106 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kokumny.com/
- Phone: 2126846842
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: DAILY--- 11:30am - 3:00pm DINNER: MONDAY TO THURSDAY: 5:00pm - 10:00pm. FRIDAY AND SATURDAY: 5:00pm To 10:30pm
SUNDAY: 5.00PM To 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South Indian, Indian
- Executive Chef: E. Chan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Corporate & parties.
A word from Kokum
Brought to you by the Owner of Chola, Dhaba and Chote Nawab, Kokum re-invents South Indian food, showcasing the flavors of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh in its authentic preparations and dishes. Named after a tamarind like souring agent, Kokum presents South Indian food in a sophistisated and contemporary environment with dishes that go beyond just the standard fare of dosas and sambhar. Besides an extensive wine and beer list, Kokum also features a cocktail list that uses unusual flavor combinations from Kerala and the Southern India.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Kokum reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Super deliciouspablopilotDined on 9/12/2014Four of us showed up for an 8pm res and were seated promptly. We were talking and took our time ordering. The place was packed, but no one rushed us. The food was amazing. We asked the waiter to guide us to the best and spiciest and most authentic dishes on the menu, and everything was delicious. Don't miss the dhosa-- crisp and tasty. And the spicy goat dish was outrageous. Not huge portions, but 3 apps and 3 entrees was plenty for the four of us. Way better than your average curry hill dive. I love trad Indian, but Kokum was a cut above. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service, average foodIcebucket99VIPDined on 9/5/2014Went to Kokum for dinner on Friday night. Skeleton staff was stretched thin - we didn't get the complimentary poppadums to begin with. Next, had to beg someone to take our order. Once we ordered, we had to remind them of our order especially drinks. Food was pretty average and some things seemed stale. The place also gets really noisy. Not worth the premium pricing $$$. Didn't leave a tip and never plan to go back.
- Excellent food, Service sucks!FoodiePoeDined on 8/29/2014Went on a weekday. There were just 2 of us. It took 20 mins to get the attention of a waiter when the restaurant had people only at 3-4 tables. There was only one kid who was trying to serve. The other young man (waiter) was nonchalant and made no eye contact. It took another 20 mins to get them to give a cheque and after paying for it had to repeatedly follow up to get back my receipt and credit card. It took 1hour 45 mins to complete our meal. THE SERVICE IS AWFUL! What a pity! The food is delicious! Come here only if you are prepared to wait and really love the food.Special Features:
- FoodiethegreatDined on 8/23/2014Service was horrible. They need to get their act together. Food was definitely above average. malabar biryani and idiyappam were pretty good. packed seating, commonplace in nyc budget eateries, so nothing too deviant from that
- Definitely worth trying!MFoyVIPDined on 6/26/2014I was in town visiting and had no idea where to go and saw this place on Open Table when I was nearby. I was not disappointed...my dis was authentic and tasted great.
- South Indian SurprisechefmecheVIPDined on 6/9/2014We used to come here all the time when it was Singapura but they closed and the place now has new management and a new menu. The best dish we had was the shrimp appetizer, dry and redolent of exotic spices and just spicy enough. The shrimp as main course (we love shrimp!) was tasty in its coconut inflected curry sauce. The lamb with spinach was BORING. Tough meat and no flavor. Prices not cheap but fair. Two courses should run about $30. Small but good wine selection. Service was pleasant. Will return.Special Features:
- Amazing and authenticvinayaDined on 6/2/2014The food is PHENOMENAL. Went here with a friend and we ate fish wrapped in banana leaves and coconut rice. Also try the Avial. Will absolutely go here again.Special Features:
- South Indian recommendationPokerPlayerDined on 5/29/2014A Indian friend highly recommended this place. Majority of Indian restaurants are North Indian type. For a chance of pace, it's good idea to give this South Indian restaurant a try. South Indian restaurants are known for their dosa breads. We tried the Onion Rava Masala and Mysore Dosa. Very good and it was a lot. We overdid it on the food since we wanted to try different things. Went with Idli, Chicken Fry as appetizers. Chettinad Chicken and Fish (leaves) as main entrees. Tamarind rice. Also had the moru drink. EVerything was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 27 reviews are from the Kokum reviews archive.
- mhnyDined on 5/23/2014Loved the food. A LOT! Wish the restaurant were not so noisy -- hard to talk. Will go back for the food, but why oh why do NY restaurants have to be so loud???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Everything we ordered was excellent, however, we had a large group and the food came out at different times. While wait-staff were perfectly attentive and amiable, the fact that we all received our food at different times was a bit awkward. The drinks- excellent and original and fresh, except for the strawberry margarita. Thank you for the great experience. I will definitely be back, but probably with a smaller group.Special Features:
- Food was good. Everything else meh.TheAdvocateDined on 5/7/2014First time at Kokum after reading Yelp reviews. I wanted South Indian cuisine and this seemed like the place to get it. The food was good, with a baseline spice level of mild, which has heat but doesn't burn. This was in May so it wasn't hot enough to turn on the AC but it was too warm in there for heat inducing food. My friend ordered a soda with his entree but it took asking two more times before it was brought to him. Our server didn't seem very helpful in helping us decide on a dosa, only my asking questions prodded some guidance. Service was standard in that our water was refilled promptly, food was brought out in a timely manner and we got our check with everything in order.
- JannVIPDined on 5/2/2014Onion Chili Ravi Dosa & Lemon Rice were outstanding
- Authentic Kerela cuisineJatsVIPDined on 4/30/2014Great to find authentic Kerela cuisine in NYC. This is my favorite spot now in NYC for high quality and great tasting foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great South Indian specialitiesSusanVIPDined on 4/28/2014One of the few places in the city where you can get food from Kerala!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2014expensive for lunch on the weekend, no lunch specials and portions small over rated, tried it on yelp reviews
- very delicious and authentic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/15/2014We loved it, great food, service and the wine was pretty tasty too!
- Southern Indian with a twistDasesVIPDined on 4/3/2014Great menu - almost everything was eclectic and delightful. Wine its was average but sufficient. Food was salty.Special Features:
- Went in around 8:30 on a FridaySeastar3Dined on 3/28/2014Went in around 8:30 on a Friday night with a group of 6. Made a reservation on open table, but ended up waiting a little while to be seated. The restaurant was crowded but cozy. Service was slow, but generally good overall. Food was excellent, and based on the words of a few guests in our party originally from South India, it was very "authentic". We will definitely be going back to sample more off the menu. We got a variety of dishes and shared. I personally really enjoyed the Allepy Fish Curry and Red Pumpkin thoran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great south indian gemlisaDined on 3/27/2014came with a group of six for a book group dinner. Food was so delicious! Had never had South Indian food before and absolutely loved it all. Outstanding service, good selection of wines and all very reasonable. It's a small place but certainly comfortable and love that they take reservations.Special Features:
- authentic southern indian foodJatsVIPDined on 3/25/2014Awesome food - very authentic and spicy southern indian goodSpecial Features:
- Delicious South Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Great selection and very tasty south Indian dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a wowkhaycoxVIPDined on 3/21/2014If you are looking for a traditional Indian food experience, then this is not for you. If you are looking for some of the most incredibly flavorful foods you'll ever have, then you've met your match. Kokum is truly unique and amazing. The staff is lovely and accommodating. I eat at a lot of high rated restaurants, and this one is a stand out. SeriouslySpecial Features:
- fantastic food and serviceStrawberryDined on 3/21/2014As far as I recall, this is a very South Indian restaurant. Masala Dosa, the best I have had since India. Had and excellent chicken and eggplant dish but don't remember the name. Masala tea, also the best since India. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful on recommending dishes.Special Features:
- too many choicescheesedocVIPDined on 3/14/2014This restaurant seems OK, but there are so many choices of Indian food in the neighborhood that I would want to try a different place next time. I have just travelled to South India in December, and it did not seem so authentic, but I'm no expert. The goat was not wonderful, the cauliflower flavor good, but soggy.
- Kokum offers a nice riff onDrLeeVIPDined on 3/9/2014Kokum offers a nice riff on South Indian food--the menu is varied and interesting, and the food we chose was very good though it only represented a small fraction of what's available. Service was attentive and the decor, though a little funky, felt Indian, including a nice version of the "lamp/light-fixture" motif that's definitive in City Indian restaurants. There are so many places to choose from in that block or two of Lex/upper 20s, and this is a good choice...
- Kokum ExperienceLive2EatDined on 3/7/2014Food was really good and the service too. Portions for the most part were correct.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceShaksDined on 2/22/2014Food was very good, I was surprised how small the place was considering they happily accepted a reservation for 14. They were also very nice about 4 people not showing up the day of. None of us had ever had South Indian food before and the waiter was very nice about explaining the menu to our large group. They also had a nice cocktail menu. The only downside was the size of the restaurant. It was a little difficult to navigate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Tasty!LeleDined on 2/21/2014Very different indian food than I what I'm used to and it was awesome! loved it.
- Good spotMJFFCDined on 12/21/2013Friend saw this on TV. We decided to check it out. Had the jackfruit. Good food and ambiance. Will probably go back to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously DifferentheroldraVIPDined on 12/2/2013Kokum provides the welcome opportunity to enjoy southern Indian cuisine, generally lighter and somewhat less spicey than the Punjabi fare served by most restaurants. For starters we enjoyed tasty (though slightly doughy) onion bhaji fritters, sublimely delicious marinated shrimp, and appam crepes with a variety of tasty chutneys. For entrees: curried goat was perfectly spiced though slightly chewy, seabass coconut curry was mild but deliciously full flavored, pumpkin (dry curry) and cauliflower dishes were light but with complex spicy taste. And the mango flavored desert was spectacularly rich. Nice inexpensive wine selection. Incredibly friendly service. A winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious vegetarian & vegan dishesAppoloniaVIPDined on 11/8/2013A pleasant surprise. The food was clean, fresh, and packed with flavor. The recipes use delicate mixtures of spice that add richness instead of butter and cream that is often used to make gravy's and curry's appealing. Not here. We walked home happy and refreshed without feeling stuffed. Nice fresh cucumber juice and mint vodka drink. We're going back for the vegetable stew, which was incredible. I don't give raves for less than haute cuisine and this was not that. Just plain good Indian food. But in many ways better than the more expensive restaurants serving grilled cauliflower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both of my daugthers visitedcatnip1960VIPDined on 1/12/2013Both of my daugthers visited Thailand recently so I picked Singapura, based on the Open Table reviews, hoping that they would appreciate the food. We had a wonderful meal and they agreed that many of the dishes were comparable to those enojoyed abroad. Great food at a very reasonable price.Special Features:
- I had my birthday here andOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/20/2012I had my birthday here and the team at Singapura was truly outstanding in helping me plan it. The food was mouth wateringly excellent and the portions, very generous. We had a large group and pretty much took up half of the restaurant and they were good in accommodating our group, even though the restaurant is quite cozy. All in all, every one had a great time and the dinner was a success!Special Features:
- Fusion foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012Had delicious food here. They definitely accomodate to different spice levels, if you are the adventurous heat seeker type. Tried the lamb and sizzinling chicken... amazing dishes. the chili garlic noodles were delicious. and the sechewan chicken tasted vary Chinese. Had delicious mango with sticky rice for desert. We had a great time and the service was great!
- RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2012The food was good and the staff very friendly. A friend and me had dinner there and we had a good quality time. It's a great place to dine 1-on-1 with a friend and catchup or on a simple date. The only thing that I noticed that the waiter was a bit overly attending disrupting our conversation over dinner.