Klay Oven Indian Restaurant
414 N. Orleans
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Klay Oven Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.klayovenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3125273999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Klay Oven caters to different functions throughout the year. From weddings to birthday parties, the restaurant takes pride in providing you start to finish services. Klay Oven also caters to several hotels, resorts, golf clubs, etc. with which they have exclusive contracts.
- Private Party Facilities: Klay Oven will provide you with a 25-30 person semi private room closed off with velvet drapes, or the entire restaurant at certain times.
- Private Party Contact: Ravi Sahini 3125273999
A word from Klay Oven Indian Restaurant
This elegant, yet informal environment was recently remodeled to create a warm and inviting dining place which offers the ideal getaway for business lunch or relaxed dining experience. The cuisine introduced by Klay Oven gives Chicago a new world of finest Indian cooking. Klay Oven emphasizes quality, freshly cooked food prepared to order, using healthy, low fat methods of virtually greaseless cooking in the centuries of old Clay Oven (Tandoor) and the Indian Wok (karhai). Freshest ingredients are used to create harmony of subtle flavors, tastes and colors. There is something so very satisfying about Indian cookery, more so when it is freshly cooked. Try to dine here with a group of friends or family to share a wider selection of the delicious appetizers, rice dishes, breads and fabulous entrees and desserts. Enjoy the ambience, the food and the service of this establishment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Klay Oven Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Excellent!MKW2013Dined on 2/19/2012Excellent food and service. Waiter ASKED if he could clear the table before he actually did it! That was nice.Special Features:
- Klay Oven has superb serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/12/2012Klay Oven has superb service and excellent food. We always come here for excellent Tandoori.Special Features:
- Nice non greasy Indian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/3/2012Nice non greasy Indian food. Very tasty. Service was great.
- We lived in London for fiveChalet133VIPDined on 1/28/2012We lived in London for five years and have struggled to find an Indian restaurant as good as our favorite local places in London. This restaurant was suggested to us by a woman who is Indian and recommended the restaurant as a good all-around Indian meal. We made reservations for 7pm on a Saturday, and when we arrived it was very quiet. Due to it's proximity to the loop, we are guessing it is popular during the week and during the day. We ordered a wide variety of items and shared them all at the table. I had missed quality naan bread, onion bahji, chicken pakora, chicken tikka, etc. We were not disappointed. We would definitely consider returning to the restaurant.Special Features:
- I've been coming here forgregg1954Dined on 1/7/2012I've been coming here for at least 15 years. The food has gone from excellent to outstanding. The poori is fantastic. The variety and uniqueness makes this a pleasure each time I visit. I have not been disappointed. The service is the best I've had at any restaurant in Chicago.Special Features:
- Delicious food, even in comparisonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/13/2011Delicious food, even in comparison to our "regular" Indian spot that we love. Service was neat and attentive without feeling like they were hovering. Our reservations were for 8:30pm on a weeknight so naturally the place was mostly empty, but that was fine with us. Prices were on par with what we're used to. We'll return, I'm sure!
- Better before. Getting worse.DecentVIPDined on 12/3/2011We have been here several times before and each time it gets worse. The food is very good, but the service and drinks are not. They were definitely understaffed, which is something we had to confirm with the manager after waiting 15 minutes for anyone to get our drink orders. After we ordered with the hostess, we had to ask the manager 10 minutes later where our drinks were - we ordered two beers in bottles. Five minutes later my entree arrived, not my girlfriend's, and before our appetizers and salads. I sent it back. The manager came over after we waved our hands and he said he would take care of us. The food came and it was good, and half our meal was comp'd, but the restaurant seems to be heading in the wrong direction.
- Will NEVER return!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/1/2011Had reservations for 7 p.m. with co-workers. We were served our dinner 1 hour and 40 minutes after we placed our order. All we were told is that it was a communication issue... how hard is it to communicate with the kitchen after an order has been placed for food? From the looks of it our waiter forgot to place our order with the kitchen and forgot about us as we weren't acknowledged by him after he'd taken our order. He walked passed us for over an hour and didn't acknowledge us or the fact that we hadn't been served our meal after waiting almost two hours. The manager was apologetic and comped our bill 20%, however I will never go back. Good food AWFUL service.
- 2nd time having Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/20112nd time having Indian food and the server was very kind and patient with us as he reviewed the whole menu. Would definitely return. Great flavors, booth in the back was great too.
- Fabulous food and service!bobttttDined on 11/7/2011Fabulous food and service! I will return next time I am in ChicagoSpecial Features:
- Nothing memorable in termsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2011Nothing memorable in terms of interior, but the food is good standard indian fare
- Well worth the visit. We wentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2011Well worth the visit. We went rather early (6:30PM) on a Sunday evening so the restaurant was quiet but could imagine it would have a good ambiance when bustling. Staff were attentive and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Just like the others...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2011As an Indian-American, I'm always a little apprehensive about Indian restaurants for their tendencies to "Westernize" the food and jack up the prices. Unfortunately, I have to categorize Klay Oven with the others. My spouse and I had few dishes including the palak paneer, which not only was bland to the taste but had about 4 small paneer cubes total. The mix grill was overloaded with plain chicken breast pieces, one shrimp, and only two small pieces of the best cuts of lamb. The vegetable biryani and mango kulfi were the saving graces in my opinion, although my spouse was less critical of the meal overall. Service was slow for a weekday evening. Might try the Oak Park location in the future.Special Features:
- When we arrived, we were notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2011When we arrived, we were not greeted by anyone. We were simply expected to follow someone to our seats. Once we were seated we ordered and our food arrived promptly. However our waiter did not come to check up with us once all the food was served. We were done with our meal but waited at least 30 mins until someone noticed and brought us the check. Since it was pretty dark in the restaurant we were able to make out our waiter from our table and was unable to flag him down. Other than that the food was delicious. I would recommend this restaurant if you are not on a time limit or rush to catch a movie.Special Features:
- Not being that familiar withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2011Not being that familiar with Indian food, ordered the sampler app platter. Just a little too much on the fried side for us. On the other hand, my wife had the Tandoor Grill sampler which was very good and I had the Mahi Mahi Green Masala which was excellent. I would go back. The staff was very attentive and provided decent recommendations.Special Features:
- Amazing paneer and tenderOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/5/2011Amazing paneer and tender tandoori. Also fans of their naan and basmati rice.Special Features:
- GREAT Indian food! The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2011GREAT Indian food! The best naan I have ever had. Amazing tandoori dishes and the paleek paneer is delicious. Usual quiet so you can talk. Fun decor makes you feel like you're in a big fancy tent. The owner is almost always there and really pays attention to service. Must try!Special Features:
- Incredibly wonderful experiencelawladyVIPDined on 7/30/2011We had a wonderful experience at Klay oven--attentive service, interesting and well-prepared food and thankfully quiet so that we could talk without raising our voices to be heard. This was one of the most enjoyable dinner experiences in some time.Special Features:
- Klay Oven is always a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/16/2011Klay Oven is always a good choice. I don't know why it is not more crowded. The food is excellent and perfect when I need my fix. I also had the vindaloo martini on Saturday and I loved it - I am normally a beer or wine girl. The food was excellent and I will be going back next time I'm craving Indian food.Special Features:
- I read many reviews and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2011I read many reviews and the supposed awards this restaurant won and must disagree. This was one of the worst Indian "fine dining" experiences I've had. I started with lamb kabobs which were over powered by onion. It felt like there was more onion in the kabob than there was lamb! The mains were ordinary which is alright if you're eating at your local Indian take out joint paying less than $10 per main....but the mains were $14-18 here and not worth it. I've had better curries in the $6-8 range elsewhere. At these prices you're better off eating at Verasway or Marigold.
- Excellent food, and a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2011Excellent food, and a very good choice for taking a soft-spoken guest.
- Delicious Indian food at slightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2011Delicious Indian food at slightly over-priced prices, as I've had many Indian dishes of equal quality with a less expensive price-tag.. However, the nice atmosphere and quick service made up for it. Nice, dim lighting, well-decorated, fairly quiet.Special Features:
- They has the best Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2011They has the best Indian food in the city, but some of the WORST service I've ever encountered. I will not go back.
- We originally had a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/1/2011We originally had a reservation for two, had two people join us late and needed to change our reservation from two to four at the last minute, restaurant was very accommodating. The waiter was very helpful in food and drink suggestions and the service staff was courteous and prompt. Everyone at the table enjoyed the food and the quiet atmosphere. We will go back.Special Features:
- It was our first time eatingLV11Dined on 4/1/2011It was our first time eating Indian food and the staff was wonderful at listening to what we like and dislike and suggesting foods for us. We loved it!Special Features:
- Food phenomenal. Service aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2011Food phenomenal. Service a bit slow for the amount of customers present. Wines inexpensive. Love Lamb chop and Chicken Masala dishes. Nan and Basmati rice great sides. Palak paneer awesome!Special Features:
- First of all, when we firstOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/26/2011First of all, when we first got there, it took us around 10 minutes to be greeted by a host. We had to explain to two people that we had a reservation. When we were finally seated, a waiter did not come to us for over 15 minutes. We also ended up having about 3 waiters. When we received our food, it was very overcooked. We had a few items, of which had several different types of meat and all of it was dry. When the people came to fill up our water, they would splash it all over our food and us. No one came to ask us if our food was good. The food and service was far from worth the amount it cost.
- Slllooowww!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2011Reservation @ 7:30 pm. Sat down at 8:00 pm. Didn't get waited on till 9:15 pm!?! Owner is killing himself. Not enough help means the tables don't turn, patrons upset, and walk-ins turned away. Food is good. Just like to have it in front of me sometime within my lifetime.
- Classy Indian dining experienceDonnaODined on 3/26/2011Service was attentative without being overbearing. Accomodated our desire to be out by a specific time to make a theatre curtain. Food was superb & plentiful. Loved the complimentary snack papadam (which was replenished upon request). Will definitely be returning & plan on checking out the Oak Park location as well.Special Features:
- Great weekend ThalisOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/26/2011I have enjoyed Klay Oven's Lunch Buffet tremendously in the past (which is a weekday offering) but just found out about their weekend Thali special. I love Indian Food and a Thali is a great way to have several samples on a "personal buffet". It is a great way to introduce someone to Indian Food as well. Great value, too.Special Features:
- I went to Klay Oven with myOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/25/2011I went to Klay Oven with my parents who were visiting from out of town. They had only had Indian food once before so I thought this would be a good experience. All of the food was excellent and the server helped explain some of the dishes to them. He even suggested that they split an entree since there would be enough food for both of them. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and thelkchangirlVIPDined on 3/23/2011Food was excellent and the wait staff very attentive. They clean the table kinda of quickly though.
- The atmosphere was good, atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2011The atmosphere was good, at times the service was a bit slow. The quality and flavor of the food were goodSpecial Features:
- It's been a while since I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/18/2011It's been a while since I've been to Klay Oven. The food was decent, but it wasn't as good as I had remembered. The samosas were excellent, however, the lamb chops we ordered were super tough. Way overcooked, in my opinion, but the sauce had a nice flavor to it. Unfortunately, we ordered it for the lamb and not the sauce.
- A little expensive but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/18/2011Food was excellent but a bit pricey - we did not leave full and we had nothing to take home after ordering an appetizer and two entrees. Wine list was great and service was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Upscale Indian Cuisine....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/4/2011High end Indian food at a reasonable price. The staff is always courteous and pleasant and the noise level is always minimal. Cozy and well appointed, it's a great place for upscale Indian cuisineSpecial Features:
- We found this place to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/2/2011We found this place to be a bit awkward for dinner, and probably won't go back. Lunch may be better.
- We've been to Klay Oven beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2011We've been to Klay Oven before and it was never this bad. We were the only customers in the restaurant when we arrived and yet the service was slow. I asked to not add any cilantro to our food, and all our dishes arrived covered in chopped cilantro. But my biggest gripe was that our dinner did not taste very good. We are raving fans of Indian food but this experience was very lack luster. I don't think we'll go back.
- Solid choice for Indian food.VievaDined on 2/20/2011Solid choice for Indian food. Devon is, of course, better but generally, I was satisfied with everything. I thought the service was quite attentive.
- Disappointed in the serverFoodieKenVIPDined on 2/17/2011Disappointed in the server and his knowledge of the menu. He made a poor recommendation when my wife wanted a "light" dish with vegetables- he suggested a creamy dish with cheese.