200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: 4159810983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
486 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (340)special occasion (321)romantic (235)good for groups (190)notable wine list (174)hot spot (168)neighborhood gem (143)great for lunch (120)vibrant bar scene (86)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Who doesn't love Kokkari?MBSFVIPDined on 10/20/2014I've been there before and went again because it's been too long. This is a truly great restaurant. Very consistent, excellent service, and it is not expensive for its category. I'll keep this short since I'm sure there are about a million raves, but I wanted to add my voice to the choir.Special Features:
- Service?servicemattersDined on 10/17/2014We were a party of 4 dining at 5.30 (no later res available), looking forward to a great evening. Though we've dined at Kokkari before, I would not return. We felt rushed throughout the meal. A taste of wine sold by the glass was requested and refused. ("It's just a sparkling wine."). Our server told us the day's specials -- or so we thought. An hour later, another server quoted an entirely different list of specials -- ones we would greatly have preferred -- to the table behind us. This restaurant serves good food and consistently ranks among the city's best. However my definition of "best" includes great service -- courteous and kind. That was not our experience of Kokkari.
- well worth the hypetrixieDined on 10/17/2014Food was amazing! Service was excellent! Must eat here for a high end meal in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even if it isn't a special occasionCasaluzEDDined on 10/17/2014This is the second time I have been at Kokkari, and both occasions were to celebrate something special. The restaurant has become a favorite for us at home, regardless if it is for a romantic meal or to have a special meal including our kids. The excellence of Kokkari is based on consistency, warm service, extraordinary quality of ingredients and superb cuisine that took us back to Europe (I am from Spain and felt right at home). The menu changes slightly depending on the day. Highest recommendation is for the whole fish (there are always a few choices based on the market that day) grilled to absolute perfection, de-boned and presented beautifully. Hands down, one of our favorite places in San Francisco, and a special place for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Romantic but a bit pricy. Necessary to wear suitable clothesSpecial Features:
- GreatKimoDined on 10/15/2014The food was outstanding as well as the service....you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great WaiterMariONODined on 10/14/2014Server was very personable and made great recommendationsSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Foodfood4lifeDined on 10/14/2014The food was amazing! The wine list was extensive and a great compliment to the food. Service was attentive. Tables were a little close together so bad neighbors can ruin the ambiance. Overall a great find and great dinning experience.Special Features:
- GEOBEARDined on 10/14/2014If it is high end Greek cuisine in a great, first class, atmosphere, it doesn't get any better. Dishes are imaginative and well prepared and service is first rate. I always enjoy Kokkari.Special Features:
- Food for the GodsHalfGreekDined on 10/14/2014Born in Athens, raised in New Jersey, and found the best Greek food ever while living in San Francisco. My co-worker and I had the Octopus and Pikti appetizers and both ordered the Souvlaki Hirino entrees. Along with a glass of Retsina, it was a meal that I will never forget. As full as I was, I still had to try the Galaktoboureko for dessert and am glad that I didn't pass it up. I'm looking forward to many meals at Kokkari in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't sit at the Chef Table...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/13/2014Noisy, hot and you smell like the kitchen when you leave. Table backs up to the kitchen so you have the noise level from the waiters and cooks, the heat from the kitchen and the various smells from the food cooking. Walked out smelling like food, ugh.
- Great Greek FoodBigLDined on 10/13/2014Try the pikti! It is pig head and feet, course chopped and smooshed together in a patty with chopped egg and pickle on top. Delicious! Eat it by itself or on top of the delicious homemade bread. Flourless chocolate cake was the bomb-diggity, as the kids say. Fig, arugula and feta salad was interesting salad but the feta should be crumbled, not in a slice on the plate. Moussaka was really good.Special Features:
- liptowiVIPDined on 10/12/2014We were visiting the Bay Area from NY and accidentally discovered this truly terrific restaurant. It compares very favorably to the best Mediterranean eateries in the Northeast. The grilled sea bass was wonderful. The baclava outstanding. The portions were amble, the prices fair, much less expensive thsn what a comparable meal would cost in NY. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant dining experienceDeme1Dined on 10/10/2014Kokkari was recommended to us and we weren't disappointed. Wonderful Greek/ med food served in comfortable restaurant with attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CWM5Dined on 10/10/2014Tasty food....attentive service....great place to have dinner with your family and friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014The food was fantastic. The service was great. Loved the whole experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience2winosVIPDined on 10/8/2014A friend's recommendation and the reviews on OT convinced us to try Kokkari for lunch. It exceeded even our high expectations. The two appetizers, the grilled octopus and the baked feta, were excellent. The lamb chops were juicy and tender. Lemon, olive oil and other seasonings were just right. The salad special with figs was very tasty. We joined these dishes with a bottle of Argyros mavrotragano from the reserve wine list. It was perfect. Bold, with smooth tannins and a long finish, like a $250 Napa cab at half the price and without over the top fruit. Our waiter, Frank, provided excellent service throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekbgourmandVIPDined on 10/7/2014Kokkari managed to feel cozy in spite of its huge size, due to having several rooms and a large fireplace with spit-roasting meats on it. Our waiter was a 15-year veteran there and took excellent care of us. The menu was tempting and varied, and we enjoyed our dinners. I chose the whole grilled local petral sole which was absolutely delicious! Galaktoboureko (custard filled filo) for desert was also wonderful. I wish I lived in San Francisco so I could eat at Kokkari more often!
- AmazingYummyfoodDined on 10/5/2014This place was more than what I had expected! Great food, lively bar scene, huge restaurant and open kitchen when you walk through the restaurant. Fireplace has an actual spit on it with lamb and chicken. Great place to eat in SF!!Special Features:
- Always an amazing service and foodlafayettefoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014We have been dozens of times at kokkari and it has always been a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent place extraordinary dishesSerchfloresDined on 10/3/2014I definitely would return to try more dishes. The service was excelentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticTravelingHogFanDined on 10/2/2014Kokkari is always fantastic, food is delicious, service is wonderful. They take care of every detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!VICKLEIROMVIPDined on 9/30/2014Kokkari was absolutely delicious! My husband and I ordered the grilled lamb meatballs as an appetizer. My husband had the goat stew with orzo and I had the lamb chops for dinner. I highly recommend the lamb chops! They were the best I've ever had!Special Features:
- Kokkari never fails to impressOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/30/2014We've dined at Kokkari on multiple occasions and it's always a great dining experience. Starting with the food you can't go wrong with any of their dishes. Presentation, quality and flavor are top notch. Service is impeccable - knowledgable, engaging and helpful. A must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food is top notch and the atmosphere and decor is classy, spacious, warm and comfortable (luv the big chairs and relaxing color hues). My heirloom tomatoes were perfect, but I was even more blown away by the freshness of the feta cheese. My only gripe is that it took quite a while to get service between my main dish and dessert...perhaps because I was just 1 diner: if there are 2 diners waiters presume longer dinner conversations. But the service in general was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never less than excellentThomisKellarDined on 9/26/2014I arrived early this time and got to speak with my server a bit. It seems like they treat their waitstaff like kings so they really love to work there and it comes across in the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch what table you getCyranoDined on 9/26/2014We were five people squeezed into a semicircle booth that really only fit four, and it was in the back passageway between the bar and the dining room. This made our business lunch very awkward. We normally love this restaurant, but this time we were wishing we had gone somewhere else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- George is amazing guyarildojrDined on 9/25/2014The food was amazing, the atmosphere either, but the service was incredible!!! You have to try looking for a table in the george area, he is the man!!! I have never seen service like this beforeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBobbVIPDined on 9/25/2014We went our anniversary. The service was good and we received a nice table in the back. However the food was average at best. It was our second visit and both times the food was average and over priced. I had the roast lamb off the spit. Tough and flavorless. My wife had the sea bass it was better Overall experience was disappointing.
- Always spectacularBalteVIPDined on 9/25/2014..can not go wrong lunch or dinner. On the menu or the specials. They take great care of you and the food is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing birthday dinner!LoLoWitDined on 9/24/2014My boyfriend and I came here to celebrate his birthday while vacationing in San Francisco. I had never been to a Greek 'fine-dining' restaurant before and was excited to see what the menu had to offer. We had the prawn appetizer--delicious! For mains, I had the vegetable ravioli and my boyfriend had a special, a goat stew. While my dish was good (and I would definitely recommend to vegetarians), it didn't even compare to the goat stew which was absolutely outstanding! The only thing better than the food was the service, which was top notch. I can't wait to return the next time I'm in the bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014We had an amazing meal with an outstanding waiter. Loved every minute.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysray2qDined on 9/23/2014Kokkari is a fantastic place to go when you just want to have something different that you wouldn't cook at home. On this occasion we had the lamb riblets (juicy falling off the bone delicious), heirloom tomato salad, and great craft cocktails. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Love KokkariFoodieGirlDined on 9/22/2014Had a wonderful experience here. Great service, food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent Greek FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Pear Salad was excellent lavrakki fish best preparation I ever tasted Our waiter George was excellent very knowledgable charming & humerus a beautiful memorable Dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food gereat serviceSFTravelerVIPDined on 9/21/2014I had dinner with two friends here Sunday night. We were seated right away. I mention this because recently I have been kept waiting long after my reservation time at several restaurants. The food we ordered was excellent but the meal was really enhanced by our server's knowledge of the wine list and her help in matching our food with the wine.Special Features:
- Lived up to expectationsjcsunVIPDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I love our Greek food and eat it often. We're from NYC and have also visited Greece and so our standards are high. Kokkari delivered. Fresh, amazing food. Dessert was outstanding (baklava with vanilla praline ice cream). Highly recommend. Would def come back with friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/21/2014This restaurant exceeded our very high expectations which were based on reviews I read on OpenTable and TripAdvisor. Everything about it was top-notch. The fact that all the dining rooms and the bar were packed on a Sunday at 5:45 (the only reservation we could get with 3 weeks notice) is a testament to the exceptional quality of the dining experience at Kokkari. We will definitely be back the next time we visit San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ethnic Food with FlairBarbVIPDined on 9/20/2014Kokkari is a beautiful restaurant, but it is all about the food. I tasted all the food at our table for four, but the stand outs were the goat stew, the grilled whole sea bass and the duck meatballs wrapped in pastry. The goat stew is not always on the menu, but if it is, I highly recommend it. It's hearty, not heavy, and has wonderful flavors. The sea bass was grilled and de-boned in the kitchen. It had simple seasonings so that the delicate bass flavor came out. The duck meatballs were quite tasty - just the right size for four people to taste. We also had a tasty flat bread appetizer. For dessert, do not miss the made-to-order donut holes with walnuts and honey. YUM! I love this place!Special Features:
- Great Place For Romantic DinnerJagerBombMobDined on 9/20/2014This place is AMAZING!!! They all worked so hard to make your dinner experience memorable! You will not be disappointed in the food quility and the service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.