Kous Kous Moroccan Bistro
3940 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: $30 and under
Kous Kous Moroccan Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kouskousrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192955560
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Everyday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Moumen Nouri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private dining room seats up to 50 guests. Buyouts available for up to 90 guests. Entertainment/Belly dancers available during buyouts only. A variety of set and/or limited menus available to choose from.
- Private Party Contact: Moumen Nouri 6192955560
- Entertainment: Entertainment/Belly dancer availble during buyouts.
- Special Events: Kous kous is available for: Business meetings Social events Rehearsal dinners Special occasions Wedding receptions
- Cross Street: University
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A private parking lot is located at 3930 4th Ave, at street level of a 3 story office building adjacent to Kous Kous.
2 other private parkings located 1/2 block from Kous Kous on each side of 4Th street.
Street parking is free after 6pm.
A word from Kous Kous Moroccan Bistro
SAN DIEGO MAGAZINE CRITIC'S CHOICE AWARD (David Nelson).LIVING IN STYLE MAGAZINE TOP FIVE NEIGHBORHOOD RESTAURANTS (Frank Sabatini)."Ideal neighborhood restaurant" Naomi Wise(SAN DIEGO READER). At Kous Kous both the cuisine and the atmosphere are sexy and exotic, and the staff is wonderfully unpretentious. You find a spacious Bistro style room with a small lounge. Hanging Moroccan lanterns cast lacy shadows like butterfly-wing patterns onto the ceiling, and world music plays softly in the background. The food is delicious, authentic and healthful. Chef/owner Moumen Nouri cooks up a selection of foolproof meats,seafood,vegetarian Tagines, brochettes. A wonderful list of spices and herbs infused Moroccan Tapas compliment the menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Kous Kous Moroccan Bistro - Best Restaurants in Hillcrest ›
Kous Kous Moroccan Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)romantic (39)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (22)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great celebrationSDSeadogDined on 9/19/2014We took a party of 8 for my husband's birthday celebration. Ordered the Moroccan Feast II. Great choice! Lots of really good food but nothing was ever too much. Damian was an awesome host and made everything so easy. Be sure to order the sofa seating for a more relaxed experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal with too loud musicIBmama2reviewsDined on 9/13/2014We cannot in any way fault the food, our waitress or the visual aspects of the restaurant. We had Sea Bass Tangine and the Berber Lamb Shank with an eggplant appetizer: all wonderfully spiced and completely delicious. Loved the films playing on the screen, which only added to the mood. However the noise level from music was awful. You told us after the fact that we should have moved away from the speakers, but we were early diners and could have been moved as we informed our waitress and the staff immediately that noise level excessive. If the noise wasn't so offensive, might have been funny: Waitress informs staffer, music turned down; then another staffer comes & turns it up. A huge negative to what would have been a 5 star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Moroccan FoodTWMReviewsDined on 9/4/2014I'm no connoisseur of middle eastern food, but Kous Kous was a great introduction to Moroccan menus. The appetizers were excellent, especially their sampler. We all had Tangines (both lamb selections - Berber and Fassi) with all licking their lips and delighting in the succulence of the sauces and vegetables served with the lamb. Good bar service, waiters friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightsmw519Dined on 8/30/2014Such a cute little place. Romantic atmosphere, great food, and good service. Definitely will go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Waitress with attitude, food was bland and did not meet expectations.
- coolGrandmaDined on 8/20/2014Having recently returned from a trip to Morocco where my husband and I fell in love with the country, the people and the food we were delighted to find a real Moroccan restaurant right here at home. The tagines were perfect, the Moroccan bread superb and the service was attentive. We were celebrating my husband's birthday with family including a cranky 22 month old grandson and the staff was most tolerant. This will definitely be one of out "go to" places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Came in very close to closing time. Our waiter was extremly friendly, very knowledgeable about the menu. Since we were visiting San Diego for the first time, he even recommended other bars and restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Wonderful MoroccanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Kous Kous, after two visits, has not yet failed. we had Moroccan Feast 2 which included wonderful starters, a lamb shank and delicious chicken. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapassortoffoodieDined on 8/12/2014Since it was Tapas Tuesday, we ordered everything on the Tapas menu. Everything was really good, especially the lamb chops - and I don't like lamb! Next time, I plan to order them in duplicate, or a main course. We'll be back.
