2556 W. Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60647Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://knewrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7737727721
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Omar O. Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: A private room that seats up to 75 guests in an elegant well thought out space.
- Private Party Contact: Ryvkah Goodman-Rodriguez 7737727721
A word from (K)new
Chef Omar Rodriguez have created a space that is warm, simple and modern. They have created a space not to distract from Rodriguez"s fusion of seasonal ingredients and global creations. Living his passion for food and working in some of Chicago's finest kitchens, Chef Rodriguez is meeting his patrons' expectations for excellent cuisine. He continues to please with creativity and passion. Join him for Chicago's only BYOB Chef's Table, where Chef Rodriguez will personally serve every course. (K)new does not require that infants or small children are included in party size for online reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
(K)new reviews from OpenTable diners
- Who new how GREAT (K)new is?!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/17/2012Great restaurant in Logan Square! And we could actually have a conversation without shouting at each other. We had two amazing appetizers and especially LOVED the smoked salmon on a potato nest with creme freiche. Pork tenderloin with bacon and dates was scrumptuois. We'll definitely go back. Plus plenty of street parking and a very gracious, well-informed wait staff. Such a beautiful presentation for a delicious chocolate birthday dessert, too.Special Features:
- very laid back timing(so don'tOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/8/2012very laid back timing(so don't be in a hurry here). Our party of four all enjoyed the food.
- While some of the entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/26/2012While some of the entrees were very good, some were OK. The biggest problem is that k(new) is understaffed and service is very slow. Unfortunately, this colored the evening. We were at the restaurant for 2 1/2 hours ( it wasn't particularly busy).
- The food, as always, was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2012The food, as always, was wonderful. Six of us were there on a Wednesday night and unfortunately, there were only a couple of other tables occupied. The chef's wife was our server and treated us like guests in her home. We love a slow dinner and this place suits us very well, since all dishes are made to order and take a little time to prepare. We loved Think and Knew doesn't disappoint.Special Features:
- There was only one waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2012There was only one waitress on duty for what appeared to be the night. The waitress was very attentive at the earlier part of the dinner, while there were no others in the restaurant, however once the restaurant started filling up the frequency of service declined. The level of service was great, however. the food was good - I had the rack of lamb and it was good. The desserts, however, were outstanding!
- We had a wonderful time atOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2012We had a wonderful time at (k)new. The food was excellent and the place was very comfortable. never felt rushed. The owner/chef's wife was running the front and she was very helpful in recomending things to eat. I enjoy a byob and this place was great.Special Features:
- Food fair... Not as good asOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2012Food fair... Not as good as their old Rest called Think.
- How nice to go to a neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012How nice to go to a neighborhood restaurant and have a really good meal AND be able to hear the people across the table from you too. This is BYO which is perfect as we like to bring our wine (and they had decent wine glasses and a decanter available which was very nice!). Salads were very good if not beautifully presented. All the proteins on the menu were delicious (pork medallions,beef tenderloin and lamb chops; the pasta was just ok. Great smoked salmon appetizer. And the desserts were beautifully presented and were also delicious and different enough to be memorable. This is a family operation with everyone kicking in on the service side -- they could not have been nicer but for some it might seem slow.Special Features:
- This was our second time here.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2012This was our second time here. Food is always very good! I ordered the rack of lamb last time. This time I ordered the bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin. My boyfriend ordered beef something last time. This time he ordered the chicken. Dessert was a warm chocolate brownie with white chocolate and turtle gelato. Awesome! I gave this Knew a "Very Good" rating because this time around there were about 3 or 4 pasta entrees and no really good meat dish other than the duck and my my boyfriend doesn't eat pork. If we wanted so many pasta options we would have gone to an Italian restaurant. But, he enjoyed the appetizer which was a beef tenderloin w/blue cheese. Every dish I ordered has always been good there. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- The food was wonderful - forChuckVIPDined on 9/29/2012The food was wonderful - for this alone we will return. Service was slow because they were understaffed. The servers that were there worked hard to make up the deficit, but were at times overwhelmed. This is a new place so hopefully they will get that issue resolved.Special Features:
- This is a great restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012This is a great restaurant. My husband and I love to go there for a romantic dinner. The food is simply delicious and very creative for people who are looking for something special and memorable. The service is very friendly, we love to chat with the owner. This restaurant is a must, especially if you like Lula or Telegraph. It's Byob so the bill is as smooth as the food.Special Features:
- Logan Square GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2012This husband-wife owned and run establishment has been in the neighborhood for quite a while, if you consider its predecessor (Think Cafe) opened in 2001. We stopped in on a Wed night for the $21 3-course prix fixe, which is honestly a steal. Every course was well executed. The grilled portabella, green tomato & grilled shrimp stacked with pesto salad was fresh and flavorful. Prime filet medallions and bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin were both tender and perfect. The white chocolate mousse topping on the brownie cupcake was like the most perfect whipped cream you ever had... Chef Omar stopped by and chatted after our meal - he bakes and cooks everything himself. Quite an impressive meal in a nice warm atmosphere. Highly recommended. BYOBSpecial Features:
- Knew is a very very good restaurantjake123VIPDined on 9/7/2012Knew is a very very good restaurant with few diners; I don't understand why it's not busier. The staff is very helpful, and the food very well prepared and beautifully presented.
- This is a family-run restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/7/2012This is a family-run restaurant. The food is always outstanding. It is one of the best BYOB restaurants in Chicago. We always have a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- This is the worst restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/21/2012This is the worst restaurant that I have ever gone to in Chicago. We were seated for an hour and a half before a waitress even came to our table (they only have one waitress for the entire restaurant). We then waited for our food for an hour and half, and when it came, it was terrible. There was no flavor at all and it wasn't cooked properly (the duck was well done instead of medium rare). The dinner took 4 hours given the incredibly slow service.
- Food can't save the awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/21/2012It's unfortunate to find a new place whose poor service so badly undermines its food. The food was almost uniformly excellent. My wife and I tried two apps: the piquillo peppers and smoked salmon, both of which were great (particularly the salmon). My wife enjoyed the bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin for her entree, and I thoroughly enjoyed the duck breast. The only misstep was the mushroom risotto that accompanied my dish--it was drab, unpleasant and completely lacking in seasoning. As for the service, ugh. We were seated and spent 30 minutes sitting without menus before the ONE server (on a Saturday night) acknowledged us. We witnessed two groups leave without being served. It was the most atrocious service I've ever experienced.Special Features:
- WHAT A NIGHTOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2012I was out on a romantic evening, and the food was excellent and the waitress was very helpful with selections!!!! I somewhat hope this place stays a hidden gem, I will be BACK!!!!Special Features:
- The service was good, attentive,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/23/2012The service was good, attentive, but very slow. We were aware of that (Slowness) comment from other reviews and went in with an open mind... it was still slow. 2.5 hours for a 2 course meal. Overall the food was bland and not cooked well enough to shift the balance of the dinner. If you go, bring a good bottle of wine and enjoy great conversation.
- Well worth the drive to W.LuvfreshandlightVIPDined on 6/22/2012Well worth the drive to W. Fullerton Ave. The food is consistently delicious! Can't wait for Omar's hand made mint chocolate ice cream with mint grown in his garden.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2012Really disappointed as Think was an amazing gem. Very odd evening: from the woman who sat us; to the server not explaining the prix-fixe rules and regulations; to the server not knowing they were out of multiple menu items (she had to come back to the table after ordering twice to inform us our choices were no longer available). The food was the real letdown for ALL 4 of us. I had such high hopes. Soory (k)new - we will not be back!
- Great little spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2012We went to this lovely little restaurant for a great anniversary dinner date. The place has a neighborhoody feel but is well-maintained, feeling more open and airy than a neighborhood joint. Chef Omar and his maitre d wife leave nothing to chance. Each dish is hand-crafted and made-to-order. We had amazing muscles (with a bit of crushed red pepper), a lovely beet and orange salad to start. My wife had a spinach and chicken dish that was summer citrus in flavor. I had my first ever buffalo steak served with peppercorn and a great reduction sauce. For desert we had a chocolate brownie cup and with mousse and iciest cream which Chef Omar accented with a lovely "Happy Anniversary!" Service was welcoming, warm and chatty. BYOBSpecial Features:
- Great Food and friendly familyDoc1VIPDined on 6/15/2012Great Food and friendly family owned restaurant. Great coconut crusted talapia and Chicken artichoke pasta. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- We went on a Wednesday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2012We went on a Wednesday night for my birthday. There was only 1 server/hostess which was bad management. It took a bit to get seated and quiet some time to get our order in because of low staffing. At first my fiancé wanted the pre-fixe menu but it had to be ordered by both of us because of a no sharing rule, which was ridiculous. We both had the mussel saffron soup which was out of the world. The chef came out to help with serving and he was very nice! My fiancé’s pasta with chicken & spinach was okay; there was not much flavor. My cavapatti with lobster and shrimp was delish! Also the waffle cone dessert was pretty good too. Overall, I say this is a good place since the service could have been better and 1 of our 2 main dishes was good.
- I've heard good reviews butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012I've heard good reviews but on this night there was only one server working and she spent more time telling us her life story than serving food. Food was fine, nothing special.
- (K)new is one of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2012(K)new is one of our favorites because the owners love their food. The setting is dark and intimate for dinner; better for a romantic two-person meal than a group party. We have brought our (elementary aged) child and the staff were kind and welcoming to him; however, the tastes are more complex than most kids will enjoy. Get a babysitter and bring your favorite wine--(K)new will help you find an excellent dish to match it. And they will ably recommend neighborhood spots for after-dinner cocktails.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2012The food is very unique, original plates, the atmosphere very relaxed, the staff very friendly, over all great service! I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Once again, Chef Omar outEllenVIPDined on 5/5/2012Once again, Chef Omar out did himself. The food is alway fresh and imaginative. What a great restaurant, byob, relatively easy to park and close to the Kennedy, K(new) is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Would absolutely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2012Make tracks to this off-the-beaten-path BYOB (easy walk from the California El stop or off the Kennedy). The focus is farm-to-fork with a focus on game. The smoked salmon appetizer was creative, avoiding the potential of being heavy. The baby arugula salad was remarkable (impressive for a salad), and the risotto that was paired with the duck breast (an absolute steal) left me wondering how I could improve my own risotto. Dessert is not usually my thing and left me a bit unimpressed but we were treated to a spur of the moment offering by the chef - JUST made fresh ricotta with berries and house made chocolate, better than anything I saw on the rest of the menu. Only regret for a BYOB of this caliber was the stemware which could be improved.Special Features:
- Service was very slow. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/21/2012Service was very slow. The food was fine. It was cheap so that helped.
- Oh (k)new. You want so badlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/21/2012Oh (k)new. You want so badly to be good. I have had great meals within your walls. But please, I beg you, hire some professional front staff. I appreciate the sentiment (and monetary value) of having your children wait on your guests, and this would be charming in, say, a diner or breakfast joint. However, I really think that a professional server and/or busser would make it sting a little less when ticket times are climbing toward 45 minutes, per person average is climbing toward $45 (without wine), I am being refused bread because there isn't enough, I have to ask repeatedly for a water refill, and my request for a specific table isn't honored.Special Features:
- Cozy pleasant surroundings.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2012Cozy pleasant surroundings. Spectacular food with lovely presentation. Unfortunately, the service left much to be desired - one server for the entire restaurant on a fairly crowded Saturday night - one of our meals was erroneously omitted and by the time we would have received our coffee, we'd have been finished with dessert so told them to skip the coffee.
- Great food, attentive service,vinoloverDined on 4/20/2012Great food, attentive service, great ambiance. This is a little gem of a BYO in Logan Square. I hear they have a prix fixe on Wednesday nights. Must check it out.Special Features:
- I really liked the vibe andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2012I really liked the vibe and mood at (K)new. It's a family owned and operated restaurant, and everyone is really working hard. Our Open Table Reservation was seen, but they sat us right away anyway. The food was great, very tasty, good portions (not too little/too much). The only downside is that we waited 2-plus hours for our food and missed our movie. They apologized repeatedly, but sorry loses its meaning after awhile. They need more help, or to refuse big groups on busy Saturdays. I would give it another try though, as the food was great and they were very nice.Special Features:
- The food was great, I enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2012The food was great, I enjoyed everything we had. I felt bad because they seemed to be understaffed and the waitress was doing her best but our dinner took 3 1/2 hours!
- Great neigborhood find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2012I go to this place often as it is in the neighborhood. It is WONDERFUL! The staff is courteous and energetic and the food is not only incredibly well priced but delicious!Special Features:
- Menu has all of the specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2012Menu has all of the specials from Think. Well executed preparation, pork entree was excellent. Deserts outstanding. Definitely worth a visit. Note that the chef has just returned to work after some serious medical issues.Special Features:
- The food was so good I wishedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2012The food was so good I wished there were more tables in there had a dead feeling to it, more people need to know about this place and go there!Special Features:
- I guess this was a rare occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2012I guess this was a rare occasion but there was no one in the place but us. Which was perfect for me because it was my birthday. The server was very attentive and although they did not have everything on the menu, they di have what I wanted the Rack of lamb. The lamb was absolutely fabulous. Everything was prepared as if it was seasoned with a little bit of love. and the dessert was also amazing. This is definitely a place that I will come back to.Special Features:
- Overall, food was very indifferent,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/10/2012Overall, food was very indifferent, staff kind of different.
- Excellent prie fixe meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/7/2012Excellent prie fixe meal. Love the BYO. Had great time with friends.Special Features: