Knickerbocker Bar and Grill
33 University Place
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Knickerbocker Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.knickerbockerbarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2122288490
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00pm; Burnch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:45am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Derrick Van Duzer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater a party to fit your needs.
- Entertainment: Knickerbocker has had "Live Jazz" since the days when the village had "Live Jazz". Harry Connick Jr. got his start here, back in the late 80"s. Names like Junior Mance, Bucky Pizzarelli and Ben Wolf now show up on our schedule. We have live jazz on Friday & Saturday nights, starting at 9:45pm till 2:00am. There is a small $3.00 cover charge at the tables after 10:00 pm, or just stop in at the bar for a drink, with no cover.
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Public Transit: The 6 train at Astor place, or the R & N to 8th street are just a block away. Other stations like Union Square & West 4th street are just a short walk away and have most train lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking on the street is usually easy to find. The meters finish at 7:00pm, and the other street parking is available after 6:00pm. There are parking lots on the approach to the restaurant on 9th street or 8th street.
A word from Knickerbocker Bar and Grill
Knickerbocker is known for its great Jazz and its 28 oz. T- Bone Steaks and is a favorite among many celebrities including F. Murray Abraham, Chris Noth and Ben Stiller. Rachel Ray listed us in her "NYC Favorites" and has praised our Shrimp Cocktail, Creamed Spinach, and of course our T- Bone Steaks. The word "Knickerbocker" itself, says "New York". Upon entering, you’ll know you're in the Village. Its wood paneled walls sport rare turn of the century posters and original caricatures by Al Hirschfield. Large leather booths line the walls and brass rails accent the 100 year old marble bar, where Charles Lindbergh signed his Trans Atlantic contract. We have survived the times by using the freshest ingredients from local markets, and offering good solid value and quality. Our wine list offers over 100 selections, most under $50. We serve until late (weekends 2:00 AM) and offer a Bistro Menu with lighter fare. We offer Brunch on the Weekends, and are open on all Holidays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Knickerbocker Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (40)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (29)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (25)late-night find (19)notable wine list (13)vibrant bar scene (12)romantic (10)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)Show More
- T-bone steakOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014It was marvelous to have dinner with you. When we're in NY we want to eat the famous T- bone steak!Special Features:
- Great placeMarcelDined on 10/22/2014A terrific New York bar/restaurant, don't miss it...Special Features:
- As alwaysQuatorzeVIPDined on 10/18/2014A wonderful time was had by all. Fussy foodies were happy, the noise level is low, so conversation is easy and the staff are always friendly.Special Features:
- Old school but charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014This restaurant is like going into a time warp in every way. Old style tables, rugs, and layout. Yet, this is not a negative thing. The food was excellent and the noise level was moderate, allowing comfortable conversation. It reminded me of restaurants my parents took me to, but these are great memories and this place preserves an old school dining experience in a very positive way.Special Features:
- Great foodLuvgr8foodVIPDined on 10/13/2014We had a wonderful Caesar salad which we shared. Next we shared the pasta of the day-a penne with sausages in a delicious sauce. Lastly we shared magnificent fried chicken, which came with mashed potatoes and slaw. We usually order steak, but this time we deviated from the usual and weren't disappointed. Of course we will return.Special Features:
- FriendsJackDined on 10/12/2014It like eating outwith friends. friendly waiters good food and you are able to talk to each other at a normal volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for EveryoneDukeVIPDined on 10/9/2014Varied menu with enough choices to satisfy all tastes. Convivial atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaliforniaLizDined on 10/5/2014Beautiful ambience -- great oysters and clams. They really go all-out to accommodate our big party, and made it all so fun. Even sang Happy Birthday. Our local find, and we always come back when we get together in NYC...Special Features:
- Early dinnerSiestagirl65Dined on 10/5/2014Dined on my last night in NYC before heading to the airport. Ordered house special ribeye which was excellent. Comes with baked potato and creamed spinach. Didn't like the taste of the spinach but steak more than made up for it. My daughter had the lobster bisque which was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Timeless GemDDIBDined on 10/4/2014The Knickerbocker is a sure thing. The food, ambiance and service are as good as it gets! Yummy apps, steaks cooked to perfection, sides that bring out the love and a chocolate souffle to cry for! In an ever changing New York food landscape, one can count on The Knick to deliver great food, drink, service and Jazz (weekends) in a classic intimate setting every time!Special Features:
- the Knickerbocker Bar and GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/1/2014Everything about this restaurant is great! The food, the ambiance, the service - Everything. And the prices are reasonable. The t-bone steak is the best and can be shared by two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- music and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Fine food and excellent jazz on weekends. Awonerful asset to my New York City visits!Special Features:
- Knickerbocer Always Hits the SpotRonCDined on 9/24/2014As usual, this is a good choice. For the quality of food the prices are reasonable and the service is always excellent. The room is spacious and you never feel crowded in. The decor is New York steak house. Especially interesting are the original "Hirschfeld" posters on the wall.Special Features:
- CathyCathyDined on 9/20/2014Never disappointed! I love the atmosphere it makes me feel so comfortable ( we requested a booth), food is delicious...my son and husband ordered Steak for Two and I ordered the Chicken Pot Pie which was amazing, plus there was plenty of food; they do not skimp on portions. The waiter was attentive but not hovering and we did not feel a bit rushed, dinner was all at our pace. Love the Nickerbocker Grill.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood diningLoverestaurantsDined on 9/15/2014The restaurant is always reliable, always has good food, nice setting very quite. Has jazz on weekends if interested. great booths if desired - a fun place to eat is in the bar area - same menu but a little more casual. Staff is usually very informative - great specials. Always has allot of oysters for one to decide. Steak is very goodJust an overall nice restaurant. Everyone I know took their parents there when they visit the city but good to go with a bunch of younger people alsoSpecial Features:
- Wonderful! Wonderful!WendyGDined on 9/15/2014The restaurant is beautiful and comfortable; the servers are caring; the menu is diverse; AND the food is just delicious.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsLauraBDined on 9/11/2014Haven't been here in years. Group of four and the food was great, from fish, to chicken to mussels to liver. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Staff very accommodating and friendly. Good service. Will go back.Special Features:
- Carne eccellente !AndreaDined on 8/27/2014Ristorante dalla bella atmosfera, con carne eccellente e personale molto gentile ed attento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014We jave eaten here many times and have always enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For serious food and conversationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014One thing that people who work in the city are always complaining about, is the problem of getting affordable places where one can have a good working lunch. I personally have had to score through so many resturants to get a place that offers good food, but does not saddle you with a huge bill, sub-par service and NOISE! Knickerbock is close to my work, has superlative service, a wide range of good food and does believe that the its customers will want to talk to each during the meal. They make you comfortable, the music is turned low and the food is yum. Definitely one of my go to places.Special Features:
- A New York ClassicFrequentvisitorDined on 8/20/2014A regular hangout for locals to the Washington Square area, the Knickerbocker is also worth the effort for those farther a field. The menu offers a variety of 'comfort food' with steaks the standout. Hamburgers are excellent (and they'll make you one at dinner time even though it's only on the lunch menu). Meatloaf is almost as good as Mom's. There's no adventure in the food preparation, and no one on a diet should come. But it's a great place to meet old friends and talk an hour longer than you expected. There's a pleasant bar area and jazz on many evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favourite NYC RestaurantSungate123Dined on 8/18/2014Every time in NYC we come here and it never fails to deliver. Food and service is exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HimeVIPDined on 8/16/2014I always find great food and nice music to go with.Special Features:
- Good steak - average expirienceKollundDKDined on 8/15/2014The steak itself were good and tender. The side orders nothing special. The staff was freindly and helpful, but nothing extraordinary. The restaurant has seen better days. Expensive and not worth the money compared to other steak houses.Special Features:
- Great place to dine!TopBrassDined on 8/9/2014Been here several times. Always liked the look and feel of the decor. Food service great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasure to Dine HereLLNYCDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I lived near and enjoyed many a meal at Knickerbocker for several years. When back in the neighborhood, or if we're at home for a big holiday, we return. Over time, Knickerbocker has maintained consistently fine food, and friendly service and atmosphere. The "past-of-New York" graphics on the walls let you know you're in a quintessential New York restaurant. And you can enjoy good live music here (check the restaurant's schedule for days and times).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in GreenwichFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014Every dish is outstanding, impeccable service and very reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- Perfect NY eveningtcjrDined on 8/2/2014Had guests in from Italy. Knickerbocker offered the perfect NY experience: tasty cocktails, great steaks, cool jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rendezvous NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014If you want to show your non American friends all that is good about American cuisine then this is the place to go! Of course the steaks are perfect and well served, but it is the little extra's (cornbread and sour dough bread) - even German bread experts are impressed! Then there is the chocolate souflé...heavenly. All this served in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere with walls decorated with NYC posters and cartoons. Add Live Jazz combo and the American urban dining experience is complete. Oh I should mention the waiter who anticipated our needs and responded perfectly. In an urban jungle of fast food joints and affected overpriced top restaurants the Knickerbocker is gem of pure American unpretentious fine dining. It is just great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of TownersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We thought the food was very good and well presented. Service was also very good, and our server had a very nice demeanor and was very attentive to our needs. We would go again, and recommend to others.Special Features:
- University Place? You go herePeterVIPDined on 7/22/2014There is no place with the success rate of Knickerbocker in GV. The steaks, fresh pasta, seafood that's fresh. Service is friendly and almost homey. What other restaurant this big is full every night in GV? Because every night you can count on consistently fresh, tasty food and their private cornbread.Special Features:
- wordpicturVIPDined on 7/14/2014We've been eating here for ten years. It's always great. Menu changes, wine list changes, but the look and vibe remain. Great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm environmentAlexDined on 7/10/2014Great food, very helpful waitress who McAfee we feel home and led us through excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Filet!NYCtravelerDined on 7/6/2014The filet mignon is the best I've ever had! The service is fabulous? They make you feel very much at home.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014My partner and I celebrated our 44th & 45th birthday. We do this every year at Knickerbocker. We want to thank you Charles and Boris so much for a wonderful evening and another great dining experience. Thank you chef for the wonderful steaks. It would be nice to meet the chef once in a while to put a face to the great cuisines. I was sad to hear that the souffle is only available in chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite RestaurantSOSYDined on 7/2/2014We go to "The Knick" all the time. Have for about thirty years. It's a restaurant that has evolved over the years, and the food has gotten better and better and better as they've upgraded the menu and are constantly offering new and inventive food. The menu is extensive, and they have a separate bar menu, which offers smaller dishes which are excellent. And, the late night jazz is fabulous. This restaurant is many people's favorite, so I suggest reservations, as while other places may be half empty the Knick is often full of regulars of all ages.Special Features:
- SMOKIEDined on 7/2/2014BEEN COMING HERE FOR YEARS...ALWAYS A GREAT EXPERIENCE IN EVERY WAYSpecial Features:
- Classic steakhouse and decent pastathyzDined on 6/30/2014Do nit miss out on the creamed spinach. Daily specials are usually very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 571 reviews are from the Knickerbocker Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- Great steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/27/2014I always love dining at the Knickerbocker Bar and Grill because it is an authentic old fashioned steak house with great T Bone steaks and all the trimmings just the way I like 'em!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trip!SargeDined on 6/24/2014The ambience is what I would consider "old NY," exactly what I wanted. A place to relax and enjoy a good, substantial meal. The waiter was very cordial and helpful. He knew the menu, wine list and the bar. The Knickerbocker was recommended by a friend and it didn't disappoint. I'll come back to the Knickerbocker when I get back to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.