Kona Grill - Scottsdale
7014 E. Camelback Road
Scottsdale Fashion Square
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - Scottsdale
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: 4804291100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hunter Mcbee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
A word from Kona Grill - Scottsdale
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill's signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kona Grill - Scottsdale - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Kona Grill - Scottsdale reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (5)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Six for a Birthday Lunch GREAT!AprilRDined on 10/5/2014The service was outstanding. Our reservation was ready even 15 minutes in advance and the server was on the top of her game. The diverse food offerings held something for everyone and everyone was pleased with the food. Portions are generous and many took food home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPreserveBarbaraDined on 9/25/2014The food was excellent. We had the Volcano and the Rainbow rolls. Waiter was attentive, responsive, and smiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuckyDined on 9/17/2014WE LOVE THE KONA GRILLS IN CHANDLER AND IN SCOTTSDALE AND FREQUENT THEM OFTEN. MY ONLY CRITICISM OF THE SCOTTSDALE ONE IS THAT AT LUNCH IT IS SOOOOO NOISY. I WENT WITH 2 FRIENDS AND WE HAD A DIFFICULT TIME CHATTING IN A REGULAR TONE OF VOICE. BUT THE SERVICE IS PRETTY GOOD AND AMBIENCE IS TOO.Special Features:
- The following 100 reviews are from the Kona Grill - Scottsdale reviews archive.
- Sushi was an afterthoughtEatventurousDined on 5/26/2014In Scottsdale, we had a hankering for sushi. Reviews indicated Kona better than other local places. Didn't like that outdoor dining was on valet station, and crammed with partiers. Asian menu was limited, sushi selections sparse, quality good, but not creative in any way. Watched more burgers and flatbreads cruise by. Left feeling like we wasted an opportunity to dine somewhere more appealing.Special Features:
- Disappointing TimeRickTerriDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I were hoping for a reminder of our times in the Islands. This was not the case. The food was bland and uninspired bar fare. Seems to be more focused on the bar scene and umbrella drinks. Menus were sticky and we were joined by fruit flies which we had to swat throughout the meal. I was embarrassed for the server who obviously saw the flies and did not want to acknowledge them. I ordered dressing on the side (yes...I am one of those, but, nice) and received a small metal ketchup container which was around 2 oz. The Calamari came with the dredges of the fryer basket included. Dipping sauce was forgotten and then brought pout in that same lovely ketchup container. Would not return.
- Nice DinnergoodtodineDined on 5/9/2014Kona Grill presents good food presented in a pleasant way. It was a nice place to have dinner with friends we hadn't seen in sometime and enjoy a relaxing visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...TravelNutDined on 3/29/2014We hadn't been to this restaurant in ages and since we wanted to be in the Fashion Square Mall anyway, decided to give it a try for a family date night. Our server was attentive for drinks but other than that, the food courses were very slow in coming and it felt like we were there forever. The kids said the pizza had a strange after taste (and they'll eat anything!). I ordered the Macadamia Nut chicken The chicken itself was good but the mashed potatoes underneath were lukewarm at best . My husband ordered a burger medium rare and it was so rare I thought it might crawl off the plate. The best part of the meal was dessert but by then we were so tired of being there we kind of rushed through it. Should have gone to the food court.
- Unusual problemsmnfaVIPDined on 3/16/2014They had unusual problems that night. They were short on cooks and no Executive Chef. We will give them another chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome time!snookDined on 3/14/2014I went to Kona because my great grandmother was in town and we don't see her often. The staff was extra friendly and waiter was awesome. He had a great personality. I took 6 kids and the kids menu was priced well, along with the main menu. I look forward to returning to celebrate my husbands birthday =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Lively bar at happy hour. Kona has good options for sushi and non-sushi lovers. Service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly wait staffCooknDined on 2/18/2014Food was very good. Had the roast pork lion. It was wonderful! Great mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was bummed!JaniceVIPDined on 2/17/2014I was bummed because my husband raved about this spicy beef noodle dish. It was soggy over cooked noodle, salty and not the least bit spicy. Waiter was scattered. It was to busy for him to handle. It took way to long to get our order, drinks and dinner! My mojito was week and paid to have an extra shot of rum. It couldn’t be saved. No taste of any mint! We couldn’t wait to leave.
- GreatGoodVIPDined on 2/15/2014We stopped by the Kona Grill and ate dinner and watched the skelton runs at Socji. Service was good and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bang for the buckKDiggityDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I had a great time here for valentines day. They had an absolutely awesome special...lobster and steak that melted in your mouth, it was really good. It is attached to a mall so the atmosphere isn't as secluded because you can still see the mall in some seating areas but the service was great and the food was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mallMarianneDined on 2/14/2014The food was great, we had the jumbalya and macadanian nut chicken. The calamari was great. Unfortunately they was us at the mall entrance and it was great if you wanted to watch people, but I would not sit there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great conceptPete321Dined on 1/29/2014Great menu with a Hawaiian flair. Sushi rolls were great and fresh Mahi-Mahi special was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a bad experience.crkdrkVIPDined on 1/24/2014We had been here before, decided to go back. Jambalaya was the saltiest meal I every tasted. Basil Pasta the same. They brought out our meals before we finished our appetizers and took away our apps when we we had not even finished. Had to tell them to leave them. Ordered a glass of Wine, had to be 3 ounces. Smallest glass of wine I have seen. Just not a great experience. Told our server, nothing done other than, sorry. Save yourself and pass on this place.
- SO LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/26/2013When you receive a reservation, instead of just slamming people next to the kitchen, take into consideration the REASON they are making a reservation. You had two floors, it would have been kind since the reservation was made, to take into consideration it might be something a little special. Upstairs or even on the patio would have been better than next to the serving line and kitchen. Everyone else was just shopping and coming in as walk ins. We couldn't even hear ourselves talk. Terrible and trying to get the server's attention was incredibly hard because honestly, she couldn't even hear us.
- At the mallHeatherVIPDined on 10/19/2013Kona Grill at Scottsdale Fashion Square is a convenient option when you want a significant step up from the food court at the mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, nice ambience food??JoJoDined on 10/4/2013The picture on the web shows beautiful outdoor seating on the water....must be another location as the Scottsdale location has outdoor seating on the street-very disappointing. Yet the ambiance on the inside was very pretty and comfortable. Our server, Ty, was amazing. She was very friendly and very attentive. But the sushi and rolls were nothing special. We have eaten a lot of sushi and the sushi was marginal. We did not try anything else on the menu but the other food looked good as it passed by going to other tables. If we go back, we would try some of the other food. If you want sushi, this is not the place to go.
- One year anniversarydinner42Dined on 9/21/2013My girlfriend and I went here for our one year anniversary. The food was excellent, she had the macadamian chicken and I had my favorite the rainbow roll sushi dish. The atmosphere is very relaxing and lets you enjoy meal. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- I took my team to lunch atDIanaGDined on 7/3/2013I took my team to lunch at Kona on Wed. I had forgotten the receipt at the restaurant in order to get reimbursed by my company. I called Kona yesterday to see if they could reprint it for me to go pick it up. I spoke to a manager and he found my receipt, scanned it and sent it to my email address within minutes. I didn't even have to leave the house. Thanks a bunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!sushi3loverDined on 6/29/2013I wish we lived closer to enjoy the sushi more often. We live about 40 miles away though. :( The Moscato was amazing, sushi and flatbread were super yummy. Kona grill is is "must have" if you are looking for a date night and want great quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Average!1fishloverDined on 6/23/2013Sea Bass was served hot but was obviously frozen and lacked any advertised sauce. The fried rice was cold. Service was very good. Atmosphere was typical of a mall restaurant. Came for a special occasion that was not very "special" in the end.Special Features:
- Overall rating: 2 Stars FoodScottsdaleAZOverratedDined on 6/15/2013Overall rating: 2 Stars Food cost: $$$ Very Pricey, bill was $125.00 excluding tip for 2 adults and 2 teenage girls, 1 male/3 females. Very Small food portions for the price envolved. Small drink glass size, not enough room for food to fit onto table, tables were packed together, I was less than 2 feet from another set of customers (I could give another customer a back message, I was that close), no salt or pepper on the table, no water served - only ordered drinks, sugar packages had been wet by previous customer and then dried and re-used and no spoons to stir the iced tea :-(
