200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: 4159810983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
501 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (347)special occasion (342)romantic (258)good for groups (194)notable wine list (176)hot spot (169)neighborhood gem (142)great for lunch (122)vibrant bar scene (90)late-night find (36)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (4)Show More
- Wonderful!MichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food is top notch and the atmosphere and decor is classy, spacious, warm and comfortable (luv the big chairs and relaxing color hues). My heirloom tomatoes were perfect, but I was even more blown away by the freshness of the feta cheese. My only gripe is that it took quite a while to get service between my main dish and dessert...perhaps because I was just 1 diner: if there are 2 diners waiters presume longer dinner conversations. But the service in general was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never less than excellentThomisKellarDined on 9/26/2014I arrived early this time and got to speak with my server a bit. It seems like they treat their waitstaff like kings so they really love to work there and it comes across in the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch what table you getCyranoDined on 9/26/2014We were five people squeezed into a semicircle booth that really only fit four, and it was in the back passageway between the bar and the dining room. This made our business lunch very awkward. We normally love this restaurant, but this time we were wishing we had gone somewhere else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- George is amazing guyarildojrDined on 9/25/2014The food was amazing, the atmosphere either, but the service was incredible!!! You have to try looking for a table in the george area, he is the man!!! I have never seen service like this beforeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBobbVIPDined on 9/25/2014We went our anniversary. The service was good and we received a nice table in the back. However the food was average at best. It was our second visit and both times the food was average and over priced. I had the roast lamb off the spit. Tough and flavorless. My wife had the sea bass it was better Overall experience was disappointing.
- Always spectacularBalteVIPDined on 9/25/2014..can not go wrong lunch or dinner. On the menu or the specials. They take great care of you and the food is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing birthday dinner!LoLoWitDined on 9/24/2014My boyfriend and I came here to celebrate his birthday while vacationing in San Francisco. I had never been to a Greek 'fine-dining' restaurant before and was excited to see what the menu had to offer. We had the prawn appetizer--delicious! For mains, I had the vegetable ravioli and my boyfriend had a special, a goat stew. While my dish was good (and I would definitely recommend to vegetarians), it didn't even compare to the goat stew which was absolutely outstanding! The only thing better than the food was the service, which was top notch. I can't wait to return the next time I'm in the bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014We had an amazing meal with an outstanding waiter. Loved every minute.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysray2qDined on 9/23/2014Kokkari is a fantastic place to go when you just want to have something different that you wouldn't cook at home. On this occasion we had the lamb riblets (juicy falling off the bone delicious), heirloom tomato salad, and great craft cocktails. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Love KokkariFoodieGirlDined on 9/22/2014Had a wonderful experience here. Great service, food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent Greek FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Pear Salad was excellent lavrakki fish best preparation I ever tasted Our waiter George was excellent very knowledgable charming & humerus a beautiful memorable Dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food gereat serviceSFTravelerVIPDined on 9/21/2014I had dinner with two friends here Sunday night. We were seated right away. I mention this because recently I have been kept waiting long after my reservation time at several restaurants. The food we ordered was excellent but the meal was really enhanced by our server's knowledge of the wine list and her help in matching our food with the wine.Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsjcsunVIPDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I love our Greek food and eat it often. We're from NYC and have also visited Greece and so our standards are high. Kokkari delivered. Fresh, amazing food. Dessert was outstanding (baklava with vanilla praline ice cream). Highly recommend. Would def come back with friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/21/2014This restaurant exceeded our very high expectations which were based on reviews I read on OpenTable and TripAdvisor. Everything about it was top-notch. The fact that all the dining rooms and the bar were packed on a Sunday at 5:45 (the only reservation we could get with 3 weeks notice) is a testament to the exceptional quality of the dining experience at Kokkari. We will definitely be back the next time we visit San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ethnic Food with FlairBarbVIPDined on 9/20/2014Kokkari is a beautiful restaurant, but it is all about the food. I tasted all the food at our table for four, but the stand outs were the goat stew, the grilled whole sea bass and the duck meatballs wrapped in pastry. The goat stew is not always on the menu, but if it is, I highly recommend it. It's hearty, not heavy, and has wonderful flavors. The sea bass was grilled and de-boned in the kitchen. It had simple seasonings so that the delicate bass flavor came out. The duck meatballs were quite tasty - just the right size for four people to taste. We also had a tasty flat bread appetizer. For dessert, do not miss the made-to-order donut holes with walnuts and honey. YUM! I love this place!Special Features:
- Great Place For Romantic DinnerJagerBombMobDined on 9/20/2014This place is AMAZING!!! They all worked so hard to make your dinner experience memorable! You will not be disappointed in the food quility and the service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF Best Greek RestaurantPhilyAug2013Dined on 9/19/2014Fish and meat platters outstanding and desert to die for. For a restaurant of this size it's shocking to experience such food quality. Definitely one if my top pics for SF restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 meal everLisaLisaDined on 9/19/2014Had only a few hours in SF and we chose Kokkari based on reviews and fact that good Greek food is hard to find where we live. Absolutely fantastic meal ... Not a single misstep ... Shared saganaki, fried crispy chicken livers, mussels (the size of which I've never seen before), and huge delicious lamb chops (again, those must have been gargantuan lambs!) as well as exquisite dessert (custard filled filo, a house specialty). Great wine list ... Discovered Pence Ranch Pinot by the glass and must now have bottles of it for the house!!! And finally, absolutely fantastic service from warm welcome by hostess and manager to one of the best, most knowledgable and engaging waiters ever in Chris. I'm ready to fly 3000 miles back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Birthday CelebrationBobbyDined on 9/19/2014I booked a table for my wife's birthday celebration. After reading about the great reviews online, we had higher than average expectations of this place. It definately exceeded all of our expectations! The vibe was phenomenal, service was attentive without being overly interruptive and food was great.. the meat just fell off the bone for the lamb shank! We will definately go back again.Special Features:
- Amazing lunchTootsmcgeeDined on 9/19/2014We can't recommend this place enough! Took clients here and they raved about it. Food was delicious, service was excellent and ambiance was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/18/2014From start to finish it was a first class experience. Our server was warm and knowledgeable and very professional. The quality the food was outstanding. The positive energy in the place was contagious. We can not wait to get back up to San Fran to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always!BestNSFDined on 9/17/2014I have to say, this is by far still the best restaurant in SF! The service was outstanding, food was amazing & the experience, fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeGeneralVIPDined on 9/17/2014This place is very good. The food was tasty, the ambiance great and the place very cozy. I'd recommend for special occasions or group meetingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent restaurantwallyDined on 9/17/2014we had an outstanding waiter, friendly , knowledgeable, professional and courteous. Food was very well prepared and presented. We had 4 small plates, soup, salad and a whole fish as our main dish. We enjoyed each plate to the fullest. We had a Spanish wine which was also very outstanding. Wine list is a bit high, dinner well worth it.Special Features:
- Not disappointed!jh4auDined on 9/16/2014Everything expected and more!! Try it out! I totally relied on trip advisor rating as I had never heard of thee restaurant. Reservation was late due to availability. We arrived approx hour early and they got us in fairly quickly. Everything we had from appetizer to salad to main dish was superb! Oh, and topping off with the donuts was "sweet"! The service was very attentive. As. A definite restaurant worth repeating on a return visit to San Francisco. Very convenient to financial district but worth a taxi or bus ride from anywhere in the city!Special Features:
- LandTDined on 9/16/2014We had to wait more than 20 minutes even tough we had a reservation.Special Features:
- lagriega5Dined on 9/16/2014As always, Kokkari is fabulous. Have been going there since they opened. BRAVO.Special Features:
- WonderfulMelindaDined on 9/15/2014Excellent service and the food is very good. Wonderful lamb and yummy desserts. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!MicheleDined on 9/15/2014We always eat at Kokkari when we are in the City. Food is fantastic and always consistent . Service and ambiance cannot be beat. We love the lamb chops, Horta, octopus and desserts. We recommend Kokkari all the time.Special Features:
- A bad service can ruined it for usJasonVIPDined on 9/14/2014We've been to Kokkari so many times before and had the SAME server over and over! Guess we were spoiled by his knowledge and service till we were served by a different server( Davide) this time. Since we go there often, we are very familiar with the menu so we knew what we wanted! The server is no where to be found! At times I could see him walking around(not serving others but I guess checking his sales as he was always by the computer) and had to flag him down. During the entire dinner, he stopped by our table 3 times!To take the order, to bring the check and to come back and ask if we were okay with everything( we tipped 10%) He also gave us an attitude at the end!Tipping is NOT mandatory specially if you don't service your clients!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT....LockportLisaDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant is #1 on trip advisor! The food was authentic greek with a few twists. The atmosphere is rustic, sheek and very comfortable, we flet welcome the minute we walked in. We had a reservation and were seated immediately. Our waiter was Josh and he was great.....a true professional! We ordered a white Greek wine and was told it was from a monastery in Greece made by munks...I had a few more questions about the wine and Josh sent the owner to our table! He stopped by a few other times to check on us....just a great place while in San Fran!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kokari'sMarcelleDined on 9/14/2014The best Greek food in the Bay Area. Our waiter was fabulous & the food was delicious . Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- perfect vege and fishes grillYoshiDined on 9/13/2014all the dishes were perfect especially artichokes with greek yogurt as well as grilled fishes. strongly recommend greek wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KokkariUCJacDined on 9/13/2014Would definitely go back! We enjoyed all of our food and the service is a cut above. The smells emanating from the kitchen when you first walk in have such a warm, comforting effect. I felt like I was at home during Thanksgiving!Special Features:
- Good, not excellenttzatzikifanDined on 9/12/2014We expected a lot of Kokkari, being at the top of at least one SF restaurant list. The service was indeed excellent, and an impressive wine list they have. But, in our modest opinion, the food was only between ok and good. The tzatziki should have tasted more of mint and less of dill and the (c)horiatiki was a bit disappointing as well. The lamb souvlaki was well cooked and tasty, but the meat was suboptimal, with tendons and other stuff the knife could not deal with. A couple of days later, we had virtually the same food at Taverna Tony in Malibu and that was clearly better, on all counts: tzatziki, horiatiki and lamb souvlaki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelente reataurantPatriciaDined on 9/12/2014Delicious food and service. We had the Fish and Manu apetizer disher all of They deliciosas. The balde cheese wonderfull. Was a pleasure to go. We will be back for sure. It was a bithday of oír son and They send a dessert, e hice was Aldo very good.
- TimelessOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014I hadn't been to Kokkari in several years, and recently went there with two other people. I remember Kokkari being a very good restaurant, but now I'd have to put it at the top of my list. It's great to see a restaurant last, and no small feat for restauranteurs in SF. Kokkari has a wonderful patina, and the decor and staff exude confidence in knowing that your experience will be memorable. The peach and fig salad was a great start to this excellent meal. A fellow diner had the watermelon salad which looked equally delicious. For my entree, I had the lamb souvlaki and enjoyed every bite. The service was attentive, patient, and thoughtful. A shear delight, make sure Kokkari is on your list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could be friendlierDineODined on 9/11/2014Hostesses are not friendly and Do not greet you with warmth. The wait staff is slow and do not seem like they enjoy their job. The menu is fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing meallambadakingDined on 9/10/2014great dining experience. if you like lamb, this is the one restaurant that gives you plenty of choices and they know how to cook it!!Special Features:
- Service with a smileOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014We were immediatly seated by a hostess & a waitress that introduced herself and took our drink order right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.