11920 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.katsu-yagroup.com/
- Phone: (818) 763-3910
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Katsuya Uechi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kiwami
Sushi, sashimi, tempura and other traditional Japanese favorites are joined by new signature dishes such as halibut wrapped with uni, calamari with pasta, Kobe beef in bamboo leaf, and Kobe-style filet with foie gras.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Kiwami - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
Kiwami reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (16)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (14)special occasion (10)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (5)romantic (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- iluvfoodDined on 11/14/2014This place has amazing sushi but the scene was so chaotic. We booked a reservation for lunch at 1:30 but didn't get seated until 2 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing & lacklusterboyonfilmVIPDined on 10/27/2014Quality has really gone downhill. The fish simply isn't as fresh or tasty. The tuna on crispy rice is mushy and bland. The miso with overcooked diced vegetables was just odd. Won't be making the trek to the valley again anytime soon. Sad.
- LovelysuberbdiningDined on 10/25/2014I spent my last night in LA eating at Kiwami - because it's my favorite restaurant in the LA area! I'm heading back to NYC to live but only hope I can find a sushi restaurant that can compare to Kiwami - but I know it'll be difficult!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming hit or missAlexVIPDined on 10/24/2014Kiwami is changing. It's not anymore a place where you will truly enjoy everything and every time . Time after time it's started to disappoint. Afraid that it's going down but hope that MR K will not let that to happenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the lunch specialJenniferDined on 10/10/2014I love the lunch specials. The lunch tray and bento box are both excellent. The service is attentive, friendly and accommodating. I've never been for dinner but it's a favorite for work day lunches. I always make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatBurbankMMMDined on 10/3/2014This is great every time! The only thing I would suggest is a few more variations in the specials just to mix it up a little. Otherwise, food, service ambiance - all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsJanzaDined on 9/17/2014My favorite place for a lunch meeting or dinner with family and friends ...Special Features:
- A party in your mouth!DiSavDined on 9/10/2014Food is amazing. Fish is very fresh. All dishes are prepared with true amazingness. The Kiwami tray is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner - meh!pasadenafoodieDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I came to Kiwami for our anniversary dinner on Saturday night. We've dined here before and our memory was that the ambiance was of a much nicer place. However, when we walked into the restaurant it was very bright, loud, kids all around and people in t-shirts and flip flops. I felt like we walked into a beach cafe. Very disappointing because we were expecting more of a fine dining experience and we were dressed as such. They dimmed the lights a bit right at 7pm, which helped, but the loud kid running around behind us didn't. The food was spectacular, the service was pretty good, but for the price I would hope for more of a 360 degree experience.Special Features:
- Top-NotchTom88catDined on 8/27/2014Really good. Pricey, but worth it. The menu has many options and I would recommend the lunch specials for the best value. Lots of delicious food!Special Features:
- Linda EOfficialtaster1Dined on 8/22/2014Fabulous! Sushi brought to the highest levell of freshness,seasoning , elegance and pure delight. Worth any travel you have to do to dine at this special restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday lunch treat808eatzVIPDined on 8/15/2014The place was packed at 1:30pm on Friday. Service was wonderful, sushi amazing as expected. The bill for 2 with tip came up to $65, and we didn't have drinks other than water! But we left satisfied and happy. Great treat to start off a romantic weekend!Special Features:
- Best sushi in townluvmysushiDined on 8/6/2014The sushi is sooooo delicious!!! We had popcorn shrimp, albacore sushi, anago sushi, baked crab hand rolls, albacore with crispy onion, spicy tuna on crispy rice and the new mini version and more.... everything was absolutely perfect. The only slight fault with this restaurant is that the light is very bright! The rest is the best!Special Features:
- Kiwami doesn't cut itJuf94nyrVIPDined on 8/2/2014I have been to Kiwami a number of times over the past few months and have noticed a steady decline. This last visit was the final straw for me. The fish was on the warm side. The special summer roll was far special. It was very bland. We also overheard the couple next to us say the same. With so many other quality sushi places in the area, Kiwami just doesn't cut it.
- The following 416 reviews are from the Kiwami reviews archive.
- Best sushi bar on sushi rowBandiVIPDined on 7/9/2014Great ingredients, wonderful chef(ette). Beautiful cuts, rice is the correct temperature. Everything properly seasoned. Pricey,but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014Slow service. Took 45 minutes for simple sushi order to come out. Had to order drinks multiple times as they forgot to being them. Didn't get order correct. Told they were out of special but then when we complained about service fish was mysteriously now avail? Won't ever return. Was a regular but no more. Also not welcoming to children.
- JackVIPDined on 7/1/2014Enjoyable meal with exception service. Thank you!
- GREAT SUSHIAwesomeVIPDined on 6/28/2014I have always enjoyed the quality of sushi at Kiwami. The specials are also aways consistant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Big & ExpensiveDbrookmaVIPDined on 6/6/2014This place is too big, and the kitchen & sushi bar cant keep up with the indoor space and outdoor patio. Food takes too long to come out compared to other sister locations, like Katsuya encino. Also the prices for the same stuff are higher than other locations. Not to forget to mention the outdoor patio is in the parking lot, and you get to watch headlights in your face all night.Special Features:
- KiwamiDonaDined on 5/31/2014Kiwami was for sure one of the best sushi restaurants we have been to. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Best sushi you can findGuccaVIPDined on 5/22/2014Service is great, food is incredible testy and fresh. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLE -- HORRIBLE -- HORRIBLE!!!VEEEEVIPDined on 5/8/2014I have always Enjoyed Katsuya (Studio City), and Kiwami. Apparently they have made some changes and my experience there on my last was pathetic! The manager was UNPROFESSIONAL, CONFUSED, and spoken horrible English. I can truly say i will not be dining at this establishment anytime in the near future.
- Quality sushiGuccaVIPDined on 5/3/2014Food really good best sushi, great service small but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed dinner again.mikesfinedineVIPDined on 5/3/2014Prices were little hight, but preparation of the food and sushi were good. Soft shell crab did not taste well, I think needed to be fried longer, but sushi rolls were good. We are planing to coming back.Special Features:
- KiwamiKatandRichVIPDined on 4/28/2014Since it first opened, Kiwami (Chef Katsu)was amazing, we came in the first few weeks and got to sit with the Chef, he is an amazing man and the sushi (Omakase) what a wonderful experience, best quote "Soy Sauce is Japanese ketchup!" My recent visit was quote different, the crowd was mixed, there were some quickly printed menu add-ons, and it just didn't seem to have the same sheen. Out table was next to a dusty broom and jammed next to a make shift waiter station. there seems to be ,more focus on the rowdy crow on the patio. I think the mission has changed, rather than super high end sushi, special occasion, they are now just going for the middle ground, I barely recognized the menu and it really isn't the same.Special Features:
- Superb!suberbdiningDined on 4/27/2014Kiwami is such a wonderful place. The food and the staff are both always superb! I always have a wonderful experience at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Katsu-ya Menu, Nicer SurroundingsScottVIPDined on 4/25/2014Solid menu, great dishes. This place is just like the original Katsu-ya down the street, but with a more upscale feel, and they don't rush you out the door like they do at Katsu-ya. You can sit, relax, talk and eat. The prices are a little steep for some things, but hey, it's Japanese food, and it's going to be expensive. The Valet parking is convenient and not too expensive, or you can park around the corner if you want. This place gets crowded, and a bit loud. And there are a lot of families and a lot of kids, so if you don't like that, don't go there. Overall, very good.Special Features:
- Where have I been?KennyDined on 4/23/2014I can't believe I live less than a mile from Kawami and I have not been there since it opened.....and I do love sushi. Bottom line: Almost everything was terrific....and prices were VERY fair. Beer and wine only was strange, but the ice cold $5 draft Kirin made it worth it. Best Crunch roll EVER!!!!! Finished off our dinner with the duck breast----6-small slices of the most tender, tasty duck you have ever eaten. Didn't like the Tuna and Avocado....a bit too slimy. All in all, we will be back next week.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodhydraulic42Dined on 4/22/2014Very Katsu-ya-esque in terms of the food (talking about the Studio City Katsu-ya here, much better than the other branches). Not packed and noisy like the Studio City Katsu-ya. A little noisy inside but they have a nice covered patio outside that is quiet. Drinks are very good -- creative use of soju and sake. Definitely a highlight among the crowded Ventura Blvd sushi scene.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2014I read that Katsuya will prepare the omakase and have to pre-order so I had some expectations when I went to this restaurant. the server does not really know about the omakase and kept saying it's what I want it to be. Whem I made the reservation, they told me very clearly that the omakase will be in 3 courses and it's specials from chef Katsuya himself. the sushi pieces and sashimi pieces were average that I could have just ordered a la carte and pick my own favorites. we ordered a lot of individual dishes and server never explained what the specials were until we saw it on the table next to us that it was a great deal but too late for us. The cooked food was definitely on the salty side and the fish quality is just average.
- No privacyShelbymasVIPDined on 4/17/2014Don't pick this place if you don't want your neighbors to hear everything you're saying.
- Service was not greatCuatrokidsDined on 4/17/2014Service was OFF last night! It felt as if there were not enough servers. The one server we had was inattentive when we needed her, and attentive when we didn't. We asked for wasabi 3 times before they remembered to give it to us. The food is always good here (that's why we go) and the service is usually good, but boy was it terrible last night. Hopefully that was just an aberration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delectable!rhonachkaVIPDined on 4/14/2014Once again, a delicious, beautifully presented lunch at Kiwami. Ttruly a neighborhood gem! I`ve never been a great fan of sushi but oh, my!Special Features:
- Finest sushialhatVIPDined on 4/13/2014Went twice on my last visit to LA with son and our wives. The fish were fantastic and this has now become my favorite sushi experience in LA. Only places better were Sushi Nozawa (Sugarfish is very good, but pales in comparison) and The Hump before they served endangered species. I feel that Kiwami is superior to Katsu-ya (though same owner and slightly cheaper) and the more expensive Asenabo, Nobu, and Matsuhisa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Katsuya GemAlexVIPDined on 4/9/2014So, Kiwami is not as fun and energetic as Katsuya but the quality of the fish is really amazing and the menu has most of the same specialties as all of chef Katsuya's restaurants. I would suggest going at happy hour, sitting out on the patio is nice. The only downfall is the atmosphere of the restaurant, very bland and way way too bright, it's like dining in a cafeteria. Not a good date spot....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChairsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/2/2014The food and service were wonderful as usual. We actually sat for along time and the chairs were pretty uncomfortable. We love the restaurant but this is the only negative.
- betterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/2/2014Best experience here so far - the staff is friendlier. Food is always good - would prefer less emphasis on crab on the menu, but you can substitute - unfortunately they charge for the change, which is like being penalized for your crab allergySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kiwami is GreatMarlyDined on 3/29/2014I love Kiwami and it has become our go to place in Studio City for sushi. I think it's better (and less crowded) than Katsu-ya in Studio City. Also Katsuya at Americana, LA Live, and Hollywood do not stand up to Kiwami. It's not cheap, but it's far better for the money than if you go to the Katsuya locations outside Studio City. I love the rakamuri - but they have limited supplies. This is a good go to item that covers a lot of flavors. Here are some other go-to favorites: Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice] Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeno Salmon Sashimi with Caviar Miso Cod Corn Tempura BSC Honey Roll UnagiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi and much moreDavisFoodLoverVIPDined on 3/28/2014This is a perfect place to take a person who thinks he or she does not like sushi. There are other things they can order, but if they are willing to give the sushi a try they may become a convert. The service was fast and friendly. I appreciated the reasonable priced valet parking. Go early, as others have said, they do run out of the happy tray for two, which is a great deal. Give this place a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality sushiGuccaVIPDined on 3/22/2014From the house of katuzya similar menu many of the items Rae the se Quit, great service.Special Features: