Kona Grill - The Woodlands
3 Waterway Square
The Woodlands, TX 77380Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - The Woodlands
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: (281) 466-4061
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kona Grill - The Woodlands
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill’s signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Kona Grill - The Woodlands - Best Restaurants in The Woodlands ›
Kona Grill - The Woodlands reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (18)fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (10)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (10)special occasion (8)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Service is going downJuicyjackVIPDined on 11/23/2014We may not try this place for a while. Something has changed in their wait staff. The last 4-5 times we have been there, the waitstaff has been very forgetful and careless. This time, the waiter failed to hear a very small request in the order. When we got our food and asked about our request, he said he could send it back. We said no that's fine, then he comes back and says he didn't hear us ask for that cause he would have told us they didn't carry it. We had guests with us that clearly heard the entire conversation. Then he would disappears for what seems like eternity. It was mid day so they were not busy at all. It was quite embarrassing to say the least. We had talked to highly of that place. To top it off, we could smell his cologne over our food. He must have dropped the bottle on himself that day. We won't be going back. This is the woodlands Kona, don't think this inconsistent and unprofessional waitstaff can last.
- Almost as good as usualJuicyjackVIPDined on 11/12/2014This is the second time lately that the service has been very off point. This is not a common thing for Kona but it's also unacceptable. Waiter forgot some basics like chopsticks, got order wrong and rarely came around. Not good. Guess it's training 101.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehh it was okayDrdustinDined on 11/1/2014Sushi was nothing spectacular. Drinks were a little weak. Menu seemed strange. Could either have super sweet or spicy.Special Features:
- pleasantkeediDined on 10/24/2014My waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu..great recommendation on food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Hot SpotWoodlandsVIPDined on 10/24/2014Went in for an early dinner and it was clear that this is a Happy Hour Hot Spot. Had a nice dinner. Food good, but not earth shattering. Wait staff is nice and pleasant, but not professionally trained. At a 4-top with easy access to all seats, the server passed the plates across the table to serve, and asked us to pass the plates across the table when they were ready to be cleared. That was a negative feature for me and the restaurant does not give the feel of "family style" so I felt it down graded the experience.Special Features:
- Party not outstanding as hopednot2happyDined on 10/23/2014This was my second time at Kona Grill. The first time the food was exceptional, however, the service was a bit slow. This time I booked a party for a birthday - group was under 10. The food was good, however, my friends I invited to impress stated their food was bland. The staff was very friendly but did not check back soon enough after food was served, forgot beverages, water ran empty. Expected more attentive service for the price point. I will not be booking another party there again. I will come to dine with a friend at lunch or a special dinner though. Just not good for groups.Special Features:
- good priceBatoroDined on 10/10/2014Food flavors are no the best, cocktails are neither. Price is fair, place is new but furniture looks old and damaged.
- TKSDBlackDined on 10/10/2014our table was ready for our group, but it took awhile for our waiter to come over, my sister ordered a drink and when it finally came it was flat another one was brought out but again it was flat as well. We were at the table for well over 30 minutes before we got to order. Several ordered the steak which had not seasoning whatsoever and my jambalaya was too spicy to even enjoy. This was a birthday dinner that just wasn't as great as I thought it would be.Special Features:
- seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014I rated the ambiance with two stars, as we were seated in one of the more unattractive areas in the restaurant near the restrooms, although we had a reservation and the restaurant was only half full. The food was good but not great. The rolls were similar to those I have purchased in the local Kroger, so they were unimpressive. Especially considering the restaurant is Asian fusion. I expected a signature presentation and taste. We had two servers. One was fantastic, the other poor. I had to split the difference by rating service with three stars. I would not recommend and will not return.
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/23/2014I have eaten here many times with business associates and guests. The food is always great and service is outstanding! My friend tried the Jambalya with fried rice instead of white. He said it was amazing! Ingredients are always fresh and tasty and portions are enough to allow some dessert.Special Features:
- Great Food; Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014This was my first time dining at Kona Grill. The extensive, variable menu was fantastic and the food was wonderful. Unfortunately, we had a very poor service experience. Our concerns were extended to the manager and I feel sure that they will be addressed. I would definitely give it another shot.Special Features:
- RedRaider1976Dined on 9/20/2014We sat outside at 7:00 on Saturday night. Although the temperature was in the low 80's, the fans and the air-conditioning escaping from inside made it pleasant. We did not experience any problem with flies or other flying insects, which is sometimes a problem when eating outdoors. The house salad was ample size and quality for a starter and reasonably priced at $4. The Sea Bass was very good and reasonably priced at $24. The butter cake dessert was excellent. However, the ice cream that was served with it had many ice crystals in it from being thawed and refrozen. You might want to skip the ice cream and just ask for some whipped cream on the side instead.Special Features:
- Cynthia was greatDrKoVIPDined on 9/18/2014Our server Cynthia was great. The food was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Eaten at Kona twice. Both times were a let down. Substandard service with chain quality food.
- Service LackingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first visit to Kona Grill and we brought along another first-time couple. We were all very disappointed in the service. We had to wait a very long time for drinks and our waters/tea were never refilled. One drink never did get delivered and a couple of the cocktails were not as ordered. Food was good however.Special Features:
- Okay not GreatMetzgerZooKeeperVIPDined on 9/6/2014First contemporary American is not the cuisine, in my book. Definitely has an asain flair especially with the sauces used. Best thing on menu is sushi. If you stick to it you will be happy. Our other entrees were okay. My husband had the ribeye and it was rather grisly and tough. The pulled pork sliders were pretty spicy, and the sea bass was served with ratatouille that was so spicy that both of us that ordered it left it on the plate. It completely overpowered the fish. Restaurant layout was nice with great spacing between tables. Lots of large groups there that night but our service did NOT suffer as a result. Overall okay. It would not be our first choice with all hte outstanding restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- islandgirl0422Dined on 9/6/2014The miso sea bass was to die for! The staff was friendly and our server did a splendid job! Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BHANVIPDined on 9/4/2014At a business lunch for 3 the food was very good. We ordered a variety of sushi and salads but after our food came our waiter disappeared. We finally had to ask someone to trac down our check, which was delivered by someone not our waiter. We waited so long we finally decided to take the check to the hostess stand to pay. Our waiter "caught" us on the way out and took our credit card with a mumbled apology. I will be back with hopes for better service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch...delmardiDined on 9/2/2014Would recommend Kona Grill for lunch in the Woodlands. It was a low key yet elegant atmosphere that allowed for a good conversation. It was not overly noisy, the service staff were attentive not effusive and the food was good.Special Features:
- All good things come to an endHighlanderDined on 8/24/2014I have been a regular diner at Kona of The Woodlands since it opened. I am not sure if I was suffering from puppy love, or if the service at this restaurant has just not ever been acceptable. Either way the service is definitely not acceptable any longer. From the moment I walked in to the moment I left, this visit disappointed. Even though I stated I had lunch reservations for four. The greeter attempted to push Sunday happy hour seating onto my party. In hindsight she was probably right because this meal was nearly serve/help yourself. No plates. No utensils. Slow slow food delivery. One of the four meals wasn't delivered to the table and I had to point that fact out to the waiters. Unfortunately this was not unique to this visit.
- fantastic date night!rnorrell83Dined on 8/22/2014We our patents to two small children and do not get away much no when we do, we make the best of it and try to pack as much into one night as possible but we're enjoying ourselves so much we didn't have to go any where else! We had such a wonderful time at Kona! We were celebrating my husband's birthday and we're treated like royalty :) our waitress was classy abs efficient, knowledgeable and patient with our first time guest questions. We stayed the entire evening and had a blast. The food was incredible and the manner Helen brought several sauces to try. She was so kind and really made us feel special. We soo appreciate the excellent experience! Thank you and we will be recommending you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointmented Dinerswoodlandsfoodie13Dined on 8/3/2014We enjoyed the meals and ambiance when we dined at the Kona Grill in Kansas City and expected to have the same experience at The Woodlands location. Big disappointment! We had to wait for someone to Valet park our car, my husband's drink order was messed up, my Cosmo was very weak and almost tasted watered down, and the food was just ok. We could tell our waiter was new and inexperienced which added to our frustration. There are too many dining options to choose from which makes it very unlikely we will ever return to The Woodlands Kona Grill.
- Quite Pleased!luvmytriDined on 7/31/2014Was a bit concerned since there are so many recent unfavorable reviews. Had a group of 5. Bartenders were not overly friendly, but service and drinks were decent. Later at our table, service was good (not outstanding) and everyone was for the most part happy with the food. My dish was very good - the sea bass. Will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 77 reviews are from the Kona Grill - The Woodlands reviews archive.
- All Sizzle... No Steak!DocBVIPDined on 7/24/2014Kona Grill is beautiful! The location is excellent, the ambiance is electric, and the food is pedestrian. The sushi was lackluster. I ordered one of the signature dishes (Hawaiian Ribeye), and could not have been more disappointed. The steak was not trimmed or marinated well. The sides were cafeteria-esque, and the onion rings and pineapple on top were both superfluous and incongruent. In all, the meal simply did not deliver. On a positive note, the service was excellent!Special Features:
- Unfortunate Bad ReviewTannerVIPDined on 7/22/2014I'll have to say, most of the time I come to Kona I have a pretty great experience overall. Unfortunately this time, not so much. First they sat us in a dark corner right next to the bathroom and when we asked to be moved they moved us literally 5 feet away. The foot was good but our waiter kind of cut us off of drinks by suggesting one of us needed to drive (which we had literally had two drinks a piece).Special Features:
- Great Birthday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014My oldest daughter had been asking to try out Kona Grill ever since it opened. We decided to surprise her with lunch there on her 20th birthday. The food was delicious. Portions were decent for the price and the service was friendly and good. Overall, a great experience for our special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Service was poor (slow); food was very below average; after spending over $300 will not be back
- DisappointingcjtxDined on 7/11/2014We have previously enjoyed dining at Kona Grill in San Antonio and were expecting the same great food and excellent service at The Woodlands location. Didn't happen - service, food, and bar were all lacking. We will not be back.
- Great for nothing...dineenthusiastDined on 7/11/2014This place is terrible. From the wait time to barely any alcohol in our drinks, it was awful. The sushi was the worst sushi I have ever eaten and probably the most expensive. I think people assume if it's in a prime location in the Woodlands that the food will be good....WRONG! I would rather eat at a taco truck off of Navigation than to go here again. Good luck if you brave this place after my review!
- Birthday dinnerOver40Dined on 6/28/2014Went with three other couples.. Great food, little slow service at first but got better. But, it was way to hot in restaurant with the bar area wide open. It had been raining earlier and it turned into a sauna after. They tried to make it cooler by adjusting a/c but it wasn't much better. So overall, great food, drinks, and sweets but leaving there with my dress wet wasn't so fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CPhisownselfDined on 6/21/2014The food and service were both very good and prices were reasonable, particlularly considering the location in the waterway area. We will go back. The ceviche was excellent, as was the key lime pie. The sea bass was good but not great.Special Features:
- Why all the salt?AuditMan1Dined on 6/21/2014We met friends for dinner here recently and enjoyed it. Our only complaint concerns the food. As food is the reason for going to a restaurant, it's a big deal. We don't understand why the food comes from the kitchen with so much salt. In case the chefs don't know it, there is salt on the tables for customers to over-salt their food, it doesn't HAVE to come from the kitchen that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunchmrm1915Dined on 6/19/2014This was my first time at any Kona Grill. The restaurant was moderately loud but with the table arrangement you could hear what was being said at your table. The food was great and the perfect lunch size.Special Features:
- This is Now my Favorite Location!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I came to this location (1st time) on father's day and I fell in love!! Amazing interior design with a chic, sleek ambiance. We just loved the aquarium. Will definitely be back. Complimentary valet as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Woodlands WonderTommyDined on 6/8/2014This is my favorite restaurant in The Woodlands. Try the miso-sake Chilean sea bass.Special Features:
- Kona, just OKPeteRVIPDined on 5/16/2014We had lunch at Kona for the first time the other day. It was ok but not near as good Uni's. Food was ok, my sushi did not taste super fresh. Nice atmosphere and close to my office but nothing that makes me say man I cant wait to go back. Plus I thought it was very expensive. Dumplings alone were $10 and they only give 5. When a couple orders to share there should always be 6 to share. Will probably stick to my Favorite.Special Features:
- Disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014My first visit was very disappointing. Our food selection was Pepperoni Flatbread, Two selections of Sushi, and one kids Hamburger meal with French Fries and Macaroni. The Flatbread was highly salted and mushy. The Macaroni was watery and had no flavor. Part of the Sushi was not eadible due to texture. We were wanting desert, but decided to go home and maybe come back and just try desert by itself. The view of the Anadarko and area might be worth the second visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Everything was great! we had ordered 3 desserts and they had ran out of ice cream and because we had to wait maybe 10 minutes the manager came over and gave us three gift cards for next visit! Will return !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kona Grill is the place to be!!JianeiDined on 5/11/2014I went to the Kona Grill for Mother's day and I must say, the service there was on par! The waiter we had was very nice and he made sure that we were having a good time and enjoying our food. The food at Kona is very good and the only complaint I have is that I couldn't stay longer! My mom enjoyed her time here and we will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen is closedUmmmDined on 5/10/2014They tell you that the kitchen is about to close in about an half an hour so if you can please place your order so they can make your sushi. Ummmm okSpecial Features: