Koto Japanese Steakhouse & Teppanyaki
373 Main Street
Redwood City, CA 94063Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Koto Japanese Steakhouse & Teppanyaki
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kotojapan.net/
- Phone: 6503683888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-Th 11:30am-2:30pm
Lunch: Sa 12:00pm-3:30pm; Su 12:30pm-9:30pm Dinner: M-F 4:30pm-10:00pm; Sa 3:30pm-10:00pm Dinner: Su 12:30pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kevin Lin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Private Room, Takeout
A word from Koto Japanese Steakhouse & Teppanyaki
Koto Teppanyaki and Sushi blends popular Hibachi-style Japanese food with a bit of New York flair. "We're from New York, so our style is different," says owner and executive chef Kevin Lin. "A different way of cooking, different sauces." At Koto, you have a choice of dining teppanyaki style (fresh food cooked for you on a Hibachi grill) or in the sushi bar. Our teppanyaki menu is extensive, offering everything from steak to salmon, swordfish, lobster, chicken and tuna. Our chefs will prepare your dishes with dramatic flair that will dazzle you. Our sushi menu includes traditional sushi as well as more exotic dishes. You can also order a combination of sushi and teppanyaki. For a sweet ending to your meal, Koto offers unique desserts such as tempura cheesecake, tempura banana, and the popular Japanese favorite, deep-fried ice cream, as well as mochi ice cream, and traditional chocolate mousse. The Redwood Patch says Koto Teppanyaki and Sushi is “New York meets Japan.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Koto Japanese Steakhouse & Teppanyaki reviews from OpenTable diners
- a really fun experience! TheTexasTeriVIPDined on 7/1/2013a really fun experience! The food is so good. It's so fun when the cook brings the diners into the fun. will keep visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyGlennVIPDined on 6/23/2013Great dining experience as well delicilious sushi selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2013I'm tired of chain restaurants. I like frequently local-owned businesses. Good food and attentive staff with reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for the whole family!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/8/2013With 2 young children (both under 3), this is one of my new favorites for family dining as both children were completely entertained by the fun Chef! The staff was very accommodating to our family and we all enjoyed ourselves. We've only dined from the Teppanyaki menu and the food was all good (not spectacular but good!) and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much funOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2013Went with a friend and we had a really great time! We sat with a fun group of people and our chef was really talented and put on an awesome show. I got the filet and scallops and both were cooked perfectly. Looking forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for kids as the cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/31/2013Great for kids as the cooking is a show for them. Food is good and hot (never sits under a heat lamp).Special Features:
- decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2013the food was decent but i really liked the fried rice. it was disappointing that he couldn't cook my portion without the green onions as requested. there was no ambiance.Special Features:
- Fun place for dinnererkiVIPDined on 5/10/2013We had a nice time at Koto for dinner with our toddler son. It was fun and entertaining. Great for date nights, special occasions, and families. The cook was fun and the staff attentive. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon teriyakiTexasTeriVIPDined on 4/29/2013I tried the salmon.teriyaki for the 1st time. I am very picky about how fish is prepared, & this was by-far the best salmon I have ever had in a restaurant. I will be ordering it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always busy! 3 Birthday parties,TexasTeriVIPDined on 4/17/2013always busy! 3 Birthday parties, so much fun. Saki bombs are a hit!Special Features:
- The chef was the best partFoodieDined on 4/13/2013The chef was the best part of the meal. We lucked out with a great, energetic and funny chef (especially after seeing how the other chefs were). Our chef engaged with all of the guests at the table, and had funny moments; which made the overall experience good. Unfortunately the food was not as good as the chef's performance.Special Features:
- Great food at a reasonable price!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/30/2013My husband and I tried Koto for the first time recently and were pleasantly surprised. The food is very good and at a really reasonable price - you know how expensive sushi can be. They also give a lot of food - tempura dinner was enough for two people. We will definitely go back.
- Koto is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/25/2013Koto is one of my favorite places to dine whether with just my man or a large group. Sushi Bar and Teppanyaki is always on point!Special Features:
- This is a fun place to goJBHIIVIPDined on 3/22/2013This is a fun place to go for Japanese food simply put. Good food, nice environment.Special Features:
- THis is a kid friendly place.AndieDined on 3/17/2013THis is a kid friendly place. But that is about it. For a 7PM reservation, we were not seated until 7:35PM, order takened at 8PM, and dinner was not served until 8:15PM. A waiter asked us if we enjoyed our food when we haven't even seen our food. Miso soup was not authentic (missing one main ingredient), fried rice was served in your plate and not in a bowl, charged me for a cup of hot tea and never refill it. Lack (or no) of customer service. Will not come back.Special Features:
- Ay-Ya for Yen Yen...OnTOPofITVIPDined on 3/8/2013Nice place with a personal touch that Benihana's does not. I always ask for the Owner Yen Yen to be our Chef and SHE always makes the evening a delight!Special Features:
- I went on 3/5 at 7:00 pm.vysfDined on 3/5/2013I went on 3/5 at 7:00 pm. A lot of people on that day. Our dinner does not start to serve until 8:00 pm to have the salad. Salad and soup finished for about 15 minutes before the chef showed up to cook. Waiting too long. We ordered hot tea and it charged about $0.99. Normally Japanes restaurant provided either hot tea or water will not charge money but it charges. Don't recall the menu show ordering tea will cost money or not. The worst is tea never be refilled and the server does not come often....Special Features:
- Although the food and entertainmentBJ54Dined on 3/3/2013Although the food and entertainment is great, they need to seriously work on their bookings. we had a 6;15 reservations, were finally seated at 7 and someone come to take our order at 7;30. they could have at lease asked for drink orders.....because this is the second time we've had to wait so long, we may not be back of a while, or we will need to serioously plan ahead....maybe make a reservation 45 minuted before we want to eat...Special Features:
- We had a great time at Koto.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/24/2013We had a great time at Koto. The cook was quite skillful as well as had a great sense of humor. Food was great. A great way to celebrate a 65th BirthdaySpecial Features:
- Dinner "Show"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013Food is great, but the place is very noisy. There are lots of people with children. It would be nice to be seated with others who do not have children, as well as those families to be seated with other families. It's fun to meet other people during the dining experience, but if you don't have your children with you, the dynamic is very different. Service was a bit slow to get our order and to start the hibachi dinner, despite arriving at the restaurant right on time. I would say this is a casual place to have a nice dinner with people that you don't want to have an intimate conversation with. The food is very fresh and really delicious, as it is cooked in front of you. Our chef was great and put on a good "show".Special Features:
- Slow, disorganized, and loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Waited for 45 minutes even though we had a reservation. Ended up leaving and going elsewhere to eat. Front of the house was disorganized and only dropped by every 5 minutes to greet new guests, so lots of people standing around confused. The noise level was also really high that night - Teppanyaki is dinner and a show, but even from the waiting area you could barely talk to anyone else over the din. No plans to go back. I've eaten there once before and the food was 'ok' but crazily over-buttered - was hoping for redemption on the second pass but have no need to try again.
- restaurant somewhat emmptymeeeDined on 2/5/2013restaurant somewhat emmpty but it was still pretty loud. we did the teppanyaki and the chef at our table was fabuous. what wasn't so good was that the waiters seemed to rush us (and there was only 1 other party at the restaurant! That was irritating. We used a coupon which made it a very reasonable meal.Special Features:
- It was a Friday night, grantedmargoVIPDined on 1/25/2013It was a Friday night, granted it was earlier than 6:30 or 7:00, but it was still late enough that there should have been more people in the restaurant. The food was just ok, service was fine, the atmosphere was quiet, especially for a teppanyaki area. I had a coupon so the price was very good, but I wouldn't go back. It has a great advantage though, as it has plenty of parking.Special Features:
- A fun place to experienceMezzalunaHMBDined on 1/20/2013A fun place to experience some of the finest showmanship in town!Special Features:
- so much fun! ran into friends,TexasTeriVIPDined on 1/14/2013so much fun! ran into friends, & celebrated one of their birthdays! If we had gone somewhere else we would has missed out. Was really enjoyableSpecial Features:
- We decided to try Koto becauseMiMiVIPDined on 1/13/2013We decided to try Koto because we have adverse reactions to some food at Benihana. We had no adverse reaction to any food at Koto. Our server was fun and put a good show on.
- Waited WAY too long and not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/5/2013Had to wait over a half hour from the time of our reservation to get seated and then another half hour or more before they actually came out and started to cook. It was WAY too loud - could barely hear my husband who was right next to me. The atmosphere was so dingy and cold. Chef and servers were nice but the overall experience was not great so I doubt we'll be going back.
- Food very fresh but the saucesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013Food very fresh but the sauces need upgrading. The mustard sauce wattery and bitter tasting and the other sauce very tasteless. Could use a third sauce. Steak, shrimp, chicken tasty but could have used a really good sauce. The chef was great! He put on a fantastic show.Special Features:
- "Yen" Can Cook!OnTOPofITVIPDined on 1/3/2013If you want a relaxed and less of the noise of Benihana... Koto is THE Place! They offer a FULL Japanese Steakhouse Menu with plenty of Appetizers and Sushi to compliment the 'Cooking Show'. Pricing is fine... and ask for Master Hibachi Chef Yen who is also a partner... GREAT people skills to go along with her cooking abilities!!Special Features:
- Small wait for our table'sOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/2/2013Small wait for our table's chef, so they provided complimentary edamame appetizer. Chef was very entertaining, and food was good value for the price.Special Features:
- Beware of couponsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/31/2012We went there because we got a coupon from Valpak. Our chef and waiter was good though. The food was okay. Serving just right. Before we ordered, I presented the voucher to our waiter and asked if we can use the voucher, he said okay just present later when paying so you can get discount. So when we got the bill, the waiter also got our coupon. The waiter returned the bill w the coupon with a disappointed face. And when we asked him, why theres no discount? He said, today is a holiday Dec 31. I said, its not a holiday, he said im not the manager, my manager said its a holiday so u cant use the coupon. I talked to the manager but he still insist that Dec 31 is a holiday. At the end, we ddint get a discount.Special Features:
- Best teppanyaki on the peninsulaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2012Overall excellent experience. Teppanyaki chef was brilliant - everything you would want - a great showman, humerous, engaging, and the food was excellent. It's standard teppanyaki fare, which is what we where going for, but prepared at the highest level of seasoning and quality. He also catered immediately to some special requests. Our group of eight spoke about how much fun we had and how great the food was after we left. I'm really glad we tried this restaurant and this will be our preferred teppanyaki place from now on.Special Features:
- The food is always delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012The food is always delicious. It is a fun place for everyone.Special Features:
- Fairly decentSarahDined on 12/24/2012Fun place to take our children for cooking entertainment. Food was ok. Not a lot you can do with hot plate cooked food to change it up. They need to change the script, this was our second visit and the chef had the same banter each timeSpecial Features:
- The food was good. The waitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012The food was good. The wait staff was attentive. It's a decent family style spot for those of us who like reasonably priced Japanese food.Special Features:
- it's always fun to see ourCathyDined on 12/16/2012it's always fun to see our food being prepared so creativelySpecial Features:
- Great teppanyaki-style restaurantChuckCVIPDined on 12/8/2012Very good teppanyaki style restaurant in Redwood City! I've been going to Benihana for over 40 years and have tried a number of the other restaurants that have followed the teppanyaki style dining experience. Koto does a great job - the food was surprisingly good, and the teppanyaki chef - Yan Yan - was fantastic and entertaining. The seating process was a little slow - we were seated 30 minutes after our reservation time and it took the chef another 30 minutes to start preparing the meal. The wait service was also a little on the slow side - refill on drinks required the chef to stop three different waiters. But, all in all, a good experience and better than the other teppanyaki restaurants in the area - even giving Benihana a run!Special Features:
- It's wonderful to have anMaggieCVIPDined on 12/2/2012It's wonderful to have an alternative to Benihana but you walk out of this place smelling like you were on the grill! Extremely professional chefs!Special Features:
- Wow! What a great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012Wow! What a great dining experience. The food was fresh and vibrant, the service was sterling, and the chef put on a terrific show of great teppanyaki skills. Ask for chef Yen when you go. This blows Benihana away in every phase of the dining experience. Make a reservation, as this place has definetly been discovered!Special Features:
- the online menu prices are a joke!thansVIPDined on 11/13/2012the food was good, but the restaurant was quite empty. The main thing we didn't like is that the prices in the restaurant are quite a bit higher than those shown on the menu posted on line. It's certainly no bargain and there's nothing special about it.