3499 16th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kitchenstorysf.com/
- Phone: 4155254905x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 8:00am-3:00pm
Lunch: Daily 8:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Pan-Asian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Kasem Saengsawang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email the restaurant directly at email@example.com
A word from Kitchen Story
California cuisine serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kitchen Story reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (42)great for brunch (37)good for groups (24)great for outdoor dining (20)great for lunch (17)hot spot (13)special occasion (11)romantic (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Always a favoriteGregDined on 9/27/2014Live outside the city but always make it to Kitchen Story when possible. Great menu, very different, always friendly service and easy to make reservations.Special Features:
- Tasteless cold steakWhatwasthatVIPDined on 9/26/2014My partner's burger was served with my sides, while I waited an additional 20 minutes for my cold dried inedible steak. The service could barely speak English and I was starving so I chewed the meat like is was an old shoe. Place is insanely cramped. I've been here for brunch and it was fine; however, they have a long way to go for dinner service. I mentioned my displeasure and nothing was done about it. I'm not exaggerating here.
- Skip lunch, go for brunchtastytreatDined on 9/23/2014Lunch was underwhelming. My sweetheart and I have been on several occasions for brunch or dinner. We were disappointed in lunch although we brought my parents and mom loved her BLT. I ordered the fish sandwich it was nearly impossible to eat, and flavorless (not sure what I was expecting from tilapia). My bf ordered the burger and said the bread was stale and burger was unimpressive. We won't be returning for lunch, but we still like it for brunch and dinner. The service is always distant, and we have ALWAYS had to wait even though we make a reservation. Generally the tastiness of the food makes Kitchen Story worth going to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an enjoyable evening...datesnmatesDined on 9/18/2014Kitchen Story has been a refreshing addition to the Castro. This was our second visit and we think this restaurant is a real gem. We had dinner with some out-of-town guests and everyone enjoyed their food. The portions were very generous (almost too much... can you say that?), and the flavors were nice... three of us had beef dishes and one had the Pad Thai. The Pad Thai was presented on a large cutting board and our guest raved about it. I've had lots of Pad Thai in this town, but I haven't seen anything like this... I'll probably order it next time and try it out. I loved my short rib tacos! Keep up the good work and keep innovating!Special Features:
- yumyumyumsmartSFDined on 9/15/2014Delicious and filling. omurice honey butter light fluffy eggs delicious blueberry scone Everyone was very happy!Special Features:
- Ok food and poor serviceGarpeDined on 9/12/2014I went here on a whim with my wife; I hadn't heard much about it but it looked popular and the decor is inviting. Unfortunately it wasn't a great experience in the end. The waiter didn't have my booking in the system and the main course took a very long time to arrive (we had to ask twice about where it was) so it scores low points for service. And the food itself was fine when it arrived, but not good enough to justify the price. If you're after this sort of food there's places in SF that have the same quality at about two-thirds the price. I can forgive the service as a one-off, and the restaurant is nice enough otherwise, but given the prices we won't be coming back.
- Get the order right-NotaskingthatmuchVIPDined on 9/7/2014We ordered no cilantro rice. Didn't matter. And the pork belly was pork fat.Special Features:
- Delight out of town guestsmtf419VIPDined on 9/6/2014I bring all out of town guests to Kitchen Story. It's not generally on the tourist maps, but is located in a vibrant section of the Castro, just a few blocks from Dolores Park and the Mission. While locals line up around the corner for weekend brunch (and the Millionnaire's bacon), dinner and weekly breakfast are total sleepers that are worth a trip. Thai fusion permeates every dish, even traditional items like mascarpone stuffed french toast get an uplift that makes them special.Special Features:
- Love Kitchen StoryNU2SFDined on 9/5/2014We love Kitchen Story! The food is always good, the atmosphere is ideal for small groups or date night. My only critique it that it is always way to hot in the restaurant and with only a t-shirt on I should not be sweating. This is the reason for the FAIR rating for Ambiance. Please open a window or get AC!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Brunch!YoungprofdinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Delicious brunch! Food is clearly made with very high quality ingredients and dishes are presented beautifully and with tons of flavor! Service was fast & friendly. Highly recommend if you're looking for something a little more interesting than your classic breakfast options.Special Features:
- California CuisineGinnyVIPDined on 9/4/2014It shows how far we've come, California Cuisine now means Thai Beware, this restaurant does not let you see the menu on open table Not because it's changing, it doesn't and it's quite limited My guest quizzed the waiter about the salmon, yes it's wild caught, never did he mention it's cubed and fried, and in a sweet and sour sauce, disgusting to her, she had to send it back Won't be coming here again and disappointed in open table for the bum steer
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Me and 8 of my buds got a table here. Dinner was awesome. Highly recommend the fried chicken and mango salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Menu Well ExecutedtopocurlsDined on 8/31/2014Went with friends for dinner. Was seated immediately. Menu is very creative. Loved the Pork Shank, fried rice, and seafood pad Thai. The short rib tacos waere excellent. A bit noisy. Decor was inviting. Service a bit abrupt but responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantpcfoodieDined on 8/26/2014Great food and one member of our party is particularly fussy about what she has and she thought it was great.Special Features:
- Consistently goodKenHendSFDined on 8/25/2014Always enjoy the neighborhood gem. Service is always prompt and efficient.Special Features:
- Cozy and CoolNinjaDined on 8/23/2014Great atmosphere. Fantastic food. Okay wine selection.Special Features:
- Sooo GoodDaDiner14Dined on 8/23/2014The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was very delicious. The Millionaire's Way is definitely worth it. The Pop Belly was very tasty. I recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- crispy curried goodnesslillyputianDined on 8/18/2014we ordered different things and shared. the fried chicken & curry sauce was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Altogether Too SweetCampSFDCVIPDined on 8/16/2014On paper, the menu reads wonderfully. I really wanted to love this place. However, every dish we tried at dinner (Castro Tower, Spicy Kobe Rolls, the Short Rib Tacos especially and even the E-Sarn Chicken Salad) had an unwelcome element of sweetness to it. Perhaps this is why they are a more popular brunch location? The portions are generous and the complimentary biscuits were very good. The location is great and the service was friendly and attentive. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and try again but it's unlikely that I could talk my husband into to it.Special Features:
- Awesome food. Loud. Meeh serviceCassDined on 8/15/2014Mom the food was so delicious I would recommend it but we felt like the waiters were a bit out off by requests and it was so loud we had to tell pretty loud to talk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicioseginosDined on 8/14/2014The food was so good, unique with lots of new flavors. Great service as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a neighborhood staple!LeoinSFVIPDined on 7/31/2014Always great service and friendly faces, good is consistent - but we would recommend varying the menu from time to time to keep us interested in returning and seeing what's new. Good wine / beer list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Good unique food, fresh too. Way too expensive for the area.Special Features:
- Food +, service -, price -brandonhVIPDined on 7/29/2014Four dollars for a nonalcoholic simple drink, with no refills? Took over 1.5 hours for two people with just appetizers & entrees.
- BrunchLove2TravelJLTWWDDined on 7/28/2014The food was excellent. I ordered KS's own omelet and was not disappointed. The eggs were fluffy and light. I was worried about an omelet containing soy sauce, and should have asked for them to leave it off, however it was not over whelming. The sausage, lemongrass and asparagus all shined through for a great taste. I substituted fruit for the potatoes. There was a nice mix of berries and melons, and all seemed fresh and flavorful. Since we were on vacation, it was brunch on a Monday morning and not too crowded. However, there seemed to be only 2 wait staff for the restaurant. We ordered after a short wait, but it seemed to take a very long time to get our bottomless mimosa order, and the food came shortly after our drink order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcome neighborhood restaurantladywiththegreatdogDined on 7/12/2014staff is always warm and friendly, which makes a great restaurant because there are a lot of restaurant choices with good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceHappyfleeceDined on 7/9/2014The staff here were super attentive and very friendly. The food was great too...must have the spicy kobe beef wraps and they ahi tuna bites! The short rib tacos were yummy too! Wish they had a full bar or at least beer on tap...but otherwise food and service was excellent!Special Features:
- Needs to up its serviceBeverlyVIPDined on 7/8/2014Service was slow and kept getting confused. Food was good. They kept the doors open for a long time and it was freezing. I don't think I'll go back.Special Features:
- California/Asian Fusion..very goodKJSFVIPDined on 7/5/2014Delightful dinner. Only problem was that the noodle soup was VERY (too) spicy, which was not at all expected
- Fun and deliciousMarkVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food at Kitchen Story is really fun, and extremely tasty. The menu has a nice variety for every taste, and the service is very friendly. Fun ambiance in a great location. We had a party of five who happily shared a variety of small and large plates. This is our second visit to Kitchen Story and the place gets better and better!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014Great food with tasty ingredients. Couldn't be happier, if only the waiter was a little nicer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodStephenVIPDined on 6/26/2014Tangerine was one of our favs in San Francisco. We were very sad when it went away. We just rediscovered her new owners: Kitchen Story. What a find. Fabulous food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidly deliciousTracyDined on 6/22/2014Never disappoints. Delicious food, especially the beef noodle soup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for bday Dinnerernie334Dined on 6/21/2014We had 10 ppl in our party and they are very welcome. Services is excellent. Loved their food. Thanks so much.Special Features:
- Bacon!WillDined on 6/16/2014As everyone mentioned millionaires bacon is a must. Had the stuffed toast which was good, and lastly had the fried chicken which was very juice and tender on the inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatinghansDined on 6/13/2014Wonderful neighborhood restaurant ... Delicious food that are reasonably priced ... My friends and I just keep on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Breakfast EverBigDaneDined on 6/6/2014The food was delicious and the service friendly and efficient. My poached eggs were just right and the bacon was crispy and tasty. My husband's omelette and potatoes were delicious too; he loved the Asian flavors. We went on a week day morning so it was quiet and relaxed inside. We loved watching the lively neighborhood through the windows.Special Features:
- amazing!Laura1230Dined on 6/3/2014Loved this place for their yummy food! You have to get the cheeseburger with the million dollar bacon. O.M.G. is all I have to say!Special Features:
- The following 146 reviews are from the Kitchen Story reviews archive.
- Wonderful !!!!JOEFAMDined on 5/21/2014What a perfect little neighborhood gem. The staff is sweet polite and friendly. I can't wait to go back. The food is great. Beautiful presentation. It's a well maintained clean restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good price & service.CRTravelDined on 5/21/2014Their menu showed a good variety for good prices. There were a lot of breakfast, brunch, and lunch options. The food was good! Go ahead and try it!Special Features: