Knickerbocker Bar and Grill
33 University Place
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Knickerbocker Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.knickerbockerbarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2122288490
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00pm; Burnch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:45am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Derrick Van Duzer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater a party to fit your needs.
- Entertainment: Knickerbocker has had "Live Jazz" since the days when the village had "Live Jazz". Harry Connick Jr. got his start here, back in the late 80"s. Names like Junior Mance, Bucky Pizzarelli and Ben Wolf now show up on our schedule. We have live jazz on Friday & Saturday nights, starting at 9:45pm till 2:00am. There is a small $3.00 cover charge at the tables after 10:00 pm, or just stop in at the bar for a drink, with no cover.
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Public Transit: The 6 train at Astor place, or the R & N to 8th street are just a block away. Other stations like Union Square & West 4th street are just a short walk away and have most train lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking on the street is usually easy to find. The meters finish at 7:00pm, and the other street parking is available after 6:00pm. There are parking lots on the approach to the restaurant on 9th street or 8th street.
A word from Knickerbocker Bar and Grill
Knickerbocker is known for its great Jazz and its 28 oz. T- Bone Steaks and is a favorite among many celebrities including F. Murray Abraham, Chris Noth and Ben Stiller. Rachel Ray listed us in her "NYC Favorites" and has praised our Shrimp Cocktail, Creamed Spinach, and of course our T- Bone Steaks. The word "Knickerbocker" itself, says "New York". Upon entering, you’ll know you're in the Village. Its wood paneled walls sport rare turn of the century posters and original caricatures by Al Hirschfield. Large leather booths line the walls and brass rails accent the 100 year old marble bar, where Charles Lindbergh signed his Trans Atlantic contract. We have survived the times by using the freshest ingredients from local markets, and offering good solid value and quality. Our wine list offers over 100 selections, most under $50. We serve until late (weekends 2:00 AM) and offer a Bistro Menu with lighter fare. We offer Brunch on the Weekends, and are open on all Holidays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Knickerbocker Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)good for groups (32)special occasion (31)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (24)notable wine list (16)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (8)romantic (7)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Carne eccellente !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Ristorante dalla bella atmosfera, con carne eccellente e personale molto gentile ed attento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014We jave eaten here many times and have always enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For serious food and conversationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014One thing that people who work in the city are always complaining about, is the problem of getting affordable places where one can have a good working lunch. I personally have had to score through so many resturants to get a place that offers good food, but does not saddle you with a huge bill, sub-par service and NOISE! Knickerbock is close to my work, has superlative service, a wide range of good food and does believe that the its customers will want to talk to each during the meal. They make you comfortable, the music is turned low and the food is yum. Definitely one of my go to places.Special Features:
- Favourite NYC RestaurantSungate123Dined on 8/18/2014Every time in NYC we come here and it never fails to deliver. Food and service is exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HimeVIPDined on 8/16/2014I always find great food and nice music to go with.Special Features:
- Good steak - average expirienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The steak itself were good and tender. The side orders nothing special. The staff was freindly and helpful, but nothing extraordinary. The restaurant has seen better days. Expensive and not worth the money compared to other steak houses.Special Features:
- Great place to dine!TopBrassDined on 8/9/2014Been here several times. Always liked the look and feel of the decor. Food service great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasure to Dine HereLLNYCDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I lived near and enjoyed many a meal at Knickerbocker for several years. When back in the neighborhood, or if we're at home for a big holiday, we return. Over time, Knickerbocker has maintained consistently fine food, and friendly service and atmosphere. The "past-of-New York" graphics on the walls let you know you're in a quintessential New York restaurant. And you can enjoy good live music here (check the restaurant's schedule for days and times).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in GreenwichFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014Every dish is outstanding, impeccable service and very reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- Perfect NY eveningtcjrDined on 8/2/2014Had guests in from Italy. Knickerbocker offered the perfect NY experience: tasty cocktails, great steaks, cool jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rendezvous NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014If you want to show your non American friends all that is good about American cuisine then this is the place to go! Of course the steaks are perfect and well served, but it is the little extra's (cornbread and sour dough bread) - even German bread experts are impressed! Then there is the chocolate souflé...heavenly. All this served in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere with walls decorated with NYC posters and cartoons. Add Live Jazz combo and the American urban dining experience is complete. Oh I should mention the waiter who anticipated our needs and responded perfectly. In an urban jungle of fast food joints and affected overpriced top restaurants the Knickerbocker is gem of pure American unpretentious fine dining. It is just great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of TownersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We thought the food was very good and well presented. Service was also very good, and our server had a very nice demeanor and was very attentive to our needs. We would go again, and recommend to others.Special Features:
- University Place? You go herePeterVIPDined on 7/22/2014There is no place with the success rate of Knickerbocker in GV. The steaks, fresh pasta, seafood that's fresh. Service is friendly and almost homey. What other restaurant this big is full every night in GV? Because every night you can count on consistently fresh, tasty food and their private cornbread.Special Features:
- wordpicturVIPDined on 7/14/2014We've been eating here for ten years. It's always great. Menu changes, wine list changes, but the look and vibe remain. Great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm environmentAlexDined on 7/10/2014Great food, very helpful waitress who McAfee we feel home and led us through excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Filet!NYCtravelerDined on 7/6/2014The filet mignon is the best I've ever had! The service is fabulous? They make you feel very much at home.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014My partner and I celebrated our 44th & 45th birthday. We do this every year at Knickerbocker. We want to thank you Charles and Boris so much for a wonderful evening and another great dining experience. Thank you chef for the wonderful steaks. It would be nice to meet the chef once in a while to put a face to the great cuisines. I was sad to hear that the souffle is only available in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite RestaurantSOSYDined on 7/2/2014We go to "The Knick" all the time. Have for about thirty years. It's a restaurant that has evolved over the years, and the food has gotten better and better and better as they've upgraded the menu and are constantly offering new and inventive food. The menu is extensive, and they have a separate bar menu, which offers smaller dishes which are excellent. And, the late night jazz is fabulous. This restaurant is many people's favorite, so I suggest reservations, as while other places may be half empty the Knick is often full of regulars of all ages.Special Features:
- SMOKIEDined on 7/2/2014BEEN COMING HERE FOR YEARS...ALWAYS A GREAT EXPERIENCE IN EVERY WAYSpecial Features:
- Classic steakhouse and decent pastathyzDined on 6/30/2014Do nit miss out on the creamed spinach. Daily specials are usually very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/27/2014I always love dining at the Knickerbocker Bar and Grill because it is an authentic old fashioned steak house with great T Bone steaks and all the trimmings just the way I like 'em!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trip!SargeDined on 6/24/2014The ambience is what I would consider "old NY," exactly what I wanted. A place to relax and enjoy a good, substantial meal. The waiter was very cordial and helpful. He knew the menu, wine list and the bar. The Knickerbocker was recommended by a friend and it didn't disappoint. I'll come back to the Knickerbocker when I get back to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on University PlacePeterVIPDined on 6/19/2014When walking on University Place in the evening I often see tourists, visitors, looking at menus in windows to make a dining choice and sometimes I step up and tell them 'go to The Knickerboker, if you can get in. Simply the best, oldest, most reliable place to dine on University. The steaks are appealing, the chicken paillard amazing, fresh pasta, fresh fish, great salads. We have been going there since the early 90s. Ownership takes great pride in being the reliable home to the neighborhood and they have live jazz nights and a base for sports fans at their barSpecial Features:
- DisappointingDoroVIPDined on 6/15/2014We have been going there for years and the level of service this trip was inexcusable. Waited 45 minutes after getting drinks to get a piece of bread and take our order. Food came out equally as slow. Food was ok. Some better than others. Staff was very polite and apologetic but clearly they were understaffed. 2 1/2 hrs. No coffee or dessert.
- Fun at the Knick!!JessVIPDined on 6/12/2014Always good service and good food. I come here a lot to meet friends as does my husband. This is one of our favorite restaurants in the Village.Special Features:
- DGaudDined on 6/9/2014Great dinner Steak was wonderful and plenty, nice wine list, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodlollaDined on 6/6/2014very good creamt spinach and mashed potatoes.romantic ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening, as alwaysQuatorzeVIPDined on 5/31/2014This place never disappoints, and requests, such as a booth to accommodate ad older person with more limited mobility, are always taken into account. The specials of the day are always worth considering; the chef is inventive and the ingredients are usually seasonal and at their best. The oysters and steak are both top-notch, as is virtually everything. The lunch menu often has a sublime BLT, with roasted tomatoes, romaine and very good bread. The sandwich of the day, being the chef's inspiration, is always a good bet too. Try the sundae of the day for dessert, though be sure to ask for the cherry on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT & GETTING Better and Better!SOSYDined on 5/27/2014WE LOVE THE KNICKERBOCKER. We go here all the time, it's our favorite restaurant. We come for every and all occasions, with groups, dinner for two or four, dinner for one or two in the bar. The menu keeps getting more and more inventive. I like fish, my husband loves the steaks. We both adore the salads, the bar menu is nifty and the desserts are fabulous. We absolutely love the Knick. The staff, service drinks, and on and on. There's a reason why it's always packed. It's a first rate place. We do suggest reservations.Special Features:
- Great for a Group of FriendsgramercygourmetDined on 5/25/2014Knickerbocker's a great place to celebrate with a group of friends. The food's great, too, starting with corn bread that everyone dives for as soon as it hits the table. They have the best frisee salad that's almost a meal in itself as well a terrific beet salad. My carnivore friends who always order beef tell me it has one of the best steaks in the city. Some desserts are better than others, but by the time I've gotten to that part of the meal, I'm already way too full to care.Special Features:
- Amazing SteakJerseyGirlDined on 5/18/2014The T bone steak was AMAZING!!!! the appetizers were out of this world! It gets packed in there and its totally understandable.. Book a reservation arrive early and prep yourself to take leftovers home... portions are plenty to share and then some.Special Features:
- Great food...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014The caviar pie is a must try, you will not be disappointed!!Special Features:
- BrooklynFoodieDined on 5/16/2014Great service, excellent meal. Food choices to suit everyone. Thoroughly enjoyed our time at Knickerbocker Bar and Grill. Would recommend it highly and look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- For the love of steakLuvgr8foodDined on 5/14/2014We had a wonderful Caesar salad and we shared a porterhouse steak for two among three women. We had 2 sides, the French fries and the sautéed spinach. The food was great and there was enough for 3 women to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LelandoVIPDined on 5/12/2014Knickerbocker has real old world charm. We brought friends visiting from the UK and we all loved our meal. The service was great and the steaks were very tasty. The most pleasant surprise for me was the great value for wine and drinks. There was a tremendous selection of bottles of wine priced at $40, which is at least 50% less expensive than other steak houses. The staff was friendly and attentive. This was my first time at Knickerbocker and we will be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reininnyDined on 5/9/2014we came to taste the real american t-bone steak. the meat was well cooked; different taste of different parts, where only some parts were really of high level quality. steak is ok, but there must be better steakhouses in NY. enormous quantity. side dishes are very simple. entrees with lot of ketchup-made sauce, which is not so refined. wooden tables, without draperies, accents this overall casual and simple presentation. service very casual, fast, friendly. The ambiance is like an open brasserie, with a lot of in-outgoing. nice wine chart, we had italian wine, that fits well with T-bone. overall quite expensive, low qualitity/price ratioSpecial Features:
- Who ya gonna call?PeterVIPDined on 5/4/2014You are in Greenwich Village, want a complete meal with fair portions, fair prices and reliable from soup to salad, from specials to T-bone, cornbread and pasta. This is the place and has been for decades. Old reliable. Who ya gonna call? Knickerbocker!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 554 reviews are from the Knickerbocker Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- ClassyEatoutDined on 4/24/2014I work in the area and have been dining here for about 20 years. The quality of the steaks and seafood has remained consistent. This is an excellent place for a work celebration, romantic dinner or if you are simply in the mood for top quality Porterhouse. One is never rushed here, so relax and enjoy the timeless ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a great timeQuatorzeVIPDined on 4/20/2014Took a party of eight here on Easter, early in the evening. Chose that time to avoid the Easter brunch crunch. It was perfect, the staff was relaxed and the food was great, as always. Great steak, sublime creamed spinach and oysters, all washed down with cocktails. It was like Old New York, but without the cigarettes...Special Features:
- Old-fashioned in a great way.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014This is the second time we've dined at the Knickerbocker with a large group and both times the service and food were excellent. Portions are large, and every dish was deemed delicious. Our group ordered filet mignon, pasta, chicken pailliard, and burgers. One note I would make is to be sure that when ordering a kid's meal, one should confirm that it is to be billed as a kid's meal, and not as an adult's. My 10-year-old nephew ordered a hamburger after we had asked about kids' options, and he was given (and we paid for) a very large adult meal, which he could not finish. Also, the wine list by the glass is a bit limited, but I did enjoy the Bordeaux that I ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.