Koto Sushi Lounge
103, 435 4th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3A8Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Koto Sushi Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 4034572898
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Koto Lounge is proud to announce the launch of our Catering Service. Hosting a party or event? We cater to homes, businesses and other venues. Contact Miwa at 403-457-2898 for details.
- Private Party Contact: Miwa Tanaka / Tim Huang 4034572898
A word from Koto Sushi Lounge
Welcome to Koto Sushi Lounge, a new Calgary favourite for fans of exceptional sushi and Japanese cuisine. Enjoy the contemporary ambiance and meticulous service of Koto Sushi and discover a menu filled with traditional selections and inspired creations, made from the finest ingredients available. Choose from an amazing variety of sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, and tempura all expertly prepared and beautifully presented. Serving downtown Calgary, Koto Sushi Lounge is just minutes from the best the city has to offer and makes a perfect destination for a quick meal with friends or a memorable evening with someone special. Satisfy the craving for great sushi at Koto Sushi Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Koto Sushi Lounge - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Koto Sushi Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (21)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (12)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (4)romantic (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Reservationsd8tenightDined on 10/1/2014I called and confirmed on line my reservation two days in advance requesting a booth in front. When I arrived, they never acknowledged my written request and on the phone request. Instead they said booths are for VIP only. I was greatly disappointed that they would say that. Who is VIP in a public restaurant where booths are clearly empty up front at 11:30am? I looked around, didn't seem like VIP people were sitting there. Really? Nonetheless, I and my party got seated in a booth, but the service and attention was extremely slow, and the server forgetful. She never brought our tea. We had to get up and get our own cup. Very unprofessional for VIP seating, if you ask me!I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OK.DoggieDined on 9/30/2014The service this time was a bit slower. Had to wait and stand there at the front for like 10 minutes in order to get seated by the waitress. Service overall was a bit slower in this visit. Food was still quite good. However, the music was not enjoyable. Too much beat in the music and a bit loud making it distracting for the kids and for talking.Special Features:
- Great place for lunchSereniteaDined on 9/16/2014Hopping place for lunch. Good food, decent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.AOtto8Dined on 9/12/2014Good food and service. I have gone multiple times for business lunches and will keep going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just average but expensiveLuv2dine2Dined on 9/11/2014Food is nothing special. Took us 30 mins to be seated and for the waitress to get our order but the restaurant is only 1/3 full. The service is slow. Will not go back.
- Alright if you have a GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014The quality and portion size largely decreased after Group-on coupons. The food use to be better. If you didn't purchase a coupon, it's not worth paying full price for the food. With the coupon, I would say it's average. But not the high end food I'm looking for.
- Fresh ChoicesRouxDined on 7/24/2014The sushi and sushimi was very fresh. Also recommend the Beef Tataki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for sushiTownieDined on 7/23/2014Delicious sushi with some different options on the menu. I always look forward to going to Koto!Special Features:
- I don't think i come back againAwesomeVIPDined on 7/4/2014The rice used for the rolls were sticky and weird tasting and too big. I didn't think the food quality reflected the price. Worst I've eaten in a long timef or japanese. Sorry for the negative feedback but I'm considered a foodie and eat out a lot and Japanese is my fav.
- GlowDined on 7/4/2014My co-worker and I came in for lunch on a Friday, It was pretty quiet in there but it was probably due to the stampede parade. The food was good, we got 2 rolls a few pieces of sushi and tempura. The rolls were great, I recommend the wasabi prawn roll. The tempura was not bad, a very good portion but over battered to my liking. The service was great, we were greeted, seated and served quickly and the waitress came by a few times to check up on us. All and all a very good experience.Special Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the Koto Sushi Lounge reviews archive.
- 1st visit to KotoFoodie1981Dined on 6/19/2014We were staying at the Westin and Koto is located diagonally across from our hotel. With only 2 people working at the sushi bar, our orders came out very quickly. We ordered several maki rolls, assorted Tempura and sashimi. The batter for the Tempura was a little thick but the order came out hot and fresh and not greasy at all. The sashimi was fresh and the spider maki was nicely prepared.Special Features:
- Great sushifivefingers68VIPDined on 6/11/2014This is a great place for lunch or dinner. Fresh sushi, nice environment.Special Features:
- Don't bother.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/23/2014Terrible service. We were a big group so the tip was included which I am sure was the reason we had bad service.
- Luch on weekday with friendMoMoDined on 5/22/2014Nice sushi place by my workplace. It's convenience and good place to catch up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Koto LunchHotspotsYYCDined on 5/15/2014Fantastic for lunch meeting, quick, excellent high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi rice under cookedHenryDined on 5/9/2014The rice used for suchi is undercooked tonight. I told the server about it but no attempts were made to make things right. This is the 5th or 6th groupon coupon for this resturant that we bought. We do not recommend the tempora, the batter is too thick and very greasy.Special Features:
- Decent sushi restaurant in DTSushiUnagiDined on 5/9/2014One of the decent sushi restaurants in the heart of the city. Food is great and have a decent selection. The choice of sake is quite vast which makes it seem quote authentic. The service is to be desired though - it seems the waitresses are all quite confused what they were hired to do... Good thing it is sushi (served cold) as a lot of the plates prepared by the chef are sitting on the counter about 10 feet from us. They usually sit there for 10-15 minutes until someone decides to serve them. Or in our case we had to ask the waitress whether our sashimi was ready yet - then she would look and bring us our plate of sashimi...but wouldn't serve the other dishes to the other tables. Puzzles me! I think there is a lack of coordination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensive!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/6/2014The food was vary good but overpriced. We had a glass of wine each, and shared a small amount of Sashimi (8 pieces) 1 roll and the bill was $75.
- Snowy may inchNeverhangryDined on 5/2/2014Great for lunch on a cold and snowy May Day. Sushi was delicious, specialty roll too. Dynamite roll was a bit too crispy. Overall excellent for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HelloDined on 4/23/2014Prices are on the higher end but worth it! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Lunch vs. Dinner Huge VariationThamThamDined on 4/22/2014I have been here before for lunch and it was fantastic, therefore I came back for dinner with a few Groupons. Everything was great until I arrived 5 minutes before my reservation where I was asked 3 times where my Groupons were before I even sat down. The dining room had about 60 customers and 15 tables with 4 servers. The food came out at a good pace for the first 30 minutes and then it went down hill from there with dishes coming out every 15 minutes. At the end of the night, dinner ended up being 2 to 2.5 hours long and we were one of the last 5 tables. At one point the chefs were making the food faster then they were being brought to the tables. Found out later the staff smoke breaks caused the delays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunch or dinnerfivefingers68VIPDined on 4/15/2014We love going to Koto, sushi are always fresh, service is usually very fast, and the staff are friendly and professionalSpecial Features:
- GoodVassyDined on 3/20/2014I have enjoyed the place every time I go. Good service and friendly staff. Good sushi selection and other options on the menu as well.Special Features:
- Great deal and Decent Sushi!mtritzDined on 3/13/2014Purchased the groupon and thoroughly enjoyed their delicious sushi at a great price. The spicy edamame are delicious and the sashimi was very good. Service was good and the atmosphere was good too. I would go back after work for an early dinner as it's not too busy like a lunchtimes and they can pay attention to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremly noise around 12:00OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2014Extremly noise around 12:00 pm. I would not recoomedn this restuarant for client meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty sushihmakDined on 3/10/2014It was very busy yet the service was still excellent and the food tasty and quick. All you can ask for for a downtown business lunch,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Koto Night OutRouxDined on 3/7/2014We enjoyed a great Koto feast while celebrating a family birthday on a busy and energetic Friday night. Sushi & sashimi were fresh and very tasty. The Beef Tataki was a great choice. Saved on cost with Groupon purchase making it all more affordable.Special Features:
- Great location, great foodfivefingers68VIPDined on 2/27/2014Love going to Koto, fast service, fresh sushi & sashimi, friendly waiting staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reserve was not readyDavidDined on 2/27/2014This is for both, OpenTable and Koto. There is nothing more annoying than making a reservation online and not being in the list as soon as you arrive. I forgot my smart phone that day and had no chance to prove that I mad a reservation days before. The front desk girl just have a hand writing list with her and no chance to check anything through a computer. I ended up eating at the bar with my friend. Awful experience.Special Features:
- Great place-convenient locationfivefingers68VIPDined on 2/19/2014We have been to this place for lunch or dinner, the food is always fresh, service is fast and waiters are very friendly and efficient. Sushi is lovely, very fresh and nice taste, lots of choices. My all time favorite is a rainbow roll!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Fast Service - Great SashimiJamesDined on 2/8/2014We attended on a Saturday evening after making reservations at 4pm for a 5:30 seating. The restaurant wasn't crowded and the ambiance was trendy without being clubby. The staff weren't super-knowledgable, but weren't clueless either. We asked for suggestions (we eat a lot of sushi) and didn't get any interesting advice. We ordered two glasses of their house white wine, two rolls and their Korean Flavoured Sashimi (Tuna). Bill w/tip came to ~$60. The sashimi was excellent, the rolls were ok and the wine was a decent house wine. The service was ridiculously fast. We put in our order and the food was at the table in minutes. We got the whole meal done, paid for and out the door in ~20 minutes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good, like their rollsHelloDined on 2/7/2014Good food, especially the rolls. Thanks for giving us sample rolls to try out. The calamari was a bit disappointing. Quite an expensive lunch (~$30) if you want to be full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usual! We dineChrissyDined on 2/6/2014Awesome as usual! We dine here often and never had a bad experience here ever.Special Features:
- Loved It!ThamThamDined on 1/28/2014My first time here for lunch with a friend. Booked a table at 11:30 am on a Tuesday and there was already a line up to get into the restaurant at 11:20 am. The food was well presented and the fish was fresh with good size portions. My friend and I had 2 salmon miso soups, 10 pieces of a la carte sashimi (5 pieces each), 3 maki rolls and 1 specialty roll and had a hard time finishing. The prices were reasonable given the portion size and freshness of the sashimi. There was a private room to the left hand side for larger groups which I thought was awesome. Overall, great food, good ambience, reasonably priced, and good service. I would definitely go back again and recommend this location to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level too high in the backJakeDined on 1/23/2014As always the food was fantastic. Been here 3 times before. It's a little pricy, but worth it. The service however was not good at all this time. Seems as though we had to remind her of everything we ordered, and food took forever to arrive. Tea was cold, and when we asked for fresh stuff, it took forever to arrive and it was cold too. We also got stuck way at the back around the corner where the kitchen was and the noise level was so bad I couldn't even hear my guest in front of me. I think it's because of being stuck in a little cubby hole that the noise had nowhere to go. I don't remember this happening when I have sat out in the main area. It's good that I have been here before and had good experiences.Special Features:
- Good FoodDTSalesDined on 1/23/2014Food was very good. Waitress very attentive. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty foodVenus1973Dined on 1/13/2014Very good rolls and sashimi. We arrived to find a free sample roll - delicious! The price was quite good for the quality and amount we received, even for Calgary! I'll be taking clients there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceMonicaVIPDined on 11/26/2013Nice little restaurant. Decent sushi rolls and service. Good location. Great for business lunch.Special Features:
- Yummy sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/25/2013I just love the sushi here. It is not inexpensive, but you need less than you think as the rolls (especially the specialty ones) are big. I love that you get a little sampler of the daily special to start.Special Features:
- One of my favorite sushi barHenryDined on 11/25/2013Food is good. Portion generous. Quality consistent every time.Special Features: