200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: 4159810983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
442 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (308)fit for foodies (292)romantic (229)notable wine list (164)good for groups (156)hot spot (138)neighborhood gem (118)great for lunch (115)vibrant bar scene (79)late-night find (30)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- My favorite spotAmelieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Love everything about this restaurant and have been coming here for years. Both special occasion and business lunches, this is my go-to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ExperiencingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/25/2014We had been looking forward to trying Kokkari for some time and in most ways it lived up to expectation. Great food and environment. Can share a variety of small plates or opt for a full meal. I would recommend the zucchini cakes to start and any of their lamb or rotisserie specials as an entree.Special Features:
- Kokkari is a Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We had dinner w/ friends Sunday and it was terrific. Everything was great. If you're looking for a great restaurant experience, Kokkari's the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Kokkari is representative of why San Francisco is the best food in the world! You will leave with an endorphin high and I am not kidding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected perfection deliveredCKazDined on 8/23/2014Every time I go to Kokkari it's always been a perfect dinning experience. Girls night, date night or a large celebration party, it's top notch. I absolutely LOVE the menu and the selection. Being Greek it's amazing how authentic the food. Kokkari einai apistefto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal!shoupsterDined on 8/23/2014Kokkari is a rare find in today's fusion cuisine, farm to fork world of restuarants. It is a place where simplicity and craft are valued above insane presentations that sound great and look beautiful , but often dissappoint. The idea that simple, quality ingredients speak for themselves is no where more apparent than at Kokkari. Feta, baked in olive oil with thyme, capers, gypsy peppers, lemon and olive oil will dance on your pallette delighting your sense of taste. Lamb, seasoned in garlic, thyme, lemon and black pepper then charcoal grilled to tender perfection will melt in your mouth like butter. The five star service from knowledgeable, attentive staff will tie everything together and give you the perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- My new favoriteaaas24Dined on 8/22/2014Amazing experience. I came to celebrate my graduation and it was the best choice. Amazing food (specially the desserts). Is my new favorite restaurant, hands down. I'll definately come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met all expectationsPumpskiDined on 8/21/2014Dinner, service and drinks were all excellent. The rotisserie lamb was amazing, as was the flourless chocolate cake. One of the best Old Fashions I've had in the city, too.Special Features:
- Stellar!technobabeDined on 8/21/2014We hadn't been to Kokkari in many years, in part to difficulty getting a reservation. Our experience exceeded our recollections. The food was outstanding, and coming from a Greek family, very authentic. The lamb meatballs were delicious, and the avgolemono was as close to the homemade soup made by the best avgolemeno maker in our family. The Mousaka was perfectly spiced, and the lamb chops perfectly seasoned and grilled. We somehow managed to find room for the Loukoumades for dessert … made to order, warm and not overly sweet. Our waiter was wonderful … very knowledgeable about the menu, which is quite large. The wine list is huge and a little overwhelming. Overall we had a fabulous experience and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Tourist trap?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/21/2014The food here is not very different than what one can fine at a decent Greek diner. Overcooked lamb, reasonable chicken, soggy vegetables reminiscent of the school cafeteria. Seemed packed, though.
- Absolutely wonderful!LauraDined on 8/21/2014Kokkari was recommended by several friends and it was as wonderful as I was led to believe. The menu was terrific; the service was attentive; and the food was amazing! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Makes an Anniversary SpecialdiningdivaDined on 8/20/2014Only Kokkari is special enough for a forty-eights wedding anniversary. From great service, knowledgeable wine advice, the best octopus appetizers, bronzini fish special, and Greek dessert, it was a memorable evening. Even a nod from our fabulous exmayor and current best spokesperson for San Francisco, Willy Brown. Evidently everyone knows Kokkari is special.Special Features:
- Excellent fish!TomGDined on 8/20/2014Had the branzino - perfectly prepared; waitress quite knowledgeable about both the food and wine listSpecial Features:
- Thought the food was just averageISYHVIPDined on 8/20/2014Came with a party of 4 for lunch, we each paid $75 for salad, lunch and a drink. A bit over my budget and I thought food was just average....Special Features:
- KokkariperryozVIPDined on 8/19/2014This was our second visit to Kokkari and it did not disappoint. The food, service and atmosphere were great. It is noisy so not a good place for a romatice quiet evening. We went at 6:30 having arrived from TN and the place was packed. It is just like a Greek family gathering, noisy with lots of bustle and plenty of food. Our waiter was a young woman who was extremely familiar with the menu and the food preparation. Very attentive, but not pushy, perfect. The food was very hot when it arrived in a timely manner. The roasted meat special for the evening is always a treat and highly recommended if that's your preference. We had an overall great time and I would highly recommend Kokkari on any trip to SF.Special Features:
- Fantastic SpotLocal23Dined on 8/19/2014Not a bad dish in this spot. Our waiter could not have been more energetic and welcoming!Special Features:
- Impeccable service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Came here with my wife and young son while visiting from Los Angeles. The food was great and the ambiance was warm and inviting. Best of all though was the spectacular service we had! Doug, Brit, Jeff and several others were so friendly to us and our son that we felt as if we were family. It was by far the best, most impressive service we have ever encountered. We will be eating here any time we're in the city.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic dining experience!SoniaDined on 8/16/2014I'm glad that I made reservations at Kokkari for our anniversary dinner. Although we weren't seated in the main dining room with the plush full-back chairs & fireplace, I was still impressed with the rustic charm that was present in the back dining area. Our waiter was very knowledgeable & provided excellent service throughout the meal. We brought our own wine to dinner and it accompanied the meal very well. I will say that the portions sizes are very generous, so you could easily share an entree if you wanted to. My husband ordered the lamb chops which were fine except just a tad chewy. I ordered the famous braised lamb shank, and while delicious, I had to give up on the dish after about 10 bites - it was just too filling! Order lightly :)Special Features:
- HeatherVIPDined on 8/15/2014I wanted to try this restaurant based on all the excellent reviews I read prior to going to San Francisco for vacation. It truly lived up, and I would recommmend to others and will return when I get back to SF!Special Features:
- fantastic food and serviceAlbinaDined on 8/14/2014We ordered 4 appetizers to share between 2 people and this was more than enough food for us given that the portions were quite generous for appetizers. The service was very nice and the ambiance of the restaurants was also quite lovely. Each dish was skillfully prepared and had a wonderful taste. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at this restaurant. It was one of the best meals we had on our trip to San Francisco/Sonoma/Napa.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014Kokkari is one of my favorite restaurnts and probably the restuarnts I have gone to the most in SF. It's wonderful for any occasion, romantic dinners, birthday dinners, group dinners, work events. The food is amazing, you wont go wrongSpecial Features:
- KokkariLoveGreatFoodandServiceDined on 8/12/2014My second visit to Kokkari was just as good as my first. Kokkari is a neighborhood gem. I first decided to go to Kokkari because it was highly recommended by a grad school classmate who was renting an apartment in the area. Although my first visit was drastically different because it was a business lunch, and the second visit was a special birthday celebration, the staff was very accommodating and the food rustic and fresh as usual. I would recommend Kokkari for its ability to please its diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014My wife and I went here for my birthday and I can honestly say that this is one of the best restaurant that we have been to. The service was great and the server was very informative about the menu items. The food was absolutely life changing. I won't go through every dish we had, but I will give you all one tip: Save room for the ice cream sundae dessert!! It's enough for 2 and it's great. They make the ice cream in-house, so you can definitely made freshness. Trust me, you'll thank me for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th birthday in San Francisco!ChantalDined on 8/10/2014Excellent dining experience with an outstanding service...our waiter, nice, charming, funny and not pretentious gave us many great options and a excellent wine choice. Definitely, one of the best Greek restaurant in San Francisco and elsewhere! Would love to have this restaurant here in Montréal!Special Features:
- Great service, mouthwatering food.audreymayDined on 8/10/2014I personally enjoyed all of the food we ordered. Great service was given. Saghanaki with the pepper really goes well. Baklava is as outstanding as ever. Chicken and lamb was amazing..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatronDined on 8/10/2014It is not our first time at this place. We celebrated my Birthday there. Accommodation was outstanding. Our table was in the corner of the room close to the window. Our waitress provided an excellent service with attention to details. Food was good and fresh. Good selection of wine. Everyone had a good time.Special Features:
- ScrumptiousSandeDined on 8/9/2014Best way to start a trip to San Francisco. From our bartender, Josh, to the servers. Simply outstanding. Then the menu - wonderful Greek choices, creative special starters and the lamb oh yes and the bread. Oh, my!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justbeinghonestDined on 8/8/2014food is just OK, it is hard to pay attention to details when you've 500+ people in your dining room. it's a factory.
- Fantastic dining experiencekr1234Dined on 8/8/2014A friend and I went for dinner here and it was awesome. The food and ambiance were great but best of all was our server, Jeff. He was friendly, accommodating and willing to answer many questions we have including travel recommendations to Greece. Jeff made the great experience even better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New FavoriteZismanDined on 8/8/2014I was introduced to this place a couple of weeks ago, when I went for a birthday celebration. I immediately made another reservation for the week after and the food and experience was just as good, if not better. We ordered the octopus and the lamb riblets, the artichoke skewers and the lamb meatballs. There was just two of us, so that was actually enough for dinner. It was all perfection and delicious. I wanted to order more but my tummy was full. The wines were outstanding. I stayed away from greek wines, as I am not familiar, but this would be the place to test new wines, so I will next time. The pro of going with a big group is you try more food (family style) and you are not stuffed. I will have to bring more people next time.Special Features:
- Always good and worth the effort.MunchingMarkVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great restaurant and never disappoints. Appetizers, salads and desserts always perfect. Tried the rotisserie last time and was a bit disappointed. Any fish is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch!ljwmdphdVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were in San Francisco for 2 days and were lucky enough to have thought of dining here. The whole dining experience was wonderful, from service to food. We definitely will return!Special Features:
- Always my favoriteLuvfinefoodDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant experience never disappoints. Impeccable service, outstanding food and great energy at bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent servicefoodsnobDined on 8/6/2014We had a great time at Kokkari on Wednesday. The host needed to make room for a larger party and asked us if we could move to another table which we didn't mind. After wonderful dinner and excellent wine, they brought us a check with practically half of the bill taken off. It was a very considerate and thoughtful gesture for something that wasn't a problem to begin with. I will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/5/2014The food was outstanding. I had an artichoke and eggplant souvlaki. The plate was beautiful and artfully arranged. I also had a small zucchini cake appetizer that was just as good. The ambiance was excellent. What a beautiful place. I went for lunch and it was packed with financial types - men in suits and ties and women in heels. I wasn't in either but felt dressed OK (not in jeans and t-shirt, though). Service was superb. I will return.Special Features:
- Great experienceAlexVDined on 8/4/2014Great food (lamb was amazing), great service, nice dining room. Only complain relates to the noise in the roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!TinTinDined on 8/4/2014My fiancé and I kept hearing really great things about Kokkari from people we knew and we always pass by it and it's always packed. We finally decided to eat there for my birthday and it definitely lived up to it's high standards. We ordered about 4 appetizers to share and they were all delicious. We really enjoyed the lamb meatballs and the beet salad appetizer. For our entrees we ordered the lamb shank and the lamp chop. Both were perfectly cooked and delicious. Our server and the rest of the wait staff were on top of it and made sure everything was okay. Definitely will go back here to eat and try the rest of their menu. It's moved up to be now one of my favorite restaurants here in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/4/2014Kokkari has perfected the art of fine dining in a fun and energetic setting! The staff is so professional and well trained, yet still warm and friendly. Philippo was our waiter and he served our table perfectly. The food is authentic Greek and well prepared. Prices are reasonable for the quality and portions of food. Definitely one of our favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great consistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014I was impressed when i visited the 1st time back in 2009, and still impressed when i came back this month! Great job Kokkari!Special Features:
- Outstanding food!RosalindDined on 8/3/2014The food was incredible, very fresh. We had fresh roasted lamb on a spit and whole grilled fish. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.