Koto Japanese Steakhouse - VT
792 Shelburne Road
South Burlington, VT 05403Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Koto Japanese Steakhouse - VT
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kotovt.com/
- Phone: (802) 660-8976
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:30pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 2:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two party rooms. Each room holds from 32-38 people. In each room are four hibachi grill tables. There is no room charge for the space.
Whether we can offer the entire room or not depends on the day and size of the party.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 8026608976x
A word from Koto Japanese Steakhouse - VT
We are Vermont's premier Japanese restaurant, serving our guests since 1999. Come enjoy our Japanese ambiance with a pond full of koi fish and running water --always a hit with kids. We have plenty of free parking and a full bar stocked with fine wines, beers, and a variety of liquor. We look forward to serving you and your family in the near future. We have four options of dining in our establishment. Hibachi, dining room, tatami and sushi bar. Please specify the type of dining experience you'd prefer under special notes. For weekends and holiday please inquire within to confirm your reservation. Thank you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Koto Japanese Steakhouse - VT reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (13)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (8)fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Always excellent!KotoDined on 11/21/2014were never disappointed when we dine at Koto. Food is fabulous, and portions are generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday partymomof3Dined on 11/16/2014We had a party of 13..3 birthdays were to be celebrated. .only 2 were. The waitress struggled with our orders and keeping things straight, the food was EXCELLENT as always and entertainment was good. The problem we had was cost/bill was more than menu stated and it said gratuity was added in, we paid the bill and waitress chased us down in parking lot asking for tip. Not sure why menu states its added in if she says it wasnt. We go at least 5 times a year for our birthdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a show!WestcoastNewYorkerDined on 11/8/2014My son and I were visiting from out of town, and he was hoping for sushi. This place was nearby, with a wide variety of menu options. We had to wait only a few minutes for our table, but were entertained by the hibachi chefs while we waited. Excellent service, but both the hot and cold dishes arrived lukewarm; the sushi wasn't chilled, and the tempura wasn't hot, but the flavors were fresh.Special Features:
- ExcellentSteffVialDined on 10/12/2014We were at Burlington for the weekend and we would like to go to a restaurant outside downtown.....We found it through TripAdvisor. It was perfect !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in VT!!Bushey83Dined on 10/4/2014I had never been to Koto before last night, and I do believe I have found one of my new favorite restaurants!! Both the Waiter, and hibachi chef were terrific, and the food was delicious!!!! Everyone loved the cooking "show", especially my kids!! Will definatly be going back.... Hopefully very soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent PlaceGujuunitDined on 9/19/2014The food was good, the ambiance was nice, the service very good, and it was't too noisy. There were 5 of us and 4 out of 5 of us got hibachi while the last person just got sushi. The server still brought out a soup and salad for her so she wouldn't feel left out.Special Features:
- too saltyvingDined on 9/13/2014the hibachi cooker put too much salt on the food and overcooked the chickenSpecial Features:
- Salt!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/18/2014We know that this type of food requires soy sauce, but our hibachi chef was extra heavy with it and some of the food was nearly in edible.
- Bon restaurantholinoneVIPDined on 8/12/2014Nous avons dîné dans ce restaurant avec nos 4 enfants. Nous avons choisi le teppanyaki. Nous avons bien mangé, avec des quantités très importantes. Le service était excellent. Une bonne soirée!Special Features:
- The following 165 reviews are from the Koto Japanese Steakhouse - VT reviews archive.
- ExcellentMarkoDined on 7/9/2014No complaints! Hibachi preparation is entertaining, especially for kids. Food well prepared and tasty. It was very busy in the restaurant and chefs were overtaxed. Slow down and enhance the experience.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant !RondyDined on 6/21/2014We made reservations for 6:60pm and from the time we were greeted and seated we were tended to by very friendly staff. We sat at the Hibachi Table and Wow what a show the cook put on for us. And the food was amazing. We had the steak and salmon with noodles and I'm telling you it was heavenly. Not my first time here, I am a regular. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodnumbDined on 5/27/2014Food was very good as always - prepared Hibachi style. Open Table does not provide for choosing Hibachi style or regular dining during the reservation process, so the restaurant doe not know your preference until you arrive or call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunNonnaDined on 5/26/2014We had excellent service and sat at a hibachi table without needing to specifically request one. What a treat. The food was plentiful and delicious. The table chef was skilled and entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedmeVIPDined on 5/17/2014A busy, vibrant restaurant. Good was good as was the service. This is a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, savory treatrudydaleVIPDined on 5/17/2014Going to a hibachi restaurant like Koto is one of those guilty culinary pleasures that you enjoy for yourself without touting it to your friends, unless they happened to be with you to enjoy it as well. Being married to a Japanese spouse who is a far better chef and offers more wholesome and authentic cuisine than what is offered at Koto, that's where the guilty pleasure comes in - we both enjoy the silly show of knife skill, the building of an onion volcano and the sweet & sour flavors of the grilled meal coming our way. It's become our go-to family meal when celebrating our son's progressions through academia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noted Allergic Reaction Gone BadGargoDined on 5/11/2014I advised to have 1 person served entire meal before introducing mushrooms to cooking surface due to extreme allergic. A mushroom was stuck to bottom of 1st tray & landed on cooking surface which was immediately pushed away with cooking utensil. Our guest said they'll chance eating dinner. Our guest was served majority of their dinner, but each guest gets 2 shrimp to complete their dinner. Mushrooms were introduced to the cooking surface. Unfortunately the original incident was enough to cause a reaction with our guest, but then 2 shrimp cooking next to the mushrooms were placed on their dinner. Immediately they pushed their plate away. Normally I give 5 stars to Koto. Our server was most concern start to finish and we thank you.Special Features:
- kotocheffiebtvDined on 5/9/2014The food was good. I had lobster and steak hibachi.the service sucked and the college kids seated next to us ruined he evening. I felt bad for the chef and server. As a chef and general manager of a local restaurant I feel that my personal opinion is that it could have been better but it wasn't horrible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clean food and accommodating.cometmvpDined on 5/2/2014Our first time there. I have food intolerances and the waiter/chef were great about flexing the menu to meet my needs and I was very satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Koto!Ecw73Dined on 5/2/2014Each of our kids has opted to celebrate their birthdays at Koto with groups ranging from 6 to 16 people. It's the perfect place for a group and special occassion. I've also been there for date night with my husband and for dinner out with girlfriends. The food is delicious, hibachi table is always entertaining at any age and the sushi is fresh and high quality with some very creative rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014Small portions compared to other hibachi restaurantsSpecial Features:
- experienceMikeDined on 4/10/2014We were early for our reservation and we're seated immediately. The service was great, the food was excellent. The atmosphere at thetime was very relaxed. I have never been disappointed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ShowgreatbeginingsDined on 3/9/2014They do it right...if you like Hibachi, you got to go to Koto...gotta see the show....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation that never happenedKDubDined on 3/8/2014We had a 730 reservation which we arrived early for. The hostess asked us to wait in the bar until 730. At 735 she told us our table spot would be ready in 1 minute. At 752 she couldn't figure out why are hibachi spot wasn't ready. Totally useless and clueless. We left and went elsewhere. Terrible service on a Saturday night.
