Kona Grill - Kansas City
444 Ward Parkway
Country Club Plaza
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - Kansas City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: (816) 931-5888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kona Grill - Kansas City
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill's signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kona Grill - Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Kona Grill - Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (49)vibrant bar scene (48)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (38)hot spot (36)great for lunch (25)great for outdoor dining (22)romantic (22)late-night find (20)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Time with FriendsC12345VIPDined on 8/28/2014Our time at this restaurant is always good. The staff and food is a quality experience.Special Features:
- Great food,poor service,DiningdawnDined on 8/23/2014Loved this place the moment we saw it. Cool bar , cool booths, loved the food (the meatloaf was awesome) however our waiter was horrible! We will not return
- Bad night for KonaActionManDined on 8/18/2014Our sever was new and was unfamiliar with the menu. All is the red wines were refrigerated. The manager was surprised and I was told that they serve red wines cold. I ask if the bartender was new and they said she was a veteran bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusieDined on 8/16/2014The lounge was really loud with a very sparse wine and taquila selection. Dinner was good. Our waiter, Eddie, was wonderful. Ambience could be better as the restaraunt is also loud. In general, good experience thanks to Eddie and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servier was the best part!Fantasticf1sttimeDined on 8/15/2014Amazing first time experience! The host said out server had been there a long time, short with glasses and bob haircut! She helped recommend the good and drinks! She worked 8-15-14 night! Great night overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good vegetarian optionsplazadinerDined on 8/13/2014I selected Kona specifically because they have options for vegetarians. One member of our party is a vegetarian and at too many other places the options are not exciting. The menu offers plenty of options to satisfy a wide range of tastes. The Sashimi is not exceptional and is over-priced for this market. But the rolls are good.Special Features:
- travelerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Went on a Friday evening. Hot, loud, crowded. Normally good but not so much this past Friday. I'll still return because this was an out of the ordinary experience. Great wait staff though.
- Great for lunchTNGnashvilleVIPDined on 8/7/2014Went for lunch and had the best sandwich ever! The turkey and Brie! I loved it so much I went back a couple of days later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Party of 6 on a busy Saturdat night. Food was great, service was impeccable. Highly recommend!! We will be back for sure!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The noise level was deafening. The food was nicely presented and I'm sure if you enjoy sushi, the food was taste. This is an eating & drinking establishment taylored to the younger crowd.
- Perfect Anniversary EveningRforEDined on 7/25/2014My girlfriend and I were celebrating a special occasion and ended the evening visiting the restaurant where we had our first date. The service was excellent, we were seated immediately and had an outstanding waitress. The food came out in a quick manner and it tasted amazing. We were in and out, without feeling rushed, and plan to come back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushikelcutDined on 7/25/2014This was only my second visit to Kona Grill, but it was still as delicious as I remembered. The sushi is so fresh tasting & fantastic. The only negative were the gnats (or maybe fruit flies)? I know they keep the doors open during day time hours, so maybe that's the issue. We had a few fly around the entire time, which was a tad annoying, but the food & the service more than make up for that one irritation.Special Features:
- KimmieDined on 7/23/2014Love Love Love Kona grill the food is fantastic and the service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kona Grill on the PlazaeatriceDined on 7/21/2014Came here with my wife for my birthday because I love sushi. I made reservations and was seated as soon as I met the hostess. Our server was courteous and ran down the list of specials. The temptation roll sounded new and exciting and it truly was! The beef tacos appetizer was quite tasty and the sushi, like always, was delightful. We have come here quite often and have never been disappointed with our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Am I at Denny's???frequentdinerDined on 7/20/2014Fruit flies definitely an issue they need to address. But the thing we couldn't understand was why, when the restaurant closes at 10:00, there was a massive cleaning effort underway starting at 9:00. One waitress was loudly banging her broom underneath the booth behind us and when we asked nicely if she could wait to do that, she gave us an irritated look and said "I'm done" and went on to the next booth. Really?? We're spending $80 on dinner and apparently our request was an imposition on her finishing her shift duties. As this continued all around us, we finally asked to speak to the manager. He listened, said "thank you" and walked away. No "I'm sorry", "I'll address that" or any kind of concession. Disappointing to be sure...Special Features:
- Gnats!!!!!Mlucky1015Dined on 7/19/2014There were a ton of gnats bothering us our entire meal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the sea bassUnderseigeDined on 7/19/2014Loved the food. We ordered seconds on the ratatouille! The butter cake is melt in your mouth. Same with the sea bass. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent offeringPickyDinerDined on 7/19/2014Great sushi and main dishes too! Good portion sizes and excellent flavors. This was our first time to the restaurant and we definitely will be back. The sea bass was perfectly cooked and the chicken and broccoli, while spicy, had a great blend of Asian flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome1357mjDined on 7/19/2014Our waiter was on it. Was energetic, fun and was on his specials. We actually ate the specials. It was an overall great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing OverallRoyTheExperienceGuyDined on 7/8/2014Had the chicken broccoli stir fry...accompanying white rice was an idible paste. An unbelievable amount of little gnats flying around the food and drinks. Might be because front of the restaurant is open to the street and the river just past that. Sea bass entree was quite good. Wait stuff was okay. Manager did come by to ask how things were. I told her and she comped the dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/7/2014I love Kona Grill the service and food is always excellent however the past two trips the fruit flies/gnats has been horrible. It was disruptive and annoying to constantly be swatting at them during my eating and conversation. I hope they get on top of this otherwise it will be a while until I return.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceDateNightDined on 6/28/2014We had a really nice time. The Sushi was not the best. The rolls were all falling apart. The service was great until the end. We waited 30 minutes for the waiter to come back to the table so we could tell him we were ready for the check. The service before that was perfect.Special Features:
- What a disappointment.. :(JenrenkcDined on 6/24/2014We went to Kona to celebrate our anniversary and it was a real bummer. It was really loud, there were some sort of fruit flies bugging us the whole time, the waiter we had was nice but non-existent, and the sushi wasn't wrapped really well- it fell apart as you tried to pick it up. We have been there prior to this a few times and the service is always "just okay" but usually the food is really good. I'd say this is a great place for a happy hour but not a celebration of a special occasion. We probably won't go back. Not worth spending that kind of money to be disappointed.Special Features:
- Not as great as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014My husband and I decided to go to Kona Grill for our 14 year anniversary. We have eaten there several times in the past and have always been happy. The food was great as usual, however my drink (mojito) was not near as good as it usually is. Also, we got there an hour before our reservation to partake in Happy Hour. However, after standing there for 30 minutes with no open tables to sit at, we chose to simply sit down and eat prior to our reservation. My main complaint is that there were several fruit flies swarming around us the entire time we ate. It was gross and annoying. The service was excellent!Special Features:
- Kona grillrleibachDined on 6/14/2014We had never been to kona grill before. We were very happy with the food, we had some delicious sushi and spinich artichoke dip. We will definitely be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014It was wonderful, thanks for a great night out, and for being on Open Table to make the reservation process easy!Special Features:
- I expected better.lovetoexploreDined on 6/5/2014The service was great; staff was attentive and helpful.. but everything past that was awful. The amount of noise in the building makes it impossible to hear what the person next to you has to say. There were flies everywhere, the restrooms were a nightmare- toilet paper and body fluids everywhere. The food was average- coupled with the flies and other bugs, it definitely didn't taste too great. I'm someone that values cleanliness in restaurants above other things- and kona just BOMBED on that account.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014The food was great and the service was even better. There was a timing problem with our entres coming out before our appetizer. They took them back and brought out the appetizer immediately. We didn't complain but both the server and manager apologized and took the appetizer off the bill. That's the way to handle mistakes. Highly recommend Kona Grill.Special Features:
- Fantastic!CKindleDined on 5/30/2014We just ordered off the sushi menu and everything we had was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfoodieftwDined on 5/29/2014Great place for groups. Great menu even if you do not like sushi. The rolls are always high quality. The service was a little slow but not terrible. I highly recommend Kona for their happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicebcyekalDined on 5/25/2014service poor. ordered decaffeinated coffee and discovered she gave me regular when she did not have any for refill. since wife and I were about the only people in the restaurant it was obvious she did not give me decaffeinated originally. when food came out I asked for salt, pepper and soft butter, because the potatoes were dry and unseasoned. instead of getting the items, she served others and visited with the other employees. meanwhile, my food was getting even colder while I waited. I ended up eating a good portion of the steak before she returned with the condiments. the butter was hard, so it was impossible to spread on cold potatoes. all in all a very disappointing expense. left her a 15% tip, but would prefered to have stiffed her.
- Best Sushi in KC...FoodiefamilyDined on 5/24/2014It has other good entrees we just never order them because we love their sushi.Special Features:
- Good Food, Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Wonderful food, attentive service but the music was so loud we had to shout across the table. Takes away from date night when you can't talk to your date ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not freshSeeJayFrayDined on 5/14/2014Our server was a bit arrogant and rarely came by our table. The sushi was clearly not fresh and you could tell. They attempted to mask every roll in sauce to cover up the poor quality sushi, and EVERY roll had about half a cucumber in it (probably because cucumbers are cheap and take up space). If you want sushi, skip this chain restaurant.
- Nice restaurantdocdave602Dined on 5/10/2014the food was good and the service as well. I would eat there again, the waitress should tell the price of the specials that they offer .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewerreviewerDined on 5/9/2014The sea bass entree for dinner is amazing! Strongly recommended by a self-proclaimed foodie :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DexcracerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Very good as always...salmon sashimi is my favorite
- The following 462 reviews are from the Kona Grill - Kansas City reviews archive.
- Prom NightChoralineDined on 5/3/2014The service was excellent and the restaurant wasn't too crowded, especially for it being prom night. Very fun atmosphere yet very mature; not a super fancy place that you would have to dress up for but not just another casual place where appearance didn't matter. Our waiter (Jonathan) was super helpful and gave suggestions and checked up on us often. Would definitely come back again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best placeTiagoDined on 5/2/2014Best sushi place in town, every time I go the service is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceFromLeawoodVIPDined on 4/19/2014It was a Saturday night and fantastic weather. We have dined here many times and the food is always good. The menu is varied and has a lot to choose from. The service on this busy night was really good. Our server was Rachel and she did a great job. We all had different wine, drinks, sushi and appetizers and everything was great. We will be back!Special Features: