Kona Grill - El Paso
8889 Gateway Blvd West
El Paso, TX 79925Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Kona Grill - El Paso
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.konagrill.com/restaurants/el-paso-tx.aspx
- Phone: 9152493803
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Aveces
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Kona Grill - El Paso
Kona Grill offers diners freshly prepared food, personalized service, and a warm contemporary ambiance that creates an exceptional, yet affordable dining experience. The diverse menu includes a wide variety of mainstream American dishes, as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers with an international influence. Specialties include Baked Sea Bass in a miso-sake marinade, Angus Steaks, Almond Crusted Pork Tenderloin, and Kona Grill’s signature dish - Macadamia Nut Chicken. Kona Grill also features an award-winning sushi menu containing all of the traditional favorites plus several unique dishes created by talented sushi chefs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Kona Grill - El Paso - Best Restaurants in El Paso ›
Kona Grill - El Paso reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (76)special occasion (64)good for groups (62)great for outdoor dining (54)vibrant bar scene (52)great for lunch (43)romantic (39)fit for foodies (39)late-night find (29)neighborhood gem (19)great for brunch (18)kid-friendly (14)notable wine list (14)scenic view (9)Show More
- Great food, fair serviceingemexDined on 10/17/2014If you plan on going on a weekend night, better make reservations so you can get a table, eventually. Once you get passed the stuckup and incompetent hostes' it is a great experience as there is food for every pallet taste. Waiters/tresses are knowledgeble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kona Grill- Can't wait to go backKRISGDined on 10/10/2014The food and service were excellent and reasonably priced. We really enjoyed dining outside on a nice fall evening. Had a great European feel. Using Open Table for reservations was so easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladame630Dined on 10/10/2014Sitting next to kitchen made conversation very difficult. Drinks took very long to be received after being ordered. Dessert came out faster than a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD, VERY LOUDCarolKDined on 10/5/2014I just don't get the concept that restaurants have of playing noise, not music, very, very loud while customers are eating. Even when there are lots of folks talking and children being children, there is this unrecognizable sound playing in the background. Certainly makes conversation a moot point. Food here is good. Service is good.Special Features:
- Kona GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Location selected for food choice, sushi. Amazing waitress! First date went well. We will revisit restaurant again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern and HipDancerDined on 9/28/2014My date and I enjoyed our night out at Kona Grill. I was told that my date's lemon drop martini was not very good (not lemony enough?). The calamari with spicy sauce was appetizing! My lobster mac and cheese was disappointing. It was dry and didn't have much cheesy sauce. I had to ask for a side of the sauce. The steak and lobster roll was very fresh! Will get that next time. The decor was very upbeat and modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Food was amazing! Service was impeccable! One of the best restaurants we've eaten at in El Paso, highly recommend to family and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Had a great time for lunch with our large group. The place was hopping. I really liked that we couldmake a reservation online when so many retuarants these days won't even take a reservation.Special Features:
- Good ambiance, ok food, bad serviceMichelleDined on 9/10/2014Great for groups and get together dinner. Table was ready on time. Mojitos were great, awesome appetizers, ok entree, extra large desert. Couldn't find our server half of the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising take on foodjuggaDined on 9/7/2014The menu looks quite common...but when the food comes out it is something new! Very good Ceviche!Special Features:
- Good, can be greatMikeyDined on 9/6/2014We visited Kona Grill on a Saturday night using online reservations for my party of two. When we arrived the reservation was not ready. You could tell by the behavior of the staff when we arrived that little attention, if any at all, had been paid to the reservation. We were seated 10 minutes past our reservation time, which is not bad for a Saturday night. What did bother me is that another couple that walked in after us was already seated. So much for reserving ahead. Once seated it took the server more than five minutes to come to the table to introduce herself and take our drink orders. I ordered regular iced tea to drink and it turns out they were out of iced tea. Otherwise the food was amazing, decent service, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable experienceBombDiggityDined on 9/5/2014From first contact the service was very good. Our waiter was attentive and friendly. Our appetizers were beyond delicious. Our entree was out of this world. Our steak was perfectly cooked and presentation was on par. Our sushi rolls were a hit out of the park. The food experience overall was excellent. Definitely a great experience. I am very enthused and eager to visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favorite spotsCuppaJoeDined on 9/4/2014I decided what better way to try out the newest restaurant in town by celebrating my best friend's birthday. We started off with cocktails and they were outstanding. Tried some sushi and the macadamia encrusted chicken which were fantastic. Ended the night with a fudge brownie dessert. Two thumbs up!Special Features:
- not great for lunch.adorablefoodieDined on 9/1/2014This was my second time at Kona grill. The first time I went it was a very busy Friday and the service and food were excellent. This time around not so much. It took a very long time to get orders placed and twice we were brought the wrong food items. Although these mistakes were quickly corrected we were still billed for improper items and the waiter seemed to have a bit of an attitude when he was asked to correct it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourfoodnfunDined on 8/27/2014Tons of food and drink specials but get there early because hh gets packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi not a hit...entrees betterEM24Dined on 8/22/2014We ordered the Hawaiian Ribeye and Chicken Stir Fry. Both were yummy and had generous portions. The sushi had no taste and was a total disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUNCHtwogreatfoodDined on 8/21/2014GREAT FOOD AND DID NOT TAKE A LONG TIME TO GET OUR LUNCH AT NOON ON A WEEK DAY. WOULD COME BACK FOR LUNCH AGAIN. HAVE NOT BEEN THERE FOR BRUNCH OR DINNER BUT WILL TRY THAT TOO. KEEP UP THE GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a place to go.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Finally a new place that is not a Mexican restaurant (don't get me wrong, I LOVE Mexican food). This place brings the feel of a large city which I welcome. Reservations are a must for Saturday evenings. Love the vibrant atmosphere, service was friendly, food was good (although my order was warm, not hot). They still seem to be struggling with the big crowd, but I am certain that they will manage this as well soon. I am going to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was awfulSandiDined on 8/16/2014The service was horrible! Had to wave your hands it flag down the waiter. He never came back to check on us. Had to wait for food, wait for the check. Wait for everything! Ruined the whole experience. Awful!
- Great place.adorablefoodieDined on 8/15/2014The interior looks very much like a hotspot club. The food and service are fantastic but I don't recommend going on a first date here. It's very loud and crowded due to popularity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over ratedatm1Dined on 8/15/2014Pot stickers were very good, macadamia nut chicken was very salty and dried out, fried sushi rolls ok but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- New and HipfoodygirlsDined on 8/14/2014Kona Grill is a great new addition to the El Paso area. Great accessible location, atmosphere, and food at reasonable prices. Outdoor patio seating is a "seat yourself" option so make sure to be there on time for Happy Hour because it fills fast and for good reason. we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoredFoodie411Dined on 8/11/2014We've been here a total of 4 times and each time unimpressed. Every time had a hard time with service. It seems there were too many servers doing absolutely nothing but talking. We waited 15 minutes for someone to get a drink order while many servers passed by our tables while we were twiddling our thumbs. Food was okay, ambiance was okay.Special Features:
- Thursday Night.RgLiveLifeAndDineDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant was very beautiful. The service was great. Food was awesome. But we were seated next to the kitchen and its an open kitchen and very noisy. But over all a great place to have dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionSymiamDined on 8/4/2014My husbands birthday dinner was amazing! The food and drinks were delicious! The music was fun and our server Vincent was outstanding! We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Trendy decor & good menu choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The decor & atmosphere made us feel like we were out of town. The music was a little too loud and weird. It was skrillex. Although I'm young, I didn't think that was the best choice to listen to while dining out at a nice place. The food was great, and my husband enjoyed the different drink selections and suggestions given by our friendly waiter. Although the restaurant was packed (2hour wait w/o reservation), the service was great. Definitely make a reservation though so you won't be stuck waiting. We made our reservation and were seated at our table on the dot. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSmsantoyoDined on 8/2/2014The food was great! I had the chicken basil linguine and it was flavorful! The carrot cake was delicious as well and the piece of cake was big enough to feed 4 people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place!sistahsouljaDined on 8/2/2014Although I had a reservation for two, we were seated between two large parties. It was not ideal since we were getting pummeled between both areas. The managers and service staff were so accomodating that were relocated to a booth and the rest of the evening was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotValariecDined on 8/2/2014The ability to make a reservation days ahead of time was extremely beneficial. The service was great, the food was awesome, great variety and the atmosphere was festive and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatHowlingDined on 8/2/2014Great food. Great sushi. Great drinks. Perfect place to catch up with friends and family or business partners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very AtmosphericTequila77Dined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious and the menu is quite varied. There is a large sushi menu as well as Hawaiian inspired chicken and sea food dishes. It is great to have such an interesting restaurant in El Paso. I used to go to the one in Cherry Creek in Denver and I always had very good food there as well. This one seems a little more vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and food was so soOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Felt like I was yelling to have a conversation with my wife during the entire meal, very noisy. Food was so so. Started with potsticker and they were great. My sea bass was bland and the ratatouille had a funky seasoning. The fried rice was salty. My wife's ahi dish and sides were better. Wine was a bit pricey. Will give it another try but not impressed so far.Special Features:
- Eastside Fine DiningChenteDined on 7/26/2014Finally something on the Eastside that Hip & Cool. Great food & Drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kickin back at Kona....Luv2dineDined on 7/19/2014Kona Grill is exactly what El Paso needs. It's in a perfect location, the food is great, staff were friendly- nice little hot spot. Great for parties, to watch the game, late night appetizers, or just to sit on the patio and enjoy the live music at the Fountains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timertryingnewplacesDined on 7/19/2014Food was excellent. Ordered the chicken caprese sandwich with sweet potato fries. Sandwich was delicious and the fries were served with a tangy, spicy (but not too hot) sauce which complimented the sweetness of the fries. Ordered a drunk from the bar. Good but alcohol was minimal, isn't it always?? Friends ordered dessert. It was huge! Make sure you plan to share or acquire type 2 diabetes. Your choice! Oh and def make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedLAR3410Dined on 7/19/2014This was our second visit to Kona Grill. Our firs visit was outstanding. Aside from the slow service, the atmosphere and food were excellent. The second time around, not so great. The service was still slow, seemed under staffed. I decided to try the ribeye this time around, it was overcooked and tough, the potatoes were a little cold. I still plan on returning, but I am going to stay away from the steak. 30 bucks for a ill prepared steak is not something I'm willing to do again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANNETTEDined on 7/18/2014horrible service after i had already set a reservation had to wait another 30 min. to be seated our waiter was not helpful at all he rushed us to order and didnt really recommened anything to us, check up on us or ask how we were doing. the bartender made excusses when we tried to ask if we could transfer tabs over stating and i quote " i'll lose out on a tip if we do that" im a server and i even know that that's lack of custumer service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!NinicatDined on 7/17/2014Although it is difficult to get larger tables, the effort is worth it. We had a great experience. Save room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatTimeDined on 7/16/2014Tried this place for the first time for my birthday. It was an awesome experience. The filet was very tender and the potatoes and green beans were great. I also tried the spinach and artichoke dip and it was good also. The drinks from the bar took a little long, but they were also very busy too. The atmosphere is pretty great. The food is presented very well also. Overall I would recommend this place and I will definitely be back! Thank you to the staff for such an awesome experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!foodforawesomenesscoupleDined on 7/14/2014My husband and I went to the Kona Grill a few weeks after they opened and was seated immediately. The food was excellent as was the service. I'm sure being a newer restaurant they have a few kinks to work out, but all in all, we agree that we will definitely be going back in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.