Klein's Fish Market, Waterside Cafe, Grill Room and Sushi Bar
708 River Road
Belmar, NJ 07719Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Klein's Fish Market, Waterside Cafe, Grill Room and Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kleinsfish.com/
- Phone: (732) 681-1177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday- Thursday 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday 4:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00 pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kent Partoll
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Klein's Fish Market, Waterside Cafe, Grill Room and Sushi Bar
Where at the Jersey Shore can you find two restaurants, a Tiki Bar, River Bar, and Sushi Bar, and a fresh off the boat seafood market all on one magnificent waterfront stretch of real estate? Easy Answer: Klein's Fish Market, Waterside Cafe, Grill Room and Sushi Bar. The Klein family has been operating Klein's Fish Market on River Road in Belmar for the past 80 years. Klein's offers fresh seafood from all over the world, and has expanded the business to include two riverfront outdoor bars, an expansive all you care to eat Sunday Brunch buffet, and the ever popular Sushi Bar. The restaurant also hosts private parties and offers an extensive catering menu. Klein's imparts the family flavor to its customers with an embracing, familiar and friendly service style, taking care to assure that each customers needs are properly met. The Fish Market and Waterside Cafe, with its relaxed atmosphere, and The Grill Room's casual upscale restaurant, both feature great dining options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Klein's Fish Market, Waterside Cafe, Grill Room and Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Belmar ›
Klein's Fish Market, Waterside Cafe, Grill Room and Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (48)scenic view (39)neighborhood gem (31)great for lunch (27)good for groups (21)kid-friendly (19)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (16)romantic (12)great for brunch (11)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- where's the fishMikeDined on 11/1/2013Room was dark had a hard time reading the menu. Sea food selection was small. No salad with meal.Special Features:
- See review below please andTD557Dined on 10/25/2013See review below please and use it if you so desire.
- Best Steamers Around!MadonnaVIPDined on 10/20/2013YUM! The steamers are always wonderful here. It's a modest but pleasant wine list and until winter really arrives, it's great to sit outside and see the water, the boats and catch a sunset.Special Features:
- DinnerFoodie1Dined on 10/7/2013The Sushi was excellent... as good or better than many Japanese Sushi Restaurants... .we really enjoyed our dinnerSpecial Features:
- Lobster was great!lynn325Dined on 10/6/2013I usually study the menu and then order the clam bake since it has everything I like.Special Features:
- OK but not great.....NotHappyVIPDined on 10/4/2013I am a bit torn giving this review. I have enjoyed many Happy Hours at Kleins. However, my first sit-down dining experience left a return visit in much doubt. There are better seafood restaurants around and there are worse. Klein simply did not distinguish itself on this evening. Biggest gripe....too long waiting for our first drink (bottle of wine). Second gripe .... roasted clams. They were definitely not worth the price.Special Features:
- ordered an omelette , it tookLindyVIPDined on 9/29/2013ordered an omelette , it took 30 mins before arriving, I did ask the server after 20 minsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing diinernittanyhokieDined on 9/28/2013Our Sat. night dinner at Klein's was not very good. My husband ordered the lobster tails and they were so dry and tasteless. I had the shrimp/Pasta combo. The shrimp were good, the pasta mushy. Ugh! the service was scarce due to understaffing. We sat a table for two and had to duck constantly because wait staff were right on top. Our chair and table were uneven. Do not recommend.
- Great location and great food!!!IrishacoVIPDined on 9/23/2013Great location and great food!!! Love this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious clamsPeggyDined on 9/21/2013We couldn't stop praising the clams on the half shell, but everything else was great too! Monika was our server and she was very attentive and professional. They honored our reservation even though the dining room was packed in Saturday night. It was a bit loud and very hard to hear each other but I guess that's to be expected with such a large crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOutforDinnerDined on 9/21/2013Our seating was perfect for the type of restaurant. Heaters warmed the outdoor patio. We sat at a table right on the water at 7:30 in the evening . Hostess was not very warm or friendly, and although our waitress was attentive , apparently our table was missing an assistant wait staff . We had to ask for silverware, bread, bread/appetizer plates, and water to drink ( twice). My sons meal cost $8.99 and consisted of a mushy cold bowl of Kraft macaroni and cheese. The rest of the meal was ok. Really not the food quality I had expected . Location is good for kids and boat / bridge/ train watching. I would try lunch if I were to go again and my kids would stick to chicken finger meal which was a much better value.Special Features:
- Average Seafood at the Jersey ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2013Average is the word to describe Kleins ... The decore was dated ... Food average ... Pesto sauce bland ... Entry door not clearly marked ... Entrance to restaurant was through the take away cashier / kitchen.
- Disappointing Experiencejar11Dined on 9/16/2013Lunch was poor. Crab cake was overdone, dry and small. Bun was stale. Poor presentation.Special Features:
- Dining outsideLuvoutsidediningDined on 9/9/2013Nice relaxing atmosphere - food was good. We were not rushed but then again it was a Monday in September. Service was not great - took too long for initial drink order and then forgot our second round of drinks. You go for atmosphere and that was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wlonderful Shore classicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/8/2013Can;t go wrong with great seafoood, wonderful brunch and waterside diningSpecial Features:
- Good food but hard to find!lovingfoodDined on 9/7/2013Other than a chaotic arrival scene (no one guiding patrons to correct area for dining) the experience was a positive one and the food was really good. The restaurant is difficult to find and the GPS left us dangling on River Road approaching the bridge. The directions from the website were not helpful and need improvement.Special Features:
- Totally Disappointedpkp1Dined on 9/4/2013Four of us went to Klein's for my daughter's Birthday celebration. We had a 7pm reservation but still had to wait 15 min. When seated we were given some bread but there were no plates or utensils on the table. had to go to the hostess to ask Waited 15 min. for out drinks and another 45 min. for our appetizers. The food was terrible. The frogmore stew was a total joke. Seafood in shells and corn on cob in a stew??? Salmon overcooked and dry, the rice hard and cold. King crab legs good hard work as the cracker was terrible, no seafood fork provided. The only one who was satisfied with their meal had only ordered a salad. I thought that it was terribly overpriced also. Would never go back to Klein's again.Special Features:
- Referral was on spotSpringLakeDinerDined on 9/3/2013We were referred to Klein's and it was a perfect fit for us. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish on the waterRavensburggeistVIPDined on 9/1/2013Everyone loved their meal: jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce, freshly prepared sushi, and great lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freshest fishAnnMVIPDined on 9/1/2013Great sushi! For non fish eaters, the burgers and steaks are good, too. But let's face it, you come for the freshest fish and seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Monday Night DinnerNYCCoupleDined on 8/26/2013Because of the crowds that can fill Klein's at peak hours, we had not visited for several years. We decided to get dinner there late on a Monday night in August, while on the Jersey Shore. The restaurant was quiet and we were seated immediately in an outdoor (but covered) location overlooking the river. As we were not far from the bar area we heard the live music, which we enjoyed (but be aware if looking for a quiet spot). Service was attentive but not intrusive, with refills on beverages as needed. Dinner seemed a bit slow in coming out, but was worth the wait. Both our sauteed soft shell crab and lobster tail platter were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place, reservation didn't workAlyssDined on 8/24/2013They said they had no reservation for me and don't even take reservations for Saturdays !!!!Special Features:
- Venue: Very nice Food: CalamariJerseygirl1611Dined on 8/22/2013Venue: Very nice Food: Calamari was sliced too thin, chewy, lots of fried bits, no legs, the marinara sauce tasted like tomato paste and way too much oregano, and for the money ($12.99) the portion was too small besides being awful. Sent it back. Stuffed lobster was a crab patty thrown on top of lobster for an extra $10 and it wasn't even lump crabmeat! The lobster was tender but the amount of meat was a tease (about 6 small bites total) and overpriced. Baked potato was undercooked as well as the vegetables. We got our coffee and desert down the road and went somewhere else the next day for fabulous calamari at only $9.99Special Features:
- We sat in the air conditioned patioflyhighDined on 8/22/2013it was about 430pm and all the servers we grouped having a great time loud laughing and carrying on-it spoiled our ambience . They hung around for about a half hour until they finally disbursed. The meal was over cooked and our requests for seasoning was address--had to ask for everything at least 2 times. We were very disappointed and would not go there again.
- Old ReliablegourmetfishDined on 8/12/2013We arrived early for our reservation, but we were seated promptly, a pleasant surprise. It was a Monday but it was in the summer and Kleins can get very crowded in the summer, especially on weekends. The reason is obvious...the food is reliably very good. And, no one does crab cakes any better. Who else offers a choice of fried or broiled crab cakes? Awesome!Special Features:
- disappointing brunchclamdiggerDined on 8/11/2013I expected more in the fish line. The crab legs were dry and skimpy! My family has enjoyed dinner at Klein's, for the food is very good usually. This was our first brunch here and though what you had was good (except for the crab legs) we won't do the brunch again. The price wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- Disappointed!EllenDined on 7/31/2013We've dined at Klein's Waterside Café several times in the past. Our most recent dining experience at the Waterside Café was extremely disappointing. We were a party of 12 with a reservation on a Wednesday night. We sat immediately for our 6:30 pm reservation with half of the party facing a wall....guess that was the only table!?! At 8 pm, we complained that we still didn't have any dinner! My soft shell crabs were good; my baked potato was hard..not cooked long enough. We ate and asked for the dessert menu by 8:30.....we were informed that DESSERTS WERE SOLD OUT. I had earlier asked our waiter to bring one dessert with a candle for the Birthday Girl....never happened....perhaps because they were sold out of all desserts!?!?
- Bit of a miss this timeScottyVIPDined on 7/29/2013Usually love everything but arrive was super slow. It appeared she had too many tables at once. Had to send one if our dishes back because it was cooked to death! My lobster was tasty however I hate when they don't clean out the guts before serving it. Happy hour is the best around though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and view of the InletJAS36Dined on 7/25/2013Four friends enjoyed a great view and excellent seafood. Salmon was fresh and done as ordered(rare). Crab cake was large and meaty. Many restaurants' haven't a clue on how to do crab cakes. Klein's does. Our friends Mahi was fresh and done as ordered. Tuna was also done correctly. No complaints anywhere. Reasonable prices. We really Love this place. Sit outside and enjoy the food and the view. We regularly get clams and fish from the attached fish store to cook at home when we don't feel like "going out for dinner" or during the summer battling the crowds. Never a question of freshness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant has changed a lotAl2dunesDined on 7/25/2013I have been a happy customer for many years but this will be my last visit. The service was poor, the portions smaller and the prices have been greatly increased
- Needs some improvementnechameDined on 7/19/2013Lobster was overcooked, service was very slow, small portions, however the cheesecake was very good. Went to celebrate a birthday, would not do that again.
- Keep away on a hot day!ArgosVIPDined on 7/19/2013We've been coming to Klein's for years and have always enjoyed it. Last Friday I took three of my relatives (ages 92, 93, and 97) to Kleins for what I hoped would be a pleasant lunch. It was an incredibly hot day and we drove 2+ hours to the shore never realizing that the restaurant would not have adequate air conditioning for its customers or staff. They said that the air conditioner could not cool off the restaurant because the outside temperature was too hot but it didn't help that the door was left open with hot air blowing in. As a result the staff was rather testy and rude because they were hot and the food presentation was most unappetizing. This is the last time I would risk taking my family to this restaurant in the summer!
- Fun place for summer seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2013Fun place for summer seafood on Shark River Inlet. Abundant outdoor dining and Tiki Bar. For dinner, food and service is only fair. Better for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kline doesn't really care about youopentablereciteDined on 7/17/2013I think this restaurant has gotten too big and doesn't realize how to take care of the customer any longer. Wait staff was there to take my order, 2 of us actually, and never returned but to drop the plates on the table as well as the check. Checking in on the table is necessary. Drinks were never refilled. Food was poor to the taste nothing special stood out to get me back in the door again. I would rather catch my dinner on the local head boat than to sit down at their tables again. 2 dinners, drinks and one appetizer came to over 100.00 , but cost is of no consequence when service is there with a good meal. This is not the place to find either. Sorry!Special Features:
- reservationDebbieDined on 7/17/2013made 7pm reservation on line..waited until almost 8pm to be seated..when greeted by hostess she seemed unaware of the reservation and my request on line to be seated indoors with water view...instead she asked if we wanted to sit outside...i had to ask her several times when we would be seatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oberpricedbkbrlmarDined on 7/10/2013Poor value ordinary food,ok service.mussels overcooked and tsstless kids meals undercookedSpecial Features:
- Expectations Not Met!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2013Nice place, nice views but for what I paid and what I received definitely not worth it. Small portions, big price. The piña coladas were very good though.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchdaytripperDined on 6/27/2013Everything was wonderful! The umbrella was the only problem and our wonderful waitress replaced it ASAP! We will return soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the waterside viewcupcakeDined on 6/24/2013My friends and I come here whenever we can. The view and service are always great. My friends had the salmon and loved it. The crabcakes are usually great, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Night FunBigBob1Dined on 6/24/2013Great chowders, lobster, combo fish dinners, pasta meals, crab cakes, softshell crab, etc..Good menu selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.