- We were hoping for more.DisappointingDined on 8/10/2014The experience was a little disappointing. I'm very familiar with Moroccan food and found the food at Kous Kous lacking in flavor. Actually, to be more precise, the flavor was off. It simply was not well spiced. Also, the rice that was served with the Tagine was not authentic Moroccan. It should have been served with Cous Cous, but if not, then rice cooked the Middle Eastern way. Also, the beer selection was limited and there was nothing on it we liked. On the plus side, the server was good and the restaurant had a nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- warrentheapeDined on 8/10/2014The food tasted quite good and the service was great. My only reservation was the price was kind of high. We got the 2nd Moraccan Feast, which is a pre-set multi-course meal. For $40 a person, I would have expected more variety and even higher quality of food. But overall I was satisfied.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Good service and food was great. Specially tanginesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!LolaDined on 8/5/2014A must if you are a visitor, as we were. Perfect from when we first walked down the steps!Special Features:
- This place needs an upgradeKen12345Dined on 7/30/2014My wife and I had dinner at Kous Kous based on positive reviews from Open Table and I would never recommend it to anyone. The place was old and run down and the food was fair at best. The Tapas that our waiter recommended were fair and bland. Our waiter was friendly though. Our table was rocking badly so I had to crawl under and put a napkin under one of the legs to stabilize. This was the second table we sat at so I didn't want to ask to be moved again. We usually eat at home so when we do dine out I expect it to be a treat. Perhaps I'm a little spoiled from eating fresh meals made from scratch at home.Special Features:
- Awesome ServiceSultanDined on 7/26/2014The only reason why I gave Kous Kous 3 stars on food is because of the lack of vegetarian options. That being said, I can't expect a Moroccan restaurant to suddenly invent vegetarian Moroccan food (but if there are more options, I would be very appreciative :) ). Nonetheless, I thought the restaurant was wonderful. The ambience, the service, and the culture the restaurant exudes is high quality.Special Features:
- Oustanding!JojoDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I went here for the first time on our anniversary. Everything from the moment we were greeted until we left was out of this world. We had the B'stila roll, Zaalouk and Moroccan Sliders from the tapas menu which were all incredible and we shared the Fassi Lamb Shank Tagine...again, incredible! The portion sizes were perfect for sharing and we even got some of their house made "hot sauce" to go! Can't wait to go back and try more of this amazing cuisine!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Nice food at the restaurants. Was impressed by all the appetizers. Main course is fine.Special Features:
- Worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014My wife selected this restaurant for her birthday dinner and we invited another couple. The service was excellent from the time we entered until the time we left. I connot remember our waiter's name, but I think he also the bar manager. Anyway, he is so knowledgeable about the dishes that we ordered and enjoyed the dishes we expected based on his descriptions of the dishes. Our only surprise was there were not more people there at the time we dined.Special Features:
- A Moorish ConquestCBNorthparkDined on 7/11/2014A friend and I who had recently returned from Morocco had the luck to dine at KousKous. The décor is cosy and intimate without being too overwrought, although the booth tables do not have much room for long legs underneath. The owner made it a point to welcome us and talk about our experiences in Morocco and our server was extremely attentive even during a busy night, allowing us to taste some wine before we made a choice. But the best thing about KousKous has to be the food. The layers of flavor, so typical of Moroccan food were evident in many of the dishes but truly sang in the tagines. The Moroccan Feast options have to be the best way to try this genre of food. I would recommend KousKous for a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SonyaDined on 7/10/2014Love KousKous!!! Wonderful Moroccan cuisine!!! Great service!!!Special Features:
- A great kous kousEllieDined on 7/8/2014It was excellent and the tagines are wonderful. The service was excellent and they will make you think you are in Morrocco.Special Features:
- Superb!LoveDined on 7/5/2014This was our first time @ Kous-Kous, and we thoroughly enjoyed it! Highly recommend it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moroccan in name onlyKovaigirlDined on 6/28/2014Quite disappointed with the blandness of the food. The lamb tagine was a mostly fat cut of meat. The kofta kebab instead of being moist and flavorful was a hard dry meatball. Will not be going back ever. The Moroccan restaurant in La Jolla is 100 times better.
- Tasty food, beautiful atmospherecoipticDined on 6/23/2014Come for the Meatless Monday special (25% off vegetarian dishes, entire table has to order vegetarian) and enjoy the smoky eggplant dip, housemade hummus, and tender root vegetable tagines.Special Features:
- Great last minute findKPBAndresDined on 6/13/2014While in SD my girlfriend and I were looking for a nice and romantic place to celebrate our 6 years together. This place was exactly that and without the overly romantic things like small plates, violins, and other cheesy things like that. Also, the food was great, and as a first time to Moroccan food this was a great debut. Also our server was the best. He was an older gentleman with glasses and was bald, and if you don't know who he is if you ask him he will tell you he speaks 5-7 languages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo GoodlovefoodDined on 6/13/2014I will recommend this restaurant to all my friends. Super delicious, friendly staff and great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Decent Food..decent ambiencers17Dined on 6/7/2014The food here is delicious. It does take about 30 mins for the main entrees to come, as they are slow cooked and prepared in earthen cookware. The kababs are delicious..very flavorful and tender. The ambiance is decent.Special Features:
- Amazing as always - my fave in SDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014This is by far my favorite spot in San Diego..and I eat! I've been coming here for the last 8 years since it opened and everytime is just as good (if not better!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Made a last last minute Saturday night reservation for a large group. Very accommodating, excellent ambiance, excellent food, excellent service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was greatdaemonlinkDined on 5/31/2014Well my gf and I went here on our anniversary and we loved it! The food was amazing as well as the environment. May be a bit on the pricier side but definitely worth it. Not too much appetizer selection but a great price for how much it costs. I am definitely going to visit this restaurant again another time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellence at its bestnilsDined on 5/30/2014Excellent and delicious food, courteous service, great ambience and I works go here everyday if I was local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service!veggiedinerDined on 5/30/2014Tried this spot on a recent visit in the San Diego area - 4 of us really enjoyed our food, very flavorful, and the service was warm and friendly. Especially great for vegetarians. They play old black and white movies while you are dining, which is kind of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 712 reviews are from the Kous Kous Moroccan Bistro reviews archive.
- Great food fun spotJvgggDined on 5/17/2014This is a local gem really god food great presentation lots of flavor and moderate priced. Second time there and food is consistent rich in flavor and great wait staff. Not a late night place so make it before 9 to be safe. Small cozy place but can still accommodate larger party'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My FavoriteFireandRainDined on 5/13/2014I love this place. Always the perfect ambience, quiet and great food and service. While I usually try the chicken tagine I switched to the sea bass tagine and my date had the lamb tagine...both great! What a wonderful Moroccan experience.Special Features:
- couldn't have had a better.goodfood4meDined on 5/11/2014I had an amazing time at Kous Kous. The service was impeccable and the food was delectable. I had never been to a moraccan restaurant before and the waiter was able to suggest the perfect meal for our group. Also, if you are in the mood for a sparkling drink like I was then I would definitely recommend the Moroccan Kiss. It was amazing just like everything else. This place made my top 3 favorite restaurants in San Diego list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceIeatout2Dined on 5/11/2014This is the third time I have eaten at Kous Kous. Each experience has been wonderful. In this case I took my sister, visiting from Anchorage, AK. She was blown away (Feast #2). And the wait staff, was unparalleled. I did not get the waitresses' name, but she was informative, attentive without being overbearing, and had a sense of humor. A+!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMamakDined on 5/10/2014Very comfortable, food was great, service was fast, waitress was great, decor inside very cosy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tagines were tastyPokadotsonDined on 5/10/2014We dined with friends and we each ordered a different tagine dish. They were all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with good ambianceyoyoDined on 5/9/2014Had a reservation for a Friday evening, but the place wasn't much crowded, which was surprising considering the yelp reviews and the fact that this is a great place. The food was amazing (slow-cooked tangines were delicious - had a lot of spices and flavor). And so was the ambiance. Their low-level seating is different; comfortable for some, may not be so for others.Special Features:
- Food and Service GreatkimbroganDined on 5/8/2014Our server, Joey, was delightful and very attentive. Three of the four of us tried to order the Moroccan Feast, but they would not allow us to order it unless the fourth person in our group ordered it too. That was a big disappointment so I deducted a star off. I believe that if we had been a table of two we would have received the meal, so why is it a problem that one customer out of four didn't want to order it? Nonetheless, my ground beef stuffed bell pepper was delicious. The sauce is good although it was slightly salty (my friend had the same dish and agreed. My husband had the beef tangine and it was by far the best, the beef being tender and the sauce perfect.Special Features: