on 10/4/2013We made a reservation for 1115 pm, and when we arrived @ 1110, we were told we had to hurry up and order our food as the kitchen was getting ready to close. It appeared that the wait staff was in a hurry to go home as we were the only diners left in the restaurant. We have dined here on several occasions. This was the first time we felt rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- best miso eggplant!diverVIPDined on 9/28/2013The room is crisp and bright. What can I say but that I am a sucker for a waterfall window! The food was excellent, but most especially the miso eggplant. Also we had a wheat intolerant guest and they had gluten free soy sauce.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my neighborhood favoriteskaypurVIPDined on 9/26/2013Kouzan has innovative yet traditional Japanese fare and is always the place that we love to go when we want to actually have a conversation. Which means we end up here quite often. A common misconception is that the Upper West Side has no good restaurants. This could not be farther from true. Kouzan is one of the most pleasant dining experiences in the CIty. The owner has made this restaurant always welcoming and consistently good.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceCarolamyDined on 9/16/2013My friend and I were looking for a new sushi place in the neighborhood and decided on Kouzan. We both had the sashimi dinner. The fish was very fresh and portion size was good for the price. Our server was very efficient and pleasant. It's not a place where you say 'oh my g-d I have to go back there again to try xyz', but it was a good alternative for sushi in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Sushi Restauranterika2642VIPDined on 9/10/2013The ambiance in the restaurant is definitely its best quality. By virtue of how many people were there, I assumed it would be amazing sushi. I am a bit of a sushi snob, and definitely like my quality fish. I was underwhelmed.. found myself choking down some of the sushi/sashimi platter. Won't be returning..
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2013We always go to Kouzan to celebrate birthdays. It is spacious and beautiful. The service is absolutely friendly and helpful and the sushi is fresh and delicious. It is a wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Sushi Loversreno570VIPDined on 8/15/2013Great really fresh sushi, interesting menu of cold and hot saki.
- Reservation IssueHilNYCVIPDined on 8/10/2013If you're going to allow open table reservations at 11:15PM, don't tell us when we show up that we only have 15 minutes until the kitchen and restaurant officially closes. We were instructed by our server when we actually entered the restaurant that we need to place our order all at once in order to be served. Here's a better idea: cut off your reservations earlier so your patrons aren't rushed, or be happy you have business coming in later and make your diners experiences pleasant. Also didn't appreciate that bar patrons coming in after us who knew the staff received no issues about ordering. We normally like this restaurant but this left a bad taste in our mouth. No pun intended.Special Features:
- Good quality but poor locationanonymousDined on 7/27/2013We went for lunch on a saturday afternoon with a group of 8. We chose the place because it could accommodate our group without a wait and is close to central park where we were taking a walk in the morning. We got reasonable food and service. The location of the restaurant is not so good though -- it is across from a subsidized housing project and we saw various creepy types on the street looking at us through the windows.Special Features:
- Solid solid solid. The UWSNicknamesarestupidVIPDined on 6/20/2013Solid solid solid. The UWS is chock full of tons of good restaurants. It has very few great restaurants. This one is very, very good. What I really appreciated was that they let us turn the sushi for two into a sushi for three dinner and had the flexibility to work with us. My two roommates and I left well satisfied. Go there and be happy.Special Features:
- Neighborhood finddancingfoodieVIPDined on 6/3/2013This neighborhood has lots of restaurants, many of which are good but not exceptional, or very noisy. Kouzan is a delightful find and especially good if going to Symphony Space. Ambiance is lovely, staff attentive and helpful and the food is outstanding: both the sushi and the cooked meals. We also appreciated that the noise level was low so that we could visit and catch up without having to shout. This is a place my friend and I will return to, both together and with others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & food were very good.L8DinerVIPDined on 5/31/2013Service & food were very good. Noise level became progressively louder during our visit to the point where we were shouting at each other. We asked to have the music volume lowered and were told by our waiter that the manager did not want to do so. When we told our waiter we were leaving without dessert and coffee, the music magically was lowered. As much as we enjoyed the food and service, we will not return to this restaurant.
- Yummy interesting menu -- all good!ArleyVIPDined on 5/18/2013A wonderful dinner and be sure to visit the bathrooms.....so Zen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...monojoVIPDined on 4/13/2013I was very disappointed with our experience of dinner at Kouzan. Despite having a reservation, we waited at least 15 minutes, which was made uncomfortable by the fact that there is no place to wait; we felt in the way of traffic flow and diners. The host was very apologetic, and I was expecting the food to be good, since it was crowded and most reviews had been positive. However, I found the mini wasabi shumai to be unexceptional and even slightly off-tasting; the chirashi was crowded into such a small bowl, it was impossible to discern the various fish amidst the pickled vegetables and shredded daikon, which was overwhelming. My dining companions were also underwhelmed.
- Sushi UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/9/2013I went there with a friend last night. Good sushi. The only problem was that we were in a room that was freezing! We asked them to turn down the air, which they did. But it came on again. We asked them to turn it off again and it took forever for them to do it. I am sure this was just due to a language barrier with the person I asked. I would recommend the restaurant as the sushi was yummy.Special Features:
- Great local sushi.JaneVIPDined on 4/2/2013This was my first time at Kouzan. The food was very good. I was very happy with everything, including the gyoza, the edamame, the sushi rolls, and even the salad, which was fresh and delicious. The crunchy tuna roll had no crunch, but when I mentioned it they brought me a big pile of tempura flakes, so that solved the problem. (Would have been bummed if it had been a delivery, but now I know that if I order it for delivery I have to order it "extra crunchy.") The service was good, and the room was nice. I'd recommend it.Special Features: