Kona Grill - Kansas City
444 Ward Parkway
Country Club Plaza
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - Kansas City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: (816) 931-5888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kona Grill - Kansas City
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill's signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Kona Grill - Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Kona Grill - Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (34)vibrant bar scene (34)hot spot (31)special occasion (24)good for groups (24)romantic (18)great for lunch (16)late-night find (13)neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (6)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Good food, poor serviceJoshDined on 11/15/2014Sushi was delicious, entrees arrived promptly and in large portions. Unfortunately the wait staff ordered the wrong food for our table once and wasn't very prompt with bringing drink orders or gathering drink orders when needed. Also never received water which was asked for at the beginning of the meal. Besides that, very good experience. Tasty food. Good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EnvironmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014All around great environment for lunches, dinners, and meet-ups with friends or clients. Always busy, friendly, and lively in the place.Special Features:
- Better This TimeKCKimDined on 10/26/2014This was our second time dining here for a birthday ... our adult son's this time. 4:00 on a Sunday afternoon was much better than our previous dining experience on a Saturday night. The food was good, noise levels were much lower -- we could hear ourselves conversing. So for older folks, Friday and Saturday nights are not the time to dine here. Sunday late afternoon worked much better for us.
- It Was Highly RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I had out of town company, and was looking for a great venue for a Saturday night dinner, and to show off the plaza. I was a little underwhelmed overall, and wish I would have taken my company someplace else on the Plaza. On the plus side, my macadamia nut chicken was very good, my partner had pad thai which was just okay, and the other two ordered the salmon. They both thought it was good. The music was very loud, as this place draws a younger crowd. The service was good throughout the meal, but we waited a very long time for the waitress to come back to give us coffee, probably at least 10-15 minutes. I was looking for a great experience, but was not super impressed.Special Features:
- kona grillmstoifoodieDined on 10/24/2014Service was great. I hate that we cannot be seated until most of our party is there. Sushi rolls are always delicious and the avocado rolls are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDined on 10/24/2014This place was amazing! First time here, and will definitely come back. Food was outstanding, and our waitress Ashley was great. The Las Vegas rolls were to die for, and the Mahimahi was so fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodulousDined on 10/18/2014Good food, server must have had too many tables because she was gone for long periods of time. They were great in accommodating our baby with a high chair and storing the stroller for us. They got us to our table within seconds of checking in for our reservation.Special Features:
- Always dinne here!!! Love itFox21Dined on 10/17/2014Every one so friendly love the food, love their Tuna tower, bama roll, just so sad that they stop having hibiscus flower champagne :( it was our favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Food was quite expensive, although quantity was fairly large for the entrée. Process made more difficult by an online menu that fails to list prices, at least at this time. Probably won't be returning.Special Features:
- Unique flavor offerings.GemsDined on 10/4/2014Blending flavors that truly compliment the various offerings. Surprising pallet combinations that will have you coming back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014This place is overpriced and very inflexible with their sushi rolls. I go to Sake in Olathe and they are very creative about making rolls without rice that are shareable. Not so much at Kona. I won't be going back.
- A nice eveningEmptyNesterDined on 9/28/2014Just an all around nice evening from the food to the service and atmosphere. Relaxing and enjoyable. Love the sushi rolls and macadamia nut crusted chicken! Lots of great places for casual dining on the plaza and this is one to enjoy with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dress code!?ManagementNags101Dined on 9/26/2014I've always worn a hat to Kona Grill and it was never a problem. The manager was a punk about the whole situation so that disturbed me because I felt like I was treated like a kid. It's not a fancy 5 star restaurant or anything. The good is always good but everything else couldn't compare to the food.Special Features:
- Great!HillaryxfaithDined on 9/26/2014I love Kona! The service is always top-notch; not constantly circling, but available when needed. The sushi is amazing. I am never afraid to try something new because I have never been disappointed with anything I've ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014I made a reservation at Kona Grill one month before the plaza art fair for a large group girl's night. The service was poor and we all felt like they were just trying to rush us and get us out of the restaurant. Our drinks weren't refilled and we were never even offered dessert or second cocktails/wine. The minute we sat down they were rushing us to order. The food was okay. The sushi was good, but the calamari was mostly breading and hardly any calamari. They shouldn't take reservations for large groups if they aren't going to treat them like any other paying customer. I won't be going back to Kona even though I really like the atmosphere.Special Features:
- not impressedhappydinersVIPDined on 9/19/2014Waitress nice but didn't know the menu. This was the night of Plaza Art Fair so bar area load but we were seated to back of restaurants we got bothered by little gnats throughout the meal. Not a great experience.
- Impressed, but not blown awaynomnomnomVIPDined on 9/7/2014I tried Kona Grill for the first time with a friend. We each got sushi, and the food was very good. I was unimpressed, however, by the ambiance, especially because there were several flies that bothered us while we were eating inside. It also felt kind of like a generic upscale chain restaurant. The service was decent, though, and I would consider going back.Special Features:
- Time with FriendsC12345VIPDined on 8/28/2014Our time at this restaurant is always good. The staff and food is a quality experience.Special Features:
- Great food,poor service,DiningdawnDined on 8/23/2014Loved this place the moment we saw it. Cool bar , cool booths, loved the food (the meatloaf was awesome) however our waiter was horrible! We will not return
- Bad night for KonaActionManDined on 8/18/2014Our sever was new and was unfamiliar with the menu. All is the red wines were refrigerated. The manager was surprised and I was told that they serve red wines cold. I ask if the bartender was new and they said she was a veteran bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusieDined on 8/16/2014The lounge was really loud with a very sparse wine and taquila selection. Dinner was good. Our waiter, Eddie, was wonderful. Ambience could be better as the restaraunt is also loud. In general, good experience thanks to Eddie and tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servier was the best part!Fantasticf1sttimeDined on 8/15/2014Amazing first time experience! The host said out server had been there a long time, short with glasses and bob haircut! She helped recommend the good and drinks! She worked 8-15-14 night! Great night overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good vegetarian optionsplazadinerDined on 8/13/2014I selected Kona specifically because they have options for vegetarians. One member of our party is a vegetarian and at too many other places the options are not exciting. The menu offers plenty of options to satisfy a wide range of tastes. The Sashimi is not exceptional and is over-priced for this market. But the rolls are good.Special Features:
- travelerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Went on a Friday evening. Hot, loud, crowded. Normally good but not so much this past Friday. I'll still return because this was an out of the ordinary experience. Great wait staff though.
- Great for lunchTNGnashvilleVIPDined on 8/7/2014Went for lunch and had the best sandwich ever! The turkey and Brie! I loved it so much I went back a couple of days later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsChristenDined on 8/2/2014Party of 6 on a busy Saturdat night. Food was great, service was impeccable. Highly recommend!! We will be back for sure!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014The noise level was deafening. The food was nicely presented and I'm sure if you enjoy sushi, the food was taste. This is an eating & drinking establishment taylored to the younger crowd.
- The following 489 reviews are from the Kona Grill - Kansas City reviews archive.
- Perfect Anniversary EveningRforEDined on 7/25/2014My girlfriend and I were celebrating a special occasion and ended the evening visiting the restaurant where we had our first date. The service was excellent, we were seated immediately and had an outstanding waitress. The food came out in a quick manner and it tasted amazing. We were in and out, without feeling rushed, and plan to come back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushikelcutDined on 7/25/2014This was only my second visit to Kona Grill, but it was still as delicious as I remembered. The sushi is so fresh tasting & fantastic. The only negative were the gnats (or maybe fruit flies)? I know they keep the doors open during day time hours, so maybe that's the issue. We had a few fly around the entire time, which was a tad annoying, but the food & the service more than make up for that one irritation.Special Features:
- KimmieDined on 7/23/2014Love Love Love Kona grill the food is fantastic and the service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kona Grill on the PlazaeatriceDined on 7/21/2014Came here with my wife for my birthday because I love sushi. I made reservations and was seated as soon as I met the hostess. Our server was courteous and ran down the list of specials. The temptation roll sounded new and exciting and it truly was! The beef tacos appetizer was quite tasty and the sushi, like always, was delightful. We have come here quite often and have never been disappointed with our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Am I at Denny's???frequentdinerDined on 7/20/2014Fruit flies definitely an issue they need to address. But the thing we couldn't understand was why, when the restaurant closes at 10:00, there was a massive cleaning effort underway starting at 9:00. One waitress was loudly banging her broom underneath the booth behind us and when we asked nicely if she could wait to do that, she gave us an irritated look and said "I'm done" and went on to the next booth. Really?? We're spending $80 on dinner and apparently our request was an imposition on her finishing her shift duties. As this continued all around us, we finally asked to speak to the manager. He listened, said "thank you" and walked away. No "I'm sorry", "I'll address that" or any kind of concession. Disappointing to be sure...Special Features:
- Gnats!!!!!Mlucky1015Dined on 7/19/2014There were a ton of gnats bothering us our entire meal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the sea bassUnderseigeDined on 7/19/2014Loved the food. We ordered seconds on the ratatouille! The butter cake is melt in your mouth. Same with the sea bass. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent offeringPickyDinerDined on 7/19/2014Great sushi and main dishes too! Good portion sizes and excellent flavors. This was our first time to the restaurant and we definitely will be back. The sea bass was perfectly cooked and the chicken and broccoli, while spicy, had a great blend of Asian flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome1357mjDined on 7/19/2014Our waiter was on it. Was energetic, fun and was on his specials. We actually ate the specials. It was an overall great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing OverallRoyTheExperienceGuyDined on 7/8/2014Had the chicken broccoli stir fry...accompanying white rice was an idible paste. An unbelievable amount of little gnats flying around the food and drinks. Might be because front of the restaurant is open to the street and the river just past that. Sea bass entree was quite good. Wait stuff was okay. Manager did come by to ask how things were. I told her and she comped the dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/7/2014I love Kona Grill the service and food is always excellent however the past two trips the fruit flies/gnats has been horrible. It was disruptive and annoying to constantly be swatting at them during my eating and conversation. I hope they get on top of this otherwise it will be a while until I return.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceDateNightDined on 6/28/2014We had a really nice time. The Sushi was not the best. The rolls were all falling apart. The service was great until the end. We waited 30 minutes for the waiter to come back to the table so we could tell him we were ready for the check. The service before that was perfect.Special Features:
- What a disappointment.. :(JenrenkcDined on 6/24/2014We went to Kona to celebrate our anniversary and it was a real bummer. It was really loud, there were some sort of fruit flies bugging us the whole time, the waiter we had was nice but non-existent, and the sushi wasn't wrapped really well- it fell apart as you tried to pick it up. We have been there prior to this a few times and the service is always "just okay" but usually the food is really good. I'd say this is a great place for a happy hour but not a celebration of a special occasion. We probably won't go back. Not worth spending that kind of money to be disappointed.Special Features: