522 N. Grand Ave
St. Louis, MO 63103Neighborhood:
Downtown St. Louis
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kotawoodfiregrill.com/
- Phone: 3145355577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm;
Thursday-Saturday 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Wes Johnson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Kota offers up quite a few selections when it comes to planning a party. We can handle private parties from 20 to 60 people.
- Private Party Contact: Matt 8772643858
- Special Events: All special events are handled directly from the restaurant. Please contact Adam Tucker at (314) 535-5577 or Kota.Manager@ymail.com
- Cross Street: Washingtion
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking during lunch can be found directly behind Third Baptist Church for only $2.00! Just a little more than a meter and no chance of a ticket! Additional parking can be found West of Grand on the North side of Washington.
A word from Kota Grill
Kota uses a variety ingredients and cooking techniques to offer a widely eclectic menu. Our chef strives to serve fresh and familiar dishes, with an elegant twist. Goat cheese stuffed peppedews, fish tacos, shrimp and grits, and our Kota crunch salad are a few of our most popular dishes. We also have a full bar, which remains open after weekend shows at the Fox and specializes in alcoholic milkshakes, such as the Thin Mint or Seattle Delight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kota Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good for Pre-Theatre DinnerHazelGreenDined on 6/8/2013We were in and out in 40 minutes, prefect to stroll to Powell Hall. The Fish Tacos were very good, but the sweet potato fries had cinnamon or something in them and I didn't care for that taste. Too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sun spots cause seating headacheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013Kota Grill appears to be a thriving restaurant so it befuddles me as to why they can't seem to afford sun screens for the front windows. The food and atmosphere are both top notch. However, if you have reservations that fall between 6 and 7 pm be sure to specify that you do not wish to sit in the front of the building. The front windows have no sunscreens and the light is almost blinding. The server's comment was "Wait 10 minutes and the sun will be behind the building." We preferred not to wait and were promptly re-seated so kudos to the hostess (I am not sure this would have been the case on a typically busy evening). Once re-seated, the rest of the evening was fabulous - the food was scrumptious & service excellent.Special Features:
- I would recommend this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013I would recommend this restaurant only for the location when attending an event at the Fox/right across the street. Appetizer-Pork Meatballs w/ sauce...very apparent they were frozen processed meatballs with jar sauce over them. Salad/house good. Entrees-Mustard Pork dry. Salmon ok-very well done on bottom. Dessert a packaged cheesecake, but we figured that when ordering. Nice spacing of tables and servers were very good. Wine we selected/ Malbec was great...nice to see on the menu.
- YummyPatsyannDined on 6/6/2013We split the Kota Crunch Salad. It was so good I could have made a meal of it. I had the flat iron steak. It was the best I have had in a long time. My husband had the seafood ravioli. It was really great too. Because if was my birthday the waiter offered the creme brulee cheesecake. Excellent. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the FOX FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2013The restaurant is conveniently located across the street from the FOX theatre so it is a great place to dine before the show. The food was very good and the atmosphere and service were good too. I would have given it 5 stars except for the fact that they brought my salad and entree at the same time and the server did not offer us bread or a drink refill.Special Features:
- Menu very limited and mostOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2013Menu very limited and most of it not too good. The service was very good.
- This is a wonderful choiceMaudieDined on 6/6/2013This is a wonderful choice for lunch. I have not been there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2013Our waitress was very good. She was attentive and very friendly and open. We felt good with her service.Special Features:
- Wonderful menu and food!reggieDined on 6/2/2013Enjoyed everything about the restaurant! Would recommend it to friends and would come back again. A great place to eat before the Fox!Special Features:
- This restaurant is nice becauseFoxMemberDined on 6/1/2013This restaurant is nice because it is directly across from The Fox Theatre. So you can park in one place for dinner and the show. However, the service was extremely slow. We had multiple people taking care of our table for various things. Food was good, menu is limited.
- Convenient location in GrandTRERDined on 6/1/2013Convenient location in Grand Center District. Good spot for dinner before a show at Fox, Sheldon, or Powell. Entres (salmon for my guest and boneless pork chop for me) were a bit over done and not altogether very hot. Service was attentive but not overly so. Just about right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food (burgers and fishDenaliVIPDined on 5/31/2013The food (burgers and fish tacos) took an hour from the time we ordered until the time it was delivered. There were no chardonnay wines available (this was the second time this had happened to us at Kota.
- Forgot at our tablefoodforlifeDined on 5/31/2013We did get our appetizer right away and it was tasty. Good thing we got an appetizer - we are pretty sure our waitress forgot to put our food order in. We waited 45 minutes and then asked someone to find our waitress. We did not get asked about refills for our empty glasses. My friend did not get her salad - so she cancelled it. Finally we did get our food - which was so so. Overall not a good experience and I was sad that I suggested it for dinner.Special Features:
- My Fox Night FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2013My husband and kids have given me a Fox ticket package for the last 3 years for Mother's day! I take each one of my kids to a different show. We ALWAYS go to KOTA grill before the show. We love the calamari, the KOTA crunch salad, hamburger and more. (We miss the beef medallion entrée.... ) This week I ran into traffic on my way to the show. I was an hour late for my reservation, and somehow you made it work! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!Special Features:
- Changes not good!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/28/2013We have enjoyed Kota in the past before going to the Fox. Obviously you have changed your menu and not for the good. My bacon cheeseburger was terrible. The pasta ordered by two other friends had such heavy garlic, that it was difficult to eat. We won't be coming back!
- Food Lacking QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2013The lettuce in our Salad (Koat Crunch) was stale. The salmon was overcooked and dry. The quality of the food across experiences is quite variable.
- good food slow servicesprinkmoDined on 5/24/2013I have eaten at the Kota Grill many times before, but this time the service was less than desirable. We had tickets to the Fox Theatre across the street at 8:00. Our reservation was at 6:30, so should have had plenty of time to eat. We ended up inhaling our food in 5 minutes to be able to make the show. The waitress told us there was a confusion in the kitchen. They did not offer to comp our meals...only one round of drinks. From what we could taste, as the food was inhaled, it was very good. We were disappointed we couldn't take our time to truly enjoy. The food is always good at Kota Grill, but the service can be slow. Also, our waitress did not check on us very often otherwise she would have known our food hadn't come yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was good, but foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013Service was good, but food was just ok. It is a great place to eat if you are going to the Fox Theatre.Special Features:
- I was excited to try KotaLisaDined on 5/18/2013I was excited to try Kota Grill. I had always waited until the last minute to call for reservations before a fox event and it was always booked. We arrived and waited about 15 minutes until a server came to our table. Wanted to order a bottle of white wine but was informed that they were out of most whites. It was uncertain what was available so we didn't get drinks. Ordered clamari for an appetizer and it was good. Ordered three entrees; Shrimp and grits was very good, the pasta dish was overpowered with green and black olives and was inedible, third entree was fish and was good. It was a busy day in the area, SLU graduation, early Fox event and it was evident that it was understaffed.Special Features:
- Good food but poor serviceDiner3VIPDined on 5/18/2013The food was delicious though the serving sizes were small - my husband had the salmon and it looked more like an appetizer size. He was starving when he got home. The restaurant wasn't busy but drinks service was non-existent. We got our first drink ok when we arrived but couldn't manage to get a second delivered until after we'd had our appetizers and our mains! We'd even run out of water by then so it was not very nice eating our mains with nothing to drink at all. Also although there were about 10 or 12 white wines listed on the menu, only 3 were in stock. Three? And one of them was sweet... Didn't ask about the reds, but they didn't have all the beers on their list available either.
- Bad BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013Stopped in for a burger before the symphony. Ordered the burgers, "medium". They arrived beyond "well done" to the point of being totally dried out. The size of the dessert was very very small for the price. Service, which has been poor in the past, was very good this night.
- One of our go-to places, especiallyLibratDined on 5/4/2013One of our go-to places, especially prior to Fox shows.Special Features:
- Going to MISS coming in summerDonnaDined on 5/2/2013We actually drive 45 minutes to come here in summer and eat outside--love the shakes!!! Also come before all Fox and Powell Hall activities. So sorry to hear they are not going to be open this summer--we will miss them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fox FriendlycoxieDined on 5/2/2013We love too eat at Kota Grill before we go to Fox. We are able to park close by and walk across the street to Fox when finished with our outstanding lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noiselulyDined on 5/2/2013Lunch, before the FOX with many of us old folks--TURN MUSIC DOWNSpecial Features:
- Food disappoints at Kota GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2013Their soup of the day was Tortilla Soup and was very good. The hostess and our server were also very friendly and efficient. Unfortunately, my fish tacos were only fair, however, and my date rated her salmon as "the worst salmon ever." Her tomato soup was very heavy in garlic, and yet was strangely sweet -- a less than winning combination as well. Another dining companion had the shrimp and grits, however, and loved it. We went before the Fox and they were very attentive to make sure we dined and got out on time, so that is a plus. All in all, however, you go to a restaurant for the food, and it just didnt measure up. I doubt we'll go back.
- fantastic for before the Fox!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013fantastic for before the Fox! Fun, interesting menu. I will go back and I do recommend.
- I had heard mixed reviewsDrVickDined on 4/26/2013I had heard mixed reviews about Kota, so was a little curious...glad we decided to try it! Service was EXCELLENT. We went before the symphony, and it was also a Fox Theatre production night, so busy busy. You could tell staff was used to dealing with busy theatre crowds--handled it very well. I had asked for a special order of sorts (poached shrimp instead of grilled); no problem. Everything was great. My friend's fish tacos were excellent (i had a bite) and she thought they were perfectly cooked, not too much oil either. Wine list was rather small but worked. Again, no complaints, will definitely be back/add this to one of our rotating theatre pre-dinner spots!Special Features:
- Excellent food and drink,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013Excellent food and drink, service was very good. I would encourage my friends to eat there.Special Features:
- As we don't live near KotaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2013As we don't live near Kota Grill, we very much enjoy eating there prior to attending Fox performances. We simply like everything about the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great place to eat beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2013Great place to eat before going to the Fox Theater or other venues in the area.
- We really enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/24/2013We really enjoyed our dinner at Kota Grill. We were on our way to the Fox and they were very accommodating and got us out in plenty of time to walk across the street. We did notice that most of the people eating there were also going to the Fox. The food was excellent and the service excellent. We are already planning another visit there,.Special Features:
- This was our very first visit.DavidDined on 4/23/2013This was our very first visit. We chose Kota because of proximity to Fox Theater. Advised server of our show time and he made sure to get us out on time. We enjoyed our dinner.As we have season tickets to the Fox, we will be back.Special Features:
- We went for dinner at KotaShafjjDined on 4/23/2013We went for dinner at Kota Grill prior to seeing a performance a the Fox. The calamari was a bit overcooked, but still tasty. The bread and butter were awesome. My salad was fine, but my guest's hamburger was a preformed patty, rather dry ande pretty underwhelming for the price. Love the convenience when attending something at the Fox, but would not otherwise consider eating at Kota Grill.
- We go there a lot becauseDiane711Dined on 4/21/2013We go there a lot because of its proximity to the Fox, but also enjoy the food very much. The big salad with the caramel corn is always great.Special Features:
- We go prior to going to TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013We go prior to going to The Fox, Sheldon, and Symphony! The service is excellent and the food is also very good. We like that they split the entree's, as we are not large eaters! Will look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- It was very empty the nightNickieDined on 3/28/2013It was very empty the night that we dined. The food was decent but the menu is shrinking and many of our favorites from a previous visit had been removed from the menu. Our waiter was very helpful and provided great service.
- Great waitress!STLguyDined on 3/23/2013One of our group was running late. Our waitress (1008 Jennifer) advised us to go ahead and order and she would try to expidite our late friend whe she arrived. When our friend arrived, Jennefier kept us informed as to the progress of the order and had it out to us in time, that we were still able to make it to our show in time.Special Features:
- We have eaten at Kota GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2013We have eaten at Kota Grill many times prior to attending the Fox Theater. The food is usally very good. The service is a hit or miss depending who the waiter is and if they are short staffed. This last time it took us an hour to get our food. We had ordered a salad and a hamburger and fries. I will continue to go to the Kota grill for the convience of being right across the street from the Fox.Special Features:
- While consistency may stillRickVIPDined on 3/19/2013While consistency may still be laoking a little, Kota seems to have become a good choice for dining in the Grand Center area. Whether before a show or just an evening in the area, the food and service are good more times than not. Fish tacos are tender and flavorful with a nice soft shell. The pepperdews are a great appetizer to share. Cocktails are creative and well made.