200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: (415) 981-0983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
503 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (360)special occasion (334)romantic (242)good for groups (207)notable wine list (187)hot spot (179)neighborhood gem (157)great for lunch (109)vibrant bar scene (90)late-night find (32)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Our favorite restaurant in San FranciscolewrenVIPDined on 11/24/2014We have been dining our way around San Francisco for over 30 years and have many favorites. Kokkari, since opening, has been consistently outstanding in every aspect of dining. For years, the lamb chops were essential to the meal. Now, red meatless, we can't wait to experience the wonderful fish dishes as well as the chicken. Try the chanterelles or large beans, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful menu, presentation, atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014Our waiter Matt was very professional; attentive & helpful in menu selection & greek wines. He really heightened our 1st dining experience at Kokkari & put forth the extra effort for my son's 30th Bday. This is a deceptively large restaurant and yet it remains intimate. You must book resos 3 weeks, even on a Sunday night which was our last night in SF. I reside in Las Vegas; the last 20 years, I've dined at ALL the celebrity chef's restaurants many times over...Kokkari is a stand out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything we had was incredibly delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014I am so happy that we got to finally try this restaurant. We had my birthday dinner here and the food was the best ever. The lamb was by far the winner. The service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, ambience and service!!SanchDined on 11/23/2014We have been to Kokkaris many times! The vegetarian selection is amazing. The food is outstanding!!!! Everything is 5 star. The high ceilings, soft lights, seating, good portions of food, price is resonable compared to other similar high end restaurants in San francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSmileVIPDined on 11/21/2014We love the food and the ambiance at Kokkari. The zucchini cakes, octopus, lamb meatballs, lamb chops and ribeye were all amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and outstanding serviceSLPembertonDined on 11/21/2014Best place in SF to have a business lunch or celebrate something special. Outstanding food and service!Special Features:
- never dissapointsdeekDined on 11/20/2014We've never been disappointed with the menu or the service. The wait staff is professional without being presumptuous, friendly without being too personal. And the food is outstanding; creative, well prepared and generous. Pay attention to the specials, some true gems there. If you like your drinks straight, as in scotch over, the bar gives a generous pour. All in all a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of the bestsSarperVIPDined on 11/20/2014Kokkari once more proved to be one of the best restaurants in the city.From the food to the attentive service and the classic ambiance, everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service & Superior CuisineColleenDined on 11/19/2014For a late lunch we ordered a seasonal persimmon salad with a honey dressing and pomegranate seeds that was delicious and beautifully presented. My husband then had the octopus salad and I had a special that was petrale sole prepared with a very light lemon sauce that was perfect for this fish. Both dishes were excellent. Be warned that dinner reservations are usually booked 2 months out, which is why we went for lunch. The restaurant accepts reservations one month in advance through Open Table and two months in advance if you call the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CulturalSuecultureloverDined on 11/14/2014Kokkari is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is always excellent, the service is superb, and I have never had anything but wonderful times when I eat there. I go to performances at the Eureka Theatre which is across the street, and it's always a delight to know I get to dine at Kokkari again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Greek FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Kokkari was a great experience for me and my girlfriend. The food was very authentic and tasted delicious. The wait staff was also excellent and was able to recommend great wines to go with our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014Food was great! Husband had rib eye, I had lamb souvlaki and zucchini cakes. Love the fact That when I ordered a glass of wine the server said it was very dry and recommended a sweeter version - which I loved. Downside was at 6 pm on a Thursday the restaurant was very crowded with business dinners and a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not what it used to be...SFoodieDined on 11/12/2014Kokkari used to be a bit of a tradition to come to for me an and an old friend. It had always been the best Mediterranean in town.. Freshest fish, and most flavorful food share plates imaginable .. Additionally you could always expect to be treated like royalty. Unfortunately the last few times we 've been there we've been finding ourselves commenting that they "must be having an off night ".. Food is still good, but that extra something special from the service is lacking..Special Features:
- Good food and service.LuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 11/12/2014Great food and service. They need some work on the reservation system as I to call back several time to confirm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server Michael made our visit greatfinedining4meDined on 11/11/2014Food and service were of highest quality. Lamb cops, moussaka and the appetizers octopus, beets, smelts and mussels were outstanding ! Was a treat to dine there with our foodie group. One matter does need addressing. Initially reserved through Open Table and was able to get a 5:30 seating. However I didn't get a confirmation and eventually had to call the restaurant to find out if the reservation was kosher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterranean Gemmangezbien3VIPDined on 11/11/2014This was the first time I tried Kokkari and it was wonderful! Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at KokkariJuliaDined on 11/10/2014Except for a slightly awkward wait to be seated, lunch was terrific. I gave four stars across only because it is not -- and makes no attempt to be -- a pricey fine dining experience. There is no better choice for a lunch between old friends who love food and conversation in an attractive and comfortable setting. We were rushed just a bit -- probably on the assumption we needed to get back to work -- which suggests this would be a great restaurant for those who (unlike us) have not retired and really do have to get back to the office.Special Features:
- The BombcarolDined on 11/9/2014Food was excellent with different choices than most restaurants appetizers were unique and delicious.. Our waiter was superb...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Went for food with a small group of friends after hearing good things from most people. The everything about the evening was excellent with the food being flavorsome but also generously portioned. The atmosphere is fantastic, with the restaurant contained in what seems like a rustic authentic building and dressings. It is a nice departure from the modern, sleek environs of most good restaurants in SF. Our waitress was extremely nice and willing to engage in some friendly banter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRayraymansfDined on 11/9/2014This is an excellent restaurant. The food is excellent and the service is as well.Special Features:
- Good food, bad serviceDinerDined on 11/8/2014The food was excellent. Well prepared and delicious. The service was bad though. Our waiter couldn't have cared less about us, and constantly made it seem as though we were wasting his time.Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/20144th anniversary dinner was amazing! Food was to die for and service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/7/2014We love Kokkari and our meal on Friday night did not disappoint. The grilled octopus was fantastic; easily the best grilled octopus we have had. The lamp chop and special sole dish were delicious. We did however feel rushed. The entrees were served very quickly. We had a 6:15 pm reservation (because there was nothing available between 6:30 pm and 8 pm when we made the reservation one month ago). It felt like the servers were trying to turn the table over right away.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!Mmm2eatDined on 11/6/2014We went to this restaurant based on its reviews and yes, the food was amazing but the a bit overprice. Service was outstanding. They delayed to bring us our desserts and without even a complaint the manager came and told us that they were on them due to the waiting time. The waiter was awesome too. I think you need to try it while in SF.Special Features:
- Incredible dining experienceLive2EatDined on 11/6/2014Kokkari was our first meal in San Fransico and I think it may have ruined us for the rest of our vacation! The decor, atmosphere, and overall feel of this place is special. The service was exceptional. The food was AMAZING! (I had the zuchinni cakes and braised lamb shank.) I'd eat here again and again if I lived even remotely close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance - food underwhelmsOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 11/6/2014For the price you pay the food underwhelms. The octopus has been better on past visits. The steamed veggies (bok choi) were very bland. The lamb was solid, but not outstanding. Frankly, Cotogna next door is half the price and more developed in flavor.
- Melt in your mouth lambChelzDined on 11/5/2014This was my 2nd time at this restaurant- and the 2nd time I just fell in love with this restaurant. The lamb skewers are perfect- they are so juicy and flavorful. We have the rotisserie lamb as well- equally tender, and the potatoes were delicious that came with it. The Zucchini cakes were amazing as well- their pickled cucumbers that come with the dish are so tasty. Very romantic spot as well- perfect for savoring a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, friendly serviceVMMATXVIPDined on 11/4/2014Wonderful appetizer of oven baked prawns and the special braised goat dish.Special Features:
- Kokkari is Tops!!!BlueMoonVIPDined on 11/3/2014Want to choose the BEST place to dine in SF (or perhaps in the United States)? Then make a reservation for Kokkari and you will be in heaven! We have never, ever been disappointed in any aspect of our experiences at this fabulous restaurant, and they have been numerous over the past 12-14 years. The team that brought this place together is still riding high, and the staff is by far the best anywhere. And the cuisine? Always spot-on marvelous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal and superior serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/3/2014Great food, good attention, didn't feel rushed, super deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!llabradaDined on 11/3/2014Even better than expected, food to die for and top notch service. We got in an hour earlier(forgot to change the watch)and they gladly got us in, thanks! Crowded even on a lunch on Monday, make sure to make reservations.Special Features:
- Very GoodTabehodaiSanVIPDined on 11/2/2014Been here a dozen times over the last 3 years, always great service and staff. Kokkari's food great to but this time the food wasn't bad but wasn't as good as many times before. We always get the grilled octopus appetizer but this time it came out within 5 minutes of ordering and it was a bit chewy and luke warm. The duck ravioli was dry and bland. On the plus side, the pan fried Kefalotiri cheese was great and the Moussaka was fantastic. The wine selections are plentiful. The sundae was excellent. One thing I wanted to mention is that the menu on the website wasn't the same as the menu we were given at Kokkari that Sunday evening. Either way, we'll be back again and hopefully things will be back to usual.Special Features:
- The best Greek restaurantChristmasTreeHillGirlDined on 11/2/2014OMG!!! Four of us in the group.....The food was out of this world. We were seated in a great banquette out of the main space and it was wonderful. We had the Kolokythi and a lovely mushroom meze to start out with. The entrees we ordered included Lamb Shanks (which were good sized and I took the leftovers home), Lamb Chops (my husband finished his off), Moussaka and the special (which I can't remember). We shared several deserts...Baklava being one of them and Galaktoboureko another. Our waiter was great....he was totally on top of everything. It was the best evening!! We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToddDined on 11/1/2014Outstanding food, great service, and a warm and inviting atmosphere. We can't wait to go back!
- Exceeded expectationsAverybigfanDined on 10/31/2014The whole experience was over the top. The cuisine was spectacular and our server, Jordan, is a master at her craft. There are very few times when I leave a restaurant and say "I can't wait to come back!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!TravelNinjaDined on 10/31/2014There is a reason this is the number#1 rated restaurant on TripAdvisor. Everything was spot on. Waiter had great recommendations. Octopus was outstanding and the rib eye was one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Never disappontsMelanieVIPDined on 10/31/2014The food is phenomenal, especially the small plates (the saganaki is indulgent and delicious, all the dips are yummy, and their feta is so perfectly creamy and salty). Warm, welcoming atmosphere. The service is always very conscientious. Split an order of lamb chops with a friend, and really appreciated that they were willing to make half medium rare for her and half medium for me. On our last visit, our time was a little tight, but the server made sure everything came out promptly and was standing ready when we needed to get our check.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014This is my most favorite restaurant in SF not only for the food and deserts, but the service, the atmosphere and the ambiance. Always bring my clients here for lunch and they always have a great time and enjoy themselves here. Highly recommended. Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent and creative Greek foodbobcDined on 10/29/2014the rotisserie lamb was perfect as were the other dishes. The restaurant is beautiful, but the noise level was high - too high for a conversation over dinner. Still, I have been here before and will definitely return on my next trip to the city.Special Features:
- ConsistentfoodieDined on 10/29/2014the food, the service, the atmosphere are consistently at the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.