428 First Street
Woodland, CA 95695Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mojoskitchen428.com/
- Phone: 5306610428x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7-Days-a-Week - Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Everyday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining space is located on the Third Floor and is available for large parties, private meetings & celebrations. We can accommodate a wide range of budgets and can seat 50 people for dinner or up to 60 people for cocktail parties. Please call 530-661-0428 to schedule your next banquet.
- Private Party Contact: Christy Hayes 5306610428x
- Special Events: Mojo's Hot Summer Nights Cruise-in Car Show: Every Third Thursday May-October: Cars Cruise in anytime after 5pm (FREE) Music & Car Show starts at 6pm. Free All Ages Event
A word from Kitchen428 Restaurant
Kitchen428 Restaurant & Mojo's Lounge are Woodland's premier dining and gathering spots for lunch, dinner, special events, banquets & cocktails. Located on the First Floor of the Jackson Building (Former home of Morrison's Upstairs) Kitchen428 Restaurant specializes in fresh, local and seasonal ingredients in both the creative dishes from the kitchen and in our hand crafted cocktails just next door in Mojo's Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Kitchen428 Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Woodland ›
Kitchen428 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (20)special occasion (19)great for lunch (15)good for groups (14)great for brunch (6)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent time at Kitchen 428DiscouragedDined on 8/27/2014Really enjoy going to Kitchen 428. Great service and food in a pleasant atmosphere. We love the bar, Mojo's, too. All-in-all this is a great place to spend the evening. Food is vastly improved over an earlier trip to Kitchen 428 about a year go. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014A very pleasant surprise for a family dinner. Everyone felt it would be a "repeater"... excellent service...only feedback is that the meat was cooked more than expected. Steak ordered as medium rare and served medium. Hamburger ordered medium and served well. In all other ways, the meal was delicious. The ribs were especially noteworthy falling off the bone and bbq sauce excellent. Great kid's serving...they really know how to cut an apple for a 2 year old...he gobbled it up! Reasonable corkage fee which I appreciate.Special Features:
- a few issuesfirstimpression257Dined on 8/1/2014So we were sat and offered water. We waited 10 minute before we got asked if we wanted any drink. This whole time we have no bread or anything to snack on, she didn't even asked what we wanted for starters. So another 15 minutes go by. We finally order .she then brings out our bread to snack on. My mother asked for lemons(they brought 2) my mother finished her water & had to flag down our waitress to get more water and lemons. By then a 50 minutes goes by and we are on our second round of bread and chatting. After an hour I get my starter and then immediately following we get out entire meal. My steak was cooked perfectly. my mom's food.. Terrible, warm salad, barely any sirloin meat especialy for the price. Was not impressed. No tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodVeggieDined on 7/23/2014Service was a little slow, maybe not enough servers. Food was pretty good. Not much attention from server, had to take bill up myself after waiting 10 minutesSpecial Features:
- Fun Place with lots of historyBillEBoy4foodDined on 7/9/2014We enjoyed both the Kitchen428 and Mojo's Lounge next door! We will be traveling from Palm Springs to Bend, Oregon just about once a month. We always stop in Woodland as the halfway overnight. We will be going to Kitchen428 for dinner every time we visit Woodland. Food and ambiance are wonderful.Special Features:
- HappydinerDined on 6/27/2014Mojo's is our favorite restaurant in Yolo County. The food, ambience and service are always excellent. Even though it is busy we never feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite dining experience2fromRdgDined on 6/18/2014We live in Redding, CA, and happened to be in Woodland about 18 months ago. Kitchen 428 was recommended to us for dinner by our motel. The entire experience was totally awesome!!! We've referred several friends to them if they will be anywhere near Woodland (i.e., Sacramento, etc.) The food is creative (beet salad is sublime), beautifully presented, tastes wonderful, the wine list is good, the wait staff very friendly, even when busy. Their pastry chef's choices are wonderful, too -- blow your diet on the Meyer lemon cheesecake! We made the trip this week, SPECIFICALLY, to have dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best shortribs around. Slow cooked.DCvisitorsDined on 6/15/2014We are always pleased here. Friendly service and a nice menu with good specials.Special Features:
- Favorite place to eat.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Love the beet salad. Rib eye is like butter. Lots of variety for all. Delicious and healthful foods at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!FairVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had a late dinner (began at 9pm) with a group of 6 the night prior to our son's graduation. Service was excellent, parking was easy, seating was not packed together. Overall great! The only thing I would change is that my ribeye was medium and I ordered it medium rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and QuietlovetoeatDined on 6/14/2014This was a very nice, quiet restaurant with outstanding service. We celebrated my son's graduation with lunch since his ceremony was in the evening and we were pleasantly surprised with this gem of a restaurant. It was small and intimate and we were able to have good conversation. Did I mention the great service? The food was good, but the service will definitely bring us back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Findgood2enjoyDined on 6/12/2014Woodland is a historic small town with a rural feel, it was a nice surprise to find a farm to table ecellent restuarant with an calm but upscale menu and wine list.Special Features:
- TSLACHOWDined on 6/11/2014We've eaten a lot of Prime Rib over the decades and it doesn't get any better than this! Tom and LucyI would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 61 reviews are from the Kitchen428 Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great for lunchSatisfiedCustomerDined on 5/17/2014Used 428 for large family lunch after son's graduation from college. Place was quiet, food was good, and service was attentive. I would definitely go to Kitchen 428 again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceTammySDined on 5/11/2014We came here for dinner on a Sunday afternoon. The atmosphere is very casual, the service was OK and the food was OK. I started with the spinach strawberry salad, which was, BY FAR, the highlight of the meal. I had the rosemary & red wine braised beef short rib. The beef tasted OK but not a lot of wine or rosemary. My dish also came with a bland squash succotash, which was fine - but it didn't really add much to the dish. The problem I have is that it was NOT a $22 meal. $14, maybe $16, but not $22... not with a screaming kid sitting 4 feet away and a water glass that spent a lot of time empty. All told, we spent $111 + tip - not worth it! If I had to go again, I would probably order the strawberry spinach salad and add some chicken to it.
- Saturday lunchOnehorsetownDined on 5/10/2014Able to make reservations last minute for out of town guest lunch. Great good, sat in nice corner with plenty of room. Did however add a 17% tip to bill that I felt was steep for a sandwich lunch of 6 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againJoelDined on 5/4/2014This was our second visit, and it was just as good as the first time. Food and service were both very good. It was a Sunday evening, and was very quiet. A/C was cold.Special Features:
- FIRST TIMENAPAJIMDined on 5/3/2014THIS WAS OUR FIRST VISIT TO KITCHEN 428. IT WAS A VERY PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. I LIKED THE BAR AREA, CLASSIC "OLD BOY'S " KINDA PLACE. THE RESTAURANT WAS ALSO NICE. SERVICE WAS SPOT ON THROUGHOUT THE MEAL. STEAK WAS TASTY AND TENDER, BURGER WAS BIG AND JUICY AND THE KAMIKAZE WAS EXCELLENT. A NICE DESSERT WAS PROVIDED FOR OUR FRIENDS ANNIVERSARY. WOULD GO AGAIN NEXT TIME WE ARE IN THE AREA. NAPSpecial Features:
- Great lunch experienceclearmistDined on 4/27/2014We visited Kitchen428 for lunch on a road trip to Yosemite. The food choices were excellent for our multi-generational family, entrees split easily for smaller appetites to share and we enjoyed the excellent presentation of delicious cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2014Great addition to Woodland and Yolo County. Owner on site and went out of her way to talk to us & seemingly all patrons.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale dining in Woodland, CANDChanDined on 4/26/2014We were delighted to find a nice upscale restaurant amongst the Mexican and BBQ places in Woodland, CA. The food was good, the atmosphere was very nice and the service was good. My short ribs were a bit dry, but the ciopinno was very good. We will dine there again.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Thank you for a wonderful Easter Brunch. My sister was here from Seattle visiting and she loved the place. I really like the unique way that you present the check to customers....I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem for nowHurkDined on 4/11/2014Date night with the wife and found this great place from a posting from Yolo County Visitor Facebook page. Our waiter Louis made us right at home, answered all our questions without felling rushed! The food was prepared and presented with great care and quality. The atmosphere is rustic with de-door and windows on the celling and walls. Having been in the restaurant business myself for twenty years this place deserves you try it at lease once. I know my wife and I will be back and probably make this a go to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table needs spacelibraryvolunteerDined on 4/4/2014Food great. We sat at the table next to the door between the restaurant and the bar. Constant stream of people and noise. Could not carry out a decent conversation because of the noise. Would go back but only if we could sit at a different part of the establishment.Special Features:
- A++ Restaurant in WoodlandhappywoodlanderDined on 3/23/2014Overall experience is great. Food is always good and service is great. So happy to have a place to bring out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dining experienceJosefinamarieDined on 3/22/2014We hadn't ever eaten in Woodland, and decided that since we were attending a concert at Mondavi, we'd try a Woodland restaurant. This was a great choice. Good service and interesting, fresh, local food. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We headed north from DavisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/18/2014We headed north from Davis and were thrilled to find Kitchen428. We will be back!! The food was yummy, service great and atmosphere relaxed and peaceful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot winter datekwahdavidDined on 3/14/2014It was all a lot better than good. Tried the winter beet salad. Refreshing. Tried the clam chowder a Friday must. Had the clam and salmon cakes. Meaty. Instead of very grudging amounts of meat. Had the portobello cap as an entree. Yummy veggie mealI would recommend this to a friend.
- Best airport diningJeeLawDined on 3/7/2014We picked up friends from Sac airport and wanted a good meal on the way to Wine Country. Kitchen428 was perfect. Close to airport took 113 to 80-so convenient and food and service were great.Special Features:
- Our Discovery, again!TimothyDined on 3/6/2014We live in the east bay and we need no occasion to drive 1 hour to have a wonderful dinner. We told our cousins, who live in Rocklin, to meet us half way at a restaurant that we discovered about a year ago. They love good food and atmosphere as we do. Again, we were not disappointed on any level... Good happy hour drinks, great service, great food and good company makes for a fun get-a-way for dinner. We always have a great dinner experience at our 'discovery'! Your darn right we will come back to do it all over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had to be in Woodland forTandTVIPDined on 3/6/2014Had to be in Woodland for a family event but needed dinner before. Made a reservation for an early dinner. The wait staff was very attentive. The food was very good. The restaurant is very nice and comfortable. Love the old doors hanging from the rafters. Really a lovely dinner. Our waitress was excellent. She didn't hover but was there whenever needed. Would go back again if in Woodland. The short ribs were really good. Large portion so I took half home for lunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, terrible waiterPattyDined on 3/1/2014I am sorry to report that while Kitchen 428 has fantastic food, our waiter, Michael, very nearly spoiled our evening. His mood ranged from zero personality to acting ticked off that he had to wait on two women for dinner. When we asked him to describe the specials, he was unenthusiastic, acted bored and did nothing to make the specials sound special! The food at Kitchen 428 is excellent. We were disappointed that our enjoyment of the evening was affected by the waiter's attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good valueelalmiranteDined on 3/1/2014The menu is very interesting. Best sliders I've ever had. We had brunch last Saturday. Great prices, all you want Mimosas for $12, good Brunch menu. Service was great. They have a good draft beer selection and full bar. We have also eaten in the restaurant, and enjoyed the food there as well. Worth the drive to Woodland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, emphasis on localOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Great food, emphasis on local sources. Good service and located in a historic building. Reasonable pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen 428 is great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Loved this place Food was great, service was super. The experience could not have been better. How this place does not have wider acclaim, I don't know.Special Features:
- Perfect V-Day DinnerColadleyDined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I made a reservation for 8:30 on Valentine's day. We arrived at 8:25 and were seated immediately. Our server was helpful and attentive. Food arrived in decent time. We had the artichoke dip appetizer which was very well-made. My boyfriend had the prime rib with brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes and a drink made with gin and grapefruit, and I had the beet salad and a glass of moscato. All of our food was very delicious and definitely worth the price. We will definitely return for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spaceJasonDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's Day dinner -great ambience, great service. Had the venison osso bucco and the ribeye, both were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I celebrated Valentines Day with dinner here. We loved the quiet, beautiful fine dining room. The service was perfect and we especially enjoyed our busboy. Food was the right temperature and had a beautiful presentation. The appetizers were delicious - the macaroni and cheese alone will bring me back! We shared a filet steak and the beet salad. The filet was cooked exactly to our order, but had an odd texture. The beet salad was colorful, plentiful and yummy. We will definitely return to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Daydiner123Dined on 2/14/2014What a great place! We had been looking for a nice steak place to go fand we found this on Yelp. I don't know how I could have not known about this place for so long! First, the service was great. Not to hovering but very aware of us. We never had to wonder where the wait staff were. Secondly, the food is remarkable! My husband had the Filet Mignon and Lobster and I think he was in heaven! I had the Prime Rib and it was perfect. The only reason I would not give the place five stars overall is because they sat us in an area where we were right next to the kitchen.. Since we were early diners, I had expected a slightly better table. Other than that, I would give this place a 5 star rating! Yummy! And very romantic :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four StarsNickDined on 2/12/2014I've lunched twice at Kitchen428 and will probably return soon for dinner, even though I live in Davis. I came back the second time because the prime rib sandwich I had on the first visit was arrestingly good. Last Wednesday I went with a friend who said that the bacon hamburger he ordered was exceptional. We both ate a dessert of cheesecake flavored with local Meyer lemons and found it very good. I have seen the wine list and though it doesn't compare yet with the Morrison's Upstairs wine list, it looks promising. This is a restaurant that deserves to survive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.