5300 E. Mockingbird Ln.
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.central214.com/
- Phone: 2144439339x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Graham Dodds
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Central 214's South Wing offers a cozy yet contemporary retreat, ideal for your next event. Accommodating up to 50 sit-down guests or 75 guests for standing cocktail receptions/parties, the private room features elegant floor to ceiling windows overlooking the restaurant's courtyard and outdoor fireplace. Select from Central 214's seasonal menus or from a variety of private dining menu options for most any occasion, whether a special dinner gathering, bridal shower brunch, cocktail party or corporate event.
- Private Party Facilities: Central 214's South Wing offers a cozy yet contemporary retreat for up to 50 people seated guests,75 guests for standing cocktail receptions/parties. The private room features elegant floor to ceiling windows overlooking the restaurant courtyard and outdoor fireplace. Private dining menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Krause 2145602865x
- Special Events: Visit our website to see all upcoming events.
A word from Knife
Knife's extensive menu celebrates the diverse flavors and substantial tradition of American regional cuisine. The menu evolves with the seasons to feature the freshest seafood, poultry and local produce. Knife sources its ingredients from regional purveyors across the country to heighten the authenticity of the menu. Diners experience the soul of American cooking with rustic flavors, approachable dishes and the intimacy of sharing familiar American food together with family and friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Knife reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)special occasion (80)vibrant bar scene (62)hot spot (56)notable wine list (45)romantic (40)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (24)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (12)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- Perfect for our anniversarySethHDined on 8/29/2014The steaks are delicious. The pork belly and oysters we amazing. Delightful experience that everyone should try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible foodLAinDallasDined on 8/29/2014Incredible food, diverse meatcentric menu with perhaps the best filet and ribeye we have had in Dallas. The service is overly intrusive at times but professional. I never want nor need 3 separate waitstaff to ask me about my food at each course. I spent more time assuring them than I did chewing. With that said, what I was consuming was nothing short of superlative.Special Features:
- Good meeting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Always a great place for quiet business meetings. Great staff who are attentive, but not intrusive. Reasonably priced and excellent menu.Special Features:
- awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014Good food awful service. We were there for a birthday. We got the very early and were the first ones in the restaurant. The service was slow, and unprofessional. We were never told the specials, nor about the menu. We had to flag the waiter down every time we needed something. The dishes were slow to be cleared all night, and some never left the table. Glasses from our pre-dinner cocktails were still sitting empty on the table when we paid the check. We had to flag down the manager to clear the table long after we had finished dinner. For the money that they charge, better service should be a given. No excuse.
- Great concept, fair executionhypemndVIPDined on 8/24/2014They definitely have a lot of interesting cuts on the menu, which is refreshing to see. The only thing I would add is some additional side items. Nearly everyone at our table was disappointed that the only potato item was french fries. The service needs a bit of work. Coordination in the kitchen was off--we saw cold items sit in the window for 15+ minutes while hot items were being prepared. It took an hour between appetizers and entrees, wine and cocktail delivery was slow and the servers lacked polish overall. The kitchen was also out of several items on the menu.
- Meat is the star!SpritpeaDined on 8/24/2014If you love meat, this is the place to eat! Perfectly seasoned well cooked steaks and side dishes. This restaurant does not disappoint. The bacon sampler is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be named "Meat"GoodtogoDined on 8/23/2014Knife in the old Palomar Hotel, is all about the meat. Lots of exotic and rethought meat choices . Aged beef is their thing and they do it well. The Crispy Pork head is excellent (but a lot of food- share with the table). We were stuffed after the pork but had to trudge on !The steaks ( Tri Tip and Flatiron ) were prepared well and the salads ( choose the peas shoot salad with pea sorbet - my favorite). I think this place will make it because Dallas is a town that loves its steaks. The booths are very nice , but a little warm the night we were there. Great "Show Kitchen" atmosphere Next time, I'm doing the Bison aged bone in Rib eye !Special Features:
- FoodiesSatisfDined on 8/21/2014Food was sumptuous! Would highly recommend...waitstaff need to learn to be engaging!Special Features:
- Turning TablesCeciVIPDined on 8/20/2014We are John Tesar fans & anxiously awaited the opening of Knife. We decided it would be perfect to celebrate our son's 30th bday. All was going great up until the very end--we had paid our bill & were finishing our drinks. The server offered us some champagne. We thought it was a nice gesture in celebration of our son's bday or a thank you for a nearly $500 bill. Nope, it was all a ploy & we were told our table was needed to merge with another due to additional attendance of diners on that reservation. Champagne at the bar. Really? Just rude. It ruined what should have been a special & memorable occasion. We love JT--we wore out our welcome when he was at Spoon. But, this displayed such a disregard of customer service we won't be back.
- Knife is SharpTonyGDined on 8/20/2014I was skeptical about going to Knife but we were celebrating a friend's birthday and that is where she wanted to go. Generally, I don't like”fancy” food – tongue, spicy blood sausage, etc. are not my foods. Give me a prime steak, a baked potato and a glass of red wine and I am happy. We all opted to choose from the New School selection of meats. Each of us chose a different cut – coulotte, tri tip and flat iron – all of which are known as chewy, difficult to cook. They all were very tender and flavorful. The sides – mac & cheese, onions rings and creamed spinach – were all very good. Our waitperson was friendly and helpful. My final thought was if these lesser cuts are so good and tasty, I can't wait to taste the main cuts.Special Features:
- OutstandingG8viewVIPDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant is outstanding - and the food was simply amazing - artistic, delicious and simply fabulous - our server made our experience superb - we were taking our daughter back to school (SMU) and will be eating here every time we visit Dallas.Special Features:
- Good Steak!BLTgirlDined on 8/14/2014Damn good steak! Not much else. Very loud. Service just ok.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a KindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014This restaurant is one of a kind. They have some unique offerings. The bacon tasting is a must try. The service was very personal and I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014Service was lacking. Brought wrong food. Very nice but not as good as he should have been for the price of our dinner. Very expensive!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnersprchasDined on 8/8/2014I saw a review of the Ozersky burger in the observer and needed a restaurant for my wife and I to celebrate our 18th anniversary. Knife was the right call. From the moment of being greeted, the staff was very attentive. The food was great, service was great, and they gave us a great desert as a gift to us for our anniversary. I want to thank the staff for a great evening. I look forward to returning to try more of the menu.Special Features:
- Good, but room for improvementDallas345545Dined on 8/7/2014Very nice, upscale looking place. They advertise the lamb as a serving "for two"; I'll tell you right now, it is most definitely for one. Only 4 chops. I ordered my steak medium, and got well done, I'm talking zero red whatsoever. Being a steakhouse, I was surprised that the waiter did not ask me to cut into the steak before he left to make sure it was cooked properly. I didn't say anything, still tasted good. I will definitely return. They did comp the dessert for their mistakes. You have to give them a break, being they are sort of new.Special Features:
- OutstandingChefTVIPDined on 8/5/2014First time dining at Knife and it was delicious! The service is top notch and the food is delicious, steaks are such great quality. I can't wait to come back and dine here again!Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/4/2014Chef Tesar has created an incredible modern twist on the steakhouse. With everything old school dry aged cuts to new school value cuts, the menu has something for everyone. There is such diversity and creativity on the menu, every foodie should be in heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingkwayne72Dined on 8/3/2014Food was incredible. Try the bacon plate with the butter jam and the penne pasta with truffles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocrity at it's bestmooseDined on 8/1/2014bar was nice and service was good until we ventured into the dining room. Service was inattentive at best, my husband ordered a burger with fries and the fries were cold and tough. Sent them back and the replacements were cold and tough although they 'just came from the fryer'....we were offered a free round of drinks at the bar, but we were so disgusted that we just wanted to go home.
- SpectacularMnusplVIPDined on 8/1/2014Amazing menu. Not standard Dallas steakhouse fare but still amazing. Great service & one of a kind menu. A true original in a city of copycats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome. Tesar Rocks the House!BestinDallasDined on 7/31/2014The first "chef driven" steakhouse in Dallas lives up to its critical acclaim. Appetizers you will not find anywhere else, affordable steak cuts like no other. Gotta go back!!Special Features:
- Great service marginal steakFoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Everything you could want in a steak house. Great wine service. Waitstaff was professional and responsive but in spite of asking specifically if medium rare was how our $90 steak would be cooked it came out presliced and medium well at best. Even the table next to us had to have her steak taken back because it was overdone. Inexcusable to me for a highly rated steak house.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Great date night spot and I loved that the steaks were portioned to share. Creative take on standard steakhouse fare. We loved it!Special Features:
- OutstandingLawyerAlanVIPDined on 7/30/2014You will find the traditional cuts here but the in house aging sets this restaurant apart. Don't expect a traditional steakhouse. Eclectic and innovative sides and desserts too. I've never had anything quite like the Niman Ranch aged rib eye I got. So complex, rich and flavorful, prepared au poirve. Our dining guests are still raving too. Can't wait until our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely Will Go BackPonocatVIPDined on 7/30/2014First I ordered a steak from 44 Farms which the waitress said was choice, but excellent. It was tough and not flavorful, although it was cooked perfectly medium rare. They exchanged it for another ribeye, which was prime. OMG it was indeed superb. Also tried the crispy beef tongue, which was outstanding. The vegetable sides were ok. My partner's tuna was not so great, although cooked rare as she wanted it. Our waitress was a bona fide sourpuss.Special Features:
- OverratedSR3KYDined on 7/26/2014I made a reservation but we were seated at the barstools in front of the cooks and hot ovens. We asked for a table and were moved with some hassle. From the wine, appetizer, meal, to dessert...the only thing we were impressed with was the wine.Special Features:
- Great place!FoodiemomVIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful experience! There were great surprises along with the fabulous food we ordered. Complimentary crudités before your meal, then tiny desserts afterwards! So fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure what it is trying to be?EditDined on 7/24/2014Some things were quite good, steak tartar, tuna. Some were just bad, bone marrow (too salty!) onion soup (too sweet) scallops (just awful). Know it is suppose to be a steakhouse but menu is strange and it is still a hotel restaurant. Don't think I could recommend it.
- Very nice evening.dinaVIPDined on 7/19/2014After the recent news, we were very intrigued to try out Knife. Overall, we had a great time and the food was fantastic. It lives up to the "modern steakhouse" theme. We were seated quickly, but the service was a little slow, especially from the bar. The servers were very nice and professional aside from that. After ordering the bison ribeye, we were told by a manager that they were out. We were disappointed, but ordered another steak. When it came out, it was cooked perfectly. And, to our surprise, when the bill came the entire steak had been comped. It was unexpected, but speaks to the level of service you're getting. The sides and dessert were all great, the bacon tasting forgettable. Overall, it's a great meal for a special occasion.Special Features:
- It's GrrrrrrreatpowerfilmVIPDined on 7/18/2014Enuf said...Huge menu of different meats and pork..12 bucks to over a hundred. Great wine somm if you need guidance there. This is fine dining so don't go expecting a cheap date night. Open kitchen and a chef's counter where you can watch all the action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knife is PerfectthescottlewisVIPDined on 7/17/2014From service to food, there is always somewhere I can find a flaw, not at knife, the service is perfect without being overbearing, the food is brilliant, this was my second dinner at knife, both experiences were flawless!Special Features:
- Can Not RecommendldaschaVIPDined on 7/16/2014Most odd and pretentious experience, would not return. Poor experience started with unprofessional hostess, to combination uninformed and bothersome service staff, pushy to turn tables made me want to get out as soon as possible and not come back. Menu selection and quality is very average at best, can get much better at 100 places in town.
- JoanVIPDined on 7/15/2014Upon arrival, I was so impressed with this beautiful restaurant and hotel staff. However, food and service did not live up to standards of top rate steakhouse which had been expected.Dry aged steaks were not prepared as requested. Waitress was not attentive.Average dessert offerings to address steak too done didn't makwe up for average though costly meal. Willnot return.
- HungermanDined on 7/12/2014Food and service very good. When we arrived for our reservation, hostess said only available seating was at chef's counter or communal table. I explained that was not mentioned in our reservation which she confirmed but that was the way it was. Manager finally intervened, said they had some seating issues they were working on and thought he could get us a table within 20-25 minutes. As we were in no hurry we waited at the bar and were seated in about 20 minutes. There is a flaw in the reservation system if they accept reservations for a specific time but only have seating at the chef bar or a communal table and do not mention when reservation made. Other than that a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nu2DallasVIPDined on 7/10/2014Don't miss the restaurant. It hits every price point and taste. No frills.Special Features:
- uneventfullove2eatVIPDined on 7/10/2014expected a better meal with the previous reviews I had read. Steak had good flavor, was not tender, for $60 a steak, it should of melted in your mouth. Bacon tasting was interesting, a one time try for me, no need to do it again. Overall expensive dinner for what was ordered, with all the dining available in Dallas, nothing stood out to make me want to return.
- Teething ProblemsLivestrongDined on 7/9/2014Title says it all. Booked a table arrived and told that we could sit at the bar, community table or could wait? Tables for an intimate dinner for two are too large. Service was a little choppy and seemed to lack organisation. Read the reviews prior to this and decided to go regardless. Good concept and give it a few months to have the process buttoned down, this place should do well.Special Features:
- Knife Your SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014Knife is a great destination locale for fine meaty dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big MeatPowerOnDined on 7/5/2014Had dinner at Knife on Saturday. Food and service was outstanding. Cool place with nice vibe. Unique cuts of meat at very reasonable price points, plus the normal big cow cuts available at other Dallas steak places. I had beef cheek which was unbelievably good and tender. Others had crispy beef tongue, tri-tip, and pork belly....all were very good. Waiting for the 240 day dry-aged beef to become available. Avocado fries were really good. John Tesar even stopped by the table and was very gracious...nice touch. Will definitely go back.Special Features: