5300 E. Mockingbird Ln.
Dallas, TX 75206Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.knifedallas.com/
- Phone: (214) 443-9339
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast daily 6:30 am - 11 am
Lunch daily 11 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner daily 5 pm-11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Tesar
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Select from Knife's seasonal menus or from a variety of private dining menu options for most any occasion, whether a special dinner gathering, bridal shower brunch, cocktail party or corporate event.
- Private Party Facilities: Knife's south wing offers semi-private dining for up to 45 seated guests.
The terrace with flagstone paving, contemporary style and garden views set the stage for up to 60 guests.
Knife's sleek main dining room is ideal for larger parties of 85 seated guests up to 150 for a reception.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Krause 2145602865x
- Special Events: Visit our website to see all upcoming events.
A word from Knife
Knife's extensive menu celebrates the diverse flavors and substantial tradition of American regional cuisine. The menu evolves with the seasons to feature the freshest seafood, poultry and local produce. Knife sources its ingredients from regional purveyors across the country to heighten the authenticity of the menu. Diners experience the soul of American cooking with rustic flavors, approachable dishes and the intimacy of sharing familiar American food together with family and friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Knife reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)special occasion (73)hot spot (52)romantic (38)vibrant bar scene (34)notable wine list (34)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (19)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (6)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Sub-par service, good steak thoughjs1234VIPDined on 11/23/2014Knife is supposed to be known for their steak & the extensive dry-aging on some of the steaks provided. That, I will give them - the steak we ordered was delicious. But other than that, the experience was poor. We went their for our 5-yr anniversary... not one mention of the special occasion was made while we were there. We were sat, and then waited 5-min without any acknowledgement - not even any water! Finally, we ASKED if we could get a server. Server was very nice, but damage was done. Not only that, when we were reviewing the menu, we once again had to ask about the dry-aging & various steaks available. If Knife truly wants to be known for this & be proud of it, it should be one of the first things that comes out of a servers mouth when reviewing the menu. Steak was delicious, no denying that - got a side of fries that were ROOM TEMP when they came out & mac & cheese that was lukewarm. Lots of room for improvement.Special Features:
- Amazing food, not an intimate atmosphereCJFDDined on 11/18/2014meal was outstanding, but you're going to hear every word of everyone else's conversations around you, no intimacy but the food was well worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not a knockoutCaptainDined on 11/14/2014Ham plate was great, quite salty but very tasty. Tuna tartare was excellent. Cocktails tasty but small and mild for $12. Steaks were sufficiently tasty but nothing special considering their price. Probably a bit healthier than Bob's but not as good. Desserts were very good. Servers were excellent. Not letting 3 of us be seated and order drinks and appetizers while 4th was caught in traffic was very annoying.Special Features:
- Once again FantantasticLizzyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Even though the restaurant was extremely busy, we received excellenet service from Ben and the food was cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/11/2014We don't generally frequent steakhouses but we really enjoyed our dinner. The steaks were tender and full of flavor and the side dishes were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014The food was good but not outstanding. My filet was slightly more rare than the medium-rare i requested, though it was not so out of line that I sent it back. I also ordered the "Rib" burger - I enjoyed it more than the steak, though it is hard to call it a burger. The mac and cheese was good but not great. Overall, I am unlikely to return to Knife bc there are restaurants with better steak (Pappas' Bros), plus i like lobster bisque, which Knife does not offer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014Mortadella sandwich was great, but that was highlight. Several dishes brought to the table were lukewarm. The sloppy joe sliders did not have enough filling and were on dry buns (and were one of the lukewarm dishes). Brussel sprouts were over salted. Overall, not nearly what we expected from some reviews and of a John Tesar restaurant, particularly at the price point. While we weren't in the mood for some of the more expensive steaks, everything on the menu can and should be well executed...and was not.
- didn't care for ittonisVIPDined on 11/7/2014The bison was tough. The cocktails were small. The creme caramel too salty. And everything too pricey.
- Best in dallas for dry age steaksJuanDined on 11/6/2014The best dry age steaks in dallas. Please include more choices of 30-45 day dry age. New York strip and porterhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceDinnerDined on 10/31/2014I took my husband to Knife for his birthday, and we were really looking forward to it based on the and recent reviews and Esquire nomination. Unfortunately we were disappointed. The food was okay, not our favorite. The worst part of our experience, however, was the service. When you are spending $200 on a meal, you expect the service to be pretty good. I have nothing good to say about our service. It took him forever to take our drinks orders. Once he did, he forgot our orders and then took forever getting us our drinks. He was very short and uninterested in us and often came across rude. We basically had to ask him to take our appetizer and meal orders because he rarely came around to our table. We debated ordering dessert, but ultimately decided not to because we didn't want to wait any longer. Unfortunately, I do not think we will be trying the restaurant again in the near future.
- great service..too much foodDenvergirlinDallasVIPDined on 10/31/2014This is a beautiful restaurant with awesome staff but the food is just average for the price and there is no customizing of portions for very expensive cuts of meat.One choice for filet, 10 oz, way too much and dry. They bring comp crudites and bread but charge for sparkling water?? Avocado fries are bland. French onion soup more like a custard..too much bread and onion, hardly any broth. Ordered desserts which were good but also brought comp mini desserts after we ate our purchased dessert. $290.00 for 2 cocktails, 2 wines, an app, half wedge, fr onion soup, filet, sirloin, 2 desserts and most of it pretty good but not great.Would return for drinks in lounge and dessert. The highlight was our waiter who took great care of us.Special Features:
- Great Fries!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/26/2014I was here before when it was Central 124 or something like that. I think the place is OK but maybe a bit over priced. However two things were outstanding. The service from every crew member was outstanding, so just for that reason it was a great experience. Besides that the fries were the best I have had in the US. I may go back when going to the Angelika. Good job guys!
- KnifeBoetker1965VIPDined on 10/25/2014It was delicious. We had reservations at 8:45 and showed up at 8:05. We were directed to the bar. At 8:40, we went back to the hostess and she said "ok, do you have a reservation?" Not good. Outside of that - food and service were amazing. Tongue was perfect, never had before. Filet, sides and wine were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique MenuHemiLaineDined on 10/25/2014We ordered a dry-aged ribeye for two ($90). It was definitely delicious. We also tried the carrots, macaroni and cheese and avocado fries. The macaroni and fries were awesome. I am a little disturbed by the portion size of the carrots ($8). It was not a sharable plate, and the carrots were miniature. I wouldn't order those again. All the extras (crudites, bread and small dessert plate) were an added bonus. The restaurant is very nicely decorated but also quite loud. I could not hear our friends on the other side of the table. Service was excellent. We had to rush our server because we had somewhere to be, and she was very professional. We would return.Special Features:
- Yummy!LovedHurleysVIPDined on 10/21/2014The bacon slab was very tasty, the 60 day dry aged Niman ranch bone-in ribeye was fantastic (much better then the 10oz filet), mac-n-cheese was excellent and service was wonderful. Sommelier's help with the wine list was wonderful - she suggested 2 wines that we loved and didn't come close to costing a fortune. Look forward to a return date to try more of the menu!Special Features:
- Great Food and Servicetaftie10Dined on 10/19/2014I went to Knife with a few friends and I was very happy with the food and service. You could still tell the staff was new, but overall they were very good. My only complaint is that it was somewhat expensive compared to the quality of the meal. For example, one of my friends ordered her steak medium rare and her steak came out medium. My other friend ordered her steak medium and it came out rare. This shouldn't happen at a restaurant of this quality. On a side note, the Bacon tasting plate is awesome.Special Features:
- 5 star food ... 1 star serviceAldenTheDallasFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014The siracha pork belly was perfect, the bacon tasting was great. The oxtail ravioli is an absolute must, from the first bite it exploded into my top 10 dishes in Dallas! Unfortuantely as great as the food was my evening was hampered by the poor quality of service, if you want to make excuses about it you can attribute it to the fact we ate outside on the patio, and our waitress had only been employed for less than a week, and she admittedly was rushed through the hiring process without proper training. That being said I can understand her lack of menu knowledge, but 30min before my first cocktail hits the table, 2nd course of food on the table and I have to physically get up to go find her to get a glass of wine.. NO excuse for that.Special Features:
- KNIFE Cuts Like A ... SWAGCharliesAngelsDined on 10/15/2014This place is so vibrant, so very cool. We cannot remember when a server was so adroit at walking us through a menu. The detail, care and concern was refreshing! The steaks were like buttah! The bacon sampler we could eat as an entree, if we ordered several ... Fun to taste the distinctiveness of each bacon and savory, indeed. Our server (name is Andreas, I think) was probably the best waiter we've had in a decade. He was so thoughtful, present when needed absent when not needed and we could tell he loves what he is doing. Go to KNIFE and you will feel how SHARP this restaurant is and enjoy a fantastic dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome staffallenlovesfoodDined on 10/9/2014Staff was impeccable, perfect night my date felt like we were the only table in the restaurant. The dry aged beef had a unique flabor profileSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant close to homeMaryAnneWDined on 10/7/2014We went here for dinner on a Tuesday night and loved it! I was surprised that the only option for reservations for two were 6:45 and 8pm on the day of. We chose 6:45. Most tables were full with business people, groups of friends, or couples. We had the tuna tartare for an appetizer. They accidentally brought the beef tartare but we hadn't even stuck a fork in (or noticed) when they apologized profusely add brought is the tuna tartare. Both were great! I had the French onion soup for my entree--very cheesy! My husband got the pimento cheese burger and loved it. Overall it was a great experience. The food as great and the service awesome. Oh also, they brought a few little delicious treats from the chef before the appetizer and after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good & would dine again at KnifedavbarneVIPDined on 10/6/2014My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at Knife after eating at Spoon a few months back. Our service was fantastic and the food overall was a treat. We will go back.
- Great ExperienceFreshfoodloverVIPDined on 10/5/2014Fantastic take on the traditional steakhouse! We enjoyed the bacon tasting as an appetizer along with the heirloom tomato salad. Both were great followed by our steaks which were melt in your mouth delicious! I requested a half order of the penne pasta served as my side and the fresh grated truffle was just amazing. Desserts were the chocolate and banana - both emphasizing varied flavors and textures. The emphasis for the entire evening was on great food rather than great quantities so don't expect the tired old concept of mammoth portions signifying a quality meal. We were still stuffed at the end but it wasn't obscene. If the weather is nice go for the outdoor cabana seating. It was intimate with a great view of the roaring fireplace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpresseddallasbirthdaydinnerDined on 10/3/2014We went to Knife Friday night for my birthday and were very disappointed. The hostesses were unfriendly, the waitress didn't know the menu, the bacon sampler was unremarkable, the bread on the bacon sloppy joes was stale, the avocado fries are very unappealing and the dessert was tiny and bizarre.
- Great!BigDfoodieDined on 10/3/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our experience! The food and service were top notch. Definitely a place to add to your list of places to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RWBGVIPDined on 9/28/2014We thought it was a good dining experience, not great though. Wobbly tables need to be fixed.
- Excellent dining-MMJTMDined on 9/26/2014Creative, delicious foods. Very enjoyable in ever aspectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Steak!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014The steak I ordered was absolutely amazing ... one of the best I've ever had. I also recommend the avocado fries. A delicious and surprising dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars isn't enough!Arkansastraveler124Dined on 9/20/2014Absolutely loved this place from the moment I walked in. Have recommended this to several friends already, and will continue ad well! Great staff, service, and hands down great experience! I will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationBHiggsDined on 9/13/2014Celebrated my birthday here with my girlfriends when we stayed in the adjoining hotel. Great food and kind, attentive and knowledgeable wait staff. Lovely experience, would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food took NoiseyLuv2EatVIPDined on 9/12/2014Very good food, with confusing menu categories, too much noise for the price point. Over a very nice overpriced dinner with wine. Enjoyed but probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerTable4twoDined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed a nice dinner with an outstanding steak for 2. If we lived closer, we would frequent Knife on a regular basis. Wish it was on a high floor with an outdoor view of Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for birthday dinnerKathleenDined on 9/10/2014Brought my guy here for his birthday dinner. Staff was awesome. Wished him happy birthday multiple times and educated him on the menu/making recommendations. He liked it a lot. Thanks again Knife!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special NightlovemygardenDined on 9/7/2014The steak was fabulous, I had ordered a sauce to go with it, but the steak was so good, I didn't end up using the sauce, I didn't want to cover up the delicious taste of the steak. The waitstaff was terrific, very attentive and friendly. Loved the roasted veggies and mac and cheese. It was a special night with my girlfriends and couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014We loved the food only problem is they don't have champagne glasses and did not leave the bottle with a ice bucket on the table so was unable to see if we had the whole bottle.Special Features:
- Knife is very well executedglobaleaterDined on 9/6/2014Chef Tesar is one of Dallas' gems and full of talent and courage. He has put together a wonderful menu with terrific selection and totally delicious steaks. But there is much more than steak here and totally professional service.Special Features:
- A contender for Nick and SamsPennyVIPDined on 9/4/2014More modern and closely rivals the level of service. Bacon tasting is fun and cocktails and creative. Steaks... well, they are awesome. A great place if you are looking for a less stuffy steak house and John is amazing, as we all know from Spoon.
- Came for apps, stayed for beefNeilAdamMcGinnisVIPDined on 8/31/2014Bacon, Uni, Bone marrow- 1/5 (only 1 bone, bone marrow rendered so it's just grease mixed w/ bacon bits with hot, fishy uni on top) Open-face beef cheek sandwich- 5/5 (incredible meat but sauce was a bit too heavy) Avocado Fries- 4/5 (avocado seems to be unseasoned which baffles me) Tuna Tartar- 5/5 (very good seasoning, oddly served with a big piece of bread that tasted like naan but thinner) Cocktails- 3/5 (uninspired) The appetizers appear to be grossly overpriced for the quantity/quality. The bone marrow dish was the most expensive one i have ever bought and the worst one i have ever had, and i honestly had extremely high hopes. It didn't even come with a piece of bread, i guess you eat the greasy bacon directly with a spoon...??Special Features:
- Perfect for our anniversarySethHDined on 8/29/2014The steaks are delicious. The pork belly and oysters we amazing. Delightful experience that everyone should try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible foodLAinDallasDined on 8/29/2014Incredible food, diverse meatcentric menu with perhaps the best filet and ribeye we have had in Dallas. The service is overly intrusive at times but professional. I never want nor need 3 separate waitstaff to ask me about my food at each course. I spent more time assuring them than I did chewing. With that said, what I was consuming was nothing short of superlative.Special Features:
- Good meeting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014Always a great place for quiet business meetings. Great staff who are attentive, but not intrusive. Reasonably priced and excellent menu.Special Features: