Koo Zee Doo
614 N 2nd St.
Philadelphia, PA 19123Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
Koo Zee Doo
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.koozeedoo.com/
- Phone: 2159238080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Closed Monday & Tuesday
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Portuguese
- Executive Chef: David Gilberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: KOO ZEE DOO can seat up to 40 guests for private events. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Carla 2159238080
- Cross Street: On 2nd between Fairmount Ave & Green St./Spring Ga
- Public Transit: SEPTA Market-Frankford Subway stop @ Spring Garden, SEPTA routes 5 & 25 stop at 2nd St and Green St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On the surrounding blocks free, 2-hour, and metered parking is available and generally plentiful.
A word from Koo Zee Doo
Our small, charming BYOB in Northern Liberties specializes in the traditional rustic flavors of Portuguese cuisine. The a la carte menu is served in large family style portions that invite sharing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Koo Zee Doo reviews from OpenTable diners
- we'll miss you Koo Zee Doo!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2013We had another amazing meal at Koo Zee Doo, and we're so sorry to see it go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience Great tasting!RileyDined on 6/29/2013Great restaurant. The food is inventive and creative. I would highly recommend the tasting, which is well portioned and allows you to sample a variety of delicious items from the menu. Unfortunately, Koo Zee Do is closing 7/14, so get there if you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2013Absolutely delicious. We had to go one last time before it closes. Thank you for all the wonderful food and great memories with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant will be greatlyEarlyDinerDined on 6/28/2013This restaurant will be greatly missed. We had a wonderful meal. Tried their "Tasting Menu." It was 10 different items. Several of which we never would have ordered but were absolutely delicious..i.e. the chicken gizzards.Special Features:
- IrreplaceablepassthebutterDined on 6/27/2013I'm going to miss this place something awful after they close in a couple of weeks. It's hard to swallow, since from the day they opened, KooZeeDoo has turned out consistently delicious, unique, surprising, top-notch, soul-satisfying food with great service in one of the coziest and most charming restaurant settings in town. Consistently one of the top 5 go-to restaurants on my lists. What will I do without the octopus gravy? Thanks, David and Carla, for giving us such a great place to eat for as long as you could. Looking forward to whatever you do next.Special Features:
- The food was amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2013We really enjoyed our dinner there. We are so sad to see them go.Special Features:
- absolutely perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2013Everything here was just perfect...from the wonderful octopus and perfectly grilled sardines to the tender fried rabbit to the very good desserts...i cannot rate this place high enough...it was the best meal I've had any where in a very long time...just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- choices limitedPennFacultyDined on 6/21/2013Koo Zee Doo serves its meals family style. This is great if your party is homogeneous food wise but not so good if one person is vegan, another vegetarian, and others don't eat meat. This reduces the menu choices considerably and way too much food is ordered. This is especially true since there are only a few options in each category, The night we were there the menu had one vegetarian option and one other non meat choice. Finally if you sit in the front room, the odors from the nearby grill overwhelm the room.
- A Great FindDavidDined on 6/20/2013This was a random find while looking for a special place to take a friend for her birthday. We did the chef's tasting menu and 9 plates that were brought to use were amazing. They brought somethings I did not expect to like and we both did. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!MizzyGDined on 6/16/2013Menu, while limited, offered choices good for a variety of diners. I personally am not a foodie, but my two fellow diners are. We all enjoyed the experience. Entrees are served "family style", so two entrees were plenty for us, along with the appetizer we ordered.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2013Just returned from Lisbon, and wanted to share a bit of that culinary experience with my in-laws. He looked at the very short, very portuguese menu and declared "I can't eat any of this". Since everything is family style, we pretended not to hear him, and ordered 3 appetizers (shrimp in hot sauce, chopped salad, and spicy seafood salad) and 2 entrees (lamb skewers and baked duck rice). The shrimp was served head-on, which allowed for delicious shrimp juices to get everywhere. For me, the baked duck rice was the stand out, with rice mixed with shredded duck leg meat, baked until crispy, topped with sliced perfectly med-rare duck breast. Service, while polite, was a bit slow and occasionally inattentive. DEFINITELY recommend to anybody.Special Features:
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2013Bring cash and a great bottle of Rioja and enjoy the City's absolutely best Portuguese cooking (as good as, or better than, available in Lisbon or Porto). Limited menu (maybe 6 apps and 6 entrees) but each is served in very large portions, family style, and all are incredibly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2013Never had Portuguese food before but it was a great first experience. If you like to try new things, definitely check this place out. I would recommend the octopus with gravy as your app. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, generous portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2013Shared the Sardines and citrus/seafood salad; both were marvelous and great together. Got the lamb with rice and beans. Very good, and had leftovers!! The bread (corn and sourdough) is made on premises and is heaven. The service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Great night out with a friend.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2013The is my second time to the restAurant. It is a neighbor hood gem. They serve portions family style, good for groups. Nice place.Special Features:
- Absolutely loved it. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2013Absolutely loved it. They honored all my requests and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Some of the best food in theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2013Some of the best food in the city; it is both unique and true to its origins. It would be nice for the inclusion of a wine list (with some ports) as well as the acceptance of credit cardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious tasting menuSeriousAboutDessertDined on 5/12/2013Since everything on the menu looked delicious, we ordered the tasting menu, $50 each, 5 courses and loved it. We loved every dish although I think the sardine and the monkfish were both standouts. Also loved the octopus cooked with ham, the chicken gizzards, and a little coconut tart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!PeteDined on 5/12/2013Although this restaurant has been open for a number of years we never got around to eating there until Mother's Day and now we 're sorry that we waited. Everyone was very pleased with the food as it was great. We won't wait very long before going back to Koo Zee Doo.Special Features:
- Went for Mother's Day brunchFoodie123Dined on 5/12/2013Went for Mother's Day brunch an was excellent. They do such a great job here all around. Easily one of the best byob's in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good portuguese.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2013Went for mother's day brunch, my wife and in-laws are portuguese. We all enjoy it, the food was pretty good. However no serving bread (on a portuguese table) was a let down. A side of biscuits was an option, but it's not the same. You just need bread to wipe your plates clean.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2013Wonderful food and service. Love that the kitchen is in the main dining space. We had plenty of food to share between three of us. Two app, one entree and dessert. Would recommend all the dishes apps - chicken gizzards, octopus, entree steak and potatoes (a little salty for me) and dessert devine - coconut custard. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!Special Features:
- WOWTruebistroDined on 5/3/2013We ate at Koo Zee Doo last night and it was one of our most memorable dining experiences anywhere including all of Philadelphia, many trips to France, Belgium, Holland, and Italy. The room is warm and welcoming, the staff are attractive, friendly and experienced. The food is sufficiently different to be exciting without being out of range for any reasonably adventurous eater. The concept is family style sharing so it would be most fun if you come in a group of 6 or so, but we were only two and it was great. The waitress explained it is good to order two beginning dishes and one entree and she was right on; we had the octopus and croquettes first and baked duck rice as an entree; excellent. We will be back often, it is our new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu is very different inPhilyrunDined on 4/27/2013Menu is very different in a good way. Large sharing portionsSpecial Features:
- Koo Zee Doo is a stand-out.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2013Extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff helped us find our way around the Portuguese menu for an distinctive and memorable meal. Even among the diversity of Philly's restaurants, Koo Zee Doo is a stand-out.Special Features:
- If you have not tried yet, GO!JDBphillyDined on 4/27/2013This was our 4th trip to Koo Zee Doo and it just keeps getting better. We took my father-in-law with us and ate in the back patio area. Very quiet. We all had the $50 5-course dinner and enjoyed every bite. The sauce used with the prawns was outstanding. A couple of rolls were used to get every drop!!Special Features:
- Amazing food and love theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2013Amazing food and love the family-style sharing! It gives your whole group a chance to try everything - and you can't go wrong. The octopus in gravy is one of my favorite things in the whole world, and the pork special was out of this world. Next time I return I'll have to buy a bottle of their house-made piri piri hot sauce!Special Features:
- if you haven't you shouldSuperCATDined on 4/19/2013This is an amazing place. For real, we ate our faces off for $61. $61!!!! We had the sardines, spicy shrimp, spicy seafood salad (I can't wait to have this again), and the croquettes. We were stuffed! And we were absolutely bowled over by the quality of the food and the expertise and helpfulness of the service. The server didn't try to sell us on an entrada and encouraged our interest in more challenging firsts. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Easily one of the best restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/10/2013Easily one of the best restaurant experience I ever had.Special Features:
- Koo zee doo is one of my absoluteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2013Koo zee doo is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in Philadelphia. I don't think it gets the attention that it deserves. All the dishes are prepared perfectly and all the ingredients taste so fresh. I love it, from beginning to end. The great service paired with outstanding dishes makes for a wonderful dining experience everytime.Special Features:
- As a first time visitor, ILynnDined on 4/3/2013As a first time visitor, I wasn"t sure what to expect from Portuguese food, but this one is a winner. Although I did not love everything, my table mates did. Service was competent and friendly. It seems a good place for a group (we were 4 people) because portions are quite large and definitely meant for sharing. We will surely be making a return visit.Special Features:
- The food was very flavorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2013The food was very flavorful and the bread was delicious. Unfortunately the food was also a bit too rich for us. Service was very good.
- We like the hearty food anddaylilydinerDined on 3/23/2013We like the hearty food and friendly service here and hope the switch to accepting only cash instead of credit cards doesn't mean the restaurant is having difficulties.
- Great find, CASH ONLY.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2013We've been to Koo zee doo many times. The food is always great. The Mariscos salad, the moelas, sardinhas, bacalhau com natas are all great. Our least favorite thing was the Bife a portuguesa. Also, they recently changed to cash only and the only notice was a tiny print on the menu. We saw a few customers leave their party to find an ATM. They really should post that on the door.Special Features:
- The food was good but franklylilyDined on 3/22/2013The food was good but frankly not as good as the last time i dined here.
- Food TOO unusual. PerhapsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2013Food TOO unusual. Perhaps a few dishes of food most people would recognize and enjoy while others could be adventuresome. Steak very tough.
- Awesome...as alwaysdrjreDined on 3/14/2013Always fantastic. Food is simply some of the best in Philly with at-home style service that actually cares about the restaurant. Rare and nice to see, I will be back.Special Features:
- Awesome BYOB in NoLibs!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2013Koo Zee Doo is a total gem. The Portuguese food is awesome and I liked the Lupini beans to begin with followed by the shrimp in Piri Piri sauce and then the beef and egg dish. The roasted apple and caramel desert is one of the best deserts in Philadelphia. Service was friendly and efficient and the ambience is what you should expect from an intimate BYOB. Thumbs up!!Special Features:
- Outstanding! Took my 16 yearOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2013Outstanding! Took my 16 year old son for a special father/son dinner. The tasting menu was perfect for us. Everything was delicious and lots of variety.Special Features:
- A somewhat small menu, butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2013A somewhat small menu, but everything was fresh and prepared exceptionally well. Not the typical Portugese food that I am used t0 - the chefs must be from a different region - which made it all that more interesting. We had the duck and monkfish for main courses - both knockouts. The sardines were right on the mark and the bacalau (cod) croquettes melted in your mouth. Four people had a ton of food with three starters and two main dishes. Bring cash and your own wine.Special Features: