4152 Cole Ave #106
Dallas, TX 75204Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.komalirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2142520200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday 5pm to 10:30 pm
Brunch: Friday - Sunday 10:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Regional Mexican, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Abraham Salum and Julio Peraza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: A wide variety of authentic Mexican dishes is offered in our catering menu. We will tailor the menu to your needs.
A word from Komali Restaurant
Komali in Nahuatl, the Aztec language, means Comal, the griddle were Mexicans cook their tortillas. Komali serves a menu of Regional and Modern Mexican Cuisine. Komali serves hand-made tortillas, fresh salsas, great seafood and meat dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Komali Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Komali Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (35)great for brunch (35)vibrant bar scene (31)special occasion (30)hot spot (26)romantic (14)great for lunch (11)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- YumYumyumyumDined on 10/12/2014I find myself at this restaurant several times a month. I love the food, the margaritas and the atmosphere and find it to be very consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barely okPaulDined on 10/11/2014The soup was at best warm and the fish was over cooked. Was a disappointment and we will not go back. The Service was very good.Special Features:
- Food quality vs. Noise levelprofilerDined on 10/10/2014This is a good, slightly pricey, restaurant which unfortunately is stifled by the noise level. I have been there several times and the noise level seems to get worse. Most recently, I was hoarse the next morning from screaming all evening at Komali trying to communicate with my companion.Special Features:
- Edward and SusanEdwardandSusanVIPDined on 10/7/2014This is a wonderful place. Great starters, entrees and a great bar. The special margarita is spicy, just enough, to create a different experience. Plus LeeAnn is the friendliest barkeep we've ever met!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a treat!marriedwkidsDined on 10/4/2014my family and i have started to come here. the food is excellent and the staff is above the best! thank you!Special Features:
- VERY LOUD but very good fooddustin2563VIPDined on 9/28/2014We ate brunch here today. The chilaquiles were very good and they have AWESOME chips and salsa. The taramind mimosas were good and strong. They will let two people share a carafe of mimosas. We will definitely be going back, despite the fact that it was very loud inside. I won't hold that against the restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, great margaritasLexmanReviewsDined on 9/28/2014I would try all of their appetizers together as a meal and then try the habanero Margaritas. Trust me they are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Komali's good as ever!ZilkerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Excellent meal. Imaginative, well-prepared, terrific and appropriate wine list. In sum, just as good as ever and maybe even better!Special Features:
- the noise level is unbelieveable!BusterVIPDined on 9/26/2014although the food and service were good I would NEVER go back to this restaurant due to the incredible level of noise. The bar area is open to the dining area and if it is full NO ONE can hear themselves in the restaurant. There is no excuse to design a dining area with a ceiling that reflects sound DOWN to the diners. Totally unacceptable.Special Features:
- RemyVIPDined on 9/25/2014Service was good and it should have been since we were one of only three other couples in the restaurant on a Thursday night. With the higher ratings this restaurant has, we expected the food to be better than average Mexican food, but it was just that--average. Both Margaritas, however, were great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- So yummy!Nina11Dined on 9/20/2014Came here with a group of 5 people for a birthday dinner and didn't know what to expect at first. Everything ended up tasting AMAZING! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great mealDallasdiner81VIPDined on 9/17/2014An overall wonderful experience, delicious food and great service. The guise de puerco dish was the show stealer!!! will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Food Greg but NOISYOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Love the food, drinks and service! But it's really noisy. Very hard to hear your dining companions.Special Features:
- First try at KomaliCommomSenseiDined on 9/13/2014We had wanted to try Komali for a while, and decided to go before a theater performance. It's in a good uptown location to get to the Arts District with no hassles. The food was OK on our visit - I think we'll try again to see if we just made some choices that weren't the strongest. The scallop dish was interesting on paper, presented nicely, and the scallops prepared well, but not much flavor in the carrot purée. Crab cakes had some shells in a couple bites, and were not that pretty 'golden' color when served. Chips and salsa and 'regular' margaritas were awesome, however! We tried a chocolate cake with a flan layered on top - very rubbery and not great. Oh, well! We will try this place again, and hope for tastier choices!Special Features:
- Definitely going back!diningdollarDined on 9/6/2014Loved Komali! started with excellent margaritas, guacamole, and their amazing chips. The black bean soup was excellent as was the garlic shrimp. There was nothing left of the spicy ribs and mashed potatoes on my husband's plate. We didn't try dessert - but will definitely go back to sample more of the menu. Good service. Definitely a do over!Special Features:
- Nice favoriteldaschaVIPDined on 9/5/2014Return again and again, love the creative menu selections of authentic Mexico, service is very professional and informed Owner very friendly and visible. Nice bar, and well recognized drink menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best drinks ever...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Mango Mochisimo was one of the best drinks I have ever had. Margaritas great, too, but this tops the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!TomSVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great as always! Excellent food and service, we will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Fri 8/22PPPPVIPDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant shows great promise and the food in intriguing and inspiring. However (a) the food needs further refinement - some of the sauces are too heavy - for example the Texas redfish with peaches is a great light dish but it's served swimming in a heavy butter sauce - so unnecessary and (b) the wait staff skills including English need improvement
- Fab food & service!!!linsaysgoodfoodDined on 8/17/2014Great food and service. We were so happy we found this little gem in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Komali... Just Fantastic!Cozym0nkey911Dined on 8/17/2014Had a girls only brunch. Service was great! Our server was very prompt, quite knowledgeable about the menu and very efficient. Most of all, he was friendly but not intrusive. Our food came out quickly, we tried the mushroom Crepes, huevos rancheros and chilaquiles! Our taste buds were awakened with the wonderful flavors. Chips were brought out but did not get full on them as the kitchen produced our meal so quickly! Dessert consisted of churros and chocolate, strawberries and cream and the cajeta Crepes! Yummo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good!LateNightMikeDined on 8/16/2014Abraham has it going on. The food is always outstanding and the staff makes the overall experience top notch. everything i have had there has been great.Special Features:
- Not super spicyWendytropicsDined on 8/16/2014The food was great but I would say not the spicy I was looking for and not very Mexican. All 3 of us got something different and it was great but just not what I expected since they are a Mexican food establishment. The staff was amazing and service was quick. The location was convenient but I was not impressed by the outside and would not want to sit outside because the view would have been of the parking lot and valet. I would recommend this place and go again because the food was so good and differentSpecial Features:
- Great brunchJadawiDined on 8/16/2014I met a couple girlfriends here for brunch before we had facials one Saturday. I found it on the D Magazine best brunch list. We tried the chilaquiles, the mushroom crepes, and the tamarind mimosas. All were delicious! We will have to come back with our husbands and kids next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, poor foodCriticCatDined on 8/15/2014We started with the Maracas and Komali margarita which were both quite tasty... Just be sure you don't bite into the pineapple without expecting a tequila shot! Luckily our server warned us of the tequila soaked fruit beforehand. I had the garlic shrimp which was just OK, I would not order it again... Especially for $24! My friend had the chicken enchiladas and there was a 2 inch piece of bone cartiledge in it. They did take $5 off her meal for the error. Dallas knows how to do Mexican and Komali is not the spot for it.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencedinesalotDined on 8/15/2014We had dinner for 4 on Friday night and it was a wonderful experience. The uncommon margaritas were delicious (although expensive) and our waiter led us to the right choices that were spicy and not overly sweet. The Mexican street corn was an incredible way to start the meal. The chicken enchiladas with mole sauce: wonderful! The crowd was beautiful & handsome, lively, and diverse. Abraham Salum, the chef owner, was active with our table and many others around us, and took care to make sure everyone was enjoying. The waitstaff was bouncing between big and small tables, and a major sports celebrity's posse seamlessly. The food was excellent, the people were beautiful, and this diner was happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fine In Dallasdallasdining05Dined on 8/14/2014Services was the BEST! Food was excellent! Could not have asked for a better waiter. His recommendations were right on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently greatJguemesVIPDined on 8/3/2014I've been eating in this place for few years now and the quality of the food has always being awesome. Not to talk about the cocktails variety and quality. The best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Guac & MargaritasLaceDined on 8/1/2014Had a great night out with a large group- and we enjoyed some delicious food. Their signature 'caliente' margarita is great, and the guac is a yummy way to start the meal. Nice vibe to the place, but a little loud.Special Features:
- Checked it off my listdallasdachshundloverDined on 7/19/2014Had been wanting to try Komali since it opened. Friends who had been said the food was average but the drinks were great. I had to see for myself, so we finally went over the weekend. Tried two different margaritas and both were really good. However, the food was only average. Not bad by any means but, if I'm going to pay a little more than average, I expect better than average food. Maybe I was expecting too much since Salum (Abraham's restaurant next door) is such a favorite of mine. I will definitely go back for drinks at the bar, maybe just not dinner. The restaurant itself is very sleek and has a really good atmosphere, and our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite meal in DallasFood4ThoughtDined on 7/18/2014I've come to Dallas for two weeks and eaten my way through the city at several of the best restaurants. Lunch at Komali's is the meal that I am still thinking about and craving a second time. The lump crab salad was so light, fresh, and delicious. The margaritas were great, but they have won so many awards that they don't even need my endorsement. The service was very friendly. We ate on the patio, but the inside is très chic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fanOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014Too many better places in Dallas to eat this type of food. We found it to be loud, overpriced, and the food was subpar.
- Transcendent MexicanBudman3VIPDined on 7/11/2014Amazing flavors combine to make a memorable dining experience Start with one of Leanna's signature Margarita's and allow Julio to guide you on a Tasting tour of Mexico Fabulous , canons say enough about service ,food and overall experienceSpecial Features:
- Thursday Night DinnerSharkmanDined on 7/10/2014After having read review after internet review , we decided to forgo our usual trip to Javier's and try this well-reviewed place that bills itself as contemporary Mexican. All reviews warned of valet-only; yet as we drove up, no valet was to be found. We were greeted and quickly seated. The place was less than half-full, but we could tell that the noise level was going to be high. We ordered several different margaritas and they were OUTSTANDING. The service was very attentive without being intrusive. Excellent. BUT the food was mediocre at best. Guacamole tasted and textured like mushy peas. The fish entree was well-buttered to hide a somewhat fishy taste. Portions are very small for a very high price. We're going back to Javier's.
- Over pricedBritkDined on 7/5/2014Let me start by saying that our waiter was wonderful and really knew the menu. However, the portions are extremely small and the food is over-priced. The margaritas were tasty, but weak. My husband and I each had two of their "famous" margaritas, which were the equivalent of 1/2 a mambo taxi....and they were $12 each! Almost $50 for nothing. We didn't have a "bad" experience, but we will not be returning.
- met my expectationsselectiveDined on 6/29/2014Being from Mexico City and having a discriminating taste, I am somewhat critical of those establishments in the Dallas area touting to serve so-called mexican food. Komali restaurant met my expectations in the dishes we ordered. The service was superior. Our waiter Ricardo was not only prompt, friendly and available but was the ultimate professional in his service and attentiveness towards us............Ricardo is the perfect example of what people in the service industry should be, someone whose priority is to do anything in his power to give the customer a memorable experience. Will be recommending Komali Restaurant to all my friends and associates.Special Features:
- Love this place!TomSVIPDined on 6/28/2014We truly enjoyed our experience here, food and drinks were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Chef and MenusamlVIPDined on 6/28/2014Chef Julio Peraza has updated the menu. Well worth checking it out if you haven't been for a while, or even if you have.Special Features:
- The following 574 reviews are from the Komali Restaurant reviews archive.
- RogerCDined on 6/21/2014A friend recommended this restaurant and I have to say was pleasantly surprised. The food was outstanding with dishes I had never heard of before, the service was exceptional - our server was friendly, helpful in explaining the menu and attended to us regularly during the meal. I would highly recommend Komali to anyone.Special Features:
- Nice night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014This definitely wasn't Tex Mex. I had the chicken enchilada's and they were GREAT! The margarita's were really good too! We ordered the queso as an appetizer, and I do have to say I wasn't a fan. I've never had to cut my queso with a knife before, lol. It was good, but different.Special Features: