Kona Grill - Oakbrook
3051 Butterfield Road
Oak Brook, IL 60523Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - Oakbrook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: 6305158395
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00am Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 7:00pm, Saturday 1 pm - 5pm Reverse Happy Hour: Monday - Thursday 10 pm - Midnight, Friday and Saturday Evening 10pm to Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access
A word from Kona Grill - Oakbrook
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade,Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill’s signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kona Grill - Oakbrook reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (50)good for groups (49)special occasion (45)fit for foodies (37)great for lunch (37)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (19)neighborhood gem (18)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (14)romantic (11)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- Food just ok, service terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was just ok. More Asian and sushi oriented than pure hawaiian which was disappointing. Their hawaiian choices were bland. Their Kalua pork tasted like a bad sloppy joe. Service was awful. Server seemed way more interested in a table with two little kids by us. Couldn't get a drink refill if we were still waiting there. She was terrible.
- ChowdownDined on 9/26/2014Service was fantastic and our table was ready when we arrived. 4 out of 7 ordered the mahi mahi special and said it was okay.Special Features:
- great for Happy HourChuckVIPDined on 9/26/2014Been here twice for Friday Happy Hour, great specials on sushi & flat beadsSpecial Features:
- SandyDined on 9/22/2014Our server Kevin did a great job of accommodating everyone. We had a large group and he provided excellent service.Special Features:
- Always goodDivaDined on 9/21/2014Great food & drinks!! Love the happy hour menu! Sushi is good, have amazing salads! Love the outdoor seating and happy hour is all day on Sunday! Celebrated my birthday with friends & had a great time!!Special Features:
- Great place for drinks and snackskepviolinVIPDined on 9/18/2014Met friends I have not seen for a while and we dined on the outdoor patio. We shared appetizers. Fun and delicious. This is a go to restaurant for me to meet friends.Special Features:
- jamessaysyesVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food and service were top notch. There was considerable noise that made conversation difficult..Special Features:
- mizzwizzVIPDined on 9/11/2014As with most restaurants today, lunch menu has become limited. However, always enjoy their Pad Thai offerings.Special Features:
- Does not measure up to other KonasBlkhwkfanDined on 8/30/2014I have been to other locations and this one was a disappointment. The service was poor and the food just ok.
- MajdonnaDined on 8/30/2014Great restaurant. We ordered potstickers and their beef bulgogi tacos for appetizer. Both were delicious. Their cocktails were excellent. For entrees we had pad thai, macadamia nut chicken, and caribbean chicken. Everyone enjoyed their entree. There were a lot of dishes we would like to try, so we will definetely go back.Special Features:
- good happy hourJoeRodriguezVIPDined on 8/25/2014patio was good food was about average service was also average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MixScottVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was the perfect spot for the birthday girl who wanted sushi, as did dad, but the rest of the family hates sushi. This was one of the few places out there where you can get sushi and a wide range of other stuff. The eel and tuna were very tender and delicious. Rest of the family reported that the burgers and sandwiches were good. All in all, everyone was happy.Special Features:
- Delish Fish!ChicagogurlVIPDined on 8/15/2014The service was exceptional. The food was amazing! Delicious lemon snapper. Maple glaze on salmon mouthwatering. Will definitely return on next visit. Thanks to our waiter Keith.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingJkup2Dined on 8/11/2014Had reservations for 6 of us at 6pm. Three of us arrived about 545. weren't sure if we wanted to be seated in the bar or dining room. The hostess sat us in the dining room to await others. Had we been offered/informed that it was happy hr in /bar, we would have sat there ,but no one told us. Last person arrived at 6 was the person who knew about that. It was a bit annoying that nothing was mentioned. No wonder no one was in the dining room, but all in the bar. And a Monday nite, there was plenty of room in the bar as well. server jay was fine. My avocado egg rolls were good,though they sure were scaled down to fat pencil size. Kinda disappointing. 2 Friends received spicy foods, though they were told it wouldn't be. Not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the best serviceNeveragainwillwereturnDined on 8/10/2014I think the service was not what it should be. When they would come to our table they would apologize and apologize over and over but that dose not make for a great dinning experience. This was my Twin Brothers 60th birthday. A big occasion for my twin and I but I am sorry I picked Kona Grill.Special Features:
- Not the best ambienceKcb8255Dined on 8/9/2014If you're looking for a nice quiet place for dinner, this is NOT where you want to go. My husband and I have been here several times, and even with a reservation, you are seated in the back of the restaurant right behind a large party of diners who are so noisy, you can't carry on a normal conversation. Food is decent, but nothing worth raving about. The bbq pork sliders I had were extremely spicy hot, no mention of 'heat' on the mention though. With all the other restaurant choices in the area, I don't think we'll be doing a repeat here.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutsoulfultDined on 8/8/2014Had a great time out with the girls at Kona. Food and service was right on point and our server had no problem with providing separate checks for our group.Special Features:
- my new favorite placekittyVIPDined on 8/5/2014If you are looking for something a little different, check out Kona Grill. Call to find out Happy Hour times...appetizers are 1/2 price. Food is excellent. Have never had a bad meal or service. The burger sliders are awesome.Special Features:
- SparklerDined on 8/2/2014I thought the quality of the food and the variety made this a place I would return to regularly. I wish it weren't quite so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot to DineFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Reservations were honored even though others were waiting. Server was well informed about the menu and various codes on it. Food arrived in a timely fashion, but we never felt like we were being rushed. Portion sizes are large - could easily be shared. The Teriyaki Ribeye and Island Meatloaf are worth a trip back to have again.Special Features:
- Great food and good wineBigT53VIPDined on 8/2/2014Service was great as well as the food. The place was packed by 6:30pm. The beer selection was extensive for a small venue. Great for a happy hour place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014The food and service was great! Our server Michael was very friendly and informative, and has a great voice. The two managers were nice and checked on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014not writing a review........................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014I thought the food and service was great, however when I arrived for my reservation and had requested patio seating, I was told it was first come first serve. I would of expected to have been seated at a table instead of seating myself. I don't think reserving a few tables on the patio for those who make reservations is going to lose customers. I was lucky enough to choose from 4 or 5 tables, but would have been very upset if I wasn't able to sit where I wanted to. That was my only complaint. Otherwise, the service was great and so was the food. I would definitely go back again :)Special Features:
- First time experience at Kona GrillKristineVIPDined on 7/20/2014This was my first time dining at Kona Grill and I dined with my family for my brother's birthday. We read some of the reviews of the restaurant and thought we'd give it a try, and we will definitely be returning. The food was excellent, the portions were good size (not really tiny like some reviews mentioned) and the menu items were fairly priced. The white, red, and sparkling sangrias were phenomenal - so happy the server recommended it. Our server was incredibly helpful and very attentive, and made menu suggestions on drinks, appetizers, as well as entrees. Everyone in our group was pleased with what they ordered (island meatloaf, chicken & broccoli stir-fry, macadamia-nut crusted chicken, sushi). We can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Great place.Foodie1Dined on 7/20/2014We dined as a group of three families to celebrate a graduation. It was a very mixed group, food preferences wise. There were vegans, vegetarians, sushi lovers etc. That is why we picked Kona Grill. They have a variety of things on the menu. The serving staff went to great lengths to ensure that we understood what the ingredients were and made great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deelish!!!MammamiaDined on 7/19/2014Double date night with friends. Ambience was nice, not too loud like many other restaurants we've been to lately. Great drinks, entrees and sushi!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a great experience!MamaLikeDined on 7/10/2014We had a great waiter, and all the staff helped each other. Great atmosphere, good vibe, way cool sinks in the bathroom! The Hawaiian Ribeye steak dinner was Wonderful, the mashed potatos unsurpassed and the lovely veggie side like a stir fry and very fresh. Waiter brought out an amazng lemon creme brulee for my husband's birthday, and I reserved online with that comment, so it was just taken care of without my having to ask there. Delicious drinks! Really great place; could add some more specifically Hawaiian inspired fare to the menu.Special Features:
- MkwojMkwojDined on 7/2/2014Go to Kona Grill once in awhile. We enjoy the atmosphere, the food is always good.Special Features:
- so socitygal76Dined on 7/1/2014The table smelled like a rotten towel and the server was slow.... food was ok - better in years past. Did not offer desert to us either.
- very good on sundayPeteDined on 6/29/2014The patio is a great place to sit on a nice day. We went on a Sunday evening where there is a 50% off menu (drinks and food) for certain food and a regular menu for the rest. We ordered off both menus. Food was really good, the services was great, and the price was right. Really fun atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Great cocktails & food to matchChuckj414Dined on 6/28/2014The Honey Pineapple Mojito was unique and delish. The Salmon entree with sweet chilli sauce was very good acommpanied with the corn and muushroom medley. Yum. The Macadamian Nut Crusted chicken was moist and flavorful. The service was very good. Our waiter was helpful in splitting our bills. I'd go back today. The giant tropical fish tanks added a special touch which made it feel like you were in the Islands. Aloha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thin fish cutsBCornoDined on 6/21/2014The swordfish was about 1/2 the thickness I was expecting and my wife's ahi tuna also was thin and wasn't the traditional cut she was expecting. Wine and service were good. I was at another Kona Grill for happy hour and it was good for appetizers so, would try again for that.
- LEFT THIS RESTAURANT HUNGRY !lpreviewDined on 6/15/2014Eleven family members, including three fathers, went to Kona Grill for Father's Day. Six of us never even got our food, because after an hour of waiting (post food ordering!) we still had not received our food or any updates from our servers even though we asked and had informed them we had somewhere to be afterwards. The manager seemed inept and flustered, not knowing how to handle the situation. She kept insisting on wrapping our food to go although we had explained we were going to a movie and the food would be sitting in the car. Ultimately she offered us some free appetizer cards which we declined! They still tried to charge the five of our party that were able to continue to wait for their food! Very unfortunate Father's Day "meal"!
- DisappointedcstillwellDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I decided to go out for a date night and wanted sushi since we don't have this often. After checking reviews for Kona Grill, we thought we would give it a try. Based on the website, it sounded as though we needed to dress dressy casual. Upon arriving, we noticed is was very casual. I thought that was odd because the menu was pricey. We thought since it was a nice evening that we would sit outside. Mistake #1. It was very noisy with the speakers blaring. We had trouble speaking to each other. The chairs were uncomfortable and the dining area was dirty. The server was ok even though we didn't see her much. The food was good. Beware of the wine/cocktail menu. Pinot Grigio is $14 a glass. We won't be returning.
- Good jobHoagesVIPDined on 6/12/2014I had the fish tacos,they were very good. Wive had sea bass that was tasty. Also had the butter cake for the first time,it was sooo good. Came out warm & moist. Raspberry sauce I thought was a good compliment. A little to much for my wive. She thought the cake was great as is.Special Features:
- Great place to eat!luvtodanceDined on 6/11/2014Great food and service, but it was a little bit too noisy for our girls night out. It was difficult to hear each other.Special Features:
- just okdinnyDined on 6/7/2014The food wasn't bad but wasn't all that great. Small portions for the money. Calamari was overcooked and very bland. Wanted to try this place for a long time and was disappointed. Will not go back.
- Too noisy to enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/6/2014The food was good but we had to shout to our server and friends because it was so noisy! By the end of the night, my voice was hoarse. I would not go back.Special Features:
- The following 881 reviews are from the Kona Grill - Oakbrook reviews archive.
- No birthday dinner.ccbeanDined on 5/31/2014Ordered Jambalaya which I have had many times before, including many locations around Lousiana. It was so hot, so very hot on the first 2 bites I considered it inedible. My brother tasted it and felt the same. I asked to exchange it for another meal. They were quite gracious in their apology and replacement; however, as others were finished eating the waitress told me it would be just another 10 minutes. At that point I asked that it be made To Go. I had my birthday dinner for lunch the next day.Special Features: