Kitchenette - Uptown
1272 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kitchenette - Uptown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kitchenetterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2125317600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00 PM to 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Ann Nickinson and Lisa Hall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do full service catering with custom designed menus to meet all your food service fancies. Check us out on our website kitchenetterestaurant.com to see the variety of special menus we can create.
A word from Kitchenette - Uptown
Home style cooking at its best is our mantra. You are met at the door with our abundantly filled pastry cases. The shelves are filled with our homemade layer cakes, flaky pies, iced cupcakes, fruit crisps and so much more to tempt you on your way to a table. Kitchenette can satisfy all your cravings whether it be an oasis from the cold with our own hot chocolate topped with a homemade marshmallow, or a steamy bowl of chicken soup or a hearty meal of turkey meatloaf and mashed potatoes. We are a home away from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Kitchenette - Uptown - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Kitchenette - Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (29)neighborhood gem (15)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (14)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (4)romantic (1)hot spot (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great homestyle comfort foodMikeGDined on 8/20/2014The fried chicken was excellent! Reminded me of growing up in the South. The Mac & Cheese is incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food....but...HeleneVIPDined on 8/2/2014Don't expect to have a "calm" experience. Place is very noisy and hectic. Great food, so I would recommend it anyway!Special Features:
- Food great, service terribleMH55VIPDined on 7/27/2014Kitchenette does a lot of double-booking for reservations so even with a reservation you may wait for a table. Once we got a table it took 5 minutes to get a menu and almost 10 minutes to get someone to take our order. Then almost 35 minutes for simple pancake platter and a yogurt parfait.Special Features:
- Fabulous!TeacherGranDined on 7/27/2014Rebecca, one of the managers...was so professional and very accommodating to our group. Dustin, our waiter...was high energy, witty and so good at his job. Dustin, was attentive to all our needs, over and over. We all loved our food choices. Bloody Mary, was wonderful. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!SimplefoodieVIPDined on 7/20/2014Can't wait to go back!! The service, food and portions were excellent! The prices were great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014After being told many times to check out Kitchenette, I finally made it. The demand is high for this small venue, so seating was a little cramped. The food and the service managed to make the smallness of the space feel cozy. I ordered the Lumber Jack, which came with eggs, turkey sausage, and two thick almond orange pancakes. Very tasty!Special Features:
- QuaintLeanpigDined on 7/4/2014I would have liked to have gone for dinner but it just didn't work out. The mac n' cheese was divine. Overall enjoyable meal with awesome dessert at the end. Our server was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, Kitschy, and Fun!VanessaLeighDined on 6/19/2014I took a friend who was visiting from Chicago to Kitchenette for breakfast. (At 2 PM. ;) I'd walked by the downtown location and thought it was cute, and the uptown did not disappoint. We were delighted with the decor and the pastry case. Love the mismatched, vintage kitchen vibe--it makes you feel comfortable. And so does the food--I adored my peach pancakes and cheese grits, and we were both amazed by the amount of bacon that arrived when we ordered a side. Sam's chicken and waffles looked delicious as well, and the drink specials were also very tasty. The food (which DID take a while to arrive, but I didn't much mind) really does taste just like home cookin'. Comfort food at its best, and our server Bob was attentive and so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refused my reservationharlemdogzDined on 6/15/2014Despite making a reservation on Opentable, the restaurant did not have a record of it when I arrived. I then showed them my email confirmation, at which point the rude hostess said 'well that doesnt matter because you're going to have to wait 45 minutes' What was the point of making a reservation?
- Good not GreathappytoeatDined on 6/15/2014It was good. The food was satisfactory, and the service great. As for why I would not personally want to return: disappointingly, Kitchenette did not offer poached eggs. Still, I would recommend it to others depending on their taste. Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch is difficult to get right, and Kitchenette did well enough. My personal taste would have preferred soft-poached eggs, crispier and more spiced home fries, and the offer of toast (rye, white, whole wheat, etc.) as a substitute for the flaky english muffins that I'm sure are actually a highlight for other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good way to spend an eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Very comfortable. Some wonderful food dishes. Flexible and adoptable to changing group size.Special Features:
- ChristineVIPDined on 5/12/2014A little disappointed with the brunch hype. Feels more like a diner and place for comfort food. Food was painstakingly slow, and took twice as long for our vegetarian friend because it was made incorrectly first, so our friend had to pack his food up by the time it came out. Kudos to the waiter though, he caught the error as soon as he set our plates down.Special Features:
- Cute!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014This is a very cute spot in Harlem! I love it! The food is great, the service is excellent and it's got a very cute ambiance. Very reasonably priced as well. Perfect for a casual brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience on a busy occasionDolceBlueDined on 5/11/2014Was a great experience and good food on a brunch menu with many choices. We went on Mother's Day, a day notoriously busy, and they handled the service pretty well! I recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Kitchenette - Uptown reviews archive.
- Comfort Food Done RightdinetteDined on 4/25/2014The dinner menu here contains many old standbys but with some imaginative twists. All the ones I sampled were prepared with care and expertise, for example, the Turkey Chili--not too spicy, not too bland, with two kinds of beans, and the ginger carrots--not too sweet, with just the right amount of ginger. The atmosphere is homey and the service is friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- YUMMY!!MonaGirlDined on 4/20/2014We enjoyed Easter Sunday Brunch at Kitchenette in Harlem! My first time to the restaurant and it was GREAT! All of the choices that we selected were Scrumptious!! From the Host, to our AWESOME Server to our Busboy!! Excellent!! BRAVO! I can't wait to try Kitchenette in Tribeca, a tad closer to my home.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!TiffanyDined on 4/13/2014I went to Kitchenette while visiting NYC for a conference. I used to live there & it was one of my favorite places for brunch. I took my friend who had never been there before. So excited they take reservations now! The food was amazing as always! I had the herb & goat cheese omelette and bacon! The omelette was fluffy & cheesey. My friend ordered pancakes, which looked great! He loved it & we were full for the rest of the day. Our server, Anthony was one of the best waitpersons I have ever had wait on me. He was attentive without being overbearing & had a great personality. This was all while had been sat with too large party tables, which at Kitchenette is hard to do as the place is small. Every time I am in NYC, I will be going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great service!!HappyDinerDined on 4/6/2014Kitchenette was the most delicious brunch I've had in a long time. Classic, yet with unique items too. Our waiter was excellent, and they accommodated our reservation right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place, but way too loudCarolineDined on 4/4/2014I love Kitchenette! The food is always fantastic and the service is great. However, I always debate whether to go here because the room is just way too boomy and loud. The restaurant should put in some insulation panels to soak up the sound and the experience would improve drastically. My friend and I had to basically shout to hear each other over lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Creative BreakfastsFoodieDined on 3/30/2014Interesting extensive menu. "Cottage Eggs" a the best eggs I've ever had!! Wait can be long, somewhat congestive seating but worth it. Very friendly efficient service. Wonderful to have in the Columbia University neighborhood. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I feel like Kitchenette isBinkDined on 3/22/2014I feel like Kitchenette is starting to slide a little and is no longer really a special place for breakfast/brunch. I took friends from out of town and they were polite, but next time I would go somewhere else. it is good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchLuckmeisterDined on 3/13/2014Comfort southern food, but with a modern twist, so it's not so stick to the ribs as you think... delicious and you do all right when you throw in one of their delish cocktails!Special Features:
- Pancakes cold; noise earsplittingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2014This restaurant was a huge disappointment. It was so crowded at Sunday brunch that we assumed that the throngs attested to a marvelous dining experience. Instead, they foreshadowed a staff that was completely overwhelmed and unable to deliver the rudiments of a simple meal. Both pancakes and coffee were served cold, and when reheated at our request, they were returned a few degrees warmer; this time the pancakes were merely cool and had acquired a hard crust to boot. The noise was deafening, making it clear that the meal of warm comfort food and conversation with friends we sought was unattainable at Kitchette, at least not on the Sunday we visited it.
- Yum!RG314Dined on 3/1/2014The food was fantastic, and definitely worth the trek to West Harlem. I love a good brunch, and was impressed by the quality of the meal. The mimosa wasn't a bad addition either. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Meet for BreakfastsportymomDined on 3/1/2014We had a wonderful breakfast at this neighborhood restaurant. We were meeting before going to Columbia for a visit and had a delicious breakfast in a very cute restaurant with reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Kitchenette - I orderedHappyKitchenlessDined on 2/8/2014I love Kitchenette - I ordered the Kitchenless and I enjoy that meal every time and it's worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch in lovely neighborhoodJCF345Dined on 1/19/2014Went here for brunch with wife and mother-in-law on a short trip to New York this winter. Warm welcome, short wait, great food, and lovely decor made it a hit! Would heartily recommend to any other visitors looking for a wonderful neighborhood brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy In and OutHappyCommuteeDined on 1/15/2014This is a great place to meet with good creative brunch and lunch options, an easy comfortable environment and fun serving staff. The location is perfect for me too because street parking and ease to and from West Side a Highway is simple. Makes meeting someone from Manhattan convenient. The great food is a huge plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- realtime wrongtimerealtimewrongtimeVIPDined on 1/12/2014restaurant apparently prints out opentable reservation lists well in advance of the seating time. If you make a reservation on the day of, they don't arrange for a table for you. When we complained that we had been waiting 45 minutes for our table, the manager blamed us for "making a late reservation." Seems to me you mustn't offer a reservation that you're not equipped to honor.
- Great Food, But Was It Worth It?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/1/2014The food and drink were great, but the service was lousy and the wait to get in was too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Wonderful Experience.beedeeDined on 12/25/2013The Kitchenette is hard to spot at night from a moving cab, but it stands out as a unique and special place, the perfect place for Christmas dinner. Friendly staff accommodated our early arrival, quickly seating us and offering homemade sangria, cold beer, and creamy hot chocolate. Smoky, gooey mac and cheese entree served as a shared appetizer, & quickly named the best mac-n-cheese ever enjoyed by this family from the south, where-n-cheese is king. Entree choices: varied and enticing, from Christmas special pork loin with cranberry stuffing to buttermilk battered fried chicken and waffles to turkey meatloaf. Every dish was sublime, with careful attention paid to every detail. Recommend it to all who enjoy great food in a joyful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday MealVWCjrDined on 12/25/2013I took my 94 year old mother and two teen age children out for a holiday meal and they all enjoyed the food and the quaint decor of the Kitchenette. The food was good quality basic fare. I was glad that we chose this location which is local and easily accessible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Local Spot...PastorBruceDined on 12/25/2013The Kitchenette Uptown is one of those little neighborhood gems you discover and think, "I should really have tried this sooner!" The food is wonderful, the staff friendly and outgoing, and easy to get to. The only downside is how cramped the tables are for 4 (not to mention having a larger group). "Cozy" would be a fit descriptor! But put that aside and have some of the most amazing food available on the Upper West Side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE MAC AND CHEESE WAS OUTSTANDINGsenoritaVIPDined on 12/14/2013THE MAC AND CHEESE WAS OUTSTANDING AS WAS THE FRIED CHICKEN - THE BISCUIT ON THE OTHER HAND BORE NO RESEMBLANCE TO ANY BISCUIT I HAVE EV ER EATEN - MORE LIKE A SLICE OF BRIOCHY BREAD AND AT 4.00 WAS UPTOWN ROBBERY!Special Features:
- Great food, great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2013This place is awesome. Get the "Kitchenette Specialty." it's the best meatloaf ever (outside of mom's). Also the Mac n Cheese is epic. The waitstaff are very accommodating and friendly. It's not a 'romantic' getaway, but it is great for couples looking for a quiet place to eat comfort food and enjoy each others company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/28/2013Went there for Thanksgiving and the place was packed (though it almost seemed more crowded with workers than patrons)! Service was mediocre. Though I know they were busy because it was a holiday, they could definitely work on being more friendly. Charged us for drinks that we did not order, and then took forever to fix the bill. Though the food was pretty good, it was overpriced, and I would probably not go there again.
- Wonderful Thanksgiving!deeeeeelishVIPDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving dinner at Kitchenette provided a wonderful alternative to traveling/cooking/cleaning. In terms of food, they served everything I'm used to eating on Thanksgiving (and then some) with generous portions, and while nothing blew my mind it was all solid, very tasty and satisfying meal. Homey ambience and convenient location great as usual. Service was good, except that I asked for a doggie bag (an additional serving at affordable extra cost) but the waitress must not have heard me because we didn't get it. Not a big deal, just a missed opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect Thanksgiving feast!bratt21Dined on 11/28/2013The food was great and the service was good! Exactly what we wanted for Thanksgiving dinner, although the pie was not as good as we expected...we would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent findNikkiDined on 11/9/2013Beautiful place to celebrate a birthday or just to hang out. Certainly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!FoodloversDined on 11/4/2013We had the nicest time at Kitchenette and I can't wait to go back. The salmon was amazing, the mac n cheese was really killer (I'm still thinking about it) and it was too hard to pick just one dessert because they all looked amazing so I brought one home. The staff was so inviting and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.