Kona Grill - San Antonio
15900 La Cantera Parkway
The Shops At La Cantera
San Antonio, TX 78256Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - San Antonio
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: (210) 877-5355
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kona Grill - San Antonio
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill's signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Kona Grill - San Antonio - Best Restaurants in La Cantera ›
Kona Grill - San Antonio reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (18)hot spot (16)fit for foodies (15)great for outdoor dining (13)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (11)late-night find (7)special occasion (6)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food!Sideburns789Dined on 11/15/2014Great food! Lots of choices. Friendly staff. The wait was almost non existing for the food. Saturday night gets very loud. Not ideal for a first date. But great for groups. Ideal for high energy peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014We went here on a Friday evening. Not surprisingly, it was a bit on the loud side. The service was okay- pretty standard. But the food was outstanding: We had the Macadamia Chicken and the Kona Filet. Both were absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Food was great, drinks...not so much. Waiter was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014Food and service were both fantastic. And we were able to sit outside away from the noise inside. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kona GrillRestaurantForensicsDined on 10/29/2014Food was wonderful, service was outstanding . Great Wine list with 1/2 price bottles on Wednesday. You can take home what you don't drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChocolateShakeLoverVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything on the menu is tasty. I love the Kona Chopped salad and keep returning for it. They have remodeled and the new set-up has great ambiance and style. Fun location any time of day. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentFamilyOfThreeVIPDined on 10/11/2014We go to Kona for decent food at decent prices. It rarely disappoints. Service can be a little spotty, but overall it's a good value.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!CrashingEchelonDined on 10/8/2014I came for my birthday dinner and had a wonderful experience. It was my first time since they remodeled and it made the place a lot better inside and out. I've never had a bad experience at Kona and they have the best Pad Thai I've ever had. They're a restaurant I keep coming back to and never get tired of the service or atmostphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureLuna78212Dined on 9/23/2014Every visit is a pleasure. The ambiance, service and food are outstanding. Has yet to disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing is an understatementTXShopDined on 9/23/2014Don't go here for conversation, you cannot hear a thing; or quick service. A Tuesday night, non-holiday visit took almost 3 hours! 25 min to get first glass of wine, SLOW, SLOW SLOW. Waiter kept mixing up checks (3 separate), not a large party. I spoke to the Mgr, said guest had waited another 20 min for dessert wine. After 2nd snafu w/checks, different manager came out, comped desserts. Don't know if it was lack of training/communication, but won't be returning here.Special Features:
- ExcellentCanoliTomDined on 9/12/2014Great experience. Bar was a little loud but should have expected it for a early evening Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but very loudMS417Dined on 8/29/2014the food was delicious as always, but the noise level from the bar filled the dining area. While the remodel looks great, you can no longer have a quiet dinner. In fact, I could not hear the person sitting across from me.Special Features:
- Party place.noisy. Poor service.NoToKonaDined on 8/22/2014Food is GREAT. Can't complaint. We had a very disappointing experience overall. Place is extremely noisy it's impossible to carry a conversation with out screaming. Our waitress was very incompetent , very quiet, never brought anything right and/or in time. The place is very pricy to have that kind of service. They need to do better job at training them. It's an open concept so you hear everything from every table plus the bar area! The music was blasting!Tables are too close to each other it felt overcrowded. This place isn't about SERVICE it's all about BUSINESS. It's good if you want to party and have good food. Don't go thinking you will sit down and enjoy your dinner and conversation with your friends and family.Special Features:
- Perfect RestuarantLuna78212Dined on 8/14/2014This is what a Resturant is supposed to be like. Outstanding service, and great food. The only suggestion I'll make is every time I go, the hostess should be more welcoming. Not treat and look at you like your lucky to get a table...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceLdachnerDined on 8/1/2014Nice place for lunch and dinner. Excellent ambient and serviceSpecial Features:
- wonderful place!melonfizzDined on 8/1/2014Food was great and service was awesome. Can't wait to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside Bar TableBB84Dined on 7/30/2014The food is consistently good. Seating is limited so make a reservation if possible, or be prepared to wait an hour. The location is convenient at La Cantera and the staff is also consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 167 reviews are from the Kona Grill - San Antonio reviews archive.
- What happened?foodiegirlDined on 7/17/2014Wow! I guess I have been away too long. The restaurant has been remodeled. I like change, but this change I think was a BIG mistake (just my opinion). The colors used to be chic, warm, and cozy. Now I felt like I was entering a medical building. Very cold, dull colors and decor. The restaurant used to be so intimate and relaxing. The biggest problem is they opened up the entire space, making it so LOUD my dinner guest and I had to YELL at our waiter, and each other they entire night. My throat was sore when we left. On a good note, the food, waiter and hostess were great. I just can't sit and have a relaxing dinner with screaming babies and people shouting all night. Sorry, ambiance is just as important to me as the food.Special Features:
- Girls night outRockladyDined on 7/14/2014We always enjoy our visits here, food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, solid chain restaurant foodThisnicknamethingisstupidVIPDined on 6/28/2014Although this is a "chain" restaurant, it doesn't feel like one. Menu has something for everyone, food is fresh, service always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi is goodAndreaDined on 6/27/2014Slightly over priced for the size rolls, but good enough to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much betterSadCustomerVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great service has returned. However the noise level is very high and sometimes I couldn't hear my husband at the table. There is no sound dampening in the open seating environment. The bar and noise is right next to your dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Hostess seated us at a table that was not cleaned yet, we declined to sit there and picked our own table, food was not good!!!!
- Good food, great serviceJungProDinnerDined on 6/12/2014Service was very attentive and the food came out quickly and without any problems. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- PATIO DININGIkeyVIPDined on 6/6/2014KONA HAS BEEN REBUILT FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW. WE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF A BREZZY SUMMER NIGHT TO HAVE A BOTTLE OF WINE AND SOME ROLLS ON THE PATIO. WAITER UNCORKED OUR WINE AND DIDN'T LET ME SAMPLE OR PREVIEW FOR APPROVAL. THEN NEVER REFILLED OUR GLASSES ALL EVENING. MY PET PEEVE IN A RESTAURANT IS STAFF THAT IS UNDER TRAINED. IF A RESTAURANT IS GOING TO MARK UP A BOTTLE ON WIN 300%. THEY BETTER GIVE US A GREAT SERVICE EXPERIENCE FOR IT. SUPER DISSAPPOINTED IN THIS DINE.
- You're better than that!!wg23Dined on 6/6/2014Bad service...good food...small rolls:( Just make bigger rolls and get better waiters...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time with FriendsChartHouseMay24thDined on 6/3/2014We had a really nice time as a group. This was the first time I had gone with more than just my husband; we met up with 2 other couples. Everybody seemed to have good time and we all enjoyed our food. We will all be going back, in a group and I know for sure my husband and I will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful timeVickieDined on 5/3/2014It has been some time since dining at Kona Grill...was amazed at the remodeling and everything looked great...remodel made a difference in the dining experience...Service was excellant as was the foodSpecial Features:
- Good bar sceneAndreaDined on 4/18/2014Although we only go for sushi, we like the atmosphere and the bar vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutmamasculleyVIPDined on 4/12/2014We met here for a girls night out on Saturday evening, there was a total of 4 of us. We were seated at a booth, which was nice and roomy. The appetizers and sushi was all very tasety. Love the avacado rolls! Our server was awesome!!! He did an excellent job of suggesting items and talking to the bartendar to create drinks to our liking. It was perfect! Delicious food, and great service!! Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good but ratherPeteDined on 2/27/2014Food was very good but rather expensive. This place is geared more to the younger bar crowd. Very loud. Could not talk in a normal voice and be heard above the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LuncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014We loved it...the food & service were great...we have always been fans of Kona GrillSpecial Features:
- Service was very disappointingMRodDined on 2/15/2014We had a 7:00 reservation & arrived early so we sat at the bar & enjoyed a couple of drinks with a very nice bartender. At 7:00 we were promptly seated in the newly renovated restaurant. After 15 minutes of looking at the menu no one had come by to check on us even though there were waiters buzzing around everywhere. I had to get up and find the manager and ask for a waiter. He was surprised we had not been served. After our appetizers were brought to us I had to get up again and find the same manager to ask for silverware and napkins as our waiter was no where to be found. The manager later came to our table to tell us he had comped our meal. Food was good but service left a BAD taste in my mouth....I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Valentines Special SteakRichDined on 2/14/2014The Valentines Special Steak and Lobster was outstandjng, the steak was a perfect cut, lightly seasoned and grilled just right, The lobster was overdone and little tough. Service was slow and apologetic. Not the place for a romantic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food great...waiter not so muchluvkonafoodDined on 2/4/2014I love kona! This was not my first time there and I was celebrating my birthday. The food was great but the waiter was horrible. My party and I felt rushed to order. He did not come check on us in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it another tryAndreaDined on 1/31/2014I've been to Kono Grill before when the food was good, service was okay and the dining room dark. However, since their remodel, the atmosphere has completely changed, service has improved and the food even better with a nice wine list. Glad we "gave it another try."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding!GracyDined on 12/24/2013The food was outstanding! The macadamia nut chicken was excellent! The service was ehhh...Special Features:
- Nice new lookOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013Only issue was after the reopen the fire alarm went off repeatedly. It was so loud it hurt your ears.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/3/2013The food was mediocre at best. We were excited to try this place because it always looks busy from the outside. We were disappointed in the lack of flavor in the pork tenderloin with macadamia crust and ribeye. Just was not impressed at all. Too many other places to go before coming back.
- Great foodFoodcritic79VIPDined on 10/5/2013Love all the the food very yummy even took some home wow over all great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.