- Great birthday dinner with familyMtnCatDined on 2/15/2014The staff took wonderful care of all 10 of us around the hibachi table. We were seated promptly and our waitress was very attentive. The hibachi chef was entertaining and the food was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable, tasty dinnerbgilhoolyDined on 2/14/2014Koto's Hibachi is always a fun, delicious dinner. Their portions are pretty generous. We went on Valentine's Day and got a complimentary order of crab rangoons. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014We enjoyed the food and the experience while celebrating our sons birthday!Special Features:
- The overall experience wascastleDined on 2/7/2014The overall experience was very nice. We plan on coming back when we have a chance. The food was great and to add a chef who likes to have fun just makes the experience better.Special Features:
- the food is always great wespacyqDined on 1/25/2014the food is always great we have been there many times and will always go thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas in JanuaryDocandProfDined on 1/18/2014Took the staff there for annual Christmas Party. Paul was our chef. Had a great time. Everyone went home full and laughing. No fights (at least between employees) Can't tell you what happened after everyone got home....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014we were seated with birthday party group that wee noisy and drinking a lot- not pleasant but the Hibachi was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great show and food!!!!!CbabyDined on 1/14/2014A group of 9, including me, wanted to experience the habachi grill. We definitely got dinner and a show! The cook made delicious food and made it fun. And when he messed up someone's order, he got more from the kitchen. The bill came to $400, but that was only because all 9 of us put it on one bill to split, so it came to about $45/person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaybirthdayDined on 1/3/2014My son wanted to have his birthday dinner at Koto. He was not disappointed! I added a note with our Open Table reservation that this was for his birthday and the hostess asked for his name, quietly so as not to spoil a surprise. At the end of the meal a dessert of fried ice cream with a candle was brought out without any reminder from us. It was a fun and wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You've Gotta' Eat At The Hibachipswebster78Dined on 1/1/2014I love eating here - especially at the Hibachi. Our cook was the best one I've had yet - very entertaining; plus it's fun to watch your food being cooked right in front of you!! Only 2 issues during this visit - I had a combination meal on the hibachi - my steak was done in front of me - but my scallops got lost somewhere - not sure if they ended up on another person's plate or if they were forgotten in the kitchen - but the chef was nice enough to get the kitchen to quickly cook some up and bring them out to me. The other issue was my water (my only beverage I was drinking) ran out for about 15 minutes, the waitress looked overbooked and no one came by for most of the eating portion of the meal to check on things like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to spend Christmasmommyof3boysDined on 12/25/2013We ate here for Christmas dinner while vacationing in VT. It had a fun atmosphere, really good food and great service. It was packed with lots of families and was kid friendly. Gotta try it again when back in VT. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got kids? Bring'emOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013My 3.5 year old was mesmerized by chefs amazing preperation. All smiles when he made the onion volcano of fire. Spectacular evening.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsShelburneCleverCedarDined on 12/15/2013We always choose Koto for our family's special occasions. We love the food and the great show presented at the hibachi grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids love itBruceDined on 12/4/2013When my grandchildren have the option to select where they eat out, Koto is the hands-down winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different and FunphergretDined on 11/30/2013I thought it would be awkward having the chef come to our table, but he was fun and made everyone very comfortable as he threw food at us! haha! It was great!Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013Food was excellent; seated in 10 minutes with reservation - waiting for table to clear. Noise level is boisterous because of cooking stations and crowds. Could hardly leave because of all people waiting for tables. I have a dislike for cilantro and I wish I had known that the udon with soba had Chinese parsley or cilantro in it. Otherwise meal was excellent with top-notch sushi. Attentive service but had this subtle feeling that we were being rushed out since the rest of our station had left five minutes earlier. We still had drinks to finish. All in all - would definitely return and definitely have resesrvations!Special Features:
- Good dinner and a showLddoggDined on 11/4/2013We came to the restuarant to celebrate a birthday. The dinner was tasty and the food presentation was excellent, but I was hoping there would be some recognition of the occasion and where was noneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.