200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: 4159810983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
475 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (329)fit for foodies (324)romantic (249)good for groups (180)notable wine list (178)hot spot (158)neighborhood gem (131)great for lunch (118)vibrant bar scene (84)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (19)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (5)Show More
- A bad service can ruined it for usJasonVIPDined on 9/14/2014We've been to Kokkari so many times before and had the SAME server over and over! Guess we were spoiled by his knowledge and service till we were served by a different server( Davide) this time. Since we go there often, we are very familiar with the menu so we knew what we wanted! The server is no where to be found! At times I could see him walking around(not serving others but I guess checking his sales as he was always by the computer) and had to flag him down. During the entire dinner, he stopped by our table 3 times!To take the order, to bring the check and to come back and ask if we were okay with everything( we tipped 10%) He also gave us an attitude at the end!Tipping is NOT mandatory specially if you don't service your clients!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kokari'sMarcelleDined on 9/14/2014The best Greek food in the Bay Area. Our waiter was fabulous & the food was delicious . Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- perfect vege and fishes grillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014all the dishes were perfect especially artichokes with greek yogurt as well as grilled fishes. strongly recommend greek wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KokkariUCJacDined on 9/13/2014Would definitely go back! We enjoyed all of our food and the service is a cut above. The smells emanating from the kitchen when you first walk in have such a warm, comforting effect. I felt like I was at home during Thanksgiving!Special Features:
- Excelente reataurantPatriciaDined on 9/12/2014Delicious food and service. We had the Fish and Manu apetizer disher all of They deliciosas. The balde cheese wonderfull. Was a pleasure to go. We will be back for sure. It was a bithday of oír son and They send a dessert, e hice was Aldo very good.
- TimelessOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014I hadn't been to Kokkari in several years, and recently went there with two other people. I remember Kokkari being a very good restaurant, but now I'd have to put it at the top of my list. It's great to see a restaurant last, and no small feat for restauranteurs in SF. Kokkari has a wonderful patina, and the decor and staff exude confidence in knowing that your experience will be memorable. The peach and fig salad was a great start to this excellent meal. A fellow diner had the watermelon salad which looked equally delicious. For my entree, I had the lamb souvlaki and enjoyed every bite. The service was attentive, patient, and thoughtful. A shear delight, make sure Kokkari is on your list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could be friendlierOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014Hostesses are not friendly and Do not greet you with warmth. The wait staff is slow and do not seem like they enjoy their job. The menu is fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing meallambadakingDined on 9/10/2014great dining experience. if you like lamb, this is the one restaurant that gives you plenty of choices and they know how to cook it!!Special Features:
- Service with a smileOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014We were immediatly seated by a hostess & a waitress that introduced herself and took our drink order right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KokkariFECLDined on 9/8/2014Fabulous is all I have to say, thank you for the unique cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VinalDined on 9/8/2014The food was so very flavorful. Very busy, just slightly crowded. Best choice we could have made while in SF.Special Features:
- Best taste in San Franciscokareen972Dined on 9/8/2014Le meilleur diner que nous ayons fait à San Francisco. Ce restaurant vaut les meilleures tables étoilées et le carte des vins est fantastique. Le service est très bien quoiqu'un peu guindé. Le lieu est un peu bruyant. Dans l'ensemble, à ne pas manquer !!Special Features:
- High quality Greek-AmericanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Kokkari is a very pleasant restaurant in the $80-$100 per person range. The décor is very nice. The food is very good -- mostly Greek but the menu includes several items that are basically American. The food choices emphasize large portions of meat. The wine menu is more Californian than Greek, but it does include some excellent Greek wines. Service is excellent. The larger back room is too noisy for my taste, but the front room may be quieter.Special Features:
- KokkariOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Great decor and ambience. The first course, grilled octopus salad, was very good. The lamb hamburger (rare) with French fries was not good: The taste: The lamb was cold. The presentation: Disappointing-Lamb squeezed between pita bread with a hint of tsaziki (I can get that at any gyros place)--too many French fries overwhelming the plate--made it look like a fast food dish. Even a sprig of mint would have added some interest. Service was good, but I don't understand why wait persons have to interrupt a conversation to ask if everything is ok. A rue professional should be able to tell from observation if there is an issue.Special Features:
- Amaze-balls BirthdayMamamoDined on 9/7/2014I had an amazing birthday dinner with 7 of my closest friends at Kokkari. The service was incredible, even with our rowdy bunch. The sommelier is spot on in his recommendations (and really handsome to boot). We ended up ordering dozens of appetizers and then were so full we just order two salads and two entrees to share. It worked out perfect and we got to try so many of the delicious small plates. Everybody was thrilled by the complex and uniquely flavored dishes, which was interesting because Mediterranean has very typical flavors- beet salad, goat stew, meatballs, yum! Desserts were delicious- they brought out a flourless chocolate cake for my birthday and we also ordered the bread pudding and ice cream- I'd recommend them allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsZismanDined on 9/5/2014I was introduced to Kokkari about 6 months ago and I have tried to get there as often as possible, bringing a new person with me every time. I really like to see people enjoy the food for the first time and it never fails. The experience is always amazing and I will be going here and singing its praises for years to come.Special Features:
- Great restaurantMrKeyDined on 9/5/2014We have been customers since Kokkari opened and have always had an excellent experience. The lamb chops are to die for.Special Features:
- Fantastic!LagunaganderDined on 9/4/2014Had to wait 3 days for availability, but well worth the wait! The food was amazing! The giant beans was a great starter choice and the moussaka was the best I've ever had. Great place.Special Features:
- city hall post wedding lunchcombizsDined on 9/4/2014ordered almost everything on the menu family-style and it was AMAZING!!! highly recommend the grilled octopus, baked feta if you're having a hard time deciding on appetizers. salmon or chicken skewers were a couple of my favorite during the main mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingKittyMommaVIPDined on 9/4/2014Kokkari never fails to deliver. The food is always delicious and the service superb. Our waiter suggested the Greek fish and it was prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- WonderfulFarmBoyDined on 9/3/2014I always eat at Kokkari when I visit SF. Make reservations way ahead of time, hard to get a table or a spot at the barSpecial Features:
- A Must ExperienceGeorgiaVIPDined on 9/3/2014We went to celebrate our anniversary and our friend's birthday. Made reservations and were immediately seated. We had a WONDERFUL and energetic waiter, Michael. Most of the dishes we felt were delicious: lamb shank, moussaka, octopus, calamari. We were disappointed with the rotisserie of the evening which was lamb, felt it very bland in taste. Delicious dessert we shared (so full, took food home)-nicely presented for the celebrations but I did feel they should have comped the dessert--good will!! All in all a memorable place to celebrate.Special Features:
- Well worth the early reservation!servicemattersDined on 9/3/2014We were visiting San Francisco for a short holiday, after reading other reviews decided to try Kokkari Estiatorio. Our choices were 5:30 p.m. or 9 p.m., we don't like eating really late so we settled for the 5 p.m. So worth the early sitting. The ambiance is so warm and cozy, almost like sitting in someone's kitchen. The food was divine! We started with the chicken livers, crispy yet still soft in the center so they melt in your mouth. My husband had the rotisserie lamb and I had the branzino. Very subtle flavors on both, we kept sharing portions back and forth. Our server was very friendly and helpful, even had happy birthday written on our dessert place. A place we will definitely return to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, just pure awesome!NikosDined on 9/2/2014I have been there ever since I have been coming to San Francisco since 2011 and every year since and rate it highly. I have told many friends of my experience of going there and tell them it is the best restaurant l have been to with so many great characteristics that l cannot fathom to write. Pure awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor experiencesanfran3Dined on 9/2/2014Sorry but this restaurant came recommended but our experience was far from that. We were put at a table right next to a 40th birthday party of 20+ people which meant we couldn't hear each other and felt we wanted to leave from the moment we sat down. Compared to our generally British taste all the food was dry and overcooked with little taste. The staff who clearly felt embarrassed about the table we were sat at tried all they could to please which was appreciated, however our one special night out in San Fran was ruined, sadly I would not recommend.
- A LA GRECCAALANTDined on 9/2/2014Exceeded my expectations. We ordered Family style, sharing mezze's and entre's. Plenty to choose from for ALL diets!. Absolutely Lovely ambience. We sat in front of the Hearth with the chicken on the spit! Everyone raved. We will return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014What a great night . Took my son to Kokkari for his 18th birthday and we were both very impressed with the food, service and atmosphere. top to bottom a great experience. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointingebfoodieDined on 9/2/2014The service, atmosphere and food are outstanding. My only issue as with many places is some tables are a little too close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BeejDined on 9/2/2014Excellent, food, service and very friendly staff. The roasted lamb over the fire is wonderful, full of flavor, moist and tender. The zucchini cakes are fresh, crisp and a must to try. The house wine Cab Sav was smooth and perfect with my lamb shank. Highly recommend eating here, don't rush your evening, savor the food. You must book!Special Features:
- Among the bestWelchmanDined on 9/2/2014We had a delightful dinner and lunch our last two visits. Food is outstanding and the menu has dishes for everyone. The small plates are to die for and the entrees were exceptional. Decor and atmosphere are perfect and the service is friendly, knowledgeable and caring. This is among the best restaurants in our opinion and definitely the best Greek restaurant by far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoJpfoodieDined on 9/2/2014We didn't make reservations far enough in advance for an evening meal, but got in for lunch. It was outstanding - lamb skewers were delectable (so tender and flavor was outstanding) as we're the chicken. Everything was above and beyond, ingredients so fresh and of excellent quality. There is a reason they are in the number one position on so any lists. Atmosphere was very nice as well. At lunch most folks were dressed in work attire -- I was expecting more a more casual group. At night you may require more than jeans and t-shirts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!GilbertoDined on 9/2/2014The food its so great,service everything it so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobynDined on 8/31/2014We have been to Greek restaurants all over the world and this is the best of all!Special Features:
- Did not disappointpatoloucoDined on 8/31/2014We went into Kokkari with high expectations and it did not disappoint. The ambiance was like another world - very romantic and cozy. The service was excellent and the food was very good. Anyone visiting San Francisco should definitely visit this place.Special Features:
- Delicious, classy, and friendlyTiffanyDined on 8/31/2014Such simple but bright and vibrant flavors from every dish. A very nice atmosphere that isn't pretentious. A must-go with a desire to return as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Great Greek!LuvflavorDined on 8/29/2014Great presentation. Had the lamb skewer, it was fun to watch them 'pull it off a sword'. Great flavors, just the right amount of 'juicy and moist'. My wife had the salmon. Again lots of nice flavors, and cooked just right. Would eat here often if I lived in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfuldrewrodDined on 8/29/2014I ate here for the second time with my family for a special occasion and I was lucky to get a reservation for a perfect Friday night. I knew this place would be reliable based upon my past experience and numerous reviews and this night was no exception. The staff was perfectly friendly and helpful and I think the decor ranks as my most favorite. The food did not disappoint - from the appetizers, salads, wine, entrees and desserts. I believe it would be difficult to choose a dish that doesn't deliver. This is excellent Greek cuisine and whoever is in charge knows what they are doing.Special Features:
- Delicious!KClarkDined on 8/29/2014Everything was perfect, I definitely plan on dining at Kokkari again in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service - The bestGrrAliDined on 8/29/2014As a visitor to San Francisco we checked out restaurants on the internet before leaving Scotland and this one was rated very highly. We found it very welcoming and friendly. The staff could not be faulted and their attention to detail was exceptional, as was their attention to their guests. The food also was exceptional and enjoyed greatly by the both of us. As an up-market restaurant, the food was reasonably priced although the wine was on the expensive side which did not detract from our overall enjoyment.Special Features:
- Been going here for 8 years...ThereheisDined on 8/28/2014I have a quarterly lunch with clients, and we are never disappointed. Food is great and the service is off the charts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.