200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: 4159810983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
486 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (339)special occasion (325)romantic (232)good for groups (193)notable wine list (183)hot spot (174)neighborhood gem (151)great for lunch (116)vibrant bar scene (83)late-night find (34)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/29/2014the food, the service, the atmosphere are consistently at the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PhenomenalElizabethDined on 10/28/2014Kokkari is always phenomenal; the atmosphere warm, vibrant, rustic and elegant. Great food, great wine, great service, great decor, great atmosphere--a really well-run restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014My favorite restaurant in all the bay area. I look for any occasion to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulKismetVIPDined on 10/27/2014A meal here is always special ! The food,ambiance and service were exceptional this time also. We had such a lovely waitress which made it even more pleasurable. Zucchini cakes are still the best I have had anywhere,filled Kalamari with Feta ,Octopus Stew all equally great. Lamb Souvlaki,roasted whole Dorade and lamb shank were all excellent. What can I say,still the best restaurant around !Special Features:
- Lovely in every way...Drmom63Dined on 10/26/2014Can't say enough about Kokkari. The food was wonderful. Made a dinner out of the small plates, and it was perfect for a late night supper. Loved the lamb meatballs, baked feta and spanakotiropita. Our waiter was superb. Warm and helpful without being intrusive, he really made the evening a special one. Very knowledgeable about the wine list and made an excellent suggestion in our price range. Paced the dishes so we never felt rushed and even brought out a little extra cookie with our dessert that I had asked about earlier. The restaurant is located on a quiet street just a few blocks from the Embarcadero. Very pleasant walk before and after dinner. Can't wait to go back on my next visit to San Francisco!Special Features:
- Expensive wines are a minusOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014Never been disappointed with Kokkari. Always very good service from friendly staff and food is great. One big disappointment in last visit was a very pricey wine list with very few choices (two?) below $100. Many were in the $200 range. More reasonably priced options should be offered for those of us who can't appreciate a $200+ wine. I suspect that is the majority.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Restaurant has a lovely ambience with meats roasting over an open fire. Service from jeff was exceptional and made our experience. Food was very good - what I expected from the reviews. A really good evening enjoyed by us both. My only comment is that in some ways the service was too fact and we were in and out very quickly. This isn't a fast food joint so please slow things down a little so diners can enjoy their experience for longer.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We came on vacation from the UK and this was our first reservation and really is a brilliant find. Don't just visit the website of the place and think the website is pretty sub-standard so the place must be. The pictures of the place on the website also don't do it justice. It's an upmarket great eatery. We had a starter and main with 2 drinks and complementary bread and oil and it cost us $93 then we paid $20 tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!KellyDDined on 10/24/2014I loved it...one of the best in the USA. World class and must not be missedI would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVisitorDined on 10/24/2014This is one the best places we've ever dined at! We went for lunch because we could not get a table for dinner. The food was outstanding, we had the grilled Octopus for appetizer along with salad, then had the whole fish for lunch, they had two kinds and my wife and I tried both. They were outstanding, this is a must. The Dessert was great as well. our server did a terrific job with his recommendation. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great lambOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014The lamb was made in the fireplace. The deserts were quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningandrewrkislikDined on 10/23/2014The food is superior. Each time I go, everything is delicious. The service and ambience are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but expensiveNomNomsVIPDined on 10/22/2014Some of the best greek food in SF and great wine list, although, I did not feel it was worth the wait or money. It feels like you are paying a lot for fancy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a VisitPlanetRVIPDined on 10/21/2014#1 rated restaurant on Trip Advisor. Had to check it out and was not disappointed.
- Never disappointed!AmelieVIPDined on 10/21/2014Booth 22, seating for 4. Retsina, grilled octopus and baked feta to start, nothing better. Authentic and outstanding. The staff has been there forever and they CARE. Go and it will become your favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lambchop Lovers' ParadiselovetoeatDined on 10/21/2014This has become one of my very favorite restaurants anyplace. The food is marvelous. The service is impeccable. The staff is courteous and friendly. Doug, the Majordomo, is a man with unending charm and aplomb. If you take a friend there, you will know in advance that the friend will be pleased and hugely impressed, no matter how experienced in matters gustatorial that friend may be. And there is a lot more wonderful stuff then than merely the best lamb chops you ever tasted.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary Mealgingerspice5371Dined on 10/20/2014We were promptly seated near the open kitchen which was fun to watch. Our waiter was delightful and suggested a lovely white wine from Santorini - we had traveled there about 20 years ago so it was fun to reminisce. We shared several mezzes (zucchini cakes, lamb meatballs and spanikopita) as well as a whole grilled snapper. Although it's fun to pick through a whole fish, the kitchen kindly deboned it before serving. Our waiter brought our dessert (baklava ice cream - oh my!) with candles and a cute chocolate "Happy Anniversary" surrounding the plate. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Who doesn't love Kokkari?MBSFVIPDined on 10/20/2014I've been there before and went again because it's been too long. This is a truly great restaurant. Very consistent, excellent service, and it is not expensive for its category. I'll keep this short since I'm sure there are about a million raves, but I wanted to add my voice to the choir.Special Features:
- Service?servicemattersDined on 10/17/2014We were a party of 4 dining at 5.30 (no later res available), looking forward to a great evening. Though we've dined at Kokkari before, I would not return. We felt rushed throughout the meal. A taste of wine sold by the glass was requested and refused. ("It's just a sparkling wine."). Our server told us the day's specials -- or so we thought. An hour later, another server quoted an entirely different list of specials -- ones we would greatly have preferred -- to the table behind us. This restaurant serves good food and consistently ranks among the city's best. However my definition of "best" includes great service -- courteous and kind. That was not our experience of Kokkari.
- well worth the hypetrixieDined on 10/17/2014Food was amazing! Service was excellent! Must eat here for a high end meal in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even if it isn't a special occasionCasaluzEDDined on 10/17/2014This is the second time I have been at Kokkari, and both occasions were to celebrate something special. The restaurant has become a favorite for us at home, regardless if it is for a romantic meal or to have a special meal including our kids. The excellence of Kokkari is based on consistency, warm service, extraordinary quality of ingredients and superb cuisine that took us back to Europe (I am from Spain and felt right at home). The menu changes slightly depending on the day. Highest recommendation is for the whole fish (there are always a few choices based on the market that day) grilled to absolute perfection, de-boned and presented beautifully. Hands down, one of our favorite places in San Francisco, and a special place for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lilie02Dined on 10/16/2014Romantic but a bit pricy. Necessary to wear suitable clothesSpecial Features:
- GreatKimoDined on 10/15/2014The food was outstanding as well as the service....you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great WaiterMariONODined on 10/14/2014Server was very personable and made great recommendationsSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Foodfood4lifeDined on 10/14/2014The food was amazing! The wine list was extensive and a great compliment to the food. Service was attentive. Tables were a little close together so bad neighbors can ruin the ambiance. Overall a great find and great dinning experience.Special Features:
- GEOBEARDined on 10/14/2014If it is high end Greek cuisine in a great, first class, atmosphere, it doesn't get any better. Dishes are imaginative and well prepared and service is first rate. I always enjoy Kokkari.Special Features:
- Food for the GodsHalfGreekDined on 10/14/2014Born in Athens, raised in New Jersey, and found the best Greek food ever while living in San Francisco. My co-worker and I had the Octopus and Pikti appetizers and both ordered the Souvlaki Hirino entrees. Along with a glass of Retsina, it was a meal that I will never forget. As full as I was, I still had to try the Galaktoboureko for dessert and am glad that I didn't pass it up. I'm looking forward to many meals at Kokkari in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't sit at the Chef Table...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/13/2014Noisy, hot and you smell like the kitchen when you leave. Table backs up to the kitchen so you have the noise level from the waiters and cooks, the heat from the kitchen and the various smells from the food cooking. Walked out smelling like food, ugh.
- Great Greek FoodBigLVIPDined on 10/13/2014Try the pikti! It is pig head and feet, course chopped and smooshed together in a patty with chopped egg and pickle on top. Delicious! Eat it by itself or on top of the delicious homemade bread. Flourless chocolate cake was the bomb-diggity, as the kids say. Fig, arugula and feta salad was interesting salad but the feta should be crumbled, not in a slice on the plate. Moussaka was really good.Special Features:
- liptowiVIPDined on 10/12/2014We were visiting the Bay Area from NY and accidentally discovered this truly terrific restaurant. It compares very favorably to the best Mediterranean eateries in the Northeast. The grilled sea bass was wonderful. The baclava outstanding. The portions were amble, the prices fair, much less expensive thsn what a comparable meal would cost in NY. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant dining experienceDeme1Dined on 10/10/2014Kokkari was recommended to us and we weren't disappointed. Wonderful Greek/ med food served in comfortable restaurant with attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CWM5Dined on 10/10/2014Tasty food....attentive service....great place to have dinner with your family and friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014The food was fantastic. The service was great. Loved the whole experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience2winosVIPDined on 10/8/2014A friend's recommendation and the reviews on OT convinced us to try Kokkari for lunch. It exceeded even our high expectations. The two appetizers, the grilled octopus and the baked feta, were excellent. The lamb chops were juicy and tender. Lemon, olive oil and other seasonings were just right. The salad special with figs was very tasty. We joined these dishes with a bottle of Argyros mavrotragano from the reserve wine list. It was perfect. Bold, with smooth tannins and a long finish, like a $250 Napa cab at half the price and without over the top fruit. Our waiter, Frank, provided excellent service throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekbgourmandVIPDined on 10/7/2014Kokkari managed to feel cozy in spite of its huge size, due to having several rooms and a large fireplace with spit-roasting meats on it. Our waiter was a 15-year veteran there and took excellent care of us. The menu was tempting and varied, and we enjoyed our dinners. I chose the whole grilled local petral sole which was absolutely delicious! Galaktoboureko (custard filled filo) for desert was also wonderful. I wish I lived in San Francisco so I could eat at Kokkari more often!
- AmazingYummyfoodDined on 10/5/2014This place was more than what I had expected! Great food, lively bar scene, huge restaurant and open kitchen when you walk through the restaurant. Fireplace has an actual spit on it with lamb and chicken. Great place to eat in SF!!Special Features:
- Always an amazing service and foodlafayettefoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014We have been dozens of times at kokkari and it has always been a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent place extraordinary dishesSerchfloresDined on 10/3/2014I definitely would return to try more dishes. The service was excelentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticTravelingHogFanDined on 10/2/2014Kokkari is always fantastic, food is delicious, service is wonderful. They take care of every detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!VICKLEIROMVIPDined on 9/30/2014Kokkari was absolutely delicious! My husband and I ordered the grilled lamb meatballs as an appetizer. My husband had the goat stew with orzo and I had the lamb chops for dinner. I highly recommend the lamb chops! They were the best I've ever had!Special Features: