Koh Samui & The Monkey
415 Brannan St
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Koh Samui & The Monkey
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kohsamuiandthemonkey.com/
- Phone: (415) 369-0007 ext. 2
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5pm - 10pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Thai
- Executive Chef: Aom Chalermporn
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Free Delivery available to your location with a vast assortment of attractively prepared dishes to choose from our set menu.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi-private space with a wide selection of items to choose from on our set menu, adding ease to ordering and budgeting your event. You can also have the entire dining room to yourself at select times.
- Private Party Contact: Thalia Swangchaeng 4152410288x
- Special Events: We will be serving a Prix Fixe Menu in celebration of the Chinese New Year on January 31, 2014. Reserve your spot now to celebrate with us!
We will also be serving a Prix Fixe Menu on Valentine's Day this year. Treat yourself and the one you love to a special evening!
A word from Koh Samui & The Monkey
This hip, award winning restaurant in SOMA features traditional Thai food influenced by the owner's extensive traveling. The beer, wine, and sake list is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Koh Samui & The Monkey reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (9)special occasion (5)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Thai Perfection!SF888GirlsDined on 11/6/2014Been going here for almost 7 years now, celebrating special moments like Valentine's Day, Anniversaries, Birthdays, here, yet also visiting many a time for a casual,romantic dinner with my fiancée. You will be blown away by the flavored of our favorite dish, the "Firecracker!" A mixed hot plate of mildly spiced shrimp, scallops, mussels, and other seafood- we cannot find this anywhere else though we have several hot spots for Thai food! The entire "Off the Grill" menu is delicious and the steak is cooked medium-well, yet so juicy and perfect for an entree for one or as a sharing plate for up to four people. The drinks are high quality- the "Fizz" and the "Lycheepolitan," are our faves, along with their moscato- order the bottle! A+ Service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People have changedpallieVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have enjoyed Koh Samui for many years. The food is consistent and excellent, and the people are long time friends. This time the food was the same, or so close we were not sure about whether small changes in presentation were reflected in flavors. Still very good. However, none of our friends were there. Maybe we just came on a different day when they happened to be off, but we walked into a group of very friendly, very nice and service oriented strangers. It was like going to visit a friend you haven't seen for a while and having someone you don't know answer the door. Maybe we can adjust, but if the staff is turning over we wish them well.Special Features:
- Great!!yummyDined on 9/13/2014Great place for Thai food before a ballgame. Love the peanut sauceSpecial Features:
- good eatsMayanLyonDined on 9/12/2014Second time dining, came back from San Jose. Love the drinks and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice RestaurantDukeDined on 9/6/2014I like this Thai restaurant of many in this city. It doesn't get the attention it deserves, so there's always plenty of tables when you need it. This recent trip, the food came out a little slow. I discovered via FB friends ordered deliveries on the same night from that restaurant. I suppose that was keeping the kitchen busy. We were not in a hurry, so that was fine.Special Features:
- Delicious ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The ravioli appetizer was divine aswell as the royal curry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and great menubusterbusterDined on 7/23/2014Everything on the menu looks amazing. This place feels like a Michelin starred restaurant from its menu. The ravioli starter was phenomenal, and the pad thai was excellent, and not sweet at all (most places go too sweet). The pumpkin curry was delicious, perfectly balanced and made me wish i could eat more. Excellent placeSpecial Features:
- The following 442 reviews are from the Koh Samui & The Monkey reviews archive.
- very good Thai fooddc4916Dined on 7/18/2014I hadn't been to Koh Samui & the Monkey in a few years. The food is very good and consistent. I really like their red curry. The flavors in the dishes seem closer to authentic, much better than Osha or Ozone in the neighborhood for sure. Also note - their very spicy dishes are actually very spicy. (I lived in Thailand years ago and "spicy" at Thai restaurants is never spicy for me. Here, their "very spicy" was just at the top of where I could handle it.)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/11/2014This place continues to please. Small plates that are a cut above and hand-crafted cocktails. This is my favorite bar/restaurant near the stadium.Special Features:
- ChezfongfongVIPDined on 6/26/2014We have never dined here before and were VERY pleasantly surprised. The spring rolls were delicious and fresh, mint, shrimp, peanut sauce. Really good. Presentation of the dishes were lovely. We enjoyed the Emerald Curry, has a kick at the end. Pork Spareribs were tasty, Pork Belly was a little fatty but that is to be expected. Pad Thai was nice. Service was very friendly. Not a crowded dining experience because Giants were playing. So it was quiet which we enjoyed because we could actually enjoy our dinner conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014Wonderful dinner + friendly, courteous staff. One of our party was able to order off the menu with delicious results, and when my husband accidentally spilled his cocktail they quickly replaced it despite his apologies and assurances it wouldn't be necessary. I highly recommend the scallops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai food loverjamesBdayDined on 6/14/2014Good place to dine after Giants game, two blocks from the ballpark, has great menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prefer Take OutOL2HVIPDined on 6/9/2014We frequently order Koh Samui for their food plus outstanding take-out service. But this night, we decided to actually visit the restaurant for dinner. The food is very good, and portions plentiful. The service nothing short of annoying. This is one of those restaurants where the waitstaff if so anxious to remove the plates, that, even when the dining area is nearly empty, the customer gets the impression that they don't have sufficient clean dishes available to take care of subsequent diners. I don't appreciate having another person's hands on my plate just because I have put my utensil down for a sec to take a rest or to talk between bites. This is a problem that we don't incur when we order takeout!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heard about this place for years...AnonVIPDined on 6/7/2014And am SO sorry we waited to long! What a wonderful meal - the decor is tasteful and hushed, the servers attentive and discreet. And the food...just about the best Thai food we've had in San Francisco. While a bit pricey, it's worth it - the Grilled Lamb to Die For IS, especially with the sticky rice. The squid-ink noodles with the scallops was a perfect pairing, even if the veggies were a bit skimpy. The champagne and salmon salad was a good cooler to the spicy curry, and we literally cleaned our plates. The dessert we chose was the coconut tapioca, which didn't need the the mango to be delicious. Starting from the lychee cocktails, to the sitting around the table with tea, it rates 5 stars from us. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Bring a seat cushionJaneDined on 5/25/2014Food was excellent, portions were good. Seating can be updated- seating in bar area was extremely uncomfortable. Chairs in dining room were heavy and hard, seat cushions would make a big difference in dining room. The cushiond in bar area were flat and only one available per table of four (?). Not ver helpful as the heavy metal stools and table are not welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before giants gameyummyDined on 5/17/2014Good place for dinner before a game. Good service, quick if in a hurrySpecial Features:
- Good food, bad service.HillmillDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I were there for dinner early last Sunday evening. We got there way before the crowds, yet the service was deplorable. Slow as molasses, and without a smile. We waited nearly twenty minutes before our server showed up. Then we waited another twenty minutes for our food. The food was practically thrown onto the table by our server who never came back to check on us. The wait staff was unavailable and difficult to flag down. Our water glasses sat empty until the end of our meal. While the food was tasty, our experience there was so negative, I doubt we would ever return (except maybe for take-out).
- Monkey businesst6362bVIPDined on 5/8/2014Great food and an awesome happy hour. The app's and bar snacks are so amazing that you might not make it to the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Koh Samui a real findSusanEmDined on 4/5/2014Near AT&T park, this Thai restaurant is fantastic. The prices were moderate and the food excellent. Service, as is typical of every Thai restaurant I've even eaten at, was superb. Really a wonderful find. There was even easy street parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good outing for connectingpchoyDined on 3/19/2014I enjoyed taking a candidate for our company there. The food was good and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the scallops!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/18/2014We started with the sirloin salad which was excellent! The meat was cooked medium rare, tender and seasoned beautifully. The crispy spring rolls were a nice contrast of crunch and savory with a sweetness from the sauce...Then came the SCALLOPS! The scallops with squid ink noodles was to die for! The scallops were seared perfectly and melted in our mouths...the noodles were perfectly seasoned and paired beautifully with the perfectly cooked scallops. We finished with the pumpkin curry with chicken which was also delicious with both sticky rice and brown rice accompaniments. Since we were there on a Tuesday, we had a half-priced bottle of wine to go with this feast, the place was fairly empty and the service was fantastic!Special Features:
- great foodsanfranvisitorDined on 2/15/2014This place was recommended to us by a friend,so on a recent visit to San Fran we decided to pay a visit. We were not disappointed the food was excellent the service was good the waiters were attentive . The only downfall was the location, it is out of the way from the rest of the city. But the food made up for it.Special Features:
- Great Thai food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/11/2014The restaurants itself and service are simple but the food is very good. We order delivery from here quite often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- weinaWeinaDined on 1/31/2014It's a great restaurant and bar. The waitstaff are dressed in authentic Thai clothing and very friendly. Our server was happy to describe dishes and make recommendations. The wine and drink menu is extensive. The prices are fair and portion size is good. I will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Treat!roymanDined on 12/26/2013We were so very pleased to have discovered this place.....food excellent, our service was exceptional and just a wonderful find for us. We will visit again when we return to the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great grilled specialties!getsaroundDined on 12/19/2013We dined here for the first time, and I was amazed at the grilled lamb and other very tasty offerings. If you like very salty/ savory food, stick to the meats and simpler preparations..many dishes mix slight sweetness in with the savory. Many items on the menu are not the usual offerings from Thai restaurants--a welcome change. Mango salad was crisp and spicy, and the grilled pork and scallops and curry dishes were all very fine. Noise level is notable when the dining room is full. Good specialty mixed drinks, though slow to appear at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SCREAMING MONKEY !!!!!SSFJAZZZDined on 12/19/2013Interesting room... good food... unendurable noise @ 90 decibels... most unpleasant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh food, Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/18/2013The service was awful, 20min to place our order, food was subpar at best. 20 min for food the arrive and then we had to wait another 20 to pay. The worst part was that the place was half empty the whole time.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2013We had to wait a long time for waiters to come by.Special Features:
- Flavorful and NicetominsfDined on 11/9/2013Overall this was good but we had a bit of a strange experience. We were on the late side and they had a large party but the staff seemed overwhelmed. It seemed like it was the bartender's first day. We had to order our drinks twice and it took forever to get them. The staff, though, is super nice and I'll cut some slack for that. The food quality was very good as always. It was just a bit longer of a dining experience than we wanted.Special Features:
- thai gemtravelmentor1VIPDined on 10/14/2013food great and unusual pricey for a Thai restaurantSpecial Features:
- need to try harderPls4ggVIPDined on 10/14/2013We used to go to this restaurant years ago and thought we'd go back and give it another try. Nothing has changed, the service is still slow. It took the waitress over 10 minutes to even look at us and we were one of only three tables seated. The food is good, but needs some imagination and the interior looks tired. We won't be going back even though we live just around the corner.
- Pricey but large portions, friendlybritguyVIPDined on 2/2/2013Easy parking at night. Good consistent Thai food. Large portions but prices are higher than in most of SF. Friendly staff. I would go back but order a little less.
- Very good Thai food. MustfitndineVIPDined on 1/17/2013Very good Thai food. Must try Coconut curry seafood.Special Features:
- Slow serviceetrinhDined on 1/15/2013Party of 4. My reserved was table was ready to go which was great but it all went downhill from there. We ordered 3 appetizers and 4 entrees and a bottle of wine. But in order to put the order in, we had to wait for someone to actually take our order. It took 15min! And we still didn't get water when we were seated initially. So 15min... later hungry and thirsty, we put in our wine and food order. Great. But it went downhill from there. The appetizers came out before the wine/water. Mien Com tofu became chicken and we couldn't have chicken because we had vegetarians with us. It took awhile to flag someone but we did and they switched it for tofu. So we finished our appetizers and the busboy take away our plates but didn't replace them!
- Gourmet ThaiJackiVIPDined on 1/15/2013Outstanding Gourmet Thai food. Beautifully presented. Wonderful bar, great drinks. Pricy for Thai food, however, some of the best I've tasted. This place was busy on a Tuesday night. Service was very good, however it took ages to get my cocktail. Beer arrived quickly. From former reviews we ordered the starters.telling our waitress to come back later for the entrees, as the food can come out quickly. I found the restaurant to be quite cold, granted it was about 45F outside, they still kept the door open! We ate wearing our jackets. Don't think this would be a problem if it wasn't so cold outside.
- Both service and food wasaboriginalDined on 1/15/2013Both service and food was a miss in a category with many to choose from in SF.
- The food was very good howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/13/2013The food was very good however my biggest complaint was that service was a bit lacking; our waiter never came to check up on is and even at the end, just getting him to come and get my credit card to close out tool about 15 minutes. The other thing I would say is that they need better insulation around their window seating. It was very cold outside and we were seated near a window table and there was a draft coming in from the outside which made our meal a bit uncomfortable not to mention our food was getting cool as well. I would recommend getting seating away from the windows unless during the summer months.Special Features:
- What A Find!WalnutBaronVIPDined on 1/12/2013What a find! Koh Samui and The Monkey offers a varied and outstanding menu. If you're a fan of Thai food, this is a complete gem. Our favorite Thai dish is Tom Kah Gai, coconut chicken lemongrass soup. Koh Samui's version is outstanding, perhaps the best I've ever had. We also greatly enjoyed the Thai Beef dish and the fresh Spring Roll. The only slight disappointment was the fresh grapefruit salad, which had a sauce that was just too salty. Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Koh Samui & The Monkey isFoodieVIPDined on 1/9/2013Koh Samui & The Monkey is our go-to-place for Thai food. Always delicious food and a friendly place to eat.Special Features: