Kona Grill - Houston
5061 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77056Neighborhood:
Galleria / Uptown
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kona Grill - Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/
- Phone: 7138779191
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kona Grill - Houston
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Filets, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill's signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kona Grill - Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (9)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I would just say that it would be nice if happy hour drinks could be served in the table areas as well. Coming to the grill and having to wait in line turns my group and I to another restaurant every time. Happy hour would be nice if it were available in the entire restaurant. We would be able to eat and drink at a larger table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great EnvironmentepeetsDined on 8/28/2014I took my girlfriend here for a nice birthday dinner and having never been here before we didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be much better than we thought. The service from Josie, our waiter was fantastic and the food matched. I had the Island Meatloaf and she had the Hawaiian Rib-Eye cooked to medium well. Both dishes came exactly as ordered and was wonderful. We also had an entree of delicious tacos and the Ultimate Fudge Brownie as well. We went around 7pm on a Thursday and it wasn't packed at all. Very peaceful dinner which is what we wanted. We've paid over twice as much at fancy restaurants that packed everyone in like sardines. We'll definitely be dining here again!Special Features:
- I wanted more than so-soCarrieDined on 8/17/2014First let me say, the food was all delicious! And beautifully presented. Also a very attractive restaurant. As the Kona Grill, I was hoping for a more Hawaiian vibe. Not so, but I tried to ramp it by ordering a Blue Hawaii cocktail since many of their specialty drinks are tropical. The waitress asked me if I knew how to make it. Oops...let's select something else. I ordered a glass of wine. They were out of it. Our waitress was cute, but service was excruciatingly slow. The restaurant was nearly empty. No excuse for the slow kitchen. Also, kinda dead...no music at all. Usually, I want very little music or low volume, but no music seemed a big omission here and noticeable. I was anxious to try it, but feel it is on some last legs.
- AwesomeSakibombs2Dined on 8/15/2014Besides the confusion bout the happy hour sitting (bar n patio) my visit was freatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayTraceyDelRioDined on 6/7/2014this was my first time and it was my birthday. I throughly enjoyed it. I will definitely be coming back again! Thank you for a wonderful 50th birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 107 reviews are from the Kona Grill - Houston reviews archive.
- Better than average mall spotMrCake43VIPDined on 5/14/2014Was in Houston on business and needed a place that fit many tastes. Kona offers seafood, steaks, sushi, and other dishes. My chicken stir fry was excellent and sushi was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadJohn69999VIPDined on 4/9/2014Overall I like Kona Grill. Good sushi and the Island food is not bad. This time the restaurant wasn't crowded but for some reason it took a very long time to get our sushi. Not sure if it was server or sushi chefs but not good. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even with a reservation, wesm28185VIPDined on 3/9/2014Even with a reservation, we had to wait for 20-25 minutes to get a table. The fact that two groups who arrived after us (without reservations) were seated before us was also a bit annoying (larger groups at that). Our hostess had to check what our party name was twice (making me feel as though she forgot to check us in when we arrived). All of this would still be understandable if it wasn't for the fact that the restaurant had at least 10 tables empty. If the restaurant wasn't fully staffed at that time, I don't understand why. Having two waiters (from what I could tell) doesn't seem to make much sense for a Sunday afternoon. Otherwise, the food was decent at best (definitely not worth the price - sushi, egg rolls, or chicken).Special Features:
- My wife was pleased. Happy hubby.ValentinesDayDinnerDined on 2/14/2014My wife enjoyed the food. Most of all, our waiter was above excellent. The staff was nice and attentive. The place was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesometexasDined on 2/14/2014Unique avacado egg roll appetizer ! Filet and lobster special was incredible. Server was top notch. Pricing was a good value. Definitely a great experience for a picky guy like me.Special Features:
- bad servicewilsonDined on 2/14/2014It was my first time going there and it was a terrible experience. The service wasn't good at all. The food wasn't good and ordered the signature dish for the night which was surf and turf, and it took forever for it to come out. The table that came 20 minutes after us got their food before us and we asked our server why it took so long she gave us a stupid excuse that didn't make sense. So we asked for our check, and she gave us attitude. Then some manger came out to try solve the issue and we told him we have waited long enough, keep the surf and turf and give us our check. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!!!!
- One bad expirencereal2uDined on 2/1/2014For starter I brought a friend for their birthday, this was her first time eating at the Kona Grill. The waitress took too long with bringing our drinks, she did not know the types of drinks at the bar, and she did not give us silver ware. We had to ask for that. It also took us 25 mins to wait for to come back and take our order. She seemed as if she could not hear us as she took our order. We had to talk louder. We had to stop two to other waitress to ask for help. I cant remember her name.... she was Asian, Short hair, tatoos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think the waiter was inexpereinceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/11/2013I think the waiter was inexpereinced and had some missed opportunities in increasing the bar bill, but we had a great time. The food was excellent and the drinks were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and fun timesnpsych01Dined on 11/15/2013There were 3 of us and we got seated right away. The hostess was playful with us as we joked with her. Brandon, our server was excellent and picked up right where she left off. His recommendations were spot on. The food was excellent and the price was reasonable. We had sushi and finished every last bite. Very fresh, nicely prepared, and well presented. We each had different drinks. Mine were the big bottles of Kirin, so no way to fix that. One colleague had a mojito and a bottle of cold saki. Brandon recommended the saki and it was very good. My other colleague had southern comfort and sprite. She said the pour was light, but she drank them just fine. Overall, it was excellent. I would not hesitate to eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hourXtineDined on 11/8/2013Came for happy hour but the happy hour menu was only available to those sitting on the patio or at the bar. We wer disappointed by that. We had a great waiter, John, who was just amazingSpecial Features:
- Good sushiJohn69999VIPDined on 11/1/2013The food here was good. Great presentation. Service was good. But it was in the mall so not the best but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationsMomonaDined on 10/27/2013Recommended by neighboring hotel bellboy, but we thought service was slow and food was ok but not great. But they were anxious in clearing away our dishes, even while still eating off our plate. Thought prices a bit high and bellboy did tell us we should go during "Happy Hour". Note: Happy Hour prices don't apply if eating in the restaurant. You have to be in the bar area for prices to apply. We didn't see any mention if this. Also not mentioned, or at least we didn't see it, was that an automatic 18% gratuity would be added to total.
- Good food and serviceCapitanLDined on 10/25/2013The thing that impressed me most about this place was the service. Our waitress Lauren was very attentive and pleasant, which improved our experience. The food was also very good for the price. I would recommend this location to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experienceeaterDined on 9/21/2013The food was good, the service was good the only people was it took 15 min to get our drinks because there was only one person behind the bar.Special Features:
- Hawaiian FoodJunBugDined on 8/14/2013The restaurant was not what I expected. I expected more island food. My wife had grilled salmon with rice which was excellent. We also ordered the Inagi roll which was also great but I couldn't find anything else in the menu that I was looking for. I go to Hawaii every 2 years for vacation and so when I went to this place, I was hoping to find my favorite Hawaiian dish but very disappointed they didn't have it.Special Features:
- Waiter must have been newOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/7/2013Waiter must have been new because he came to our table so often that at times it was annoying. I have been to this restaurant where I had to get up from the table and find the waiter, so a new eager waiter, isn't all too bad.
- Seafood & DrinksTrueBeauty28Dined on 5/28/2013I don't often go out, but when I do...I prefer great service and food. At Kona Grill I got that and more, I have been there at least 7 times this month for meetings and its the perfect atmosphere. You can't hear everyone around you, well I'm good at tuning things out so for the most part it was always quiet! It's perfect for romantic dinners and entertaining clients!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok for a chain.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013We had our Mother's day lunch at Kona Grill. Since we had eaten here before, we knew what to espect. However when we ordered the sake sangria, the server brought a wine glass that was 1/4 full. For $8 this seemed a little small. We ask the servier if it looked correct and she said she check into it and asked if we would like to speak to the manager. I said "Yes I would". She brought the glasses back with a little it more sangria in it. It still looked light. The taste was good and we proceeded to eat our meals. Later the manager finally stopped by to apologize. It turned out the bar had forgotten to put ice in the glass which would have made the glass look approriately full. She did not off to compensate us for the bar;s mistake.Special Features:
- Cool PlaceLJJRDined on 5/10/2013I liked the atmosphere in Kona Grill and the food choices were great. The food was tasty and gave a great presentation. The only issue I had was that the server brought me the check after dinner without asking if we wanted dessert. Maybe she forgot, nevertheless, it made my family feel like we were being rushed out and we left immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great. Will be eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013It was great. Will be eating here again for our even next yearSpecial Features:
- Usually the service is prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2013Usually the service is pretty good but last night they dropped the ball more than once. They brought the wrong wine & a Diet Coke instead of Coke. The overall service was lacking, I had to ask for soy sauce when they usually bring it when you order sushi & they didn't give me a dish to pour it in like they've always done. Usually there aren't many little kids there but last night there were & they made themselves known :(
- Only complaint, expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2013Only complaint, expected more variety in the Sushi Platter to share and the sashimi was sliced to thick for my taste.
- Many better options than this ...timboVIPDined on 3/4/2013Food OK. But just not memorable. For the price, there are better options in the area.
- The back of the house hadPickyDinerDined on 1/26/2013The back of the house had some issues this visit. Two of the four entress were not prepared as ordered and had to be redone. Once prepared correctly, they were excellent. KG comped our desserts, so overall things came out fine. Service was outstanding.Special Features:
- We had a reservation but wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012We had a reservation but were seated on the outskirts of the restaurant with people in the mall walking right next to our table. It was noisy and cold. The air conditioning from the mall was blowing right on our table and we were told that the only other table that was available was also right next to the mall. The food was good but nothing to write home about. I was not impressed.
- We came in the middle of theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/17/2012We came in the middle of the day so it was pretty slow. I had the chicken with macadamia nuts which was very good, and Cesar salad. Salad had very strong anchovy taste, and service wasn't great. First, we were handed menus that were sticky and had stains on them, and our waiter had disappeared for a long time; both our glasses were empty for a while, and when he did come back he reeked of cigarette smoke. So I guess we know where he went off to. We spent $50 for lunch, for two, you would expect better quality.
- The waiter brought out appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/15/2012The waiter brought out appetizer and manin course at the same time and we needed to send our main course back to the kictehn to keep it warm. Then he tried to remove our plates before we were finished---generally rushed the whoel dining experience. The desserts are nedlessly "biggie-ized" Why do this? We don't want it. I would not go back.
- Overall, the service and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2012Overall, the service and ambiance of the restaurant were great. The prices are what you would expect for a nice restaurant in the galleria area. The only downside was the food was not quite up to snuff.Special Features:
- Our servor Parkson was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Our servor Parkson was great! He gave us awesome things to try; the berry mojito was amazing! It was my friends first time at the restaurant and eating sushi; she loved his recommendations!
- Mixed reviewExcellentDined on 9/7/2012My food was GREAT, I give it a big thumbs up! Pork loin, mashed potatoes & bok choy. However, my husband had a bad experience. He ordered the Big Kahuna and specifically requested NO Pickles. He went so far as to telling the waiter, if there is a pickle on there, he's sending it back. The meal came and lo and behold a big pickle spear laying next to the burger. He sent it back. What could you expect? I can't believe there was a pickle next to the burger when he specifically stated NO Pickle. This was my birthday and I told the waiter, no big deal, no little desert offered. Boo.Special Features:
- Great service!! It was ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012Great service!! It was our first time there and they gave us a free appetizer! The sushi was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Wonderful food and atmosphere.SNL4LifeDined on 7/27/2012Wonderful food and atmosphere. Pinnapple upside down cake was almost as good as Mom's.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2012I got a call an hour before the reservation to confirm the lunch and for the # of vegetarian menus required as I had requested in my reservation. This just set the tone of the excellent service that was to follow. The server kept on checking on us every few minutes for beverages/food. Food was served v fast and the group enjoyed their entrees. One of them had requested an egg salad and when the plates were being removed mentioned a few pieces of egg shells being present. The server was v apologetic and within a few minutes wrote off the salad from the bill. Shortly thereafter, the manager showed up, apologized, explained how they use fresh eggs, and made amends immediately with a huge cake! Kona won everyone over in our group!Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2012This was my first time at Kona Grill. The food and service was great and I will definitely go back.
- Our server was very attentive.k226VIPDined on 4/23/2012Our server was very attentive. Kona has a varied menu, with many of the dishes having an Asian influence. I had the chopped salad, which I think may be a new addition. The server said it was the best thing on the menu, and I enjoyed it. The honey mustard dressing was not heavy, but added a lot of flavor. Several at our table had different kinds of fish, and all found it fresh and well-prepared.