Kona Grill - Phoenix
5310 E. High St #101
Phoenix, AZ 85054Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - Phoenix
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: 4802895707
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm Friday and Saturday: 11:00am - Midnight Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm Happy hour is 3:00pm-7:00pm Monday-Friday 10:00am-2:00pm Saturday and Reverse Happy Hour is 9:00pm-11:00pm Monday-Thursday and 10:00pm-Midnight Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful Private Patio. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Bevins 4802895707
A word from Kona Grill - Phoenix
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill's signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kona Grill - Phoenix - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Kona Grill - Phoenix reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (12)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (7)special occasion (7)hot spot (6)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good service and happy hourLuvhappyhourDined on 9/17/2014The service was really friendly and fast! Happy hour was good too. It lasts until 7, which is sometimes hard to find! Good place to go with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceJustMeVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had a great time. I find the sushi is not always fresh so I stopped getting certain fish. Salmon being one of them. It was like they went to the grocery store and cut a peice that was on sale. Nasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out and dining treat!GDavisDined on 8/31/2014With a party of 10 we were celebrating a birthday. Reservations, seating and menu choices were excellent. Every thing from sushi to flat-breads to burgers were great. Menu choices met our diverse needs. Happy hour pricing on Sunday was a bonus. The on-line reservations system is very convenient. Our waitress, Nicole, did a great job. Food service was fast and arrived quickly. She really did a nice job with special requests. Put a candle in a desert on request. Deserts were enormous and very good. Love the atmosphere at Kona Grille ... we're looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Not OKTerriwith2arfsVIPDined on 8/28/2014We had a party of 5 - the restaurant was SO loud - acoustics are absolutely terrible! It wasn't real busy (Thurs nite - summer), yet you could barely hear each other in our booth! We were as far from the bar as we could get. The food was very under par for this place. The Chili Salmon was fishy and had virtually no chili sauce, the Macadamia Chicken was saturated with salt, the sushi was probably the best and that was just OK. Our server was sullen and really didn't want to be there (neither did we by then). She kept disappearing and at one point, my husband had to go and find her. It didn't look clean and we won't be back. Don't bother with this place, go somewhere with atmosphere, good food & pleasant servers!
- Not the greatest sushiSunshyneeDined on 8/17/2014The sushi here is not really worth eating. The fish is fresh, but they fall short on flavor and originality. Tried the butter cake and it was dry and bland. Butter cake should be sweet and moist (like Mastros does it!) overall this place is more for droning than it is for eating. If you want good sushi go somewhere else!Special Features:
- Nice, fun atmosphere.VegasPeteDined on 8/16/2014We have many favorite dishes here, but the ones that stand out the best are: Passion Fruit Creme Brûlée Chicken Pad Thai Gouda Fondue (Special, may not be on the menu) Potstickers Dragon Roll Avocado & Eel Roll Picasso Roll The place has a lot of energy. Nice crowd & vibe.Special Features:
- Excellent LunchDaveHVIPDined on 8/5/2014Kona Grill is a great place for a quick lunch or a leisurely afternoon. The fish is always fresh and the service and drinks are spot on.Special Features:
- average at besttmdazDined on 8/2/2014food was average at best and the service was poor. We had to wait quite a while for our drinks and some food was over-cooked while the sushi rolls were missing some of the ingredients.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We sat outside under the misters because of the high noise level inside. I had never experienced that loud atmosphere at the Kona grill and probably would not return for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Fantastic eveningSuziqDined on 7/22/2014We had a fantastic evening celebrating a birthday. Rachael was incredible with her recommendations and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD EVEN BETTER SERVICEFoodieDined on 7/18/2014I have been to Kona Grill a few times but this location is great due to the friendly staff who make a huge difference! Food was spot on as always but the service really made the experience all the better.Special Features:
- The following 199 reviews are from the Kona Grill - Phoenix reviews archive.
- Great Happy HourCathyandMikeDined on 6/20/2014The bar was crowded because the Happy Hour was terrific.Special Features:
- dining experiencefathersday061514Dined on 6/15/2014Our waitress was outstanding. And the manager visited our table and was also very accommodating. We didn't care for the spinach dip we ordered and the manager took it off our bill.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!AdesAFoodieDined on 5/11/2014Love, love, love this place! Awesome menu, especially the sushi. Awesome happy hour menu. Enjoy the atmosphere. Great location. Prices reasonable.Special Features:
- A Nice Place for a Special OccasionMattDined on 5/11/2014Took the wife and son to the Kona Grill for Mother's Day. Nice attmosphere and a very courteous staff. My wife had the surf and turf special, I had the ribeye steak, and my son had the sliders. The food was good and the service was timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, good serviceBradleyDined on 5/11/2014The food had highlights and lowlights. The chicken Caprese sandwich was dry, but the softshell crab sliders were delicious. The kids meals were decent and Hawaiian rib eye was the star, cooked perfectly with good flavor. The service was great and the atmosphere was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too warm inside also too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Food was good but value for money was marginal Rest of my review is meaningless filler to get to 50 characters in length what a stupid limitation
- Wonderful Place to Meet ClientsbahemDined on 5/7/2014I love Kona Grill. It is always comfortable courteous and convenient. My favorite Kona is the one at Tatum in Desert Ridge. I take prospective buyers and Realtors there on a regular basisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentRider59Dined on 4/19/2014Location is convenient at City North. High end surf and turf fare with reasonable prices. Great wine list and sophisticated service. Fun late-night happy hour.Special Features:
- Lovely Day For Lunch At Kona GrillLoveHighStreetDined on 4/15/2014Perfect place to enjoy the outdoors for a wonderful lunch at Kona Grill. Excellent food and always treated as you are the only table there to serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for business dinnerDMK1Dined on 3/19/2014A perfect spot for a business dinner. The service and food was excellent as was the round table placed in a quiet spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My perfect nightsugar36Dined on 2/22/2014Was a second time there, really nice are server was very nice, she make are 13 year anniversary really specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD EXPERIENCE AT SUSHI CHAINNWeonphile1Dined on 2/21/2014We went here because it was listed as kid friendly and we had a 14 mo old. We were seated almost immediately, had good service, and the food choices were realy good. Sushi was above average and good considering we were in Arizona. Prices were reasonable, ambience was lively and energetic, and portions were reasonably sized. Overall, a good Fri Night experience. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummiCamicheDined on 2/16/2014Go to Kona Grill and receive great service and food in a timely fashion. I will return soon to this location.Special Features:
- OkVerdeVDined on 2/15/2014Mixed drinks were in error - tonic instead if soda- and weak. Service friendly but not special. The place was about 25% full on a Saturday night which says I impressive in peak season. This was our first visit there and even though we are local we won't rush back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I have eaten atxajADined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have eaten at this particular Kona Grill and others a number of times and have always enjoyed it. But this was not one of those days. Gnats were flying about the table throughout the meal which completely took away from the enjoyment. The appetizer was crab crunch roll and spicy tuna rolls. Both were delicious and fresh tasting. For the entrees, I had the surf and turf special. While the steak was excellent, the lobster was kind of mushy and discolored. Not bright white and firm like it should have been. My wife had a pasta dish that did not impress her at all. All she remembers is it was a temporary one on a special menu. The service was spot on. Will we eat here again? Yes. I am chalking this visit up as a fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kona is always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/5/2014I was in Phoenix for a work trip, and it's always difficult to accomodate everyone's different tastes- Kona has something for everyone! Great, sharable portion sizes, great happy hour deals, and delicious food! What more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food bad serviceQueenofheartsDined on 2/1/2014We had a 7pm reservation and didn't leave this place until 9:30. We had a large party of 15. Server took forever to place our order and when we finally placed the order 3 of us were notified the entrees we ordered were sold out. The food was great when it finally arrived. The outdoor seating?patio was very nice. Only complaint is how long it took to place and receive our food.Special Features:
- Food pre-preparedJamdDined on 1/25/2014Very disappointed in the food - none of our special requests could be accomodated (i.e. sauces on the side). Apparently the food is already made - which tells me they are not cooking anything fresh - even sauces are already added. I would expect this from a fast food restaurant but not from a venue like this. Also, had pecan encrusted chicken salad - which was actually just breadcrumbs on the chicken breast - no pistachios in sight. Turkey burger was disgusting - charred on the outside and dripping in grease. Maybe this place is good for sushi but the other menu items were not fresh at all. Would not return and would definitely not recommend with so many other restaurants out there that use fresh ingredients.
- Customer serviceEnjoyableDined on 1/25/2014We had come here before and it wasn't the best experience butt his visit blew that one out of the water. Our waiter was very energetic and we joked before he took our order. We had drinks and apps and then proceeded with our entrees. We shared avocado rolls which are to die for. Po boys were awesome too. The cream brûlée wasn't he best, but everything else was up to parSpecial Features:
- TopDogTopDogDined on 12/21/2013Great food and service. A little bit noisey for a big group. This place also has excellent happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Sushi in Nice SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013A nice place to shop, look around. It is growing a little. Average sushi, average service, a little pricey for the location.
- Just OKAYOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2013Food was okay, Sushi was okay, wine list was okay, Desserts were good. I thought it was a bit pricey considering everything was just okay.
- yummy.kieferDined on 12/11/2013So we came in and the girl off the clock was nice enough to help us out with a smile on her face. We got to are table and the waiter kept checking on us making sure are drinks are refilled. I don't remember her name but she was sweet making sure everything was good. Had a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Dinner after a movieWildflowerVIPDined on 11/29/2013Too bright in the dining room and too cold, we sat in the front by the fish tank and it was freezing at 9:30 at night there was no reason to have the A/C on and the overhead lights blaring. The food was good though but the atmosphere was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio LunchDaveHVIPDined on 11/11/2013We enjoyed a relaxing lunch on the patio. The Seared Ahi was perfectly rare and the chili sauce was the a great pairing. Our server was attentive but not hovering and the patio was perfect in the late morning shade at City North.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJMarcDined on 11/9/2013I was there on an obvious first date. Our server was so eager to get our order in (and they weren't particularly busy) he came by 3, maybe 4 times when we hadn't even looked at the menu. This was in a span of 10 minutes at best. I know it's a balance -- they want to give good service and not ignore you -- but when you're so obviously in conversation please give us some space. When we did order we got served promptly. The ambiance is nice. The staff is friendly. The sushi was awful. Shameful. An inexpensive bottle of wine and a reasonable number of sushi rolls and one order of sashimi-- no specials -- hit me for $90 before tip. Dry and flavorless, it tasted like the sushi you buy pre-packed at the supermarket.
- Great Find NearbygirlsnightoutDined on 9/22/2013Checking their menu, they seemed to have something for everyone...and they did! A huge plus was that they have Happy Hour prices all day on Sunday. A few in our group are seniors on fixed/limited budgets, so this worked perfectly. Everyone loved the food, which ranged from sushi to flatbreads to lettuce wraps. Our server was EXCELLENT! His name is Brian...so ask for him. The manager stopped by to ensure everything was up to par and we assured him it was above and beyond. We were celebrating 2 birthdays and the restaurant brought 2 (large) cupckes w. candles. which we shared (you really only need a few bites to satisfy). Plus, they didn't even charge us for them! We are definitely going back!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceTwinkletoesDined on 9/7/2013We had a big party (with a ton of stragglers) and our server was so patient. He was friendly and helped recommend food and drinks. It was a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Great AtmosphereEnjoyableDined on 8/31/2013Went with my wife for date night sat at the indoor/outdoor bar. Its finally starting to cool down so it was nice. The food was great and the service was better. The only thing was they were out if Angry orchard cider so I had to pick something different. will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.