- We're regulars at the KonaOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/31/2013We're regulars at the Kona Grill - often on the spur of the moment - never disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mother's Day OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013What a lovely atmosphere, great service, excellent food and just an overall relaxing environment on one of the busiest days of the year. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for twosushiloverDined on 5/4/2013Usually have a great time at Kona. This time, though, there were bothersome gnats flying around our table and food. The service was slow, but it was the gnats that were ruining the good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter at the time wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Our waiter at the time wasn't very impressive. I was having a birthday dinner with a group of friends and I felt like he ignored our table half the time. As the birthday girl I was disappointed because I had been to this location before and loved the waitress I had before and I love the food. The only reason I'll go back to kona grill is because I love the drinks & food. Hopefully next time I get a more attentive server.
- The fish was excellent, cookedDaveHVIPDined on 4/23/2013The fish was excellent, cooked exactly to order. The service was prompt but not pushy. A very lovely evening.
- Dining in Scottsdale, AZOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2013We went to Kona Grill (Scottsdale) for an early light dinner after shopping at Fashion Square Mall. The restaurant is conveniently located on the street level of the mall. Upon arrival, we were seated and our order was taken. Our entrees, pepperoni flatbread and turkey burger with your choice of a side selection, were tasty and wel prepared. Our waiter was knowledgeable and very helpful during our visit. I would recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner when visiting this area.Special Features:
- Don't order the sea bass.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2013Don't order the sea bass. It was the worst I ever had. When I told the waitress the bass was not Good her reply was 'I'm sorry which did not satisfy my stomach or wallet.
- Our reservation was for 13OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/7/2013Our reservation was for 13 people. We were the first two guests arrived at the restaurant, the hostess didn't even bother to take us to the table, she merely pointed the direction of the table to us. The table was set up for only 12 people and we had to walk back to the hostess station to notify her of the mistake. We then had to stand and wait for her to pull another table together. Again, we had to ask for additional dinner and drinks menu. The food was average and I think the restaurant could do better. However, the service we got from our waitress was excellent; she was friendly and efficient. We gave her extra tips for her great service.Special Features:
- Friends birthday dinnermamalyon2cubsDined on 4/4/2013We went there to celebrate my friend's 40th Birthday, and it was FABULOUS. They personalized her menu to have Happy Birthday on it. The food was delicious and so were the pomegranate martini's!!
- Best margaritas in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/22/2013Best margaritas in town. Best Chilean sea bass in town.
- Kona is one of my family'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013Kona is one of my family's favorite spots. The food and service are always top notch. Dining at Kona isn't cheap, but it is absolutely worth the price every time. The servers are extremely attentive to customer needs, which means a lot to us since my mother has multiple food allergies. Any problems we have ever had (a cut of fish over cooked, for instance) have been handled swiftly ajf with incredible grace. We will continue to treat ourselves to Kona.Special Features:
- Don't order a steak from thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013Don't order a steak from this restaurandt. No flavor but the salmon is excellant. Sent the steak back in exchange for salmon. Waitress did this gladly and had fair service. Not the place for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Valentines day. MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Valentines day. Mediocre food. Service was slow , not great. Expensive and not really worth it. Should have gone to ztejas.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2013I like their menu very much and the sdtaff is always polite and efficient.Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013This was my first time at Kona Grill. I went for lunch. The menu included a lot of dishes that are not typical fare. The chicken satay appetizer is wonderful. I could have had that and dessert and been happy. My companion had a crab po'boy that had tons of crab meat. Everything was delicious, and the service was top-notch.Special Features: